2011 Radiology Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RisingSun

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up, all? Any one else applying this year? (CliffHuxtable, I know you're out there)

Trying to get all my ducks in a row for Sept. 1 application.

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: Sorry to single ya out. This board is pretty slow for rads traffic, but I know there are lots of lurkers. And reading AM is making me neurotic about this process. Wanted to get a little SDN action going.

How is everyone's app coming? I've got everything ready to go for Sept 1, after many iterations of my PS and programs I am applying to. It's really hard to judge one competitiveness and how many/which programs to apply to and which not. And seems that a good chunk of interviews are to regional candidates, so I keep second guessing my list of safety/backup programs. Most are in regions in which I have no connection and thus less likely to give an IV, so they really aren't a backup if I can't get an interview there. Regardless, my list is complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Almost done with my apps. Just need to finalize my programs and start on the prelim/TY list. Good luck to you guys and see ya on the interview trails!

Anybody able to explain the difference between a categorical radiology residency and an advanced radiology residency? Please?

Anybody able to explain the difference between a categorical radiology residency and an advanced radiology residency? Please?

What the heck is 'advanced radiology'? Thats what I want to know.

What the heck is 'advanced radiology'? Thats what I want to know.

Advanced: four years of radiology residency only; you need to apply to and match for a year of clinical training to be completed prior to entering residency. Ex: right now I am applying for "advanced" rads programs that start in 2012 and consist of 4 years of rads only, and because there is no clinical year wrapped in, I need to apply for and match to a clinical year such as prelim med, prelim surg, or a transitional year program to start in 2011. Thus you essentially match to two different programs which may or may not be in the same city (or state for that matter).

Categorical: you match a single time to a 4 year rads program that is linked to either a transitional year or preliminary medicine year at the same institution. Ex: University of South Florida is a "categorical program" meaning that if you match there you spend your first "clinical" year there and then stay on for four years of residency. You do not have to complete an intern clinical year elsewhere prior to starting rads residency.

Make sense?

Sun, thanks a lot!

So to make sure: basically a categorical means they provide your intern year?

A lot of places I'm applying offer both categorical and advanced residencies. I guess I'll apply to both...?

Sun, thanks a lot!

So to make sure: basically a categorical means they provide your intern year?

A lot of places I'm applying offer both categorical and advanced residencies. I guess I'll apply to both...?

Do you have to pay 2x for the same institution if applying to both?

Do you have to pay 2x for the same institution if applying to both?

Payment is based on specialty only. If you apply to Hospital A for preliminary year, transitional year and radiology, you will pay 3x.

That being said, the payment scale allows you to apply to up to 10 hospitals for each specialty for a baseline fee(I think like $60-70). It's a steep climb thereafter.

So if you plan on doing Advanced Radiology, Preliminary and Transitional, you may as well get your $60 worth and apply to several prelim/transitional spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
Payment is based on specialty only. If you apply to Hospital A for preliminary year, transitional year and radiology, you will pay 3x.

That being said, the payment scale allows you to apply to up to 10 hospitals for each specialty for a baseline fee(I think like $60-70). It's a steep climb thereafter.

So if you plan on doing Advanced Radiology, Preliminary and Transitional, you may as well get your $60 worth and apply to several prelim/transitional spots.

What if you apply to Advanced radiology and combined TY+Radiology programs at same hospital?

Present. A little behind on ERAS nonsense, taking step 2 next Tuesday, then I have a week off before my first away rotation, so I plan on catching up during that time.

How many places is everyone applying to?

40. Probably overkill but I don't wanna take chances. Keep adding and then taking away the same two or three programs, can't really decide whether I want to apply there or not, so my list is kinda still in flux.

Applying to 17 prelim med/TY programs. Hopefully that is enough.

We can apply to TY and prelim Med at the same program, right?
Thanks.

Yes but AFAIK they are different applications (i.e. you have to pay for both).

I have 74 rads and 60 prelims listed. Overkill you think? Man I need to pare it down a bit :eek:

I have 74 rads and 60 prelims listed. Overkill you think? Man I need to pare it down a bit :eek:

Good god, man, that is the most prelims I have ever heard of. I think way overkill. Remember that you will have a main list and a supplemental list where you can independently rank your prelim years for each main list rank. For example, say you went on two rads and two prelim interviews, and you want to go to prelim Y if you match at rads A and to prelim Z if you match at rads B. Here is how you might rank them:

1. Rads program A
1. Prelim Y
2. Prelim Z
2. Rads program B
1. Prelim Z
2. Prelim Y

If you match to rads program A, then the computer automatically then starts looking at your supplemental list. For this supplemental match, prelim Y is your first choice. If you don't match to prelim Y or Z then you will have to scramble for a prelim year but NOT a rads program.

Please, someone who has gone through the process, correct me if I am wrong. But this is how I understand it.

So you don't need to go on nearly as many prelim years as rads interviews because you can individually rank them for each rads program. This prevents you from matching at like University of Vermont for rads but a prelim year in North Dakota (unless you want that) - for your UVM rank you could specify several programs in the region so that you wouldn't have to move far (or at all if you ranked and matched to a prelim year at UVM) between intern year and rads residency.

What are your stats (don't need to be too specific if you don't want to)? 76 rads seems like a bit much to me, too. Seriously, though, 60 prelims is way overkill. You are going to be exhausted (and broke) by the end of interview season. You could like literally be bottom of the barrel, the worst applicant in the entire match and still not need to apply to that many prelims. Especially if many of your applications are to rads programs in the same general vicinity (i.e. NY state, midwest, etc.).

How would you have time for 74+60 (134) interviews?

Even if you get half of them there is no way you can do 60-70 interviews . . . .

Hey guys, thank you for this great thread. I just wrote a thread of mine yesterday about my chances and it seems that I still have a shot so I am going ahead all the way.

I had some quick questions about prelim/transitional year spots.

On ERAS, there is a section that lets you select transitional years. So these are all the programs that are not Medicine prelim/surgery prelim, right? In other words, they are the ones that include emergency medicine/ electives, etc. Also they are much more competitve than medicine prelim right?

So here is my question. How would you apply separately for a medicine prelim? In other words how can someone do a medicine prelim at say one school and radiology at another school? Lets say I am interested in medicine prelim at University A and radiology at University B. I went to transitional section and selected the appropriate state on ERAS and it seems university A does not have a transitional program. so I guess it means that for me to be able to get a prelim spot at University A I should have been invited for interview there for radiology and then rank their prelim year on my list. Am I correct about this?

Also how much did you modify your personal statement for transitional (not prelim) programs? Because it seems that I get my prelim spot from my radiology interview so the prelim does not require a separate statement, am I right?

Thanks!

Futuredoc,
You apply for prelim spots the same way that you apply for transitional year spots. You have to search under "internal medicine", and then select "preliminary" to apply (if the program has a prelim program).

I'm applying to a lot. A LOT.

My old lady and I are couples matching, and she's doing derm. We're both competitive, but that being said, the match can be a horrible, harsh mistress.

I think I'm gonna vomit, brb.

Holy crap man!!! How much was your ERAS?

You going to RSNA this year? Don't stand me up again. :laugh:

bah. my abstract got rejected, but I mightaswell come, as always it will be the most fun part of the year. I was there in '08, were you?

To other posters.
my usmle is <230, multiple pubs, and we don't have grades. All the reviewers will see is 'no grades, lower usmle...but good lors'....wait for mspe...oh not that many interview spots left, we'll give it to neuronix first...
I'm expecting a 20-30% interview rate, most of them coming after MSPE, not before. I really do not know any programs outside of my region, therefore I cannot assume I know which programs to apply to or which program is good. I was completely surprised at each of my away rotations. So, I applied to a bunch.....

bah. my abstract got rejected, but I mightaswell come, as always it will be the most fun part of the year. I was there in '08, were you?

To other posters.
my usmle is <230, multiple pubs, and we don't have grades. All the reviewers will see is 'no grades, lower usmle...but good lors'....wait for mspe...oh not that many interview spots left, we'll give it to neuronix first...
I'm expecting a 20-30% interview rate, most of them coming after MSPE, not before. I really do not know any programs outside of my region, therefore I cannot assume I know which programs to apply to or which program is good. I was completely surprised at each of my away rotations. So, I applied to a bunch.....

I guess I can understand why you or anyone would apply broadly to radiology programs. But I think that it is going to be really hard to determine which prelim years to accept invite offers to. My guess is that you are going to have a ton of invites. Maybe you can use that to your advantage and email rads programs in the same area as your prelim invite in the hope that they will offer you an interview while you're in the area.

Im going for rads

Applying to 41 programs

I guess I can understand why you or anyone would apply broadly to radiology programs. But I think that it is going to be really hard to determine which prelim years to accept invite offers to. My guess is that you are going to have a ton of invites. Maybe you can use that to your advantage and email rads programs in the same area as your prelim invite in the hope that they will offer you an interview while you're in the area.

Yeah the number of prelims is an overkill. 20-30 is really what is needed, but i'm tryin' to get a transitional. Oh well.

Just wondering if anyone who appled on Sep 1 has heard from any TY/prelim programs (or radiology programs for that matter).

My fellow told me he remembered invites going out pretty early, like as soon as the day after applying. I haven't heard anything yet (submitted Sep 1) and he suggested checking around to see if other people have b/c I might need to apply to more programs. But I applied to 14 prelim/TY programs and think I am a fairly competative applicant (female, step 1 in 99%) so I'm hoping its just that no one else has heard..

Thanks! :luck:

UT-Houston is sending out rads invites

Couple places are sending out TY/Prelim invites.

I applied to 25 TYs, 8 prelim medicines, and haven't gotten an invite from any yet.

Durfen: My PhD advisor disliked RSNA, never went himself, and strongly discouraged his lab members from going. This year I get to go since I'm presenting there, done my PhD, and I have my own funding. I'm surprised he let me submit my abstract there, but I think he didn't care since he knew I could pay for myself to go.

I applied to 25 TYs, 8 prelim medicines, and haven't gotten an invite from any yet.

Durfen: My PhD advisor disliked RSNA, never went himself, and strongly discouraged his lab members from going. This year I get to go since I'm presenting there, done my PhD, and I have my own funding. I'm surprised he let me submit my abstract there, but I think he didn't care since he knew I could pay for myself to go.

But you got to go to ISMRM likely, which is usually in a better location than cold Chicago. Although i love cold Chicago, probably because I'm always there when RSNA is on.....

Got a University of Tennessee - Knoxville invite today! (9/13)

Two weeks into this thing. Anyone on SDN w/ interview invites? They seem to be rolling in per AM.

I submitted my applications on September 1st. To date I have no interview offers. It has only been 16 days. Does anyone know when I can expect some responses ?

One Radiology invite and two intern year invites (1 TY and one medicine) here. Seems that many programs are interviewing, but I think that the majority are not. I think that things will start to pick up in about two weeks, then peak in the first and second week of November after the Dean's letter comes in.

Cliff, you out there? Any invites?

RisingSun, where do you have an invite (if you don't mind me asking)?

Some girl I know said she got an interview at Wake Forest on 9/24

Some girl I know said she got an interview at Wake Forest on 9/24

She must be a really strong applicant - I've heard that Wake is very selective.

I applied there but alas ...

Seems like most interview invites are coming from midwest schools. Wonder when the southwest and west coast schools will start offering interviews?

She must be a really strong applicant - I've heard that Wake is very selective.

I applied there but alas ...

Seems like most interview invites are coming from midwest schools. Wonder when the southwest and west coast schools will start offering interviews?

I really don't know how good of an applicant she is, but she did also get a UNC interview recently.

The only school in the west that I know of thats been notifying is UNM.

The coastal schools (particularly the more competitive ones) typically wait until November when the MSPE is released.

I have two Rads (Wake, and UThouston), and a TY at Arrowhead in SoCal.

Who's the cracker on AM saying Mayo is full? Any reliability in this?

Ha, I came here to check out that Mayo rumor too. UGH. Come on Mayo - interview me!

I have two Rads (Wake, and UThouston), and a TY at Arrowhead in SoCal.

Who's the cracker on AM saying Mayo is full? Any reliability in this?

KonRAD,

Good interviews! Both were places that I applied to but maybe I have been passed up as I haven't heard anything yet. One of the IR fellows here did his TY at Arrowhead, said he worked like a dog but got a great experience.

I won't give up on Mayo until I get a rejection but I'm not optimistic at this point. Few places are as family oriented as Mayo is, and that was one of my primary reasons for applying. Oh well. I'm very happy with the interviews that I have gotten so far.

I got a rads interview from UVA, so I guess they are giving out spots for anyone who is interested/applying.

So the Mayo spots may all be taken? How many do they accept/interview anyways?

Not to feed neuroticism (except my own), but how many rads interviews do people have so far?

Last edited: