2011-2012 Yale Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been over 3 - I was marked as received on the 22nd.

EDIT: I called - once it's in electronically, they have to do lots of manual stuff, so it could take a week or two more for it to appear as complete on the status page.

Yeah, I called them before and they pretty much told me the same thing. My final letter was received by AMCAS 2 days ago, and that was the only part of my application that's missing for Yale. I asked what the typical "lag time" is between AMCAS receipt and Yale's acknowledgment of the letter, and the rep said that the office does all these entries manually once they receive the files (and/or applications), so to expect to wait about a week. She said that the staff goes back and forth between entering new applications and entering newly received letters, so to just be patient and to call them again in two weeks if the letter still is not acknowledged.

Members don't see this ad.

complete and on review :eek:

verified 7/8, secondary submitted 6/29, letter received 7/13

For the MD/PhD secondary they specify maximum length as "1 page." How long is one page supposed to be? Do I go with the publisher definition of a page (250 words) or how many words can fit on one side of one page in times new roman font (600 words)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just read a post saying that adcoms take into account the date submitted and if you wait more than 2 weeks (it's been about 3 weeks now, maybe more) it hurts your app because it shows your hesitancy. Is this true? I'm a perfectionist so I started my essay last week but I'm still working on it...I took my time because the email said it was a non-rolling school and there is no advantage to interviewing earlier. So I got the impression I could take my time.

I've been wondering this too... Can anyone comment?

how long is everyone's why yale essay? 500 words is a lot

Yeah, there was so much to talk about after looking at the viewbook. I even liked that they had invested so much effort into compiling that. For a big name school like Yale, they really didn't need to...

complete and on review :eek:

verified 7/8, secondary submitted 6/29, letter received 7/13

Nice! Did they shoot you an email or was it on their website?

For me, it was on the site. I just kept checking every day.

I just checked mine, and although it took two weeks for them to upload my LORs, I was complete and on review on 7/15. Interview invites should be sometime in August since they start in September.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked, finally complete! Sent in my secondary and LORs about 3 weeks ago. I know Yale interviews a lot of people, but I'd be very excited for an II! :xf:

Just checked, finally complete! Sent in my secondary and LORs about 3 weeks ago. I know Yale interviews a lot of people, but I'd be very excited for an II! :xf:

Interview invites started going out the first week of August last year, so hopefully they'll hold to that schedule.

obviously yale has incredible students with amazing stats but can someone w/ not so amazing stats have a chance at all if ECs were interesting/have ties to CT? i'm a nontrad and my family still lives there and i would like to come back "home" but don't want to potentially through money away because my PS section was low on the MCAT (8)(this is my biggest concern this cycle). My BS was 12 and V was 11 (31 total). my cum is 3.65 and my sgpa is 3.8 at a top 20 school.

obviously yale has incredible students with amazing stats but can someone w/ not so amazing stats have a chance at all if ECs were interesting/have ties to CT? i'm a nontrad and my family still lives there and i would like to come back "home" but don't want to potentially through money away because my PS section was low on the MCAT (8)(this is my biggest concern this cycle). My BS was 12 and V was 11 (31 total). my cum is 3.65 and my sgpa is 3.8 at a top 20 school.

Of course it's possible, but my guess is it will be very difficult. Low cGPA and mediocre MCAT doesn't look good.

EDIT: To add a point of reference, according to MSAR, last year's 10th %ile was 33 MCAT and 3.62 cGPA. Average was 3.86 and 37.

Of course it's possible, but my guess is it will be very difficult. Low cGPA and mediocre MCAT doesn't look good.

EDIT: To add a point of reference, according to MSAR, last year's 10th %ile was 33 MCAT and 3.62 cGPA. Average was 3.86 and 37.

Also, according to the MSAR, the 10% percentile for PS is 11. 8 is going to be hard to swing. If you really want it, try it and write an amazing secondary, but it's an uphill battle.

oh yale. easiest 500 words of my life. and the hardest to pare it down a few hundred to get it down to 500

Interview invite! Complete 7/11. Good luck everyone! Things are moving! :)

Me three! Pretty shocked because I was not expecting it. Complete July 17.

Last edited:
Congrats! Was it via email??

Yes
Complete 7/12

Dear Nymphicus
Congratulations! Our Medical School Admissions Committee has completed its initial evaluation of your application, and you have been selected to come to the School for interviews. We look forward to meeting you and helping you learn more about the Yale University School of Medicine.
Here are your Username and Password for our interview management system. Please keep this information in a safe place, and use the Username and Password to log in as instructed below. (Note: This logon information has been generated by our interview management system. It is not the same as the logon information you created when you submitted your Yale application.)
Username:
Password:

To schedule your interview please visit:

We look forward to meeting you when you come to the School of Medicine for your interviews.
Sincerely,
Office of Admissions

Yes

Dear Nymphicus
Congratulations! Our Medical School Admissions Committee has completed its initial evaluation of your application, and you have been selected to come to the School for interviews. We look forward to meeting you and helping you learn more about the Yale University School of Medicine.
Here are your Username and Password for our interview management system. Please keep this information in a safe place, and use the Username and Password to log in as instructed below. (Note: This logon information has been generated by our interview management system. It is not the same as the logon information you created when you submitted your Yale application.)
Username: XXXX
Password: XXXXX

To schedule your interview please visit:

We look forward to meeting you when you come to the School of Medicine for your interviews.
Sincerely,
Office of Admissions

:thumbup: Got the same email.. I am shaking with excitement :D

Interview invite!!!! OMG... im speechless

Congratulations to all of you who got interviews :luck:

Congrats on the interviews! For those who have been invited, when you say complete, do you mean the date that Yale marked you as "Compete and in review" or the day you submitted your secondary?

Congrats on the interviews! For those who have been invited, when you say complete, do you mean the date that Yale marked you as "Compete and in review" or the day you submitted your secondary?

Complete and in review on 7/11, MCAT received 7/2 and LOR received 7/8. I do remember it took awhile for them to mark me "Complete" (as in, my status didn't update until after 7/11)

Good luck to everyone who is coming for an interview! I've had the good fortune to call Yale home for a few years, so I hope you all have a wonderful stay in New Haven and get a chance to see the rest of the campus as well! :luck:

Submitted Jul 12

"Application completed and in review on: 13-JUL-11"

So I was complete on 7/11 as well and have not received an interview invitation yet... Does yale notify you if they don't plan to interview you or do they kind of leave you hanging?

So I was complete on 7/11 as well and have not received an interview invitation yet... Does yale notify you if they don't plan to interview you or do they kind of leave you hanging?

Well if you truly are Hope Solo, admissions is probably playing rock-paper-scissors to see who gets to interview you, so I wouldn't be too concerned. Just be prepared for a marriage proposal.

Yale releases all its decisions at the same time, so I'm about 90% sure that they do leave you hanging instead of outright rejections... (check last year's thread to be sure!)

On a more encouraging note, from my understanding, Yale has many, many interview dates (like, 3 days a week for several months), and only a few people go on each day (2 groups per day, <10 people per group). So I have a feeling there will be many batches of invites, regardless of when you were "complete".

Can someone post the us news interview:acceptance ratio?

Well if you truly are Hope Solo, admissions is probably playing rock-paper-scissors to see who gets to interview you, so I wouldn't be too concerned. Just be prepared for a marriage proposal.

hahaha no im not... i just have a huge crush on her ;)

Anyone who got an II care to share some approximate stats? Thanks!!!

After seeing the 100 reasons, I just added Yale on my AMCAS and submitted the secondary. Sounds amazing. Couldn't resist taking a shot.

After seeing the 100 reasons, I just added Yale on my AMCAS and submitted the secondary. Sounds amazing. Couldn't resist taking a shot.

The 100 reasons to apply to Yale is really a great advertising tool. It was incredibly helpful in writing the secondary, just to get a feel for the school and its mission statement.

The 100 reasons to apply to Yale is really a great advertising tool. It was incredibly helpful in writing the secondary, just to get a feel for the school and its mission statement.

It's making it hard for me to write, because I don't know what NOT to include. Everything sounds so awesome.

It's making it hard for me to write, because I don't know what NOT to include. Everything sounds so awesome.

You shouldn't even apply. Your GPA is too low.

This whole manual LOR thing is the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.