**2011 Acceptance Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anybody heard anything from UT Knoxville? With the exception of the one poster who was offered acceptance two days after the inteview, I haven't heard anything. I know they said on interview day that budget stuff was still up in the air and that it would probably be several weeks before they knew how many students they would be able to accept, and, therefore, several weeks before offers went out...but this week begins week four...

*crickets chirping*

(((I'm especially anxious as this has been my number one program all along, especially after interview day, AND it's the only one I haven't heard back from (I'm waitlisted at three other places, no acceptances)...talk about prolonging the suspense! Plus, I'm fairly sure that person who I'm waitlisted after at another school is also waiting to hear back from a different POI at UT before they accept/decline the offer...so I've got two potential spots hinging on this...ugh! )))

*more crickets chirping*
I emailed my POI and was told they offered a position to someone else who accepted the offer. I would suggest sending an email inquiring if any admission decisions have been made.

Members don't see this ad.

So far I've been accepted to PGSP PhD, CW Post PsyD and Pacific University PsyD. Still waiting to hear from PGSP-Stanford PsyD. I dread the decision-making part!! :eek:

If CW Post PsyD is not in your top 2, you should decline. I'm on the waitlist ;)

The advisor I accepted to work with seemed very on top of things as the interview process was occurring, yet I emailed him regarding a question , AFTER accepting with him and it has been more than 24 hours and he has not yet responded...should I be worried that he won't be a responsive/available mentor?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend who is 1st year at GWU and she LOVES it....best wishes to all who got in :)

The advisor I accepted to work with seemed very on top of things as the interview process was occurring, yet I emailed him regarding a question , AFTER accepting with him and it has been more than 24 hours and he has not yet responded...should I be worried that he won't be a responsive/available mentor?

...24 hrs...no, I definitely would not be worried at all. For one, even though your question IS of utmost importance to you, people have a lot of stuff going on; also, please, DO NOT take this personally at all!! I know it is hard at times, but I would think it is not about you...

The advisor I accepted to work with seemed very on top of things as the interview process was occurring, yet I emailed him regarding a question , AFTER accepting with him and it has been more than 24 hours and he has not yet responded...should I be worried that he won't be a responsive/available mentor?[/QjUOTE]

Personally I think it is standard practice to respond to inquiries within about a day when actually working on a project with someone. However, given that you aren't yet working together I would give your advisor a little more leeway before assuming that he will be "unavailable" when you are working together. Unless there was something particularly urgent that you needed an answer for right away, my guess is that he is prioritizing his work and communications with his current students who have more pending issues at the moment. This may be a good sign that he will prioritize your more urgent issues as a student when you are actually working with him in the program. However, if he takes several days to get back to without an explanation and an indication that this is not the norm, I might then begin to get concerned.

Just my two cents...

lol relax dude...it's been 24 hours.

The person I accepted with sometimes got back to my emails within hours of me sending them and when I accepted, she didn't respond right away. It made me a little paranoid, but your POI is probably busy (like mine was) or gathering all the information you might need. If they haven't responded in a few days, just shoot them an email asking for confirmation of receipt.

It could be that he's not sure of the answer yet for some reason. Not sure what your question was. I work full-time as a project coordinator in a very busy lab and if an email is something I can't answer right away, I just flag the email until I can get the information needed, unless the email is particularly time-sensitive. Which it probably is not in your case, since you won't be at this school until at least four or five months from now.

I would definitely not worry that he won't be responsive/available.

Has SLU made all offers? I think it should be this week. Those received offers can you please PM me? Thanks a lot!

Just got an acceptance to IUP, turning it down though, hope that helps someone else!

Another vote to relax. Hell, I've had advisors who didn't respond after a week, if at all, to some issues due to the sheer number of emails they receive from both graduate and undergraduate students, faculty members, committee members, and various other individuals. You catch up with them during lab meetings and whenever possible or you send a gentle reminder within a reasonable follow-up period if it's important.

Also, keep in mind that this is likely going to be a busy time of semester for some departments who may be trying to determine assistantship/externship placements for their current students for the upcoming year (my department is in this spot at the present time). This can be a time consuming process and tends to take priority once their extended offers for the incoming year's cohort have been accepted. I'm sure they'll respond as soon as they can reasonably do so, but there are other things that may take precedence, particularly when you won't even be around for several more months (and there are plenty of other students who are around working on theses, dissertations, etc.).

Congrats, and g'luck! :luck:

Another vote to relax. Hell, I've had advisors who didn't respond after a week, if at all, to some issues due to the sheer number of emails they receive

Also, keep in mind that this is likely going to be a busy time of semester for some departments

Yes, I totally agree with you. It is dangerous to interpret a delay in responding to your email as a personal thing!!!

Also, besides anything else, some are on Spring Break and do what they love the MOST: Reading and grading Midterms :D

Applicants are not the center of the universe...I remind myself of that & practice patience :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I poseted in the "waitlist blues" thread as well, but maybe you all have a clue on my woes.

I received an email entitled "near acceptance" ... what the heck does that mean? They asked if I would accept an unfunded offer.... and I would hear back before april 15... but they didnt specify that i was on the waitlist... just "near" accepted.

WHAT?! haha any words of wisdom or insight on this? anyone in the same boat?

if you got into IUP would you mind letting me know how you heard. Thanks!

I was just wondering if anyone else besides Nibu heard from St. John's? On gradcafe, someone was waitlisted by e-mail. I still haven't heard anything. :(

Anyone heard from La Salle besides for on Tuesday? or Yeshiva?

Thanks!

I was just wondering if anyone else besides Nibu heard from St. John's? On gradcafe, someone was waitlisted by e-mail. I still haven't heard anything. :(
I was also waitlisted via email today

Has anyone heard back from them? Good, bad, or indifferent???

Thanks!

I poseted in the "waitlist blues" thread as well, but maybe you all have a clue on my woes.

I received an email entitled "near acceptance" ... what the heck does that mean? They asked if I would accept an unfunded offer.... and I would hear back before april 15... but they didnt specify that i was on the waitlist... just "near" accepted.

WHAT?! haha any words of wisdom or insight on this? anyone in the same boat?

I don't have any direct experience with this, but I can give you my best guess. If this arrived in my box, I would assume they're emailing a small number of students to gauge their interest in an unfunded spot. They're probably worried about their acceptance stats. An unfunded spot is less appealing (and thus more likely to be turned down), so they benefit by lining up a willing candidate before making the offer.

I don't have any direct experience with this, but I can give you my best guess. If this arrived in my box, I would assume they're emailing a small number of students to gauge their interest in an unfunded spot. They're probably worried about their acceptance stats. An unfunded spot is less appealing (and thus more likely to be turned down), so they benefit by lining up a willing candidate before making the offer.

Thanks so much for the response, I'm sure you know i'm freaking out. This is my only "near acceptance" and I think it has a lot to do with them waiting to hear back from other offers they sent out.

so hopefully those who are holding multiple offers start deciding soon! maybe then i will be able to sleep at night! haha

Hello everyone!

Does anyone know what the deadline is for schools to make a decision about an applicant regardless what it is? I thought it was April 1st. i still haven't heard from one of my schools so I'm curious.

Thanks ahead for help! :)

Anyone heard from La Salle besides for on Tuesday? or Yeshiva?

Thanks!

I also heard from them on Tuesday by email, with a letter in the mail to follow on Thursday. I accepted their offer today :)

Hello everyone!

Does anyone know what the deadline is for schools to make a decision about an applicant regardless what it is? I thought it was April 1st. i still haven't heard from one of my schools so I'm curious.

Thanks ahead for help! :)

Deadline for extending offers is April 1 but sometimes things go until April 15th I've heard.

So I emailed a program last night letting them know I was turning down their offer, and they responded this morning by asking where I am going to be attending. It struck me as pretty inappropriate for them to ask (especially considering I had not previously mentioned other schools). I don't really think it's any of their business. Is this standard practice?

So I emailed a program last night letting them know I was turning down their offer, and they responded this morning by asking where I am going to be attending. It struck me as pretty inappropriate for them to ask (especially considering I had not previously mentioned other schools). I don't really think it's any of their business. Is this standard practice?

This happened to me too. One school I declined their offer and asked me why so they could use my feedback for the program. They also asked where I decided to go, but said it was ok if I didn't feel comfortable asking. Another school I emailed to get to remove myself from their waitlist, and they also asked as where I was going. I'm not sure if this is standard practice. But, I felt comfortable telling them, especially if I run into them later at a conference, they will know where I chose to attend anyways. My emails seemed to ask me in a friendly nature. I will admit that I was a little surprised that they asked.

Got accepted to IUP via email. Will be turning it down...sending the email now. Hope someone else enjoys the spot :)

So it's been pretty darn quiet on the Suffolk front... Is there anyone out there with an offer who's thinking of thinking of turning it down? Or accepting it? Just curious... :rolleyes:

Hello, I am new to the forum but have been reading it non stop trying to obtain further info on acceptances. I was just accepted to Hofstra's PsyD program in School - Community. Anyone else attending/ planning on attending? :)

Accepted to Pepperdine PsyD on March 25. Got a call from program director....:soexcited::clap:

I got accepted to St. John's just several minutes ago! Man, I thought I was rejected because they already contacted some wait-listed people. I still can't believe that I got accepted. Basically, I e-mailed the director on Friday asking for my status. I received an e-mail from him today telling me to call him. Then I was told that I was accepted! They actually made the decision this morning!

:D

Anyone hear from Wright Institute? Admissions said end of this week!

yeah bro, got a letter

i live in the area though, so maybe I got it earlier than a lot of people.

Best of luck though

I got accepted to St. John's just several minutes ago! Man, I thought I was rejected because they already contacted some wait-listed people. I still can't believe that I got accepted. Basically, I e-mailed the director on Friday asking for my status. I received an e-mail from him today telling me to call him. Then I was told that I was accepted! They actually made the decision this morning!

:D

Congrats!! That sounds like an amazing way to find out. I've been tempted to call the school I am waiting from, but don't want to be too pushy.

Hmmm..... keeping my fingers crossed this week. :xf:

Congrats!! That sounds like an amazing way to find out. I've been tempted to call the school I am waiting from, but don't want to be too pushy.

Hmmm..... keeping my fingers crossed this week. :xf:

Hmm, being pushy isn't bad as long as you have a legitimate reason. When I e-mailed on Friday, I told them that I heard that decisions were suppose to be out by the end of the week, and that it's the end of the week, and that I haven't heard anything blah blah. I also told them that I heard from another school, but this is my first choice, etc.

Has anyone been accepted at University of North Texas or Texas Woman's University (both Counseling PhD) and not accepted the offer yet?? I am on the waitlist at both schools and would really appreciate any information. Thanks!

Has anyone been accepted at University of North Texas or Texas Woman's University (both Counseling PhD) and not accepted the offer yet?? I am on the waitlist at both schools and would really appreciate any information. Thanks!

Same here for Loyola. Would appreciate info since I am on their wait-list for the one 2nd y slot and the person who got the offer does not seem to have accepted yet.

Any updates??

Thx

Same here for Loyola. Would appreciate info since I am on their wait-list for the one 2nd y slot and the person who got the offer does not seem to have accepted yet.

Any updates??

Thx

Loyola Counseling PhD or Clinical?

If Counseling, I'm in the Masters program there, and my prof. told me that they only gave acceptance offers to 4 people, and all 4 people just accepted. Sorry to break the bad news :(

Made the very hard decision of turning down two schools, Rutgers (GSAPP) and the University of Arkansas. Hope someone on here waitlisted gets a spot at those schools!

If Counseling, I'm in the Masters program there, and my prof. told me that they only gave acceptance offers to 4 people, and all 4 people just accepted. Sorry to break the bad news :(

Hi,

I meant Clinical Psych: Loyola U, MD, Psy.D.; I heard they extended one offer to a M.S. applicant and I am wait-listed for that spot :(

Is this Loyola Chicago? If so, are you planning on going there?

Is this Loyola Chicago? If so, are you planning on going there?

I go to the Masters in Counseling program at Loyola Chicago, but I didn't apply to the PhD program there b/c none of the profs have my research interest. It's a great program though! I would highly recommend it if you are considering it....

I go to the Masters in Counseling program at Loyola Chicago, but I didn't apply to the PhD program there b/c none of the profs have my research interest. It's a great program though! I would highly recommend it if you are considering it....

Oh, actually, I am one of the 4 who accepted! Haha. I am really excited to go. I LOVED the program when I was there.

Oh, actually, I am one of the 4 who accepted! Haha. I am really excited to go. I LOVED the program when I was there.

Congrats!!! That is super exciting... Feel free to PM me for any info. Obviously I'm not a doctoral student, but I know most of the doctoral students, all thefaculty and can speak to the program in general, chicago, etc. Who's your research mentor?

I was just accepted to my top school!!!!!! :wow: :banana: :biglove:

I accepted the offer over the phone, but was told to email them an official reply. Should I wait to get something in the mail before I decline the offer I got from another school?? Or is it ok to go ahead and do that now because it is "official"? I'd like to do it ASAP so someone else's dream can come true, but should I wait?