2011 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do people think was the average number of interviews in Phase II? Phase I seemed like a crapshoot, but this go round seemed even worse. My friend got an interview at Harvard/CHA, but then received only 1 other interview out of 23 sites. Obviously, he was a good candidate. I had only 3 interviews - less than phase I, despite that I applied to significantly more places. I guess I'm just wondering if people got many more than 2-4 interviews this round.

Also, just throwing it out there, did anyone ask Allendale or SUNY Buffalo how many applicants they were interviewing? I ran out of time in my interviews.

Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

What do people think was the average number of interviews in Phase II? Phase I seemed like a crapshoot, but this go round seemed even worse. My friend got an interview at Harvard/CHA, but then received only 1 other interview out of 23 sites. Obviously, he was a good candidate. I had only 3 interviews - less than phase I, despite that I applied to significantly more places. I guess I'm just wondering if people got many more than 2-4 interviews this round.

Also, just throwing it out there, did anyone ask Allendale or SUNY Buffalo how many applicants they were interviewing? I ran out of time in my interviews.

I have no clue about the average # of interviews this round, but it seems significantly lower. I've also heard of anywhere between 0 and 4 interview offers. Personally, I had 3.

I'll add on to your post and ask if anyone knows how many people Ohio Psych and Berea interviewed... I didn't ask during my interviews.

It does seem like the average number of interviews is lower in Phase II. I applied to 21 places (fairly even mix of APPIC and APA) and I received 6 interviews for 7 tracks (3 APA sites, 3 APPIC sites). The average does seem to be 2-4 though.

Has anyone heard from Rappahannock since we found out they started reviewing applications on Friday??

Members don't see this ad :)
I only had one interview in phase II. The odds are definitely not in my favor, however the site I interviewed with is a good match for my interests and training goals and my interview seemed to go really well so I really hope I match! I am trying not to get my hopes up because I know that the odds are not great, but they do have 3 openings so that might help.

Has anyone heard from Rappahannock since we found out they started reviewing applications on Friday??

I never heard, despite the fact that my mentor felt sure I would... I don't know if that says something about me or about them...

I only had one interview in phase II. The odds are definitely not in my favor, however the site I interviewed with is a good match for my interests and training goals and my interview seemed to go really well so I really hope I match! I am trying not to get my hopes up because I know that the odds are not great, but they do have 3 openings so that might help.

Good luck PsychS! :luck:

I'm definitely beginning to regret my choice to go into this field. So much for wanting to help people.:mad:
I am so sorry you feel this way. The system really is b/s. This may ring hollow right now, but I am sure eventually something will work out, and this will just be a bad memory and you will finally be doing what you set out to do when you applied to grad school.

I will not withdraw. I plan to submit rankings for all the sites I didn't hear a rejection from. I know that it is unlikely to yield a match. However, if you withdraw, APPIC conveniently leaves you out of the numbers when calculating the match percentages, allowing them to show a higher match rate than they would show if that percentage were calculated using the total number of people unmatched (from both people who withdrew and those who don't match). The match rate for phase I was abysmal if you take into account the number of people who withdrew. I want my participation to matter, so I will submit a ranking knowing that it will do nothing but accurately reflect that I did not match.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Thank you SO much for pointing this out. I never did understand why anyone withdrew. It doesnt cost to rank, so why not do it? I swear withdrawing is just as much work! lol

Have your mentor review you application + CV, and put a plan together to try and address your weak areas.
Just curious...do most people have "mentors?" And is this something you went went out and found on your own (like a TD you really clicked with) or something your school provided? Outside this forum I have never even heard it mentioned in the context of grad school. I certainly don't have one giving me a hand...

Is it possible that maybe sites opted to not interview for phase 2 because they'd rather just hand pick applicants in clearinghouse? (post vacancy match...whatever)
One of the sites I interviewed with says that is usually how they do it (hand pick from clearinghouse) but this year APPIC required that they participate in Phase II.

Its not up to internship sites to keep up with surplus demand. It works the other way. Professions (and their training programs) respond to the marketplace, not vice-versa.
Just to add my two cents: Other programs do not have this problem. For example, in the MD and PharmD fields, which require internships/residencies as well, if you are a good student you will get a spot. It may not be the spot you wanted, but it will be something. Do we really think these fields haven't been affected by the economy sucking ass? This problem is huge for psych b/c of how it is handled, not just because of programs losing spots. Also, there has been some talk of making the internship less important, etc. Despite now looking at the possibility of doing this a 3rd time I would never support such a measure. If we want to be respected by doctoral level professionals in other fields we need to hold ourselves to similar standards. Personally, I don't think lessening our graduation requirements is the solution to our problem.

And for those asking, I had 6 interviews. In Phase I I had 5 (4 sites). Fingers crossed! Good luck all!!!

Just curious...do most people have "mentors?" And is this something you went went out and found on your own (like a TD you really clicked with) or something your school provided? Outside this forum I have never even heard it mentioned in the context of grad school. I certainly don't have one giving me a hand...

Yes, we do! I am not going to program bash here, but how can you NOT have an advisor in grad school?

I dont really know how a psy.d works, but my research advisor (the persons whose lab I'm in) also serves as our overall mentor/advisor on everything else.... from developing our dissertations, to recommending practicum placement, to hooking us up with other researchers/collaborators, to proofreading our APPIC essays. Although, my main proofreader and guide for the internship process that was an old practicum supervisor from our school's in-house clinic. I know the Psy.D doesnt have a lab per se, but I sure you would have to have someone who advises you on your choices (dissertation, practicum, hours, etc.) during the course of grad school, no?

Last edited:
Yes, we do! I am not going to program bash here, but how can you NOT have an advisor in grad school?

I dont really know how a psy.d works, but my research advisor (the persons whose lab I'm in) also serves as our overall mentor/advisor on everything else.... from developing our dissertations, to recommending practicum placement, to hooking us up with other researchers/collaborators, to proofreading our APPIC essays. Although, my main proofreader and guide for the internship process that was an old practicum supervisor from our school's in-house clinic. I know the Psy.D doesnt have a lab per se, but I sure you would have to have someone who advises you on your choices (dissertation, practicum, hours, etc.) during the course of grad school, no?

Of course we have advisers, but nowhere have I ever heard of an adviser contacting sites directly for me unless they have a direct connection with that site, which is what I was assuming was the case with the student on here (sorry I can't remember at this time who it was) whose mentor contacted Rappahannock. Our advisers do all the things you mentioned above, I think IsItOver was asking about whether others have an extra person throughout grad school, other than the adviser who helps you with your dissertation, placements, and internship applications.

I am at a PsyD place and I have an adviser in the program. They help with dissertation, internship apps, etc. They aren't making calls to sites for me or anything like that, just being generally supportive/helpful to me during phase 2.

Of course we have advisers, but nowhere have I ever heard of an adviser contacting sites directly for me unless they have a direct connection with that site, which is what I was assuming was the case with the student on here (sorry I can't remember at this time who it was) whose mentor contacted Rappahannock. Our advisers do all the things you mentioned above, I think IsItOver was asking about whether others have an extra person throughout grad school, other than the adviser who helps you with your dissertation, placements, and internship applications.

Exactly. I have an adviser. Calling him a "mentor" would be a stretch. I suspect he does less/is less involved than other programs' advisers (likely a result of my belonging to a large program :cool:) and even other advirsers at my school (luck of the draw), but I thought the "mentor" people mentioned was someone additional.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think IsItOver was asking about whether others have an extra person throughout grad school, other than the adviser who helps you with your dissertation, placements, and internship applications.

Oh, Ok. No, we didn't have that formally, but we did have faculty who encouraged us to have our essays proofread and who offered their words of wisdom regarding sites choices, etc. Our assistant DCT also kept tabs on all of us and sent us frequent reminder emails regarding this or that deadline.

As I said, I became particularly close with my clinic advisor from my 2nd year and we occasionally had semi-formal meetings about the internship process. He also proofread my essays and gave me feedback. I think the proofreading element was very important, but in terms of feedback, its was pretty subjective from person to person. This person noted that one of my essays was actually pretty cheesy, but others I showed it to liked it alot. I even had an interviewer complement me on it during interviews.

Last edited:
Just to add to the current discussion: in our program, advisors would definitely count as mentors. We're accepted by then to their lab, spend our entire grad school career working with them in some capacity, occassionally have social gatherings and events with them, and receive constant support and advice (academic and career) from them. I'd definitely say this made the entire process much more enjoyable, and feel fortunate for having had the opportunity to work so closely with my own advisor.

I agree. :) I called my advisor and 5:45 am that morning.:laugh: She was cool with it, but noted the awkwardness of talking to me whist in shower. :D I told her I'd talk to her later then. :eek:

To answer the question about a mentor and about people helping with internship stuff...

My "mentor" is just someone who was a 5th year in the program my 1st year and we got to know each other. He's long graduated now, and I solicit his advice sometimes. He went to Rappahannock for internship, and he made a call for me. That being said, I did not get an interview from Rappahannock, so it didn't help. I do know that some people's advisors and DCTs will make a call for them if they have a personal connection to the site. But it's not random - it's all through connections.

That being said, in my Psy.D. program, we have advisors, who we meet with once per quarter to go over our progress/performance, we have a dissertation committee (chair and reader) that is solely for the dissertation, and then we have internship "coaches." They go over our site lists with us and give us feedback on our essays and one cover letter. Personally, I would not have called any of these people mentors.

Hope this answers your questions.

Also, in response to the ranking question, I am not really feeling relieved. Just feeling like I need to prepare for the worst.

Wanted to see how everyone is feeling now that rank lists are in...

I'm feeling nervous, but hopeful. I only got two interviews, but I think I'm a great fit at both, which I wasn't able to say about all the sites I interviewed at in Phase I. This has made me somewhat less freaked out than I was for Phase I (the shorter wait time doesn't hurt, either). The odds are definitely daunting, but I'm trying to stay positive this week...

Best of luck to everyone in Phase II!! :xf:

I applied to approximately 30 sites in phase II, applying to sites with a child/adolescent focus. I had 7 interviews for 8 tracts. 3 of the sites (4 tracts) were APA sites, 3 were APPIC, and 1 was neither APPIC or APA (though I was told by the site TD and another psych that their site has been around for a few years and is applying this round for APPIC status for next fall).

However, a number of the 30 sites I applied to involved areas in which I did not have much training or background in. If there was a maximum of some sort for phase II applications (e.g. apply to first 15 free, then applicant has to pay), I would have only applied to 15 sites.

6 of my 7 interviews were sites I considered among my top 15 "fit" in Phase II. However, in phase II (like in phase I) there were a few sites in particular that I thought were great fits, but in which I never even heard back from. I am guessing many of us experienced that, though :(

Good luck to us all for phase II :)

It does seem like the average number of interviews is lower in Phase II. I applied to 21 places (fairly even mix of APPIC and APA) and I received 6 interviews for 7 tracks (3 APA sites, 3 APPIC sites). The average does seem to be 2-4 though.

Wanted to see how everyone is feeling now that rank lists are in...

Ugh...I'm not feeling so great :( Rank lists are in and I'm happy with how I ranked the sites, but the approaching Match Day feels more like impending doom thanks to the numbers :scared: I had a good number of interviews at sites I like, but the same was true for Phase I too and we all know how that turned out.

He went to Rappahannock for internship, and he made a call for me. That being said, I did not get an interview from Rappahannock, so it didn't help.

Did anyone get an interview with Rappahannock? I applied there and didn't hear a peep, though I remember you saying that your mentor found out they started looking at applications on Friday. Did they interview people on Saturday or something?

Ugh...I'm not feeling so great :( Rank lists are in and I'm happy with how I ranked the sites, but the approaching Match Day feels more like impending doom thanks to the numbers :scared: I had a good number of interviews at sites I like, but the same was true for Phase I too and we all know how that turned out.

I feel exactly the same. Not a good feeling at all...

I'm sorry you feel the same way but I am relieved to know that I'm not alone! :oops: Best of luck everyone. Here's to hoping that Phase II is FAR better than Phase I! :luck::luck::luck:

You're not alone. I'm not feeling good about it either. The numbers are really terrible. I had more interviews that went better at places that were better fits in Phase I, so I just can't really imagine this turning out for the best.

I'm pulling for all of you! I know this has been stressful for y'all, and I hope for good news! :luck:

Me too. I feel horrible, even though I had plenty of interviews (I had plenty in Phase I too, so it's less reassuring). I have awful memories of opening the no-match email and I'm literally terrified of opening my email on the 28th.

Me too. I feel horrible, even though I had plenty of interviews (I had plenty in Phase I too, so it's less reassuring). I have awful memories of opening the no-match email and I'm literally terrified of opening my email on the 28th.

My sentiments exactly!!!

Ugh, five days... I am definitely on the "impending doom" boat. I also am not 100% behind my rank list, so I have this icky feeling either way, though I would def rather anything over another year off. Beggars can't be choosers, right? lol

Hang in there everyone!!

Just checking in with everyone to see how you all are hanging in there, and hoping that everyone's keeping the good vibes going... Sending extra for those who need them! :xf:

Just checking in with everyone to see how you all are hanging in there, and hoping that everyone's keeping the good vibes going... Sending extra for those who need them! :xf:

I don't know about everyone else, but I think I'm feeling the brunt of Phase II today :(

I'm just gonna throw this out there and hope that I'm not alone...is anyone else feeling left behind (relative to classmates who matched)? I'm the only one in my program who didn't match, so literally everyone has 'moved on'. They're figuring out where they are going to live, getting to know their fellow interns at their respective sites, etc. They're managing the "stress" of relocating and starting something new (I put stress in quotes though I understand that it is quite stressful for some. I just think that stress is a LOT easier than Phase II stress in my highly biased opinion).

Don't get me wrong, my peers are very supportive and have been very helpful in phase II. They just get to move on to internship related things and I'm.....stuck. They're in March and I just re-lived Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb (applying, waiting, interviewing, waiting). It really doesn't help that apparently the question of the week is "So what are you going to do if you don't match?" :mad: I understand the whole prepare for the worst and hope for the best idea, but does literally everyone really have to focus only on the worst part? As though talking about re-living my worst academic nightmare *again* will make it better? It's not remotely helping my already negative attitude about my chances of matching on Monday :( I think I need some of those extra positive vibes, paramour! I ran out of those almost exactly a month ago.

*steps off soapbox* I'm apparently in an angry, hurt, and bitter mood today. On the one hand, I hope I am alone in that boat because I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but on the other hand I hope I'm not alone just so.....I wouldn't be feeling this way alone. :thumbdown:

I don't know about everyone else, but I think I'm feeling the brunt of Phase II today :(

I feel the same. I'm actually just trying to plan on not matching so if I do, it will just feel awesome, and if I don't, I won't be heartbroken. But I'm not sure if that strategy is working or just making me sad... :(

I'm just gonna throw this out there and hope that I'm not alone...is anyone else feeling left behind (relative to classmates who matched)? I'm the only one in my program who didn't match, so literally everyone has 'moved on'. They're figuring out where they are going to live, getting to know their fellow interns at their respective sites, etc. They're managing the "stress" of relocating and starting something new (I put stress in quotes though I understand that it is quite stressful for some. I just think that stress is a LOT easier than Phase II stress in my highly biased opinion).

Don't get me wrong, my peers are very supportive and have been very helpful in phase II. They just get to move on to internship related things and I'm.....stuck. They're in March and I just re-lived Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb (applying, waiting, interviewing, waiting). It really doesn't help that apparently the question of the week is "So what are you going to do if you don't match?" :mad: I understand the whole prepare for the worst and hope for the best idea, but does literally everyone really have to focus only on the worst part? As though talking about re-living my worst academic nightmare *again* will make it better? It's not remotely helping my already negative attitude about my chances of matching on Monday :( I think I need some of those extra positive vibes, paramour! I ran out of those almost exactly a month ago.

*steps off soapbox* I'm apparently in an angry, hurt, and bitter mood today. On the one hand, I hope I am alone in that boat because I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but on the other hand I hope I'm not alone just so.....I wouldn't be feeling this way alone. :thumbdown:
You just pretty much summed up everything I have been feeling since Feb. 25. I am the only one in my program too and it sucks. I feel like the weird one and the failure even though I know that a lot of my not matching is due to a broken system. I have been a little depressed and am concerned that not matching on Monday is going to make it worse.

Having these weird mixed emotions of excitement & dread for Monday. I am doing my best to do the same thing about not planning to match, although it is not always working. Best of luck to everyone again :) !

I feel the same. I'm actually just trying to plan on not matching so if I do, it will just feel awesome, and if I don't, I won't be heartbroken. But I'm not sure if that strategy is working or just making me sad... :(

This is my second year dealing with not getting into internship. Therefore, this year I have a new strategy. If I don't get in on Monday I have plans with some friends to get **** faced. If I do get in on Monday I have plans with some friends to get **** faced. I'm looking forward to Monday!

...is anyone else feeling left behind (relative to classmates who matched)? I'm the only one in my program who didn't match, so literally everyone has 'moved on'. They're figuring out where they are going to live, getting to know their fellow interns at their respective sites, etc. They're managing the "stress" of relocating and starting something new (I put stress in quotes though I understand that it is quite stressful for some. I just think that stress is a LOT easier than Phase II stress in my highly biased opinion).

I'm glad you wrote this. I think the matching/not matching thing is SUCH a touchy subject between people on both sides and I'm so appreciative of you putting out there what you're going through. I'm one of those who matched, but one person in my cohort didn't and it just breaks my heart. You're right - people who matched are moving on, and I admit that every time I sit down to plan the move I think of my friend and just want to help her. It's a terrible situation (to say the least) and none of you deserve it. And agreed - as stressful as the moving stuff can be, I'm not about to complain because I'm certain Phase II is infinitely harder on you.

You've every right to feel the way you do. All I can ask is whether there's anything at all people in my position can do for you. I want to help my friend, at the very least distract her with non-internship related things, but I worry my very presence will just remind her more of what she's going through. It sucks.

All that said - I'm thinking of you guys and hoping beyond hope you get some wonderful news when the results are out. It's not over just yet.

All I can ask is whether there's anything at all people in my position can do for you. I want to help my friend, at the very least distract her with non-internship related things, but I worry my very presence will just remind her more of what she's going through. It sucks.

THANK YOU for asking!!! I can't speak for everyone, but personally I would LOVE to be distracted by my peers. (It's spring break here so that's not really happening) I would love to go out to dinner with my peers who matched and make it through a whole meal without any mention of anything internship-related (Phase I or Phase II). Really anything that friends typically do and just taking out any talk of internship. I think the hardest thing to do is to treat a non-matched person normally (albeit with some extra support perhaps). It's a tricky spot to be in on both ends. I think a lot of my peers feel the same way you do - they want to help but are worried that they'll just make it worse. Then I end up either being ignored or treated with kid gloves, as though I might break if they joke around like normal.

I think my personal do/don't list is something like this: Don't ask me how I feel about Monday (I don't feel good about it), don't ask me what I'm going to do if I don't match (see original post), please please please don't complain about not getting your top choice or the other stressors associated with matching. And I know it's weird, but please don't say "I'm sure you'll match". Everyone said that to me during Phase I too. Didn't work. If at all possible, just don't talk about internship. Do hang out with me, do talk with me (preferably without the sad 'how are you doing :(' face), just include me. I already feel left behind because I didn't match (not the fault of anyone who did match), please don't literally leave me behind. Oh and please do be free on Monday if possible - regardless of what the outcome is, I'm going to want my friends around! :oops: If it's good news, I've waited long enough for my celebration and would like to celebrate with my peers just like everyone else did a month ago today. If it's bad news, I *know* I'm going to need the support of my friends, just like I did a month ago today.

With that being said, that's just what *I* would want a peer to do/not do. Others may want to talk about internship or talk about their plans if they don't match on Monday. I just don't. To me, it would be helpful if the rest of my life (anything non-internship related) was normal right now. The stressors of Phase II combined with being around peers who have no idea what to do around me just hurts. And it's understandable - I wouldn't know what to do if I had matched and one of my peers didn't. It's understandably awkward and uncomfortable for everyone.

Really, thank you JDS for asking :) It helps, and I wish more would ask.

THANK YOU for asking!!! I can't speak for everyone, but personally I would LOVE to be distracted by my peers. (It's spring break here so that's not really happening) I would love to go out to dinner with my peers who matched and make it through a whole meal without any mention of anything internship-related (Phase I or Phase II). Really anything that friends typically do and just taking out any talk of internship. I think the hardest thing to do is to treat a non-matched person normally (albeit with some extra support perhaps). It's a tricky spot to be in on both ends. I think a lot of my peers feel the same way you do - they want to help but are worried that they'll just make it worse. Then I end up either being ignored or treated with kid gloves, as though I might break if they joke around like normal.

I think my personal do/don't list is something like this: Don't ask me how I feel about Monday (I don't feel good about it), don't ask me what I'm going to do if I don't match (see original post), please please please don't complain about not getting your top choice or the other stressors associated with matching. And I know it's weird, but please don't say "I'm sure you'll match". Everyone said that to me during Phase I too. Didn't work. If at all possible, just don't talk about internship. Do hang out with me, do talk with me (preferably without the sad 'how are you doing :(' face), just include me. I already feel left behind because I didn't match (not the fault of anyone who did match), please don't literally leave me behind. Oh and please do be free on Monday if possible - regardless of what the outcome is, I'm going to want my friends around! :oops: If it's good news, I've waited long enough for my celebration and would like to celebrate with my peers just like everyone else did a month ago today. If it's bad news, I *know* I'm going to need the support of my friends, just like I did a month ago today.

With that being said, that's just what *I* would want a peer to do/not do. Others may want to talk about internship or talk about their plans if they don't match on Monday. I just don't. To me, it would be helpful if the rest of my life (anything non-internship related) was normal right now. The stressors of Phase II combined with being around peers who have no idea what to do around me just hurts. And it's understandable - I wouldn't know what to do if I had matched and one of my peers didn't. It's understandably awkward and uncomfortable for everyone.

Really, thank you JDS for asking :) It helps, and I wish more would ask.

Blindchaos- Thank you for sharing your experience and your feelings. I'd like to echo others' comments and let you know that I am also feeling pretty anxious/uncomfortable as Monday approaches us. As much as I want to believe that there is a chance I do match, I am haunted by the experience of not matching last month. I completely agree and appreciate your explanation of re-living the past 6 months over the course of March (while attempting to recover from the devastation of not matching).

Added to the stress and anxiety I am experiencing right now is what otherwise would have been a very exciting phone call my fiance received. He was just offered a post-doc at an amazing site in our hometown. The problem is, during round II, there were no sites that fit for me and thus, I didn't apply or interview at any sites in that city. Although the site has been generous enough to allow us a few days to figure things out, my fiance must either accept or decline the offer Monday morning. SO... if I do match, great, wonderful, exciting! If not, we need to figure out if it is time for me to call it quits with this process for now & accept his offer in our hometown (who knows what clearinghouse may or may not have in store and one of us needs to move forward with our careers).

Talk about added pressure!!!

This whole experience has been so difficult that part of me is looking forward to Monday so I can move forward (one way or another) and part of me is terrified of having to deal with the reality of not matching if it happens again this phase. Right now I am feeling pretty numb and have NO CLUE how I will react if I do not match again. Despite trying to imagine what it would be like, as we have experienced, there is nothing that can prepare for receiving that awful email.

Here's to hoping for the best for all of us come Monday :)

I have been lurking for a while and decided to throw in my two cents.

I did not match last year, and I went through many of the distressing thoughts and emotions many of you are experiencing. I thought it was the end of the road for me as far as becoming a clinical psychologist. Many of my friends moved on to their internships, and I felt sorry for myself for weeks as I continued to plug away with cover letters to clearinghouse vacancies. Facing adversity is when true character and integrity often manifest for me, and I suspect many of you who have not matched are neck-deep in this challenge right now. You have got to tell yourself that no matter what happens, you will follow what you believe is your destiny.

I utilized a spiritual approach to coping with not getting matched last year, and it was efficacious. The following bits I explain probably may not be something that soothes you now, but you may look back on it fondly. Basically, you are exactly where you need to be right now. For whatever reason, you are likely highly qualified and left unmatched and may or may not match on Monday. Sure, you will feel dejected and quite possibly disillusioned with your chosen path of becoming a psychologist. Let me say it again, though: You are exactly where you need to be. Perhaps an extra year would help you to finish your dissertation while your cohort members are struggling to complete theirs during an internship that is extremely busy already. Perhaps you will fine-tune your clinical skills and make some money on the side for a year. You may find that you were not meant to go to any of the internship sites you applied to this year...perhaps there is something better waiting for you next year. This was the case with me.

I had what I thought was an excellent interview with a non-APA site during the clearinghouse process last year. At this time, I was feeling desperate for any internship that would take me. Fortunately, I did not receive an internship offer for that site. I eventually decided to no longer entertain clearinghouse vacancies and start working in a private practice while finishing my dissertation. This time around, I landed an APA-accredited site that matches with my clinical goals 100 percent. My life would be completely different had I matched with that non-APA site--I would have missed this stellar internship opportunity that I did not apply to during last year's initial match process.

It is not about taking a year off and being "behind" your cohort; we will all be in the same boat as psychologists. Your colleagues are not going to point at you and say, "Too bad you're a year behind me, so you have nothing to offer me in terms of consultation." It is about understanding where you are in life, making a plan to improve yourself, gaining more clinical experience, research experience, and life experience (or some combination), and seizing the moment. You may feel trapped right now, and I believe this is completely normal to feel. However, time and again life has illustrated to me that many things happen because they need to happen in order for you to learn something or experience something in life.

Always remember that when one door closes, another door opens.

Last edited:
I'm apparently in an angry, hurt, and bitter mood today. On the one hand, I hope I am alone in that boat because I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but on the other hand I hope I'm not alone just so.....I wouldn't be feeling this way alone. :thumbdown:

You're definitely not alone in these feelings, I've been going through much the same all through phase II. Unfortunately, I didn't even get interviews in phase II. I say this for purposes of providing a sense of schadenfreude for others, and not because I am looking for sympathy. I've already come to terms with not matching on Monday and have moved on to hoping that something good will come about in post-match. I did submit a rank order list so that I would at least be counted as unmatched, but I doubt anything will come of it.

I did not match during last year, and I went through many of the distressing thoughts and emotions many of you are experiencing. I thought it was the end of the road for me as far as becoming a clinical psychologist. Many of my friends moved on to their internships, and I felt sorry for myself for weeks as I continued to plug away with cover letters to clearinghouse vacancies. Facing adversity is when true character and integrity often manifest for me, and I suspect many of you who have not matched are neck-deep in this challenge right now. You have got to tell yourself that no matter what happens, you will follow what you believe is your destiny.

I utilized a spiritual approach to coping with not getting matched last year, and it was efficacious. The following bits I explain probably may not be something that soothes you now, but you may look back on it fondly. Basically, you are exactly where you need to be right now. For whatever reason, you are likely highly qualified and left unmatched and may or may not match on Monday. Sure, you will feel dejected and quite possibly disillusioned with your chosen path of becoming a psychologist. Let me say it again, though: You are exactly where you need to be. Perhaps an extra year would help you to finish your dissertation while your cohort members are struggling to complete theirs during an internship that is extremely busy already. Perhaps you will fine-tune your clinical skills and make some money on the side for a year. You may find that you were not meant to go to any of the internship sites you applied to this year...perhaps there is something better waiting for you next year. This was the case with me.

I had what I thought was an excellent interview with a non-APA site during the clearinghouse process last year. At this time, I was feeling desperate for any internship that would take me. Fortunately, I did not receive an internship offer for that site. I eventually decided to no longer entertain clearinghouse vacancies and start working in a private practice while finishing my dissertation. This time around, I landed an APA-accredited site that matches with my clinical goals 100 percent. My life would be completely different had I matched with that non-APA site--I would have missed this stellar internship opportunity that I did not apply to during last year's initial match process.

It is not about taking a year off and being "behind" your cohort; we will all be in the same boat as psychologists. Your colleagues are not going to point at you and say, "Too bad you're a year behind me, so you have nothing to offer me in terms of consultation." It is about understanding where you are in life, making a plan to improve yourself, gaining more clinical experience, research experience, and life experience (or some combination), and seizing the moment. You may feel trapped right now, and I believe this is completely normal to feel. However, time and again life has illustrated to me that many things happen because they need to happen in order for you to learn something or experience something in life.

I'm happy to hear that things worked out for you. I think your experience also helps those who were denied admission to graduate programs...Everything happens for a reason.

Thank you for this. It helps to hear this from someone who has been through this and knows how it feels. I am tired of hearing other people who have not experienced this (my husband, parents, friends who did match) saying this kind of stuff but it is comforting coming from you and seeing that next year I can match and move on if I don't match on Monday. Thanks for sharing.

I did not match last year, and I went through many of the distressing thoughts and emotions many of you are experiencing. I thought it was the end of the road for me as far as becoming a clinical psychologist. Many of my friends moved on to their internships, and I felt sorry for myself for weeks as I continued to plug away with cover letters to clearinghouse vacancies. Facing adversity is when true character and integrity often manifest for me, and I suspect many of you who have not matched are neck-deep in this challenge right now. You have got to tell yourself that no matter what happens, you will follow what you believe is your destiny.

Thank you for sharing :) I do believe things happen for a reason and really like the way you said it, that we are exactly where we need to be right now. I definitely found comfort in your words.

On this sunday before match II, I just wanted to send out best wishes for all the SDNers waiting to hear. I'll be crossing my fingers/toes/etc. for all of you! I can honestly say that some of the absolute best and brightest in my class are in the match II boat, so there is positively no rhyme or reason to any of this. I will be sending tons of positive thoughts your way, and hoping to hear good news all around :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

On this sunday before match II, I just wanted to send out best wishes for all the SDNers waiting to hear. I'll be crossing my fingers/toes/etc. for all of you! I can honestly say that some of the absolute best and brightest in my class are in the match II boat, so there is positively no rhyme or reason to any of this. I will be sending tons of positive thoughts your way, and hoping to hear good news all around :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

I'll be doing the same; very best wishes to everyone.

I am almost looking forward to tomorrow as it will finally bring a sense of closure and relief. This process has been horrible, it is so emotionally trying and personally I can't wait to just know, one way or the other. I feel like I've been stuck and with tomorrow comes a renewed sense of control.

I am just so over this. Hope you are all hanging in there!

Last edited:
Are people planning to participate in the post-match vacancy (clearinghouse) if unmatched tomorrow?

I kind of feel like I just want it to be over and done with.

On this sunday before match II, I just wanted to send out best wishes for all the SDNers waiting to hear. I'll be crossing my fingers/toes/etc. for all of you! I can honestly say that some of the absolute best and brightest in my class are in the match II boat, so there is positively no rhyme or reason to any of this. I will be sending tons of positive thoughts your way, and hoping to hear good news all around :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

I'll be doing the same; very best wishes to everyone.

Thank you both! And thank you to all my fellow (temporarily) unmatched SDNers. It has been so nice to talk with all of you and to know that I'm not alone even though I'm the only one in my program who did not match. Best of luck tomorrow everyone! :luck::luck::luck:

Are people planning to participate in the post-match vacancy (clearinghouse) if unmatched tomorrow?

*IF* I don't match tomorrow, I plan on looking at what is left. I may or may not try for something in clearinghouse, just depending on what is left (I don't think there will be very many spots...if any...left that fit what I want). If there is something (anything) left that fits, I'll try for it.

*IF* I don't match tomorrow, I plan on looking at what is left. I may or may not try for something in clearinghouse, just depending on what is left (I don't think there will be very many spots...if any...left that fit what I want). If there is something (anything) left that fits, I'll try for it.

I believe that new spots are posted throughout the late spring and early summer as they become available (e.g., if funding is gained, an accepted intern has to withdraw for medical reasons, etc.). So while I definitely wouldn't recommend putting any planning on hold to wait and see what pops up, there's still a chance a gem could come along during clearinghouse.

I've decided not to. My fiance was offered an amazing post-doc position in our home town and we've decided if I don't match it is better for him to take the position (which would mean me not participating in clearinghouse unless there were any sites in that city). Although it was initially difficult to come up with that decision, we both felt that we had NO clue what sites (if any) would be available through clearinghouse. We don't have the luxury of time (because the post-doc site, although kind enough to allow him a week to decide, needs an answer tomorrow) but I think it's definitely the right decision for us.

To be honest, I am kind of relieved. Tomorrow will either mean me matching and us moving to the city where (if) I match and my fiance looking for a different post-doc position OR it means us moving back to our home town and him taking an amazing post-doc. So either way, come tomorrow morning I will FINALLY know what/where we will be next year.