2012-2013 Radiology Applicants Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I recently received an interview for a program that had sent me a clear rejection over a month ago. What a mess. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know what your thoughts are on my possibilities to match into radiology.

U.S. IMG
Step 1:219
Step 2: 245

2 Years of U.S. Clinical experience.
2 years of Research, 1 year as a Visiting Scientist at a Top Rads University program with a Strong LOR from the Chairman and Vice Chairs of Diagnostic Radiology.

8 Publications in Radiology
2 Presentations

Background:
5 Years Military Experience w/ 2 tours of combat
2 Years as a Trader on Wall street
Founder of a Mid-Sized non for profit for radio-frequency minimally invasive surgeries in South America.

What do you guys think? Thank you so much!

You will get filtered out at a lot of places based on your step 1. Your situation is unique but I believe if you apply broadly you will likely get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
for your interest
i am a US IMG non-traditional; also was in army with unique experiences...
238/255
i received 8 interviews/35 applications. i got rejected from a bunch of low tier programs and got interviews at top 10 places. it is a crapshoot. a lot of ppl liked my diverse background and that is why i think i got a bunch of very good places. i definitely think you have a chance. the most important thing are VERY good letters and CONNECTIONS. if you have any connections that will be very important

Thank you so much Guys!!! I really appreciate it. I was Planning in applying to over 100 Programs for PGY-2.... I hope that is enough to make it into Rads.... Any other suggestions guys? Daniel

@SHIGLY,

A good friend of mine is the Vice-Chair of the Radiology Department, I will be receiving a very very strong letter from him and potentially a very strong Letter from the Chairman of Diagnostic Radiology.

Thank you guys so much! Anymore insight please feel free to share. I am so thankful for your insight and help!
Daniel

Expressing interest in a program to the program director should not be underestimated. If you really want to go somewhere, let them know. This is one of the only ways they can differentiate since a lot of people apply everywhere.

I've gotten great feedback just by replying to a few emails from the PD after the interview. I didn't feel like if was fair to express outright that I was ranking them number one, since I had so many interviews left, but I emphasized how much I enjoyed their program and the interview day.

It can be tough differentiating the standard thank you email from one of interest on their end sometimes, but still makes you feel good. :p

Wondering if I have a shot at any Chicago programs as an osteopathic student
USMLE step 1: 229
COMLEX 1:568

I am a third med student. Part of Sigma Sigma Phi. Top 20 in my class. Research w/ interventional neuroradiologist which produced a poster presentation and hopefully a publication. Also, have done some routine extracurriculars that most students do.
Do I have a shot at all in Chicago? What can I do to improve my chances to land residency in Chicago? If not Chicago, do I have a chance anywhere?
bball7865 is offline Reply With Quote

Wondering if I have a shot at any Chicago programs as an osteopathic student
USMLE step 1: 229
COMLEX 1:568

I am a third med student. Part of Sigma Sigma Phi. Top 20 in my class. Research w/ interventional neuroradiologist which produced a poster presentation and hopefully a publication. Also, have done some routine extracurriculars that most students do.
Do I have a shot at all in Chicago? What can I do to improve my chances to land residency in Chicago? If not Chicago, do I have a chance anywhere?
bball7865 is offline Reply With Quote

Do you have any connections to Chicago? Regional bias plays a huge role, especially in the midwest, likely because fewer applicants are likely to want to come to the midwest from the coasts than vice versa.

I personally struck out completely in Chicago after applying to every program there without any connections, despite the fact that I've gotten many interviews at more competitive programs elsewhere.

I also struck out in Chicago applying out of the region despite having great interviews at other places. Away rotation is a must if you want to break into a different region.

Do you have any connections to Chicago? Regional bias plays a huge role, especially in the midwest, likely because fewer applicants are likely to want to come to the midwest from the coasts than vice versa.

I personally struck out completely in Chicago after applying to every program there without any connections, despite the fact that I've gotten many interviews at more competitive programs elsewhere.
I am from Chicago and lived here my whole life. As far as knowing doctors or some upper end people, I have no connections. Some relatives are doctors in the are though.

You just have to try to network and get someone to make a call for you. The process feels random at times. I only got waitlisted at one Chicago program and rejected from others as a guy who grew up not far from there, yet I got interviews at a few, arguably stronger, programs in other places, including NYC.

That is an unfulfilling answer, but the "just try and see what happens" is about the best you can get.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aite..will try to make some connection and hope for the best.

Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic- MN, U of Maryland, Boston University

What would be the "order" in terms of being very academic and earning a fellowship at the most elite level institutions?

This thread...no, this entire forum is pretty dead.

Anyone else finished with interviews and finalizing the rank list? Mine is pretty much set, and now I'm having a difficult time managing my expectations so that I won't get too crushed in the next-to-worst case scenario that I match near the bottom of my list. I'd be extremely happy to match in my top 2, satisfied with the next 7, somewhat disappointed with the rest, and devastated to match at my last one (which I'm debating removing from my list).

The fact that people are reluctant to reveal how far down they matched on their list makes it difficult to get any good data on how far down radiology applicants tend to go...

Have one more interview left. In the end I'll be ranking 17. My top 3 are set, after 6 or 7 still debating. Would be ecstatic at my top 3!

I ended up with 11 interviews. I am blessed considering.

My top 4 are established. The middle few are the most challenging for me.

I keep rearranging the top 3, but the stuff beyond that is finalized. Whenever I feel 100% on the order of the top 3, I change it. :/ I seriously need to figure this out by the end of the week as they are probably doing their rank lists by then if not sooner so I can email the #1 letting them know.

This thread...no, this entire forum is pretty dead.

Anyone else finished with interviews and finalizing the rank list? Mine is pretty much set, and now I'm having a difficult time managing my expectations so that I won't get too crushed in the next-to-worst case scenario that I match near the bottom of my list. I'd be extremely happy to match in my top 2, satisfied with the next 7, somewhat disappointed with the rest, and devastated to match at my last one (which I'm debating removing from my list).

The fact that people are reluctant to reveal how far down they matched on their list makes it difficult to get any good data on how far down radiology applicants tend to go...

Although this is a gross oversimplification, most US seniors match in their top 3. From my school last year, 6/7 rads applicants matched their #1 and the 7th got his #2. I only know of one person from the interview trail last year that went below #4. Granted if you have super top tier programs as your #1-5, you may drift down a little, but as a whole it's very unlikely you'll go below #4-5

Although this is a gross oversimplification, most US seniors match in their top 3. From my school last year, 6/7 rads applicants matched their #1 and the 7th got his #2. I only know of one person from the interview trail last year that went below #4. Granted if you have super top tier programs as your #1-5, you may drift down a little, but as a whole it's very unlikely you'll go below #4-5

Thanks for the info! That is relieving to hear. Though I have to admit it does seem a bit difficult to believe considering that all the programs are interviewing 10 or so applicants per spot.

Would have to echo this.

I have my list, would be happy anywhere but of course number 1 >> the test. I'm having a much harder time ranking my TYs

I've had struggles for 2-5, mostly because I will be in a long distance relationship and debating whether to rank my favorite program or ideal location. So far, I'm just going with my heart because 5 or 6 hours driving isn't much different than having to fly anyway, but yea...I just committed to my number 1 and said I wouldn't change it because I realized that is the one I would be wondering "What if?" If I didn't match there.

Difficult with family in the mix also. My #1 is set. 2 through 6 keep changing and I feel like I would be happy to match at any of them. Debated on removing the last couple from my list but decided that it would be better to match there than to scramble. I think I am going to avoid AM. That place is like a den of trolls.

although I dont doubt this it would not be a good reason to feel secure for our match. Seeing as 86 spots were unfilled this year, I think programs interviewed more people/spot to make sure they don't go unfilled this year.

I still hope everyone does well, top 3 would be great. Good luck errrbody!

One top program I went to mentioned that they interviewed 25% more people this cycle.

Mind saying where that was? Hadn't heard of that although I have heard some top se progs have had app drops of approx. 15% but a negligible drop in overall applicant strength.

I've had struggles for 2-5, mostly because I will be in a long distance relationship and debating whether to rank my favorite program or ideal location. So far, I'm just going with my heart because 5 or 6 hours driving isn't much different than having to fly anyway, but yea...I just committed to my number 1 and said I wouldn't change it because I realized that is the one I would be wondering "What if?" If I didn't match there.

Same exact boat...

I just want to thank all of you guys here for not being monstrous dbag trolls like on AM. That forum is unreadable nowadays.

I think SDN tends to have a crowd that has been around a little longer than the few months of application season.

I don't really hide who I am much on purpose. I believe in some sort of accountability for what I say, even though it may get misinterpreted. :p

My home program is in a highly desirable location, and says that there has been no drop in applicant strength or numbers this year.

I just want to thank all of you guys here for not being monstrous dbag trolls like on AM. That forum is unreadable nowadays.

Just have to have fun with the trolls... like what I am doing. Can't take them seriously.

Out of curiosity, did any programs offer second looks?

I am sure it is not quite as useful in radiology as other specialties.

A few places told me that if I wanted a second look to email them or call and they would try to accommodate.

The only place it seemed really useful was the program I interviewed at early on and really loved. Wanted to differentiate whether it was early interview adrenaline or true love. Didn't do a formal look, but since I was in town for a TY interview, I wandered around r area and talked to some people.

Anyone have thoughts on Emory versus UTSW? These two programs were very similar with both having multiple sites and a large county hospital. Facilities will be nicer at UTSW with the new hospitals I suppose. Anyone have any insights?

Anyone have thoughts on Emory versus UTSW? These two programs were very similar with both having multiple sites and a large county hospital. Facilities will be nicer at UTSW with the new hospitals I suppose. Anyone have any insights?
Wasn't a big fan of either but Emory gave me a much worse gut feeling. I'm sure both programs provide adequate training. Atlanta is a ****hole though. The residents at both places are mostly southern, so I felt out of place.

I thought the biggest problem with Emory was that the interview day was so long.

I'm not from the South either, but have lived in much deeper south than Atlanta, so I suppose I didn't notice the difference. Atlanta is like a lot of places and has nice areas and crappy areas. I wouldn't consider the area around Emory a bad place to live. Wander over to the other end of town and sure....can get a little scary.

This forum is so dead! How are everyone's ROLs coming along?

My 1-4 are set and bottom are set but still might move around the middle... Such a hard decision.

I have changed my ROL a bazillion times but I think I am sticking to the current version. If I match at 1-7 = über happy, 7+ = still happy (going to be a radiologist!)

Is anyone a bit OCD like me and worry sometimes you selected wrong program on your rank list? For instance, I took like an hour today going through the code number of each program to make sure they match with ACGME # with ERAS website, etc. This is stupid I know, but guess what a little dose of anxiety can do...

Is anyone a bit OCD like me and worry sometimes you selected wrong program on your rank list? For instance, I took like an hour today going through the code number of each program to make sure they match with ACGME # with ERAS website, etc. This is stupid I know, but guess what a little dose of anxiety can do...

I want to do this too. What if I selected the "Physician" only one by accident. How did you match the program code with acgme #? because nrmp only shows program code... and myeras only shows acgme #

i have been freaking out in general...
if i match in any one of my top 6 i would be super happy, thrilled! 7-11 i would be happy that i would be a radiologist in a decent program. 12-14 = super sad....

My top 4 are set and i would be happy at any of them. My middle group are nice and I would also be happy there. My last few are rankable, but not quite as good.

I am working on ordering my middle (5-8) group:
Mt Sinai, UF-Jacksonville, UTMB Galveston, EVMS.

I am debating whether to move UTMB up one. Mainly because galveston is really nice, near houston, and the residents are really happy there. That is about it.

I pretty much locked mine in weeks ago. I just decided it was easier to commit to my decision over agonizing. The mid level ones were strictly by gut feeling over analyzing everything. I can honestly say I wouldn't be sad at any of my programs. I'd be happy enough to do stuff that actually interests me.

...and rank lists are submitted and unchangeable! Oh god, my head hurts. I was mulling over the middle part of my list up till the last minute.

Finally I can relax.

I made one change after I got an email from someone, but otherwise it has stayed the same for me.

This forum has been so dead the entire app season. :thumbdown:

Let all the gossiping start, everything's locked in! :D