2011 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been wondering the same thing about UCSF -- I was hoping that they would let us know either way, considering the amount of effort required for that supplemental app!

They emailed me back to say they had received the supplemental form and would be contacting applicants early the next week but didn't contact me to reject me. Somebody else on the forum posted that they had received an email about being moved on to the next round in the review process or something but I didn't hear any more than that and wasn't 100% sure if that was above and beyond the email they sent about having the supplemental materials. But, yeah, it would be nice to at least get a rejection email after spending so much time on the supplemental form. :annoyed:

I am having a similar dilemma to others in that I am trying to decide whether to rank my bottom choice at all or if I would rather try my luck again next year. However, I don't want to end up at a program where I would (a) be miserable and/or (b) feel like my future career/postdoc options were damaged by the caliber of the site. If I wait and reapply, I might have a shot again at sites that I am excited about.

I don't think that your post-internship plans would be hugely damaged by going to a less preferred internship. If you go to one where you can get a postdoc that can make a positive difference, but I really don't think that beyond that, anybody cares about where you do your internship (well, APA accreditation probably matters). But if you're going to be miserable, that's obviously another story and a personal decision. Good luck with it, anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote to Tulane last night...they just sent a rejection this morning...well, at least I know...

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who are still waiting to hear from sites (that no one has heard from on SDN)... are you still holding out hope or have you moved on? I still have a handful of sites that I am going to assume are no's but know that a lot of other SDN'ers haven't heard from them either.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

It was personalized, but I'm not sure if the rest was a form letter. Probably so, it was a bit vague. It was definitely emailed as a response to me, though-my original email header was on there.

For those of you who are still waiting to hear from sites (that no one has heard from on SDN)... are you still holding out hope or have you moved on? I still have a handful of sites that I am going to assume are no's but know that a lot of other SDN'ers haven't heard from them either.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Well, I am still hoping to hear from Miami-Dade and Synchrony of Visalia but I have pretty much convinced myself to not consider them anymore. Did anyone else laugh about that email from the match service, that your rank list has not been submitted as of 11am this morning? I haven't even had my one interview yet! It is later today! And what about that site that you or someone else said is offering interviews on Monday? I thought it was funny that the matching system assumed we should have our rank lists compiled yet, I think there are still sites out there interviewing or maybe still contacting people!!!! :laugh: (That was my first time using any of the icons haha)

They emailed me back to say they had received the supplemental form and would be contacting applicants early the next week but didn't contact me to reject me. Somebody else on the forum posted that they had received an email about being moved on to the next round in the review process or something but I didn't hear any more than that and wasn't 100% sure if that was above and beyond the email they sent about having the supplemental materials. But, yeah, it would be nice to at least get a rejection email after spending so much time on the supplemental form. :annoyed:

I don't think that your post-internship plans would be hugely damaged by going to a less preferred internship. If you go to one where you can get a postdoc that can make a positive difference, but I really don't think that beyond that, anybody cares about where you do your internship (well, APA accreditation probably matters). But if you're going to be miserable, that's obviously another story and a personal decision. Good luck with it, anyway.

For those of you waiting for a rejection from UCSF, I wouldn't count on it. I applied there in round 1 (that supplemental is brutal) and never heard a word from them one way or another. I assumed that I didn't make the cut and moved on. I may have just missed the letter or email, but they were the only site that I never heard from in round 1.

Good luck, everyone!

Hi there-

I am not sure if anyone is waiting on Pennsylvania Counseling Services, but I wanted to let you know that I contacted the TD to find out the status of my application and it sounds like they already conducted their interviews. Thought I'd share... another one to cross off the list. I still think it's better to get closure than to continue to wonder.

The numbers really aren't in our favor :(

Even with a few interviews (that I think went really well) I feel like it is a long shot due purely to the imbalance. Ugh. :thumbdown:

I feel the same way. I only had 4 interviews (although that IS two more than I had phase I). I feel good about 2 of them, but don't want to get my hopes up. The # of applicants and # of available positions is INCREDIBLY DISCOURAGING. I'm just hoping to get something (ANYTHING!), because I have a feeling next year is only going to be WORSE. There will be more applicants (PLUS people who don't match this year), and probably less sites because of the condition of our economy... it is so not a good situation :confused:

So, I just sent out emails to all the TDs/co-TDs at the sites where I interviewed. If anybody is considering doing this themselves and is curious about what kind of feedback I get, I'm happy to either post it or send anybody interested a private message about it. Here's hoping I get some helpful feedback, but also some positive feedback. Not matching isn't great for one's self-esteem, so I could do with a little external help in that department right about now. (I'm sure many other unmatched applicants can relate.)

...I thought it was funny that the matching system assumed we should have our rank lists compiled yet, I think there are still sites out there interviewing or maybe still contacting people!!!! :laugh: (That was my first time using any of the icons haha)

Yes! It definitely gave me a laugh. If it wasn't so darn depressing, I probably would have found it hilarious! :D

Anyone else feeling increasingly anxious today? I think maybe the reality that those sites who have yet to make contact are likely not going to do so has begun to set in.

Eeek

That IS pretty funny. For any Parks & Rec watchers out there, one of the training directors I interviewed with sounded exactly like Ron Swanson. I could barely contain my giggles throughout the conversation. All I could think about was mustache.

Anyone else have funny stories? We have to do something to keep our spirits up...

Yes! It definitely gave me a laugh. If it wasn't so darn depressing, I probably would have found it hilarious! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha.........encountered a few characters on my interviews, but no Ron Swansons that I was aware of :)

It seems that, for the most part, this whole Phase II round of interviews/anxiety/etc. is coming to an end. I just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread by sharing ideas, encouragement, interview updates, and, of course, by providing some needed humor throughout this challenging ordeal :) Also, naturally, I just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck with the upcoming match!!!!!

That IS pretty funny. For any Parks & Rec watchers out there, one of the training directors I interviewed with sounded exactly like Ron Swanson. I could barely contain my giggles throughout the conversation. All I could think about was mustache.

Anyone else have funny stories? We have to do something to keep our spirits up...

A mentor made a call for me, and I found out that Rappahannock was just starting to go through applications today. Soooo, I think there is still hope for that site, if not others as well.

A mentor made a call for me, and I found out that Rappahannock was just starting to go through applications today. Soooo, I think there is still hope for that site, if not others as well.

Wow! It's hard to imagine a site just starting to go through applications a couple of days before applicants need to rank sites! I wonder when they're planning on interviewing? Very interesting...

Wow! It's hard to imagine a site just starting to go through applications a couple of days before applicants need to rank sites! I wonder when they're planning on interviewing? Very interesting...

Wow. Maybe they'll just email and let people know whether or not they're under consideration and rank without interviews (based on just the application). I can't imagine any other way they could proceed at this point.

For whoever asked about supplemental materials, I didn't submit any (as the directions for phase II said not to).

Hi all,

A friend suggested I look at this site when I still wasn't hearing from sites in phase II. As yet, I have no interviews, and feel that I'm unlikely to get one. Hopefully something will come through in post-vacancy match. I really can't afford another year in grad school, just to hope that I might match. With over 600 students more than unfilled positions, I fear that next year will be even worse. What's more it's already too late in the game to try to get a practicum in my area, and would have to take a year of academic leave to redo this process.

I'm definitely beginning to regret my choice to go into this field. So much for wanting to help people.:mad:

Hi all,

A friend suggested I look at this site when I still wasn't hearing from sites in phase II. As yet, I have no interviews, and feel that I'm unlikely to get one. Hopefully something will come through in post-vacancy match. I really can't afford another year in grad school, just to hope that I might match. With over 600 students more than unfilled positions, I fear that next year will be even worse. What's more it's already too late in the game to try to get a practicum in my area, and would have to take a year of academic leave to redo this process.

I'm definitely beginning to regret my choice to go into this field. So much for wanting to help people.:mad:

It definitely is a frustrating process, I think all of us on here can understand what you're feeling right now. Here's to hoping for some good news as the process comes to an end :xf:

Are you still waiting to hear from any sites you applied to?

Are you still waiting to hear from any sites you applied to?

Most of them, but I'm not holding my breath. This whole process is broken. The idea that your internship has such an impact on the course of one's whole career is just wrong, especially with such an imbalance.

Most of them, but I'm not holding my breath. This whole process is broken. The idea that your internship has such an impact on the course of one's whole career is just wrong, especially with such an imbalance.

I agree, its really unfair and the imbalance is terrible. If you're still waiting to hear about any of your sites, a bunch of people have been posting sites they heard from, rejections and interview offers. Sometimes that helps to ease the anxiety.

Hi all,

I feel the same. I could have saved quite a bit of money by staying as an MA and specializing in the field instead of taking the extra step necessary for the psyd. Oh well, must make the best of what is and for now that means withdrawing from phase 2 per the urgent email I received yesterday. Maybe the post-vacancy will be looking for someone just like me to fill their hard to fill spot! One can hope.:D

Oh well, must make the best of what is and for now that means withdrawing from phase 2 per the urgent email I received yesterday.

I will not withdraw. I plan to submit rankings for all the sites I didn't hear a rejection from. I know that it is unlikely to yield a match. However, if you withdraw, APPIC conveniently leaves you out of the numbers when calculating the match percentages, allowing them to show a higher match rate than they would show if that percentage were calculated using the total number of people unmatched (from both people who withdrew and those who don't match). The match rate for phase I was abysmal if you take into account the number of people who withdrew. I want my participation to matter, so I will submit a ranking knowing that it will do nothing but accurately reflect that I did not match.

I will not withdraw. I plan to submit rankings for all the sites I didn't hear a rejection from. I know that it is unlikely to yield a match. However, if you withdraw, APPIC conveniently leaves you out of the numbers when calculating the match percentages, allowing them to show a higher match rate than they would show if that percentage were calculated using the total number of people unmatched (from both people who withdrew and those who don't match). The match rate for phase I was abysmal if you take into account the number of people who withdrew. I want my participation to matter, so I will submit a ranking knowing that it will do nothing but accurately reflect that I did not match.

I couldn't agree more. I hope people do not give in to pressure from APPIC and withdraw from the match. If you have gone through the process, make sure you are accounted for. I'm on internship now and I know how rough last year was. This year is proving to be worse so something has to be done. The first step is shining a big huge light on the problem. APPIC's rates have got to reflect an accurate picture of the current mess.

Good luck to all who are participating in Phase II. :xf:

Was your mentor calling all of the sites you hadn't heard from? If so, any news about Miami-Dade?

Was your mentor calling all of the sites you hadn't heard from? If so, any news about Miami-Dade?

No, just Rappahannock because he interned there. Sorry. No word on Miami-Dade or any of the other 5 that are unaccounted for.

Also, I still haven't heard from RACSB so it's making me question whether or not the call made a difference.

I feel the same way. I only had 4 interviews (although that IS two more than I had phase I). I feel good about 2 of them, but don't want to get my hopes up. The # of applicants and # of available positions is INCREDIBLY DISCOURAGING. I'm just hoping to get something (ANYTHING!), because I have a feeling next year is only going to be WORSE. There will be more applicants (PLUS people who don't match this year), and probably less sites because of the condition of our economy... it is so not a good situation :confused:

Try and get some feedback from TDs (Phase I) to see if there were particular areas of weakness in your app. Have your mentor review you application + CV, and put a plan together to try and address your weak areas. Applying a second time isn't fun, but you have something to build on.

:laugh:

I would have asked about:

swanson-pyramid-of-greatness-parks-and-recreation1.jpg

No, just Rappahannock because he interned there. Sorry. No word on Miami-Dade or any of the other 5 that are unaccounted for.

Also, I still haven't heard from RACSB so it's making me question whether or not the call made a difference.

Are you planning on putting any of the sites you haven't heard from on your rank list?

Are you planning on putting any of the sites you haven't heard from on your rank list?

I'm considering it but haven't totally decided yet. I guess it couldn't hurt.

I'm going to wait on ranking at least until tomorrow, just in case.

Just an FYI....You can always, very easily, change your rank-order list (up until the deadline, at 11:59PM EST on Monday). Good luck on the ranking & match!

I'm considering it but haven't totally decided yet. I guess it couldn't hurt.

I'm going to wait on ranking at least until tomorrow, just in case.

I reinstated and will rank one or two sites rather than have the numbers not reflect accurately. Thank you for pointing that out. :D

Is it possible that maybe sites opted to not interview for phase 2 because they'd rather just hand pick applicants in clearinghouse? (post vacancy match...whatever)

Rank list submitted... wonder how many times I will contemplate changing it around between now and tomorrow evening??

Also, having false hopes I get phone calls or emails from sites that have been MIA tomorrow saying "hey! we aren't interviewing but are ranking you because ______ and _______" ... haha, a girl can dream, right?!

Is it possible that maybe sites opted to not interview for phase 2 because they'd rather just hand pick applicants in clearinghouse? (post vacancy match...whatever)

I doubt that any sites would do this. Seems like more of a hassle than it is worth. It's possible that sites wouldn't interview anybody for Phase II if they already had hand picked a candidate though. It's not kosher but I don't see how it's technically against the rules on the site's part.

Sites that did not fill positions were required to take part in Match II unless given permission by APPIC Board to withdraw for reasons like funding for positions in jeopardy, etc. However, sites could limit their number of interviews or accept applications and not rank anyone I suppose. I think the APPIC Board is watching the process very closely this year, however, and might directly question a site that did not rank and then went into Post-Match to do selection. APPIC as an organization did not create the imbalance problem (APA and schools have) and I think they are working very hard to make a bad situation better, at least in terms of some fairness in how the process works.

APPIC as an organization did not create the imbalance problem (APA and schools have) and I think they are working very hard to make a bad situation better, at least in terms of some fairness in how the process works.

I would be careful about pointing fingers. This is an overly simplistic view of the problem. There are numerous factors that have led up to this imbalance, and simply putting it all on APA and schools is to ignore some of these. The current economic climate has contributed to sites closing or reducing their internship programs. Further in these tough economic times some quality training sites don't have the funding to become APPIC members, resulting in fewer new sites being added. Indeed some schools have enrollment levels that are too high, but that doesn't mean that these students have received lesser educations, and wouldn't make excellent clinicians. APPIC isn't entirely blameless as they could have stepped up in Phase II and required that certain consortia open their remaining slots to people not currently enrolled in their affiliated schools (there are at least 9 positions that fall into this category), with a preference for students from the affiliated school.

As a final thought, I find it more problematic that the system is set up in such a way that internship matters so much that people would rather take an internship anywhere (regardless of fit to future goals) than not get an APA/APPIC. I know people who sent out over 50 applications in phase II with the mindset of "I must get an APA/APPIC spot." It didn't matter if they wound up at a site that would provide little or none of the professional growth that they were seeking in phase I. Internship should be about finding training that will fit with future goals.

The current economic climate has contributed to sites closing or reducing their internship programs.

Doesn't the mean that there would be LESS sites and spots available now than 5 or 10 years ago? That is obviously not the case when you look at the numbers.

Its not up to internship sites to keep up with surplus demand. It works the other way. Professions (and their training programs) respond to the marketplace, not vice-versa.

Last edited:
I know people who sent out over 50 applications in phase II with the mindset of "I must get an APA/APPIC spot."

Over 50 applications?!?! I'd be curious to know how many interview offers they received because it seems highly unlikely most of the over 50 applications would be to sites that were a good or even decent fit. I would hope that sites would recognize this.

Over 50 is a bit excessive (in my opinion) and seems like it probably wouldn't help the imbalance by just flooding sites. I am all for sending out applications to places even if they could be a reach, but over 50 just doesn't seem right (or fair) because it floods sites with applications. Again, only my opinion :)

Over 50 applications?!?! I'd be curious to know how many interview offers they received because it seems highly unlikely most of the over 50 applications would be to sites that were a good or even decent fit. I would hope that sites would recognize this.

Over 50 is a bit excessive (in my opinion) and seems like it probably wouldn't help the imbalance by just flooding sites. I am all for sending out applications to places even if they could be a reach, but over 50 just doesn't seem right (or fair) because it floods sites with applications. Again, only my opinion :)

I agree entirely. I only sent out 16 applications in phase II, because that was the number of sites with open spots that fit with my long term goal. What I was trying to point out was that the mindset that leads to sending out that many applications is problematic, however the person to whom I am referring got interviews, whereas I did not.

Doesn't the mean that there would be LESS sites and spots available now than 5 or 10 years ago? That is obviously not the case when you look at the numbers.

Its not up to internship sites to keep up with surplus demand. It works the other way. Professions (and their training programs) respond to the marketplace, not vice-versa.

Agreed, my point is more that economic hardships have slowed the growth of new training sites, inhibited some, and reduced others. One of the site I interviewed at had to withdraw one of their positions for funding reasons. If that had not been the case, I might have matched. I simply point to the economy as one of several factors.

Yes, maybe you would have, but its pretty darn clear that there are more positions this year than last. That is fact. Its just didn't increase enough to cover the increase in applicants. Thats the issue. Increase in applicants. Again, its quite clear that there are MORE internships now as opposed to 10 years ago. Thus, I dont see how one could argue that is anything other than a demand problem. Again, professions respond to the need and availably of a marketplace, not vice-versa

I agree entirely. I only sent out 16 applications in phase II, because that was the number of sites with open spots that fit with my long term goal. What I was trying to point out was that the mindset that leads to sending out that many applications is problematic, however the person to whom I am referring got interviews, whereas I did not.

Did they get a lot of interviews or just a couple? Im curious to know if the number of interviews they were offered corresponded with the (absurd) number of applications they submitted.

Yes, maybe you would have, but its pretty darn clear that there are more positions this year than last. That is fact. Its just didn't increase enough to cover the increase in applicants. Thats the issue. Increase in applicants. Again, its quite clear that there are MORE internships now as opposed to 10 years ago. Thus, I dont see how one could argue that is anything other than a demand problem. Again, professions respond to the need and availably of a marketplace, not vice-versa

But part of that increase is also applicants who didn't match last year and some who didn't match the year prior. The mismatch is partially feeding itself, some portion of the nearly 700 unmatched this year will go on to vie for spots next year, with a possibly small increase in the number of positions. Again, I agree that schools need to think about these things when deciding how many students to enroll, but this will not, in and of itself, fix the problem. This is a very complex problem with multiple factors, and any long term solution would, by necessity, be complex.

With regards to the number of sites, there may be more sites than ten years ago, but how has the number of positions per site faired?

Did they get a lot of interviews or just a couple? Im curious to know if the number of interviews they were offered corresponded with the (absurd) number of applications they submitted.

I believe it was somewhere around four interviews, and it sounds like they all went well. Her number of applications was more a reaction to not getting any interviews in phase I, than anything else.

I believe it was somewhere around four interviews, and it sounds like they all went well. Her number of applications was more a reaction to not getting any interviews in phase I, than anything else.

Understandable. I think many of us were driven by anxiety when choosing sites to apply to.

But part of that increase is also applicants who didn't match last year and some who didn't match the year prior. The mismatch is partially feeding itself, some portion of the nearly 700 unmatched this year will go on to vie for spots next year, with a possibly small increase in the number of positions. Again, I agree that schools need to think about these things when deciding how many students to enroll, but this will not, in and of itself, fix the problem. This is a very complex problem with multiple factors, and any long term solution would, by necessity, be complex.

With regards to the number of sites, there may be more sites than ten years ago, but how has the number of positions per site faired?

I don't want to turn this into too much of a debate, as I know you guys don't need any added stress at the moment. I feel for all you guys in phase II, but increasing the number of positions doesn't fix the underlying problem. Its not the economy, for the most part. Although the economy may take out sites and position here and there, the real issue is that psychology is not particularly profitable for hospitals. It hasnt been for about 20 years now. I would hope you would have that insight already. Thus, there is little incentive for hospitals and clinics to fund internship spots (or to fund psychology services over the bare minimum at all for that matter). Yes, nonmatched applicants spill over to increase the pool every year, but I would probably argue that the match imbalance is, actually, relatively simple. More demand than there are positions. Period. The reason? In 1990, we produced half the number of psychologists each year that we do now. Numbers cant/shouldn't increase unless there is market demand for it. There was no market demand for this 2 fold increase in doctoral level psychologists. And now, we (you) are suffering because of it.

The worst part of this is that it could have easily been me as well. The imbalance is now so pronounced that not matching is no longer necessarily an indication that there is something lacking in your CV or personality (as it probably did 10-15 years ago)

Last edited:
There was no market demand for this 2 fold increase in doctoral level psychologists. And now, we (you) are suffering because of it.

While I agree that programs are probably admitting too many doctoral students given the relative lack of internship sites, I think the lack of sites is more complex than that.

Hospitals are getting less funding, but that doesn't eliminate the fact that the services they provide are still necessary for many people. Although psychology isn't profitable for hospitals, next to free labour is most certainly profitable. But cuts to psychology positions mean that there are fewer people to train/supervise/etc. and the little money that is available pays for practitioners to see patients, not necessarily to train students.

Also, I think there is a difference between market demand at the internship level and market demand in the real world. Unfortunately, we can't get to the real world without completing an internship.

Something will have to be done regarding the imbalance. At this point, having people who have invested years into a degree and not awarding it due to lack of internship is not something programs are going to be able to sustain much longer. We are really seeing a bubble burst, much like the housing market. The programs that contributed to the flood are relatively new and have largely grown in the last decade, thus we are now experiencing the imbalance. Even if it turns into lawsuits that shut these programs down, it WILL happen. Not sure if that is any consolation to anyone stuck in this mess right now.

Anyway, best wishes to everyone. I will be hoping for good news for all of you in a week. :luck: