2011-2012 Wake Forest University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New Status Update: Secondary Has Been Received. Please Wait 2-3 Weeks before File becomes Complete....they really love the 2-3 weeks lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I posted a while ago when my status changed, telling me I was getting their secondary, and I finally got it today.

Relatedly... I did not know that we only have 3 weeks to submit from the time we get the email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well they looked at my application today, noticed I was a grad student, and sent me this:
Dear Applicant:

You have indicated on your AMCAS application that you will have your graduate degree by matriculation in July 2012. Our policy on accepting students from a graduate program is: " If selected, the student must satisfactorily complete all requirements for the graduate degree prior to the time of enrollment of the medical school class to which he or she has been admitted." Consistent with our policy, we will require documentation from your advisor that you will complete the degree by July 1, 2012. If you are accepted and your graduate degree is not finished by July 1, 2012, you will not be able to matriculate. We will accept the documentation by email from your advisor, regular mail or fax at 336-716-9593. If we do not hear from you within three weeks, your application will be withdrawn from further consideration.

Sincerely,

Irene B. Tise
Admissions Officer, Student Admissions
Wake Forest School of Medicine
Medical Center Boulevard
Winston-Salem, NC 27157

I'll get on this tomorrow! Damn you, grad school! Always getting in my way...
I hope they look at my stuff right after my advisor sends them an email.

Verified 7/6, received secondary today 7/19. Submitted today! Hope to hear something good.

So there has been mixed replies about this personal statement essay - did any one simply just copy and paste their AMCAS PS, or are people writing a more "Why Wake essay" or combining both, etc. Just trying to get some opinions, so thanks!

So there has been mixed replies about this personal statement essay - did any one simply just copy and paste their AMCAS PS, or are people writing a more "Why Wake essay" or combining both, etc. Just trying to get some opinions, so thanks!

I definitely wouldn't just copy and paste your personal statement from the AMCAS app. If you don't have anything else to say, just leave it blank. I'm also pondering what to put here... I think I'll probably write a "why Wake" paragraph or two.

Well they looked at my application today, noticed I was a grad student, and sent me this:
Dear Applicant:

You have indicated on your AMCAS application that you will have your graduate degree by matriculation in July 2012. Our policy on accepting students from a graduate program is: “ If selected, the student must satisfactorily complete all requirements for the graduate degree prior to the time of enrollment of the medical school class to which he or she has been admitted.” Consistent with our policy, we will require documentation from your advisor that you will complete the degree by July 1, 2012. If you are accepted and your graduate degree is not finished by July 1, 2012, you will not be able to matriculate. We will accept the documentation by email from your advisor, regular mail or fax at 336-716-9593. If we do not hear from you within three weeks, your application will be withdrawn from further consideration.

Sincerely,

Irene B. Tise
Admissions Officer, Student Admissions
Medical Center Boulevard
Winston-Salem, NC 27157

I'll get on this tomorrow! Damn you, grad school! Always getting in my way...
I hope they look at my stuff right after my advisor sends them an email.

They sent me this same email on 7/6, had my advisor email them 7/8, Irene replied 7/8, and I just got the secondary invite today 7/19. So based on my experience expect it to hold you back at least a week, depending on when you do it. It looks like Wake does their updates on Tuesdays. Hope this helps.

They sent me this same email on 7/6, had my advisor email them 7/8, Irene replied 7/8, and I just got the secondary invite today 7/19. So based on my experience expect it to hold you back at least a week, depending on when you do it. It looks like Wake does their updates on Tuesdays. Hope this helps.

Congrats on the invite! I'm hoping they send this message to grad student applicants of interest. Any grad students get this email and then get rejected?

Love the username and avatar, by the way. :)

Congrats on the invite! I'm hoping they send this message to grad student applicants of interest. Any grad students get this email and then get rejected?

Love the username and avatar, by the way. :)

Bumble B Tuna

Status Change from: Secondary Received; LOR will be downloaded with file in 2-3 weeks to file complete under review! Please wait 1-2 weeks!

Status Change from: Secondary Received; LOR will be downloaded with file in 2-3 weeks to file complete under review! Please wait 1-2 weeks!

+1, 1-2 weeks?! that's an amazing turn around time!

:luck: to all!

Where are you checking your status? When I follow the secondary link it just takes me to a page that has my secondary information, no status information.

Edit: I am a winner. Found it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You have to go back to the original email sent by Wake. Remember how people were checking if they got screened in or not? It's that page.

Where are you checking your status? When I follow the secondary link it just takes me to a page that has my secondary information, no status information.

The same site that notified you that you were getting your secondary. <link>

Nice- I have the 1-2 week review status too! I can't believe we'll know our fate at Wake that soon!

Just got this email:

Dear Applicant:

All materials needed for your application have been received and your file is now complete.

Your application will be reviewed throughout the year and if granted an interview, we will send you an invitation by email. Interview is by invitation from September through March. If you have not heard by April, you will receive notification of your status at that time.

Office of Medical School Admissions
Phone #: (336) 716-4264
Fax # : (336) 716-9593
Web page: http://www.wakehealth.edu/MD-Program/

just got this email:

Dear applicant:

All materials needed for your application have been received and your file is now complete.

Your application will be reviewed throughout the year and if granted an interview, we will send you an invitation by email. Interview is by invitation from september through march. If you have not heard by april, you will receive notification of your status at that time.

Office of medical school admissions
wake forest school of medicine
phone #: (336) 716-4264
fax # : (336) 716-9593
web page: http://www.wakehealth.edu/md-program/

+1

+1

Looks like we'll get an update in a week or two regarding immediate interview or delay.

Yeah, until your next status indefinitely reads "we are putting you on hold for further review to compare with the rest of the applicant pool." :rolleyes: (that's what happened to me last year).

The dreaded hold- let's hope neither one of us end up with that this year.

Last year I saw some people get flat out rejected pre-secondary, pre-interview, and post-interview.

aSagacious, if you don't mind me asking, your stats and ECs seem very competitive for a lot of schools, how did not get acccepted anywhere last cycle?

aSagacious, if you don't mind me asking, your stats and ECs seem very competitive for a lot of schools, how did not get acccepted anywhere last cycle?

This is a helluva tl;dr, so please bear with me:

A) As you can see from my year-by-year breakdown, I had a poor junior year, which unfortunately immediately preceded my first application year. It is crucial for the folks in my GPA range (when I had a 3.55, less important now) to have an upward grade trend prior to applying.

B) I tremendously underestimated the weight given to the essay portions of the application (ie primary statement, activity descriptions, secondary application essays, etc). In my opinion (and this is still my prevailing notion) I find these items to be extremely superficial and not useful for determining an applicant's personality/motivations (which is what they were designed for). I have since resigned myself to 'playing the game' since they are unavoidable and apparently hold a lot of weight.

C) I did not appreciate the competitiveness of the process, so my school selection was poor. For example, when selecting 'safety schools' my thought process was something like, 'Oh hey, a 3.55 and 30 is average at Drexel... I've got these numbers so I'll apply' (while at the same time 11000 others have this realization --> no longer a safety school). So I cannot overemphasize the importance of picking a handful of schools with a relatively low number of applicants (<4000 or so). An additional consideration that now ranks high on my list is 'out-of-state friendliness.' Many of the schools that I applied to last cycle interviewed something like 5% of all out of state applicants (and accepted half as many) making the odds difficult for even the best of applicants.

got it. well i wish u the best of luck this cycle and hopefully you will get into one of your top choices :)

I was rejected pre-secondary. Ah well, at least they didn't take anymore of my money first :)

Status Update:

Your application is complete. Interviews are by invitation from September to March.* If you are invited, you will receive a e-mail or phone call to schedule an interview.

I guess I'm on hold. Anyone know what chances we have when in this position?

Status Update:

Your application is complete. Interviews are by invitation from September to March.* If you are invited, you will receive a e-mail or phone call to schedule an interview.

This isn't being on hold, is it? Doesn't this just mean that you are complete and are being reviewed?

Status Update:

+1

wow, you're totally on top of the status updates. much thanks!

This isn't being on hold, is it? Doesn't this just mean that you are complete and are being reviewed?
it looks like it's slightly better than that:

from last years thread:
Mine says:

"Your application is complete. Interviews are by invitation from September to March. If you are invited, you will receive a e-mail or phone call to schedule an interview."

Which according to last year's thread:
"Alright everyone, I've got some good news! I emailed Wake Forest about what the status "means", and if it's a post-secondary hold or not. Here's the reply I got:

"What the status means is that you have been placed in an interview pool and may get an invitation for interview. There usually ends up being about 1,000 in the top interview pool with spaces for only 550 to be interviewed. So we send the invitations. That hasn't been done as of yet for the interviews which will begin mid September. Stay tuned, you could possibly hear something soon."

That's more re-assuring than a straight-up hold. So everyone sit tight and hope for good things.
"

I spoke to the lady at wake forest about this status as it is the same status that I have. Basically, if you have this status, you have been placed in an interview pool. According to prior posts on this thread from last year, you could be hearing about an interview any day, as they send them out as soon as there are dates available. However, this status also says nothing about the tier of the pool you are in, so unless you call to ask specifically, there's no way to know what your future holds unless you wait until they change your status page.

just got this as well btw. :xf:

EEEEP! Exciting! Thanks for the info, WhizMD

clearly, im just an information mooch.

I wish they noted what interview pool we were in. Otherwise, we'll be on hold like this forever.

Status Update:

+1 --- I hope I'm in a small interview pool :D.

Last edited:
Got the same status! Although I just got the email that I was complete a few days ago, it makes me wonder whether they actually our files comprehensively. Oh well, guess it just means it's possible that we'll be extended an invite. Keep the hope alive fellas! :)

Same status. Complete today. They either really like me, only had like 4 applications to review today, or I'm getting rejected haha.

Complete as well. Where did you guys get the 1-2 weeks thing? I didn't see that...

"All materials necessary to evaluate your application have been received and forwarded to the joint degree program for review. When the review is complete you will be sent notification of your application status"

Now the waiting starts...:D

Best of luck to all of you

I noticed we are ahead of last year's schedule. The status "Your application is complete. Interviews are by invitation from September to March.* If you are invited, you will receive a e-mail or phone call to schedule an interview." was first posted on Aug. 5 and the first interview invite was posted on Aug. 9. So maybe things will get going here quickly.

So, I called Wake, and they basically said that because we have the "Your application is complete. Wait till Sept to March to hear for interview invites", that doesn't mean that our application has been reviewed. This is just a blanket status for everyone until they personally get to your application. Within a week, they should get to all of our apps because we were the early ones.

So, I called Wake, and they basically said that because we have the "Your application is complete. Wait till Sept to March to hear for interview invites", that doesn't mean that our application has been reviewed. This is just a blanket status for everyone until they personally get to your application. Within a week, they should get to all of our apps because we were the early ones.

are you sure? Most of us had a "complete under review wait 1-2 weeks" status before getting this one... It'd be a bit odd to go from one under review status to another, If this is the case it means they're doing things a bit different this year, so we won't be able to rely on last years thread :laugh:

I mean well of us I think so far have gone from the 1-2 weeks status to the September status, but that is what she told me.

My status has changed to this "Your application is complete. You are invited to call and set up an interview with us at your convenience." @#$@ yea

My status has changed to this "Your application is complete. You are invited to call and set up an interview with us at your convenience." @#$@ yea
congrats!!

:luck: to all of us!

Congrats on the invite!

They're really prompt. Did you have our status before landing the interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.