2012-2013 Radiology Applicants Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
awww yea 22.5 days left!

Members don't see this ad.

Not that you're counting. ;)

I'm just happiest to almost be done with geriatrics rotation at this point. If I hear one more non-radiologist tell me, "This is important to know, even as a radiologist", I'm going to snap.

Not that you're counting. ;)

I'm just happiest to almost be done with geriatrics rotation at this point. If I hear one more non-radiologist tell me, "This is important to know, even as a radiologist", I'm going to snap.
ive gotten so many of those and i just finished a month of surgery...

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a mandatory geriatrics rotation. It was mostly by ARNPs.

I feel like time is slowing down the closer we get to match day. :thumbdown:

Anyone want to share anecdotes about how far down the rank list most people go? Last year applicants fell low at my school but were couples matching. Looks like most people on sdn last year got their first or second choice.

There is always that horror story. I know someone that dropped down more than he expected two years ago, but he, allegedly, comes off poorly at first and isn't the greatest interviewer.

I think the only way it would be a real guy check for me is if I dropped below 10 and even then, I wouldn't be too disappointed.

My class last year had 20 or so people go into rads and most, if not all, matched within their top 3 to 5 - landed at places like Hopkins, UTSW, MIR, UPMC, USCD, and UCSF.

i really hope thats true.. i just dont want to end up in choices 12-14... anything above that is perfectly fine all things considered.

I had to SOAP, but I finally got a spot. I am going to be a radiologist!

Welp...I didn't SOAP, but I got a glimpse of the list of unfilled programs. Not going to name anything to avoid potential match violations, but now I am almost definitely sure where the lowest I'll go down to on my list is. It's a relief, because it's above the rank on my match list that I'd have been happy at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welp...I didn't SOAP, but I got a glimpse of the list of unfilled programs. Not going to name anything to avoid potential match violations, but now I am almost definitely sure where the lowest I'll go down to on my list is. It's a relief, because it's above the rank on my match list that I'd have been happy at.

Odds are probably in your favor, but there's always the distinct possibility they didn't rank you at all.

For those of us that ranked prelim programs on the main rank order list, would they have told us if we only matched prelim, but not advanced this past Monday? I ranked 3 prelims on the bottom of my main rank so I'm hoping my match letter will show both prelim and advanced and not just prelim. Thanks...

Odds are probably in your favor, but there's always the distinct possibility they didn't rank you at all.

Yep, hence the "almost" definitely. Though I do think it was one of my best interviews (the rare one where you just click with the residents/attendings).

One of my colleagues who did not match into his less popular speciality is saying that this happened because all medical students are shying away from Radiology and taking all the Neurology and anesthesia seats!! He said he can SOAP for Radiology and get a position very easy!! I really don't think this is true. Getting interviews and matching for radiology and prelim was very difficult for me as an IMG!!
I really don't care about what was he saying!! but I wonder if you guys think its true!!

One of my colleagues who did not match into his less popular speciality is saying that this happened because all medical students are shying away from Radiology and taking all the Neurology and anesthesia seats!! He said he can SOAP for Radiology and get a position very easy!! I really don't think this is true. Getting interviews and matching for radiology and prelim was very difficult for me as an IMG!!
I really don't care about what was he saying!! but I wonder if you guys think its true!!

I quickly put this together by looking at the NRMP data and results for the most recent years and checking the R3 page for 2013's regional statistics:

Year - #offered - #filled - #unmatched

2013:
PGY1 - 164 150 14 unmatched
PGY2 - 979 928 51 unmatched

2012:
PGY1 - 135 124 11 unmatched
PGY2 - 976 901 75 unmatched

2011:
PGY1 - 144 136 8 unmatched
PGY2 - 980 947 33 unmatched

2010:
PGY1 - 141 139 2 unmatched
PGY2 - 949 945 4 unmatched

2009:
PGY1 - 151 148 3 unmatched
PGY2 - 944 937 7 unmatched

2008:
PGY1 - 157 153 4 unmatched
PGY2 - 928 909 19 unmatched

2010 must have sucked for scramblers.

I think your colleague is way off.

Last edited:

this is ******ed

I'm getting nervous just thinking about opening that envelope tomorrow. :scared:

For those of us that ranked prelim programs on the main rank order list, would they have told us if we only matched prelim, but not advanced this past Monday? I ranked 3 prelims on the bottom of my main rank so I'm hoping my match letter will show both prelim and advanced and not just prelim. Thanks...

You would have been notified that you had matched to a prelim position.

In other words, congratulations, you're a radiologist. :)

Both :mad: Still working on prelim.

Got a surgery prelim offer at Albert Einstein Montiefiore. Probably not the easiest, but it is better than no prelim. I am amazed at how quick these spots have dwindled.

Got a surgery prelim offer at Albert Einstein Montiefiore. Probably not the easiest, but it is better than no prelim. I am amazed at how quick these spots have dwindled.
Glad to now be able to say Congrats on being fully matched. Congrats. Probably wasn't how you imagined spending your week, but you persevered.

Congrats Greg. You will love NYC. I wouldn't want to spend than a year there though ;)

congrats everyone!! hope you are happy with your spots!!

Did anyone happen to match with a step 1 below 220?? If so, where and with what score?

Is everyone here taking two rad electives during their intern year? Any reason why I shouldn't do so?

Is everyone here taking two rad electives during their intern year? Any reason why I shouldn't do so?
I'm not doing any. I have the rest of my life for that. Besides, not like I'll be doing all that much on a DR elective anyways.

I'm not doing any. I have the rest of my life for that. Besides, not like I'll be doing all that much on a DR elective anyways.

I'm doing one so far. Trying to weigh +/- on doing another.

I would if I could.

My program is categorical and allows us to start Rads during the last two months of PGY-1. I'm pretty happy about a shortened intern year!

I am doing a couple weeks. Would do more if I could.

Hi,
I am doing some shopping before I start my IM internship next week. In addition to a pair of comfy shoes what should I buy? I don't have a decent stethoscope, should I get a good one? Do I need a reflex hammer and other stuff?
Thanks,
Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Get some version of a Littman stethoscope - cardio III if you can afford it.

Will you have medical students? That's your resource for reflex hammers, etc.

A penlight is a good idea too, but you will lose them.