* * 2012-2013 Secondary Applications Thread!! * *

About the Ads

HalfListic

1. Medical Student
    off topic but why do some people call this school NOVA instead of NSU?

Because they see it here on SDN... It's not worth correcting every single person every single time.

No harm done.

Also, because the school of osteopathic medicine at NSU, is NOVA southeastern. Its like UT Southwestern or any number of other schools who have added a med school to themselves.

(unless something has changed recently...but their website still reads NOVA southeastern)

:thumbup:

Last edited:

NeuroLAX

Discere faciendo
    Apr 17, 2012
    1. Medical Student
      off topic but why do some people call this school NOVA instead of NSU?

Because they see it here on SDN... It's not worth correcting every single person every single time.

No harm done.

Also, because the school of osteopathic medicine at NSU, is NOVA southeastern. Its like UT Southwestern or any number of other schools who have added a med school to themselves.

:thumbup:

Well, I wouldn't say that it is NOVA Southeastern. That's just how they advertise their logo:

Nova-Southeastern-University.jpg

Also, on the homepage of NSU-COM:

Welcome
      For students pursuing their education at Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-COM), the matriculation experience has proven to be both challenging and rewarding. By combining the most contemporary teaching modalities with the newest technology, our students are assured of obtaining the most comprehensive education possible.Thanks to the synergistic energy of our students, faculty members, and staff members of all of our programs, the pursuit of excellence has become a daily reality at NSU-COM.

dudeliness

hi
      7+ Year Member
      May 28, 2012
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Is NSU a pretty big college? I mean how many seats do they have and does anyone know how well they're set up rotations 3rd and 4th year?
        Yes, I might not have done my homework on them just yet...

MedPR

Membership Revoked
        Removed
        Dec 1, 2011
        1. Pre-Podiatry
          Is NSU a pretty big college? I mean how many seats do they have and does anyone know how well they're set up rotations 3rd and 4th year?
          Yes, I might not have done my homework on them just yet...

The CIB put em at 230 students at NOVA...NSU...NOVSU?

This was in the email they sent after I submitted the secondary.

The Office of Admissions looks forward to receiving and reviewing your completed application in the near future. NSU-COM receives over 5,400 AACOMAS applications each year, of which approximately 230 students are selected for admittance. Early completion of the application process is strongly recommended. Please note that your NSU online application may be submitted prior to AACOMAS receiving your MCAT scores.
          Best wishes in the admissions process.

Dr.TurkandJD

One Dream
          7+ Year Member
          Jan 30, 2012
          US and A
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            Quick question,

Would you considering receiving a secondary/supplemental application a real chance and that the school is truly interested in you? Do you look at it as a part of the application process that everyone gets? Would you say its silly to look at a secondary as a false hope for admission?

I think secondaries are just for screeing purposes, not necessarily them being interested in you. And also an excuse for more cashflow. But I know you're an UD and so am I, so it's good to have hope. If you feel like you have a chance just keep trucking and dont give up. you may surprise yourself.

About the Ads

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
            Removed
            May 27, 2011
            1. Medical Student
              Quick question,

Would you considering receiving a secondary/supplemental application a real chance and that the school is truly interested in you? Do you look at it as a part of the application process that everyone gets? Would you say its silly to look at a secondary as a false hope for admission?
              Most schools send out secondary to almost everyone as long as they fullfil the minimum requierements. It is just a part of the application process. People should not get their hope high when receiving secondaries.

Last edited:

ShabNasty

May 19, 2012
              The Mitten
              1. Medical Student
                Depends on where you applied to. Like Temperature101 said, most schools send them out as long as you meet their mins. but I know some schools like WVSOM and WCU-COM only give out secondaries to applicants they are seriously considering. There may be another school or two that operates that way (If anyone else knows or has heard).

Dr.TurkandJD

One Dream
                7+ Year Member
                Jan 30, 2012
                US and A
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  Depends on where you applied to. Like Temperature101 said, most schools send them out as long as you meet their mins. but I know some schools like WVSOM and WCU-COM only give out secondaries to applicants they are seriously considering. There may be another school or two that operates that way (If anyone else knows or has heard).

Yea, I was wondering like DMUCOM or CCOM or LECOM?

are you positive about WCU?

BNHWC2009

May 28, 2012
                  California
                  1. Pre-Medical
                    Quick question,

Everyone who meets their minimum requirements gets a secondary. That being said, it's quite possible to get secondaries from every school and not get any interviews. There's a big difference between meeting the minimum and being competitive. I don't know your stats so I'm not talking specifically about you, just the process in general.

But if having hope in secondaries motivates you to write better essays then have hope! ;) Good luck!

Dr.TurkandJD

One Dream
                    7+ Year Member
                    Jan 30, 2012
                    US and A
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      CCOM was one of the first secondaries out so it's not likely their screening process was rigorous. I don't think DMU or LECOM have sent out yet so they might actually be looking at applications... or they're still dealing with last year's admissions process.

I got a DMU secondary today, its not an essay, just a questioner/survey thing. I have an awful MCAT score, so when I received the email, I replied asking them, what are my chances with this score? They were very nice and responded right away saying that it is to low to be competitive and recommended a re-take.

About the Ads

docmayer

Jun 20, 2011
                        Personally, I think they are just to make money, and not necessarily screen out students. They tend to ask questions that are on our primary application (such as address, parent info, teaching info, volunteer info) and a couple simple essay questions. They are mainly for screening out those with very bad GPA's/MCATs and to make a lot of money. It's BS.:mad:

MedPR

Membership Revoked
                        Removed
                        Dec 1, 2011
                        1. Pre-Podiatry
                          Personally, I think they are just to make money, and not necessarily screen out students. They tend to ask questions that are on our primary application (such as address, parent info, teaching info, volunteer info) and a couple simple essay questions. They are mainly for screening out those with very bad GPA's/MCATs and to make a lot of money. It's BS.:mad:

I think the ones with legit essays are used in the screening process, but I agree about the ones that just have you submit a payment and your name.

NeuroLAX

Discere faciendo
                          Apr 17, 2012
                          1. Medical Student

WVSOM is unique in that they ONLY send out secondaries to those that they are interviewing/plan to interview. I didn't apply to them and only found out a few months ago.

http://www.wvsom.edu/Applicants/applied-faq

PMB5000

May 16, 2012
                            1. Pre-Medical
                              I got a DMU secondary today, its not an essay, just a questioner/survey thing. I have an awful MCAT score, so when I received the email, I replied asking them, what are my chances with this score? They were very nice and responded right away saying that it is to low to be competitive and recommended a re-take.

I may be in the same boat as you. Are you considering a retake this year? Or will you be waiting till next year?

Syialb

Mar 3, 2011
                              1. Pre-Medical
                                If anyone is curious, I spoke with the admissions director at TUCOM-CA when they visited my school a while back and he said that they do screen and only send secondaries to people that they are genuinely interested in. If I remember the numbers correctly, about 400 people get secondaries, of which 200 people get interviews and eventually ~100 get acceptances.

hmania

7+ Year Member
                                May 5, 2012
                                1. Resident [Any Field]
                                  I got an email from the new DO school: Campbell COM saying that they see that I am retaking my MCAT this september and would like to see the new score once it comes back. I guess this is HOPE?!

About the Ads

MedPR

Membership Revoked
                                  Removed
                                  Dec 1, 2011
                                  1. Pre-Podiatry
                                    300-400 sounds about right for schools with a class size of 100-150. Sounds like way too few for those schools with 230 in a class.

Also, even though I know secondaries are sent to everyone (in most cases), I feel great everytime I receive one!

Syialb

Mar 3, 2011
                                    1. Pre-Medical
                                      That's a pretty low number for them to send interview invites to, most schools will interview 300-400.

Yeah, I think I might be remembering the numbers incorrectly. Maybe it was 800 get secondaries, 400 get interviews, 200 get acceptances, 100 eventually matriculate? Ehhh, I do remember though, the admissions director saying they were one of the schools that do screen and only send secondaries to those they're actually interested in.

cgartman

Jun 5, 2012
                                      1. Medical Student
                                        hey guys,
                                        so as some of you may know already, NOVA secondary asks you to:

List and Briefly describe your healthcare related volunteer activities since graduation from high school.

Since this information was already provided to them in the primary, is it wrong to cut and paste the essays used in the primary into this section of the secondary? I dont want to appear lazy, so Im thinking Ill rephrase them in a more concise way. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

HalfListic

1. Medical Student
                                          hey guys,

List and Briefly describe your healthcare related volunteer activities since graduation from high school.

Since this information was already provided to them in the primary, is it wrong to cut and paste the essays used in the primary into this section of the secondary? I dont want to appear lazy, so Im thinking Ill rephrase them in a more concise way. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

some say its fine...most say its better to personalize your secondaries to each school. I'd say if you like the school, you should tailor your secondary to it as much as possible.

up to you

NeuroLAX

Discere faciendo
                                          Apr 17, 2012
                                          1. Medical Student
                                            hey guys,

It says briefly describe, as in a few sentences. Just summarize what it was, what you did, how long you did it for and what you learned from it.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
                                            Removed
                                            Dec 1, 2011
                                            1. Pre-Podiatry

Was this before or after you gave them your money?

AZCOM sent an email to fill out the secondary? i thought only CCOM did so far

AZCOM came in the CCOM email.

coolingglasses

5+ Year Member
                                              Jun 20, 2012
                                              do not try to swim to europe
                                              1. Resident [Any Field]
                                                I think I've read other SDNers getting conditional acceptances to DMU provided they complete biochem before matriculating.

Interesting. Does it usually have to be listed as a planned course in your application in order to be eligible for conditional acceptance? Before I even got my MCAT score back I started screening out schools that had other requirements. A common one was a semester of Biochem. It wasn't required for my degree and I opted to take other science courses instead.

Someone said it was worth calling individual schools to see how flexible they were on that requirement, but I'd like to hear another opinion. I'm not enrolled anywhere right now but I'd consider open enrolling around here.

About the Ads
                                                This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                7. This thread is locked.