2011 University of South Florida COP

Started by amox
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Yeah, I couldn't wait so I called Jackie. Official letters are being sent out today though. Are you on the list too?
Nope. Havent heard anything since interview! and i m guessing it is too late now😱.... are they e-mailing the letters of denial as well?
 
I would give them a call just in case. She didn't mention anything about denial letters, but I think the letters are being sent out through snail mail.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i had e-mailed end of last week so i dont want to call n bother her. anyway, will just wait n see. did she give u the rank for the alternate list?

She said she couldn't tell me how many people were on the list, but she told me my ranking. It's not great, but it's also not horrible.
 
Not yet, I applied to 2 other schools and still haven't heard anything from either one so I just want to get accepted somewhere already lol.
 
lol... same here... by ur name, i m guessing u also applied to UF? i haven't heard anything from them as well. n i think they are very close to end of the interview process
 
Yep, I don't know what to think about UF. Do you know anyone that has gotten a denial letter from them yet? I don't know if its a good or bad thing that I haven't heard from them yet.
 
hey when did they tell you that you were waitlisted? they havent told me anything yet. do you know if they already accepted all the ones they wanted? and when do denial letters get sent for USF? THIS SUCKS!!!
 
Yep, I don't know what to think about UF. Do you know anyone that has gotten a denial letter from them yet? I don't know if its a good or bad thing that I haven't heard from them yet.

Hi! I know UF has sent out denial emails. A friend of mine was denied. I still haven't heard from them, but was accepted to USF. UF still has an interview in May. A friend of mine who is a P1 at UF in Seminole didn't get her interview invite until May last year, so don't give up hope. Also, USF facebook group only has 36 people in it. I would imagine that some (although I haven't heard of any) will be giving up their spots. Some of the people accepted to USF may be waiting to see if they get accepted to UF before giving up their seats..? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!:xf:
 
I interviewed at the UF seminole campus on May 18 and heard back within a week of that date on my acceptance. Not sure how soon you can expect to hear back from the other campuses.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey when did they tell you that you were waitlisted? they havent told me anything yet. do you know if they already accepted all the ones they wanted? and when do denial letters get sent for USF? THIS SUCKS!!!

Hey I found out on friday through an email and then I called yesterday to see my ranking. I don't know about the denial letters, you should try calling Jackie.
 
Hi! I know UF has sent out denial emails. A friend of mine was denied. I still haven't heard from them, but was accepted to USF. UF still has an interview in May. A friend of mine who is a P1 at UF in Seminole didn't get her interview invite until May last year, so don't give up hope. Also, USF facebook group only has 36 people in it. I would imagine that some (although I haven't heard of any) will be giving up their spots. Some of the people accepted to USF may be waiting to see if they get accepted to UF before giving up their seats..? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!:xf:

Well that makes me feel a little better that denial letters have been sent out... thanks! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too 🙂
 
hey

does anyone has an idea around how many people are on alternate list? i am on alternate list. anyone else know there rank.
 
Last edited:
The alternate list is at least in the 20's cuz i know a guy that's in the 20's
@Gaingator, I would take ur ranking # off your post, i know they said that's their policy to not disclose it & idk if the staff checks this forum 🙂

& To those that got accepted, Are u guys thinking about turning it down?? I'm really thinking about withdrawing from the offer and going to another school cuz idk if I can handle the workload they put on the first class.. I have to take care of my family too so i'm very worried... Can I get your input on the level of difficulty the first class will have?

 
does anyone know if they have decided on on the accepted ones and now they are doing the alternate in order?
 
I talked with Mrs. Grosser recently... and looks like even though they already have rejected and waitlisted many students, they still have applications they haven't finalized a decision on. So all the students that may still get an acceptance letters, have not received them yet.

I don't like this waiting. As a USF undergrad, I was very eager to hear an acceptance from the Pharmacy program. But having already been accepted by UF and almost losing hope on USF (because I don't understand what on my application or interview could have held me back)...has really gotten me more and more leaning towards UF and the benefits of graduating from a larger well established pharmacy program. Also I believe that the job search may be a little bit easier after graduation due to greater networking opportunities through UF and the large number of UF Pharmacy alums out there.

Anyone have an opinion on what may help in the long run when it comes to graduating from UF of USF pharmacy?
 
I talked with Mrs. Grosser recently... and looks like even though they already have rejected and waitlisted many students, they still have applications they haven't finalized a decision on. So all the students that may still get an acceptance letters, have not received them yet.

I don't like this waiting. As a USF undergrad, I was very eager to hear an acceptance from the Pharmacy program. But having already been accepted by UF and almost losing hope on USF (because I don't understand what on my application or interview could have held me back)...has really gotten me more and more leaning towards UF and the benefits of graduating from a larger well established pharmacy program. Also I believe that the job search may be a little bit easier after graduation due to greater networking opportunities through UF and the large number of UF Pharmacy alums out there.

Anyone have an opinion on what may help in the long run when it comes to graduating from UF of USF pharmacy?

UF is a great school if you're institutional-minded. If you want to do retail, there's really no point and any other school would suffice. Good luck.
 
well UF is an amazing school and their passing percentage score for the test to get your license is like 90-95, i believe it has never been lower than 90. when you graduate from UF EVERYONE knows you have had a great education. plus it must be awesome being a gator lol. the only reason why i didnt apply to UF is because i didnt have physics 2. had i applied and been accepted i def would have gone there.
USF i believe is going to be like that in the future which is why i really want to go there. either way i have lost all hope of going there because they have decided who their alternates are. im probably in the denied pile 😡
 
right, but the big difficulty for me (very superficial in the long run, lol)...is actually being a gator. I'm a huge bulls fan, and been a strong gator hater (or really any other florida team) while I was in undergrad.

but its real petty. so I am definitely willing to look past that if I do choose UF. but yea, I guess everyone should just hope for the best 🙂
 
Well. Honestly in terms of reputation and establishment. I would pick UF & LECOM for sure. UF is probably one of the top pharmacy schools right now and LECOM is currently the largest medical college in the country so it's made a name for itself. But USF does tempt you a lot with their offers lol.

I'm currently a USF undergrad and I really would like to stay but I must admit I get pretty annoyed when I tell people I got accepted at USF and they respond "I didn't even know USF had a Pharmacy School, is it any good?" I really wonder to myself if that will even change in a couple years and I wonder if it will affect my job opportunities afterwards outside of retail... So i'm pretty leaning towards accepting another school's offer but idk...
 
The beauty of this is, you have the opportunity to change that response and to help build that reputation!

Well. Honestly in terms of reputation and establishment. I would pick UF & LECOM for sure. UF is probably one of the top pharmacy schools right now and LECOM is currently the largest medical college in the country so it's made a name for itself. But USF does tempt you a lot with their offers lol.

I'm currently a USF undergrad and I really would like to stay but I must admit I get pretty annoyed when I tell people I got accepted at USF and they respond "I didn't even know USF had a Pharmacy School, is it any good?" I really wonder to myself if that will even change in a couple years and I wonder if it will affect my job opportunities afterwards outside of retail... So i'm pretty leaning towards accepting another school's offer but idk...
 
I'm new to this board but have been reading for months now. Good to talk with you all. I'm still waiting and crossing my fingers for those of you who have yet to hear. I'm just curious pharmacist 5870 what is your interest in this program? Or do you participate in all of the florida school pages? Your posts seem rather detailed as if you have a connection or something. It looks like you are already a pharmd student at a school out of state. Appreciate your insights though... 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where exactly is the school supposed to be located at in the near future? I mean they cant expect all 100+ students (per year) to remain at the USF medical school campus. and I know the lakeland thing got the veto by Christ. There is simply not enough room esp with them increasing medical school class size by 50 students per year to about 170 per yr (hence all of the renovations)..

Is there still hope that lakeland lands the college of pharmacy in the end? Are they gonna build another building? Have they said anything during the interviews?
 
Where exactly is the school supposed to be located at in the near future? I mean they cant expect all 100+ students (per year) to remain at the USF medical school campus. and I know the lakeland thing got the veto by Christ. There is simply not enough room esp with them increasing medical school class size by 50 students per year to about 170 per yr (hence all of the renovations)..

Is there still hope that lakeland lands the college of pharmacy in the end? Are they gonna build another building? Have they said anything during the interviews?


For now it will be housed at the medical campus in Tampa. I think the may expand to the polytecnic campus in Lakeland (speculation I've heard).

They are building the Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation (CAMLS) yay camels in Tampa, which will open in 2012.

In addition each semester there will be 6 weeks of rotations. The students will be displaced at this time from campus to pharmacies in near proximity.

I also heard that the class size was to max out at ~120.
 
Where exactly is the school supposed to be located at in the near future? I mean they cant expect all 100+ students (per year) to remain at the USF medical school campus. and I know the lakeland thing got the veto by Christ. There is simply not enough room esp with them increasing medical school class size by 50 students per year to about 170 per yr (hence all of the renovations)..

Is there still hope that lakeland lands the college of pharmacy in the end? Are they gonna build another building? Have they said anything during the interviews?

Yesterday Gov Scott vetoed again the building in Lakeland. But it doesn't affect funding for the Tampa USF COP campus. The Tampa campus already has full funding to proceed. They have built two more huge classroom spaces in preparation for the pharmacy students, in addition to the shared classroom space already in existence, in addition to the new CAMLS building. There is plenty of space at the Tampa campus for three full years of 100 pharmacy students. Fourth year is out on rotation.
 
Yesterday Gov Scott vetoed again the building in Lakeland. But it doesn't affect funding for the Tampa USF COP campus. The Tampa campus already has full funding to proceed. They have built two more huge classroom spaces in preparation for the pharmacy students, in addition to the shared classroom space already in existence, in addition to the new CAMLS building. There is plenty of space at the Tampa campus for three full years of 100 pharmacy students. Fourth year is out on rotation.

just curious where you went for undergrad?

i did mine at usf for five years and had a few classes on the public health side as well as research in the COM building.....and all i heard from students and faculty alike is how small the facilities are and cramped.....
 
just curious where you went for undergrad?

i did mine at usf for five years and had a few classes on the public health side as well as research in the COM building.....and all i heard from students and faculty alike is how small the facilities are and cramped.....

That's what I'm saying... Most of the students I know who didn't do undergrad at USF think the facility will be enough just because they said it would at the interview. But people who go to USF know the College of Medicine is cramped as it is... At interviews, there were boxes of stuff everywhere because the Pharmacy office is at the back of the college of medicine like a storage area. The dean can talk all he wants but once the accreditation committee tours and reviews the campus, it is a possibility they will get denied. Everyone on campus has been saying the college is a half baked plan.. The college of medicine students I know ARE NOT Happy at all they have to share their lecture room... lol
 
That's what I'm saying... Most of the students I know who didn't do undergrad at USF think the facility will be enough just because they said it would at the interview. But people who go to USF know the College of Medicine is cramped as it is... At interviews, there were boxes of stuff everywhere because the Pharmacy office is at the back of the college of medicine like a storage area. The dean can talk all he wants but once the accreditation committee tours and reviews the campus, it is a possibility they will get denied. Everyone on campus has been saying the college is a half baked plan.. The college of medicine students I know ARE NOT Happy at all they have to share their lecture room... lol

They're re-doing the building so that they can divide the rooms and open them up with those movable walls. It's not getting denied by ACPE LOL. Wishful thinking?
 
They're re-doing the building so that they can divide the rooms and open them up with those movable walls. It's not getting denied by ACPE LOL. Wishful thinking?

LOL i never said it was. I said it's a possibility because I walk around that building a lot & the lecture room is very cramped, dividing it won't make it better lol. It just creates a wall. It's always filled up at all hrs of the day (I bet it was too when most of you interviewed). There will be barely room next year, not to mention the next 2 years students coming in.

And if you live in Tampa you would know the CAMLS building isn't even halfway built yet. ACPE are easy and lenient, read up on them, they demand a solid campus and facility for students.

CAMLS%20USF%204%205-16-11.jpg
 
LOL i never said it was. I said it's a possibility because I walk around that building a lot & the lecture room is very cramped, dividing it won't make it better lol. It just creates a wall. It's always filled up at all hrs of the day (I bet it was too when most of you interviewed). There will be barely room next year, not to mention the next 2 years students coming in.

And if you live in Tampa you would know the CAMLS building isn't even halfway built yet. ACPE are easy and lenient, read up on them, they demand a solid campus and facility for students.

CAMLS%20USF%204%205-16-11.jpg

did you take this while skydiving or in a hot air balloon? LOL
 
Sorry, I have another question. I know tuition is 15,100/year. Is that the full 4 years, or just years P3 and P4? A lot of schools do it different.
 
That's what I'm saying... Most of the students I know who didn't do undergrad at USF think the facility will be enough just because they said it would at the interview. But people who go to USF know the College of Medicine is cramped as it is... At interviews, there were boxes of stuff everywhere because the Pharmacy office is at the back of the college of medicine like a storage area. The dean can talk all he wants but once the accreditation committee tours and reviews the campus, it is a possibility they will get denied. Everyone on campus has been saying the college is a half baked plan.. The college of medicine students I know ARE NOT Happy at all they have to share their lecture room... lol

There seems to be a lot of misinformation. There are three brand new classroom spaces currently under construction in addition to the two lecture halls currently in existence. They are being built to accommodate the increase in students that Pharmacy will cause. Therefore, while pharmacy and medicine will be sharing space, it is not just the original lecture halls. Yes, the two lecture halls will be getting a facelift and able to be seperated - but there are three additional spaces currently close to completion and ready to welcome classes starting Aug 15th. This is in addition to the CAMLS building (which by the way was never intended to be finished in time to welcome new students).

Tuition will be $15 K for all four years. Tuition is charged by year and not by credit hour. Students in the inaugural class are eligible for an $8k scholarship for the first year.
 
Hi guys, after pharmcas is submitted do I have to wait until they email me a link to their supplemental or do I have to go in and start one up? Thanks
 
Hey guys and girls, one quick question to those of you who applied last year!!

Did any of you actually make it to the 4500 character limit on the essay questions for the supplemental app? It seems so long to do that many essays with that many characters!!

edit: nevermind, I was thinking words lol
 
Hey guys, i'm applying to usf... I have about 20 credits earned in high school from IB exams. I transferred these credits to my undergrad institution and they are posted on my undergrad transcript. Anyone know whether usf requires a transcript from the IBO saying you earned those credits? Or does the credits posted on your undergrad transcript suffice? Help please :/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, i'm applying to usf... I have about 20 credits earned in high school from IB exams. I transferred these credits to my undergrad institution and they are posted on my undergrad transcript. Anyone know whether usf requires a transcript from the IBO saying you earned those credits? Or does the credits posted on your undergrad transcript suffice? Help please :/

As of last year, you needed separate transcripts from each separate entity.

In comment to length of personal statement. FOR ANYTHING, write what you feel is necessary without going over. If you feel like you've answered everything within 2000 characters, then stop. Treat it like the price is right, you can win with the exact amount, or even one dollar.

If anyone has questions post them, as a current student, I would be glad to answer, or find the answer.

As an update, USF Is amazing! All of the students in the program are having a great time and learning a lot.

I hope everyone is having fun applying (I know I did and was broke!). Good luck!
 
As of last year, you needed separate transcripts from each separate entity.

In comment to length of personal statement. FOR ANYTHING, write what you feel is necessary without going over. If you feel like you've answered everything within 2000 characters, then stop. Treat it like the price is right, you can win with the exact amount, or even one dollar.

If anyone has questions post them, as a current student, I would be glad to answer, or find the answer.

As an update, USF Is amazing! All of the students in the program are having a great time and learning a lot.

I hope everyone is having fun applying (I know I did and was broke!). Good luck!


Wow, sounds like you guys are really being welcome w/ open arms. I just saw your white coat ceremony on facebook - really nice from start to finish.

Do you mind sharing your stats? I submitted my supplemental recently and wondering what my chances are.
 
I'm really hoping to get an interview from this school. I'd love to be in the 2nd class!!

Does anyone know when they started sending out invites last year?