2011-2012 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. And it's stupid as well. But the rules might not apply to an osteopathic school. Theyre 2 separate programs under 2 different policies. Aacomas vs AAMC. I know some people that withdrew their application a week before orientation of their DO school and they were accepted months ago into both that DO and their number 1 choice MD. Same applies to aadsas (dental) vs AAMC. Idk why these certain types of people wait, but its only my opinion.

On wayne states waitlist letter, it said both allopathic and osteopathic.

Members don't see this ad.

Idk read a few comments on the last page. And I think somebody mentioned something about calling them as well. Idk who to believe but it does make since that they would have no idea about the osteopathic schools that they have been accepted into.
I know a lot of people whom I disagree with that apply to dental, allopathic, osteopathic and foreign schools because they don't want to waste a year. And they get into the ones that they get accepted into regardless what they know about that specific field.

That might be true but it could also be against the rules since I clearly remember reading in multiple places that once you matriculate (start MSU) you cannot just drop out and start another school. They might not know but I don't think its a good idea to start off medical school by doing something thats against the rules. Risking both acceptances and a bad record for the future is not worth it imo.

I know multiple people who started at the DO school who eventually dropped mid-way through the semester and started at Wayne. It's a pricey thing to do mainly because the summer tuition is $7000 but many people do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any waitlist movement this week anyone? In-state or OOS? I know patience is a virtue but all this waiting is becoming ridiculous

I actually went to the students admission office this past Tuesday and I was told there isn't much waitlist movement going on. There might be a few who get off till July 30th but otherwise no significant movement.

I actually went to the students admission office this past Tuesday and I was told there isn't much waitlist movement going on. There might be a few who get off till July 30th but otherwise no significant movement.

Thats very odd this cycle then. http://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions/applying/statistics.asp

Last year 515 ppl were offered admission for 290 spots. Either the bulk
Of movement has yet to occur or this is a standout year where everyone accepted at wayne has it as their top/only choice

I was accepted off the WL last Monday. Hopefully a few more acceptances go out this week too.

3.4, 3.2 science, but I'm a non-trad (been teaching HS for a few years) and also took 22 credits of post-bac sciences with a 4.0. 29Q, IS.

All this waiting and pretty much nothing happened for the waitlisters (except maybe a very few). I guess people applying this year or later should keep in mind that once your waitlisted, good chance you wont get in. Thanks to everyone for helping out and answering questions on the forum, it was very helpful. Good luck.

All this waiting and pretty much nothing happened for the waitlisters (except maybe a very few). I guess people applying this year or later should keep in mind that once your waitlisted, good chance you wont get in. Thanks to everyone for helping out and answering questions on the forum, it was very helpful. Good luck.

Definitely NOT true. Last year (and the year before) there were PLENTY of people taken off of the waitlist.

Definitely NOT true. Last year (and the year before) there were PLENTY of people taken off of the waitlist.

I understand the optimism but what you dont realize is that in the past few years the number of people they interview has drastically changed. In past years they interviewed less people and most people they interviewed got accepted or were wait listed and then accepted. I posted a document a few pages back showing how hundreds more were interviewed this year.

Anywho, goodluck to those still waiting.

I understand the optimism but what you dont realize is that in the past few years the number of people they interview has drastically changed. In past years they interviewed less people and most people they interviewed got accepted or were wait listed and then accepted. I posted a document a few pages back showing how hundreds more were interviewed this year.

Anywho, goodluck to those still waiting.

Doesn't change that much. And even so, what's not revealed in that PPT is how many of those students were admitted outright and how many were admitted off the waitlist. The fact remains even during the years when they changed how many they have interviewed there has still been significant waitlist movement.

Simply telling students if they are waitlisted in the future that they aren't likely to get off isn't accurate, given the history of waitlist movement at Wayne. The data for 2012 might give more insight into why it seems less people were taken off of the waitlist, but without data on which admitted students came from the waitlist and which did not, there's little evidence to support your theory.

Also, the numbers in the PPT only go for 2011. It doesn't reveal how many people were interviewed in 2012. When those numbers come out, then you can say how many more people were interviewed.

Doesn't change that much. And even so, what's not revealed in that PPT is how many of those students were admitted outright and how many were admitted off the waitlist. The fact remains even during the years when they changed how many they have interviewed there has still been significant waitlist movement.

Simply telling students if they are waitlisted in the future that they aren't likely to get off isn't accurate, given the history of waitlist movement at Wayne. The data for 2012 might give more insight into why it seems less people were taken off of the waitlist, but without data on which admitted students came from the waitlist and which did not, there's little evidence to support your theory.

Also, the numbers in the PPT only go for 2011. It doesn't reveal how many people were interviewed in 2012. When those numbers come out, then you can say how many more people were interviewed.

The ratio of interviewed to interviewed and accepted off of waitlist is definitely different this year. It used to feel like half of the waitlisted people I knew would get pulled off and that the movement was continuous and fluid all the way until the day classes start, I literally know multiple people who were accepted DURING orientation. But this year I know at least 20 people who are on the waitlist and only 1 who was pulled off. It is a small sample size, but it's definitely something causing significant discussion throughout the Michigan pre-med population.

The ratio of interviewed to interviewed and accepted off of waitlist is definitely different this year. It used to feel like half of the waitlisted people I knew would get pulled off and that the movement was continuous and fluid all the way until the day classes start, I literally know multiple people who were accepted DURING orientation. But this year I know at least 20 people who are on the waitlist and only 1 who was pulled off. It is a small sample size, but it's definitely something causing significant discussion throughout the Michigan pre-med population.

Different this year does NOT equal different next year or the year after that. I'm just saying don't give people advice when you don't even have hard data for this year yet (the actual numbers, not your own personal survey of your friends). Go back to previous years' threads; this year is the unusual one.

And while I too have noticed this "trend" this year, remember SDN is not a true representative sample of all applicants.

".At this time our class is filled and we do not anticipate making additional offers. You would be safe going ahead with any other opportunities you may have."

email received today...
anyone still on the wait list, now would be a good time to reapply.

".At this time our class is filled and we do not anticipate making additional offers. You would be safe going ahead with any other opportunities you may have."

email received today...
anyone still on the wait list, now would be a good time to reapply.
Hi everyone,

Was wondering if the above email was sent out to anybody else? I didn't get anything from Wayne today so just curious.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.