2011-2012 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview invite! Received it this morning via email. First one!

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, forgot to respond to the second part. They didn't offer a selection to me. They gave me a date and time and told me to accept it or to call and reschedule it. It's on a Monday in September.

I mailed everything in on the 18th, complete on the 22nd, invite the 30th. Stats are mediocre, 30 IS 3.51/3.7 cgpa/sgpa non-trad

sorry, forgot to respond to the second part. They didn't offer a selection to me. They gave me a date and time and told me to accept it or to call and reschedule it. It's on a Monday in September.

thanks!

needed to know the day of the week due to my class schedule.

good luck on your interview!

I sent it in the mail under a week ago and I just received the complete email. Didn't take too long!

yea i sent it out just before hurricane irene and got the complete email around 4 yesterday. Surprising

anyone know how wayne feels about update emails? I just started a medically related job that I want to inform them about

Interesting. I just today received an e-mail requesting confirmation of my interview set for Sept. 8th, the snail-mailed invitation I received on the 22nd. Not sure why they didn't send an e-mail when they send the snail-mail version.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. I just today received an e-mail requesting confirmation of my interview set for Sept. 8th, the snail-mailed invitation I received on the 22nd. Not sure why they didn't send an e-mail when they send the snail-mail version.

Maybe they like licking envelopes?

I usually just email schools and ask, just a simple "Do you accept pre-interview updates to our files?". The worst they'll say is "no". I doubt very many people have substantive updates so early like you do, so I wouldn't be surprised if nobody here knows that kind of thing yet.

Interview invite via snail mail. They already picked the day and time for me and I have a conflict with that date...hopefully they are OK with asking for a different date. :xf:

Interview invite via snail mail. They already picked the day and time for me and I have a conflict with that date...hopefully they are OK with asking for a different date. :xf:

when did u get this invite? Im guessing it wasnt today.

Rejected via snail-mail :(

is that pre or post secondary.

I'm sorry u got rejected, i know its pretty rough, having gotten rejected from plenty of schools already. Chin up.

when did u get this invite? Im guessing it wasnt today.

I don't live at home, but I listed it as my address on my AMCAS. I'm home for the weekend and an interview and I found it in a pile of my mail. I'm guessing sometime later last week?

I don't live at home, but I listed it as my address on my AMCAS. I'm home for the weekend and an interview and I found it in a pile of my mail. I'm guessing sometime later last week?

would you mind sharing your stats and any important ec's?

totally understand if you dont want to

She has a pretty in-depth MDApps profile...

Yea, just saw it. OMG!, and shes a michigan resident. I honestly would be happy with them just considering me for waitlist at this point. I just hope not all matriculants need be as qualified.

Yea, just saw it. OMG!, and shes a michigan resident. I honestly would be happy with them just considering me for waitlist at this point. I just hope not all matriculants need be as qualified.

'choo mean 'at this point'? We're barely into September!

Exactly! Still super early. Plenty of time left in the game/cycle.

By 'at this point' I meant after looking at her mdapps profile. Scary impressive, and combined with the fact that she is instate makes me feel really insecure about my application. I was pleased just by the fact that I even got a WSU secondary, but after looking at stats like that, Im really beginning to question if I would even be considered for an interview since Im out of state and dont have as high of an MCAT.

By 'at this point' I meant after looking at her mdapps profile. Scary impressive, and combined with the fact that she is instate makes me feel really insecure about my application. I was pleased just by the fact that I even got a WSU secondary, but after looking at stats like that, Im really beginning to question if I would even be considered for an interview since Im out of state and dont have as high of an MCAT.

Don't sweat it. WSU is interviewing this person, with full knowledge that he/she has excellent stats and will likely get in elsewhere. But they need to buff their numbers up.

All schools like high stats applicants at first... so that they can maintain a high "accepted" GPA and MCAT range for the statistics. To feign selectivity that is....

Usually a schools MATRICULANT MCAT average is 1-2 points lower, GPA around .05-.1 lower.

Don't sweat it. WSU is interviewing this person, with full knowledge that he/she has excellent stats and will likely get in elsewhere. But they need to buff their numbers up.

All schools like high stats applicants at first... so that they can maintain a high "accepted" GPA and MCAT range for the statistics. To feign selectivity that is....

Usually a schools MATRICULANT MCAT average is 1-2 points lower, GPA around .05-.1 lower.

Thanks for the reassuring pep talk. I guess if WSU really gauges its apps 'holistically', then I should have a shot.

Any idea if I should try to demonstrate genuine interest in the school by writing letters and stuff, or would they be unresponsive? I only ask because I remember you saying that you work there, and so you probably have a better idea of what the admissions staff is like.

Thanks for the reassuring pep talk. I guess if WSU really gauges its apps 'holistically', then I should have a shot.

Any idea if I should try to demonstrate genuine interest in the school by writing letters and stuff, or would they be unresponsive? I only ask because I remember you saying that you work there, and so you probably have a better idea of what the admissions staff is like.

My department.... completely separate from admissions. Separate buildings, not even communicating.

But I have spoken to someone in the admissions office. They won't say no to letters and stuff. But it usually won't do you much good, unless you're waitlisted after interview. I think your MCAT and your GPA plus personal essays get you the interview. After that, the interview matters the most with some emphasis on MCAT/GPA.

They obviously want to accept people that would most likely attend there. :)

No matter what school you're talking about, there will always be someone with better numbers than you. It's true 100% of the time on the interview trail, and 1000% of the time on SDN. You have to make that fact irrelevant if you want to keep your sanity through this.

Plus Wayne screens pretty heavily for secondaries for we OOS folk.

No matter what school you're talking about, there will always be someone with better numbers than you. It's true 100% of the time on the interview trail, and 1000% of the time on SDN. You have to make that fact irrelevant if you want to keep your sanity through this.

Plus Wayne screens pretty heavily for secondaries for we OOS folk.

Very true.

My department.... completely separate from admissions. Separate buildings, not even communicating.

But I have spoken to someone in the admissions office. They won't say no to letters and stuff. But it usually won't do you much good, unless you're waitlisted after interview. I think your MCAT and your GPA plus personal essays get you the interview. After that, the interview matters the most with some emphasis on MCAT/GPA.

They obviously want to accept people that would most likely attend there. :)

Just hope I get an interview. :scared: OOS students get less than 50 out of the 290 total spots. Mighty disconcerting for students like me. Hopefully they value significant life experiences, especially if an immense weightloss experience (> 100 lbs) caused them to see patients in a different light.

Might just retake the MCAT early next year and see what kinda impact that would have.

Just hope I get an interview. :scared: OOS students get less than 50 out of the 290 total spots. Mighty disconcerting for students like me. Hopefully they value significant life experiences, especially if an immense weightloss experience (> 100 lbs) caused them to see patients in a different light.

Might just retake the MCAT early next year and see what kinda impact that would have.

It would not be considered for this app cycle.

Don't re-take a good score!!!

It would not be considered for this app cycle.

Don't re-take a good score!!!

Im not sure if you would necessarily consider 30 a "good" score. Its certainly not uber-competitive.

At WSU for OOS students Im sure post secondary applicants are expected to have much higher than a 30, right? Honestly I dont feel that my 30 is representative of my abilities. Plus, they replaced my sgpa with my grad gpa so Im not sure if it is necessarily 'replaced' or if they just see both scores and then use the grad gpa for consideration.

Anyway thanks for your insight.

application complete!

really enjoyed writing this secondary :)

For those who have chosen to write Question II B, what exactly does it mean by health care "delivery" system? Does it simply mean clinical medicine? Thanks.

Oh hellloooo. My ears were burning :p

I also have a lot of connections to Wayne State through various things. Going any more in depth would definitely entirely reveal my identity, not that it would be that hard to figure it out anyway. :rolleyes:

Anyway though, Wayne is actually pretty high on my list of schools I am interested in and I tried to make that pretty clear in my secondary. I like detroit :)scared: I know) and I like the school as a whole.

I would also add that Wayne is a hard school to predict/read into. They have an interesting take on a lot of different aspects of the application process. If you haven't gotten a rejection letter, :thumbup:. Don't give up hope, because there is almost no logic to when invites go out.

:luck::luck:

Thanks, and I will. From the feedback posted in years past it doesn't sound like that stressful of an interview.

I agree! Do me a favor... can you glance at your watch when you park your car or arrive at Mazurek. Then look at your watch again when you leave. I wanna guesstimate what the interview day is like in length.

Hey guys, to pay for the secondary application processing fee, is a personal check ok or does it have to be a bank check?

Rejected! Oh well, guess we weren't meant to be, Wayne...

Good luck to everyone else!

Status
Not open for further replies.