2011-2012 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for the info. It's so helpful! You're awesome!

Your welcome!! I also hear word of some ppl giving up their spots, so you guys should def see movement soon (im surrounded by way too many pre meds lol).

Cant wait to see you on the other side :)

Members don't see this ad.

For the recent fellow HP waitlisters... Does your online status page list a campus preference?
In my application summary page, it reads "Campus: Binghamton". It used to say Syracuse before I was placed on the HPWL. I also marked either campus as a "preference" when we had to choose.

Your welcome!! I also hear word of some ppl giving up their spots, so you guys should def see movement soon (im surrounded by way too many pre meds lol).

Cant wait to see you on the other side :)
haha. Hopefully, I will see you on the other side.

Members don't see this ad :)
same here. mine said syracuse but got change to bing. i chose bing as my first choice and syracuse as second.

Two more weeks of wait list hell... make it go by fast!!!!!

it is so quiet in here. no one has anything to say?

When I scan the threads of all the schools and I see you posting last on Upstates I think, Yipeeeeeee harlemdoc is in...........then I check! You will hear good news I hope in about 1,155,500 seconds.............

Yes i am hoping for good news. And if that is the case... we are doing drinks the first day of classes!

Hi guys, 2013 cycle applicant here. Just curious if anyone who knows would mind sharing the avg MCAT/GPA for students that matriculated at Upstate in 2010 and or 2011. I am wondering if the data on the LizzyM spreadsheet (3.59/31.4 matriculant averages) is still relatively accurate. The reason that I ask is that the data on the Upstate website is for the class of 2012 (so those who matriculated at Upstate in fall 2008), and a reputable SDN poster told me that sometimes interviewees are given recent matriculant data in their interview folders. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Just withdrew from high priority waitlist. Hope it benefits those of you on the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he is going to NYMC unless he gets off downstate's waitlist, which he is likely to do. Often, when a person withdraws, they never go back to the thread. Once I get the boot or withdraw, I don't go back. Anyway Harlem, hope that waitlist moves soon for you.

o ok... yeah keeping my fingers crossed as may 15 approaches.

Hey where did you decide on going?

Hey HarlemDoc, I do check out the thread for my out of curiosity about any waitlist movement. But I didn't see your post b/c this thread hasnt been at the top of the forum when I've checked out the site.

As of right now I have a seat at NYMC which I'm pumped to have. Before interviewing, I was a little hesitant about the school b/c of all the hate it gets on SDN but I thought the school was nice with chill people. The match list is pretty good for NYC residencies which I am most interested in. I am also sitting on an alternate list for Downstate which I loved b/c of clinical exposure and in-state tuition. I will take a Downstate acceptance over NYMC should that happen but if not NYMC will be my spot for the next 4 years.

As for upstate, I definitely liked the school and facilities but I think NYMC or Downstate were a better fit especially because their match lists are more NYC heavy.

Best of Luck!

Thanks man. Good luck with NYMC and hopefully you get into downstate too.

As for upstate, I definitely liked the school and facilities but I think NYMC or Downstate were a better fit especially because their match lists are more NYC heavy.

We all have our own reasons, but I wouldn't necessarily judge a school by the geographic distribution of its match list. I would guess that most people at NYMC and Downstate place a high priority on living near NYC, so it follows that more of them would choose residencies there. If that is you then they probably are a better fit, but just know that simply matching into NYC is not all that difficult. In any case, Upstate has plenty of connections there.

We all have our own reasons, but I wouldn't necessarily judge a school by the geographic distribution of its match list. I would guess that most people at NYMC and Downstate place a high priority on living near NYC, so it follows that more of them would choose residencies there. If that is you then they probably are a better fit, but just know that simply matching into NYC is not all that difficult. In any case, Upstate has plenty of connections there.

Duly noted. Best of luck to all of those at Upstate and those waiting for some good news.

Just withdrew my acceptance today, hopefully someone waiting here will get a spot. Good luck everyone!

so, i decided to commit to upstate today :)

i submitted my housing application to "[email protected]" as a scanned attachment today. Is that how we were supposed to send it in?? That email was listed as the contact email for Residence Life.

also, does anyone know if on campus housing is guaranteed at upstate?

i know its a bit late to be asking that.... but still. ;)

I spoke to the admissions office and was told the High Priority list should start moving tomorrow.

Still nothing. I guess the list didn't start moving on Friday. . .

So I went back and read my HP wl email and they said you could call and find out the likelihood of getting in based on your position on the list in May... Has anyone done that?

I am afraid to. lol. don't know why.

I called last Thursday and they at least had the HP rankings set up. Unfortunately I am in a "gray area" (on the HP list) so I have no idea what that means.

I called the office today. They said they are making calls on the wait-list... He didn't say where I was on the list, except that I would receive a call if they got to my name.

The waiting continues.

I called the office today. They said they are making calls on the wait-list... He didn't say where I was on the list, except that I would receive a call if they got to my name.

The waiting continues.
I spoke to the office again this week. I was also told they were making calls on the list and that I was "in an area that has been reached in the past." I hope they reach it again this year!

I spoke to the office again this week. I was also told they were making calls on the list and that I was "in an area that has been reached in the past." I hope they reach it again this year!

Man you are lucky. The guy I spoke to would not tell me anything about my chances...

Just withdrew my HP, hope someone on this thread gets it. Goodluck

I was wondering if any current students or anyone who may know a thing or two about this could comment.

Is it possible to get residency for in state tuition without buying a house? Have any out of state students managed to get residency by 2nd year?

I've looked this over [ http://www.suny.edu/Student/paying_residence.cfm ] but looking to see if anyone can share their experience with this.

I've been accepted and would love to attend but I'm not sure I can justify the high tuition as an out of state student! :(

I was wondering if any current students or anyone who may know a thing or two about this could comment.

Is it possible to get residency for in state tuition without buying a house? Have any out of state students managed to get residency by 2nd year?

I've looked this over [ http://www.suny.edu/Student/paying_residence.cfm ] but looking to see if anyone can share their experience with this.

I've been accepted and would love to attend but I'm not sure I can justify the high tuition as an out of state student! :(

I could be wrong about this, but I thought I'd heard someone from the financial aid saying that as of some future date, the SUNY board of trustees or whoever was no longer going to allow changes from OOS to IS, so if you came in OOS you'd stay that way. But, I'm pretty iffy on that, honestly, so, I would say call someone at Upstate and ask, definitely.

Anyone hear that too? Pretty sure I didn't hallucinate it, but I am crazy.

I could be wrong about this, but I thought I'd heard someone from the financial aid saying that as of some future date, the SUNY board of trustees or whoever was no longer going to allow changes from OOS to IS, so if you came in OOS you'd stay that way. But, I'm pretty iffy on that, honestly, so, I would say call someone at Upstate and ask, definitely.

Anyone hear that too? Pretty sure I didn't hallucinate it, but I am crazy.

Oh, that doesn't sound good. I vaguely remember someone saying it was possible on interview day but can't be sure. Thanks for the info though. I'll def call them about it!

Are they making calls? No one on SDN has gotten in after the May 15th deadline? Also when I called I had been "reached in the past" yet its almost early June so is there a day when there is significant movement and they just call everyone?

Are they making calls? No one on SDN has gotten in after the May 15th deadline? Also when I called I had been "reached in the past" yet its almost early June so is there a day when there is significant movement and they just call everyone?
I have no idea. I hope it starts moving soon!

Hey India,

Did you withdraw from SUNY Upstate's waitlist? So I can have your spot in case, since you decided on Einstein! hehe.

I'm waiting on financial aid! So I'm still on the waitlist to see if upstate throws me a bunch of money doubt they will though so I will almost certainly not be attending. Probably will withdraw if I don't hear anything by the end of next week

Does anyone know if the regular waitlist is ranked? And is the ranking mobile depending on updates?

I am not sure if the reg wait list is ranked... but.. I know that upstate doesn't accept updates after a decision has been made on your application... (was told this personally from admissions).

On a side note.. seems like most schs have seen some waitlist action on sdn except for upstate.. any hp waitlist admits?

Status
Not open for further replies.