2011-2012 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question I (All applicants must answer this question)

Describe the person or experience that greatly influenced your developing into the person you are today. Be specific in your explanation of the individual's/experience's impact on you.

Question II (Choose one of the questions to answer)

A. You have completed medical school and residency training and are ready to begin your clinical practice. What challenges, problematic issues and "downsides" would you anticipate having to consider and resolve as you establish goals for your practice that are congruent with your personal values and self image?

B. It is certain that in the next ten years there will be radical changes in the health care delivery system as we know it today. How do you perceive yourself functioning in this evolving health care environment?

Question III (only reapplicants must answer this question)

What academic, employment, volunteer experiences have you been engaged in since your last application to medical school? How does your current application differ from your previous application?

Question IV (only applicants with an institutional action must answer this question)

Fully describe the circumstances that resulted in the disciplinary institutional action citation noted on your AMCAS application. What "lasting" lessons have you learned from the experience?

Question V (MD/MPH applicants must answer this question)

Please explain your specific interest in Public Health. Include any relevant experiences and/or education.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Applying here this year, hoping I get in, though due to weak EC's will probably have to reapply next year. Oh, and 1st :D

If anyone has any questions regarding the application cycle, I have done it multiple times and I will help out in any way I can (time permitting, of course).

As for questions about medical school at Wayne itself, wait several months and let me get back to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying as a Canadian citizen... fingers crossed my MCAT in late July can give me a shot!

Submitted my application last night. Frustrated with the student records office (Wayne undergrad) because in May when I called they said they were open until 6, came after work at 5:10 and they said they close at 5 in the summer (I had called to ask after the summer semester had started). Didn't get a chance to go back in and request my transcripts until June 1st, so AMCAS is still waiting for my transcripts to certify my application. They accepted my application fee immediately though.....

Good luck everyone.

Hey you guys. I was checking out the website for Wayne State Medical School and looking at their academic requirements. It says the average MCAT score for the 2010 entering class is 9.93. Is this correct:confused::confused:

Hey you guys. I was checking out the website for Wayne State Medical School and looking at their academic requirements. It says the average MCAT score for the 2010 entering class is 9.93. Is this correct:confused::confused:

9.93 average per section, not total. That makes the total MCAT score <30. (fixing typo)

So pumped they are getting rid of their grading system. It was becoming a money grab to obtain old tests to be competitive with your classmates. Hopefully this will add a refreshing outlook towards Wayne. Scary that only 3 OU students matriculated though on that cycle on Wayne's wesbite. Gotta love the interview/matriculation ratio though, especially for in-states :D

So pumped they are getting rid of their grading system. It was becoming a money grab to obtain old tests to be competitive with your classmates. Hopefully this will add a refreshing outlook towards Wayne. Scary that only 3 OU students matriculated though on that cycle on Wayne's wesbite. Gotta love the interview/matriculation ratio though, especially for in-states :D

Yeah, I especially like the matric:applicant ratio for those with Wayne as their undergrad. 29% MATRICULATED there.

I wouldn't worry about the OU stats, it doesn't say how many applied from Oakland so 3 matriculating there isn't necessarily a bad number.

Received notification today that my application has been verified, so it is available to Wayne State SOM. Here's to hoping they send out secondaries quickly, though I am betting on late July.

I was verified on the 9th, and still no secondary :(

Not that it really matters for me though, since I'm taking the July 16th mcat :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
How friendly is this school to oos applicants?

They will start sending out secondaries in July. Last year, they didn't come until the end of July. Be patient. With regards to out of state applicants, yes, it's harder because Wayne is a public university and they grant preference to Michigan residents. But, I think (considering I'm IS) that if you're OOS and you receive a secondary and an interview, you're generally in good shape.

Wayne State admissions runs slowly at the beginning. They pick up momentum later in the season.

The whole offering 1/7 of the class at a time holds true. So it doesn't really matter when you interview in the cycle.

Wayne State admissions runs slowly at the beginning. They pick up momentum later in the season.

The whole offering 1/7 of the class at a time holds true. So it doesn't really matter when you interview in the cycle.

Very true. Admissions is not rolling so it doesn't matter when you interview. Furthermore, applicants (if they get an interview) are given a rank/score. They review applicants every month and they admit students with certain ranks/scores and above at each one.

It doesn't matter when you interview.

Hi! just a quick question..I have been stressing over the LORs. Just to be sure, 2 letters from my science professors and one from my clinical research supervisor will suffice?

Hi! just a quick question..I have been stressing over the LORs. Just to be sure, 2 letters from my science professors and one from my clinical research supervisor will suffice?

Assuming your school has no premed committee, then yes, you're good to go for Wayne State:

http://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions/applying/letters.asp

"When we request a secondary, we ask for a statement from the Pre-Medical Advisory Committee at your college or university, or, if non-existent, three letters of recommendation with at least two from faculty. One must have been written within the past 12 months. If you are in a post baccalaureate or graduate program, you are strongly encouraged to submit at least one letter from your post baccalaureate or graduate program. If applying to the MD/PhD program, at least one letter must be from a researcher. Letters of recommendation can be sent at any time via AMCAS and we will keep them on file until we review your primary application."

someone on another thread said they screen based on numbers, anyone have an idea on what they are for OOS ppl?

someone on another thread said they screen based on numbers, anyone have an idea on what they are for OOS ppl?

Variable.

There is no guaranteed screen. They read your primary, and then decide to send you a secondary application. People with 30s and 3.5s have been rejected pre-secondary, while people with 27s and 3.3s have been screened in.

Does anyone know if they send out secondaries to in state applicants before MCAT scores are in? I don't take the test until August 5. But then if they don't have rolling admissions, I guess it wouldn't hurt me much if I turned in a secondary in early September.

Does anyone know if they send out secondaries to in state applicants before MCAT scores are in? I don't take the test until August 5. But then if they don't have rolling admissions, I guess it wouldn't hurt me much if I turned in a secondary in early September.

They will not send you a secondary until your file is complete. Including MCAT score.

A numbers screen first, then they ask for secondary and LOR.
The numbers screen like I mentioned earlier is variable. Undoubtedly the in state applicant pool is give certain lee way on some of the numbers.

Good news. I submitted 06/04/11 and received an email on thurs saying my app is currently being reviewed for secondary. However, it mentioned this process can take 1-6 weeks :confused::confused:. I'm OOS.

I also received an e-mail saying that my primary app has been received and there will be a 1-6 week period of review.

Also, the secondary notice comes by way of e-mail.

Well I just changed my application to Early Decision. I had no other schools that I was going to apply to this year anyway, so it only makes sense to find out sooner rather than later. If I don't get in I will apply to multiple schools next cycle, which is what I was planning to do anyway.

I didn't apply early decision in the first place because I wasn't sure if AMCAS would count a particular class as BCPM, and if they had not my science GPA would be just under the cutoff for Wayne's Early Decision program. Now that I am verified and my GPA is within range, I have nothing to lose by applying Early Decision. Interviews, should I receive one, will be in September and they will give me an answer October 1st, so I don't have to wait until May or even later to know if I am in or not (assuming their answer isn't to put me on the wait-list...)

Now the only question is whether I go back to the end of the line in having my application processed and a secondary requested.....No huge deal if I am bumped back, though it will be slightly annoying to have to wait longer for the secondaries.

Well I just changed my application to Early Decision. I had no other schools that I was going to apply to this year anyway, so it only makes sense to find out sooner rather than later. If I don't get in I will apply to multiple schools next cycle, which is what I was planning to do anyway.

I didn't apply early decision in the first place because I wasn't sure if AMCAS would count a particular class as BCPM, and if they had not my science GPA would be just under the cutoff for Wayne's Early Decision program. Now that I am verified and my GPA is within range, I have nothing to lose by applying Early Decision. Interviews, should I receive one, will be in September and they will give me an answer October 1st, so I don't have to wait until May or even later to know if I am in or not (assuming their answer isn't to put me on the wait-list...)

Now the only question is whether I go back to the end of the line in having my application processed and a secondary requested.....No huge deal if I am bumped back, though it will be slightly annoying to have to wait longer for the secondaries.

well good luck. post the secondary question :) if you get the chance before the rest of us.

They could also choose to toss you in the regular applicant pool, so you may end up having to play the waiting game!

They could also choose to toss you in the regular applicant pool, so you may end up having to play the waiting game!

That is true, but at least I won't be waiting for months and months to see if I even get an interview. If I get put on the waiting list/tossed into the general pool, I will just proceed like I was rejected in preparing to apply next cycle. It may or may not make a difference, but I think the early decision application if nothing else tells them, much more sincerely than simply saying it, that Wayne is my first choice.

I would like very much to get a secondary application now... that would be so awesome.

Anyone think the secondary is going to be the same as last year?

Anyone started pre-writing? I'd rather not... but uhhh.

I would like very much to get a secondary application now... that would be so awesome.

Anyone think the secondary is going to be the same as last year?

Anyone started pre-writing? I'd rather not... but uhhh.

Haha! I want to start prewriting for next year! :D

Last year, the secondary changed. :(

I don't think that you'll have any problem getting into Wayne.

Take a break from writing secondaries and check this out if your a tosh.o fan. It has to do with wayne state

http://toshcommunity.comedycentral....BFFFFF01CAF8F40017014F5E55?xrs=playershare_fb

I love this video... I love it so much.

Haha! I want to start prewriting for next year! :D

Last year, the secondary changed. :(

I don't think that you'll have any problem getting into Wayne.

I hope your words go from your mouth (figuratively) to the adcoms ears and decision centers of their brain.

I definitely NEED this secondary. I just want to write it. It's like getting a pre-interview invite. If you get a secondary, you have a real shot at the school. I don't know the exact number, but a significant portion of verified applicants do not receive secondaries.

I love this video... I love it so much.

I hope your words go from your mouth (figuratively) to the adcoms ears and decision centers of their brain.

I definitely NEED this secondary. I just want to write it. It's like getting a pre-interview invite. If you get a secondary, you have a real shot at the school. I don't know the exact number, but a significant portion of verified applicants do not receive secondaries.

It should be an interesting secondary where you can really highlight your past and good qualities. It also appears to be a longer one compared to others. :(

Secondaries are definitely a good sign. You should be getting one soon within the next month or so!

They download apps 6 times a year, so even when they do download it will take a while because they will have so many.

Just FYI, from personal experience and feedback from friends, it is likely that Wayne will delay the hell out of your application at several stages in the process without actually telling you what's going on.

Just sit tight and try to keep the neuroticism at a minimum. It doesn't help anybody. :D

Just FYI, from personal experience and feedback from friends, it is likely that Wayne will delay the hell out of your application at several stages in the process without actually telling you what's going on.

Just sit tight and try to keep the neuroticism at a minimum. It doesn't help anybody. :D

Agreed.

secondary received, why is OOS tuition so damn high?!? wtf wayne

Could someone please post the prompts? I know they changed the last 2 years. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.