2011-2012 Wake Forest University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know how much this secondary is? I see no link for payment in it. Im trying to decide if filling this out is worth my money. I guess passing the screening is pretty nice (the first positive feedback from this whole process), but Wake was my reach school I think with stats of 3.4cgpa, 3.2 sgpa, 35Q, OOS. Does anybody know what % of secondaries get interviews? It kills me to fork out so much money when I know Im on the lower end of GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know how much this secondary is? I see no link for payment in it. Im trying to decide if filling this out is worth my money. I guess passing the screening is pretty nice (the first positive feedback from this whole process), but Wake was my reach school I think with stats of 3.4cgpa, 3.2 sgpa, 35Q, OOS. Does anybody know what % of secondaries get interviews? It kills me to fork out so much money when I know Im on the lower end of GPA.

MSAR says that the secondary fee is $65.

Received the rejection letter yesterday :(
Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that these statistics did not match the ones that I calculated from the MSAR. I am an OOS applicant to Wake as well .. one of my considerations on OOS was based off of interview percentages

yeah i agree.. wake interviews like 57% OOS

yeah i agree.. wake interviews like 57% OOS

Wake interviews/accepts more IS students, it's just if you're in NC a lot of those kids will chose IS school over Wake purely on tuition ( hence making matriculation numbers higher for OOS). I know a lot of kids from WFUSOM that have said they same thing. So the numbers might be a little skewed.

Can someone post/PM the link for secondary status page? I have not received any notification or emails despite being verified in the middle of June.

Can someone post/PM the link for secondary status page? I have not received any notification or emails despite being verified in the middle of June.

This is the e-mail everyone gets:

If you wish to see the status of your application, click on this URL (Please Note: this is not our Secondary Application, its only a link to check the status of your application):

https://www.hrfin.wfubmc.edu:8022/psp/pspro/EMPLOYEE/EMPL/h/?tab=PAPP_GUEST

-- In the Guest Links box, click on Application Status, which is under the heading Admissions in the Medical School block.
-- In the box that comes up, enter your User ID and Application Nbr as they appear below, and your last name.
-- Click on Search.
-- Your application status will come up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Included in the e-mail are your User ID and Applicant Nbr codes. You have to wait until Wake assigns these to you; it's not like other secondary applications where you create your own username and password.

Ah, well it looks like I'll have to wait a little longer. Thanks for the help :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email from Wake saying they got my primary (verified 6/28) and are now considering whether I'll get the secondary or not. Sounds like round 2 for this (earlier submitters already have their secondaries)

Edit: I'm dumb - status actually says I've already been evaluated and I will be getting the secondary in the next 1-2 weeks

Last edited:
Verified Tuesday 7/5, got an email today saying they got my AMCAS and telling me how to check my status, and when I did it said they were sending me the secondary via email, but that it might take up to 2 weeks because they are being sent in batches.

uh...mine says i'm still under review...so you just checked back a few hours later and what were the exact words that it had changed to? thanks!

Just got an email from Wake saying they got my primary (verified 6/28) and are now considering whether I'll get the secondary or not. Sounds like round 2 for this (earlier submitters already have their secondaries)

Edit: I'm dumb - status actually says I've already been evaluated and I will be getting the secondary in the next 1-2 weeks

I did, too. I definitely think we're in round 2. Best of luck!

uh...mine says i'm still under review...so you just checked back a few hours later and what were the exact words that it had changed to? thanks!

"Your AMCAS application has been evaluated and we are sending you our secondary application by e-mail.* Please allow 2 weeks for the application to be sent to you as we send them out in batches."

I hope that's helpful.

"Your AMCAS application has been evaluated and we are sending you our secondary application by e-mail.* Please allow 2 weeks for the application to be sent to you as we send them out in batches."

I reallllly want that email. Patience is a virtue. Blah blah blah.

I am unsubscribing from the thread holding my first rejection. Please don't cry; it needs to be done. Good luck to all of you!

i'm actually kind of confused. i think everyone gets the "we're reviewing your app right now and we are going to send you the decision by email"...then the status changes i think. you might not have been rejected? i'm not sure though and don't want to give you false hope either.

i'm actually kind of confused. i think everyone gets the "we're reviewing your app right now and we are going to send you the decision by email"...then the status changes i think. you might not have been rejected? i'm not sure though and don't want to give you false hope either.

I received a rejection e-mail. It's official. E-mailed Irene to ask why, but no response yet or probably ever. They don't want to mess with pre-secondary-rejected swine.

I received a rejection e-mail. It's official. E-mailed Irene to ask why, but no response yet or probably ever. They don't want to mess with pre-secondary-rejected swine.

Your stats are amazing, and you are far from swine haha. You'll land somewhere great.

looking at your stats, they probably figured you wouldn't attend (aka using them as a backup)...only explanation I have

my status changed within 1 hr of the 'we've received your amcas' email yesterday - receiving secondary! :luck: to all

Rejected pre-secondary. OOS; 3.3-3.4 cGPA/32Q. GL to everyone! :xf:

Have you guys even looked at the stuff they accomplished? Literally everything they've been doing is a first with it comes to regenerative medicine.

1) Successfully growing and implanting bladders entirely in the lab.
2) Engineering functional petri dish livers.
3) Engineering and successfully implanting urethras.
4) Engineering penile erectile tissue (no implantation yet)

Besides, If you've done any research you know that nothing materializes overnight in any feild. The fact that they've made any breakthroughs at all is outstanding, let alone the extraordinary breadth of their work.

From their website: "Our scientists were the first in the world to successfully implant a laboratory-grown organ into humans and today are working to grow more than 30 different organs and tissues in the laboratory."

http://www.wakehealth.edu/Research/WFIRM/A-Record-of-Firsts.htm

Oh great, dump money into research so transgender individuals can fulfill their dream of having a working penis. Oh brother.

I'm thinking of foregoing the personal statement essay. I can't find anything on their site that would allow me to meaningfully address "Why Wake?" I wish there was a more detailed description of the curriculum or a student handbook.

Or I may just extrapolate on my hobbies since I didn't do that on my AMCAS primary.

Oh great, dump money into research so transgender individuals can fulfill their dream of having a working penis. Oh brother.

~1/2000 babies born every year are intersex... something tells me this research is more for them :\

I'm thinking of foregoing the personal statement essay. I can't find anything on their site that would allow me to meaningfully address "Why Wake?" I wish there was a more detailed description of the curriculum or a student handbook.

Or I may just extrapolate on my hobbies since I didn't do that on my AMCAS primary.

Figure out "why Wake." They're big on hearing about how awesome they are.

Sure. I mean, its not like Hypospadias is the second most common male birth defect and often requires surgery that can damage erectile tissue development.

I know that the essays are unlimited but what do you guys think is a good size response? About 400-500 words?

thanks

My first essay is 558 words; I opted for the second required essay. I found this essay challenging and requiring a lot of thought. I was under the impression that most medical students don't know their intended area of practice until doing their rotations.

I anticipate my personal essay being considerably shorter, somewhere between 300 and 400 words.

Hey for all of you who paid with a credit card, did you get any sort of confirmation of payment email? Most schools have sent me one and Wake did not so I'm just wondering if something got messed up.

My first essay is 558 words; I opted for the second required essay. I found this essay challenging and requiring a lot of thought. I was under the impression that most medical students don't know their intended area of practice until doing their rotations.

I anticipate my personal essay being considerably shorter, somewhere between 300 and 400 words.
for the second essay Q - do you think that they are looking for you to express interest in a specific specialty, or do they want a more general answer?

i still havent received any response other than the "check your status" email and I submitted almost 3 weeks ago

for the second essay Q - do you think that they are looking for you to express interest in a specific specialty, or do they want a more general answer?

Probably a general answer. Unless you have compelling reasons, you will be hard-pressed to saying you are well-suited for a particular specialty. I talked about my dedication to becoming a clinician who practices within an urban setting, and explained how my experience and philosophies resonate with this commitment.

can any current student comment on the demographics of winston-salem? is it more on the urban side with a diverse population or more rural?

can any current student comment on the demographics of winston-salem? is it more on the urban side with a diverse population or more rural?

Not a student but grew up in W-S...more rural but it's definitely growing, not very diverse (conservative area for sure)...it's nice town to raise a family and pretty low key place. I think it's perfect for a college town area but then again I'm biased. Honestly the best way to decide is to check it out for yourself

Not a student but grew up in W-S...more rural but it's definitely growing, not very diverse (conservative area for sure)...it's nice town to raise a family and pretty low key place. I think it's perfect for a college town area but then again I'm biased. Honestly the best way to decide is to check it out for yourself

If I interview here, I will be contacting you to give me a little tour :p. :xf:

Thats a pretty good description YNK. I grew up in Winston too.
I also have to say that there's a thriving arts scene here. Not comparable to large cities, but for Winston Salems size theres plenty to do. dadaws.com is a good place to start if you're visiting town.
That and if you cant find something you want to eat on fourth street you dont know good food when you see it.

Speaking to the urban/rural question the medical campus is downtown but its not more than a few minutes in any directions to the suburbs. I would say there is limited affordable housing in the downtown area that is going to be on the decent side of downtown. I know a few students at the school that rented houses near the main university campus and one that rented out one of my neighbors basement. Also, if you've exhausted everything in Winston Salem, Greensboro is at most twenty five minutes down I-40

Hello all,

Just wondering when people received an email from Wake? I was verified on 7/7 and have not received an email yet...not sure what that means!

Status
Not open for further replies.