2011-2012 Yale Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats rxn! Today was quite a day for you on the invite front.
Thanks Leo! Looks like you are killing it as well. :thumbup:

Hopefully I see you on the trail. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well I had my interview at Yale this morning and it was AWESOME!!

I couldn't believe how cool, friendly, and relaxed both of my interviewers were. You will meet some truly bright and unique minds at this school.

Yale FTW baby!

Well I had my interview at Yale this morning and it was AWESOME!!

I couldn't believe how cool, friendly, and relaxed both of my interviewers were. You will meet some truly bright and unique minds at this school.

Yale FTW baby!

Sounds great! I can't wait, Yale is so amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Woo, just submitted secondary. Let's see how this goes.

I'm just debating whether or not I actually do have anything to say here. I am a non-trad with a pretty drastic upward trend in GPA, and an extremely drastic 11-point increase in my MCAT score. I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult and have been thouroughly amazed at how much easier it is to think and get things done since beginning treatment.

I was wondering if someone who is familiar with the attitudes and feelings of Yale as a school would be willing to comment on whether discussing such a thing would be frowned upon. Surely most places will wonder about an extraneous cause for such drastic improvements.

Just checked my status online and realized that I was complete on Aug 31... but I never got an e-mail letting me know - is that normal? I have broken e-mail paranoia :)

Just checked my status online and realized that I was complete on Aug 31... but I never got an e-mail letting me know - is that normal? I have broken e-mail paranoia :)

Totally normz.

Quick question about secondary, on the status page it seems that my MCAT scores don't have a date received? I thought these were included with the AMCAS, what exactly is Yale waiting for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent me fee waiver email to yale on the 9th and my file is still incomplete. Should I call?

I sent me fee waiver email to yale on the 9th and my file is still incomplete. Should I call?

I wouldn't yet. I submitted back in August and was only marked complete this week. Its a manual process so you need to give it some time.

Don't. Things just take a while with them. I sent in my fee waiver in mid-August and they notified me that they received it a week later. I wasn't marked complete for another month after that.

But I never received an email acknowledging the receipt either. I guess they're just slow.

Interviewed at Yale today and took away a very positive impression of the school:

I am a big fan of the Yale system and it seems like it allows the students to pursue other interests and control their education. Many students take classes at the undergrad campus, pursue another degree, or spend a tuition free fifth year to do research or go abroad. The administration seems extremely supportive of all the students and treats them as colleagues.

A big point that was stressed, and that I agree with, is that Yale is not for everyone. Not everyone learns best with so much independence and nobody forcing you to learn the material. Also, New Haven is not a city for everyone.

The interviews themselves were very relaxed and fairly standard. Overall, a great day and a great school!!

Interview Invite today! :D

Emailed around 6:30 am. Many interview dates available in Oct and Nov on M/W/F.

Good luck, everyone!

Any MSTP applicants get a secondary yet? If so, are there any additional prompts?
MSTP here:

1. Have you completed our premedical requirements? If not, on what date do you expect to complete them?

2. Was your undergraduate college education discontinued in any way? (Summers, holiday breaks and post-graduation time should not be included) If yes, please give specific details.

3. Have you been subjected to disciplinary action by any college, been convicted of a criminal offense, or are there disciplinary or criminal charges pending against you? If yes, please give specific details.

4. Are there any considerations or conditions that could significantly or adversely affect your performance as a medical student? If yes, please explain why you believe these considerations or conditions would not prevent your successful completion of the medical school program and requirements.

.5. Please use this space to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in the Yale University School of Medicine. Please limit your response to 500 words..
.6. Write a one–page statement concerning: .

• .Your reasons for wishing to undertake graduate study .
  • .The graduate program you propose to follow at Yale .
  • .The strengths and weaknesses of your preparation for graduate study in your proposed field.

Is Yale receptive to pre-interview update letters?

Interview invite this afternoon! So excited!!!

Woo! MSTP II today! Oh my gosh!

Complete 9/28

Canadian, complete last week, II today.

Congratulations to all those with II! :)
Would any of you mind sharing when you submitted (i.e. how long it took you to be marked complete?)

EDIT: Nvm, sorry, just looked back in the thread and figured it out.:D

Last edited:
Hi guys

just wondered - I was complete on september 07 but haven't heard anything yet and i am seeing many people who submitted after me hear about an interview -does this mean that I am probably not getting an interview?

Hi guys

just wondered - I was complete on september 07 but haven't heard anything yet and i am seeing many people who submitted after me hear about an interview -does this mean that I am probably not getting an interview?

No, it doesn't.

Hi guys

I was complete August 5th and still hoping the dream lives on!

Hey people,

Does anyone know if Yale is receptive to in the area emails? I can't find anything in this thread or last year's about it. I know they can have pick of the litter but I'm flying to the East Coast from CA soon and it'd be nice to cut costs.

Hey people,

Does anyone know if Yale is receptive to in the area emails? I can't find anything in this thread or last year's about it. I know they can have pick of the litter but I'm flying to the East Coast from CA soon and it'd be nice to cut costs.

I sent an "in the country" email last week (I'm assuming you're talking about pre-II) and they responded very nicely basically saying the info has been noted and I'll be informed if an interview offer is made. I don't think it would hurt to email them though.

Anyone interviewing on the 24 am? Hang out after?

I submitted my secondary only a week before and got an interview right away.

I am so grateful!

Good luck to all!:oops:

Anyone interviewing on the 24 am? Hang out after?

I submitted my secondary only a week before and got an interview right away.

I am so grateful!

Good luck to all!:oops:

Congrats!
Just wondering if anyone else on here as had to wait over a month to be marked complete? I am still waiting, and I understand that schools will grant interview invites quickly to candidates they are interested in, and no interviews to those they do not wish to consider, but is it possible there is also preferential treatment for their top candidates in terms of being marked complete?

Congrats!
Just wondering if anyone else on here as had to wait over a month to be marked complete? I am still waiting, and I understand that schools will grant interview invites quickly to candidates they are interested in, and no interviews to those they do not wish to consider, but is it possible there is also preferential treatment for their top candidates in terms of being marked complete?
I don't believe there is preferential treatment for being marked complete. They do that in the order in which they get to the file. I submitted relatively early and it still took 3 weeks to be marked complete. I'm sure as things go on and the volume of apps increases there are going to be more delays.

I don't believe there is preferential treatment for being marked complete. They do that in the order in which they get to the file. I submitted relatively early and it still took 3 weeks to be marked complete. I'm sure as things go on and the volume of apps increases there are going to be more delays.

That's what I thought but if you look at the poster above my last post, you will see that they received an invite a week after submitting their secondary. Oh well...guess it is what it is:)

Congrats!

I did. Well, it was about a month.

Congrats!

Yah it was so strange to find out so quick same thing happened to me at dartmouth. But don't go thinking I'm too special there's many schools I'm still waiting on! Some are so slow just to make your file complete. I know at some of the other ivy league schools people wait 1-2 months before invites so that could just be the case!

It's been rather quiet here. Any new II?

Me too, but ain't lookin' too good since I was complete in July.

Status
Not open for further replies.