2012-2013 University of Toledo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The University of Toledo College of Medicine is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competence is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll give some love, though I admit, I do need to read up some more on the school (applying in-state; UT's probably the Ohio med school I know least about).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll give some love, though I admit, I do need to read up some more on the school (applying in-state; UT's probably the Ohio med school I know least about).

I am obviously applying out of state but I have applied to their SMP here so if I get into that applying to the Med school is a logical step... I should hear back from the SMP in june.

Many many friends who have gone to school here and worked in many facets here. Nothing but good things to say about the campus, the hospital, the quality of education, the attitude of doctors and students here, and the price.
It is located in Toledo though... being Detroit Jr. is not exactly a great distinction.

GOOOO MUD HENS!!!!

Don't mind me, just another applicant....

Do they really screen for secondaries?

Anyone know if there is a character/word limit on this secondary? I didn't see one.

Found out after adding my response that the character limit is 2000

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you post the secondary?

Here it is. Its not too bad!

Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, etc).

The University of Toledo College of Medicine is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competence is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence

I'm having a lot of trouble doing the cultural competency essay...does it have to be cultural competency with regards to healthcare only?

I'm having a lot of trouble doing the cultural competency essay...does it have to be cultural competency with regards to healthcare only?

This is exactly my issue as well. I have experiences that can work in healthcare but my cultural competence was best shown in my other experiences.... I'm sort of sitting on this essay for now hoping to finally commit to something when I get the cahunas.

doubt it, what I wrote had nothing to do with healthcare, medicine, etc.

Not necessarily. I think they just want you to demonstrate that you're aware of cultural complexity/competency.

Oh, and submitted secondary (!!!).

This is exactly my issue as well. I have experiences that can work in healthcare but my cultural competence was best shown in my other experiences.... I'm sort of sitting on this essay for now hoping to finally commit to something when I get the cahunas.

doubt it, what I wrote had nothing to do with healthcare, medicine, etc.

Not necessarily. I think they just want you to demonstrate that you're aware of cultural complexity/competency.

Oh, and submitted secondary (!!!).

thanks guys lol. I submitted a couple days ago so lets hope for the best :xf:

I am looking for answer to a question about OOS tuition. UT med school is public and charges OOS student more than most private schools. I learnt that in Ohio State University OOS student can pay in state tuition in year 2 to 4. Is there a same policy in UT med school? Thanks.

Man, I'm stuggling with this cultural competence essay.

submitted the original application to Toledo today. How long did it take most of you to receive your secondaries?

I understood it like this please tell us of a situation that will help us understand how you deal with different cultures...

Thanks, that's how I ended up interpreting it, submitted this morning. Fingers crossed!

submitted the original application to Toledo today. How long did it take most of you to receive your secondaries?

After I was verified, it only took a day or so, and it took about a month for me to get verified.

Does it have to be dealing with different cultures in a health care related situation? The way they define culture competence make it like it has to be in a health care related situation.

Does it have to be dealing with different cultures in a health care related situation? The way they define culture competence make it like it has to be in a health care related situation.

Yeah, it's weird. I didn't write about a health care situation, though.

Did you guys get any kind of confirmation when complete? I exited out of the application once it said to pay the fee since I have a waiver, but then when I logged back in, there's no record that I did anything? :confused:

Did you guys get any kind of confirmation when complete? I exited out of the application once it said to pay the fee since I have a waiver, but then when I logged back in, there's no record that I did anything? :confused:

I got an email receipt

Any interviews out this year? I am definitely hoping for one :)

i don't think any invites have been sent out yet, also hoping for an interview here. Last year they started to go out in July, so I'm hoping soon!

Does anybody know what the letter requirements are for this school? Their website seems to be down so I can't check.

Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, etc).

For this question, if you had two C's in undergrad, but otherwise good grades, and it was truly the result of awful professors, is there a PC way to explain that without sounding as if you're making excuses or being unprofessional? My LOR even told me that she would touch on one of them, but I don't know if she is aware of what happened with the other, so I am not sure how much extra detail is necessary.

For this question, if you had two C's in undergrad, but otherwise good grades, and it was truly the result of awful professors, is there a PC way to explain that without sounding as if you're making excuses or being unprofessional? My LOR even told me that she would touch on one of them, but I don't know if she is aware of what happened with the other, so I am not sure how much extra detail is necessary.

+1 Except for one of my C's, my best friend was suffering from depression and contemplating suicide, so I dedicated most of my time to her than to my grades that semester...But I don't know if adcoms would still deem this an excuse or not =/

Don't even bother to mention it. 2 C's is nothing. Blaming it on your profs is not the way to go lol if you did mention it.

+1 Except for one of my C's, my best friend was suffering from depression and contemplating suicide, so I dedicated most of my time to her than to my grades that semester...But I don't know if adcoms would still deem this an excuse or not =/

If you feel its pertinent to your grades then I think you should mention it. I'm not an adcom but If I was, I think helping a friend (over worrying about grades) who is in an extremely fragile and vulnerable state is admirable.

But like I said above, if its only one C or two (with otherwise good grades), I don't think its worth writing anything down for that section. But you seem to have a legit reason whereas the previous person didn't lol.

Haha I wrote something about my A-'s. Probably a little over the top but I definitely don't think writing about C's would be bad.

If you feel its pertinent to your grades then I think you should mention it. I'm not an adcom but If I was, I think helping a friend (over worrying about grades) who is in an extremely fragile and vulnerable state is admirable.

But like I said above, if its only one C or two (with otherwise good grades), I don't think its worth writing anything down for that section. But you seem to have a legit reason whereas the previous person didn't lol.

Gotcha. Thank you!

Haha I wrote something about my A-'s. Probably a little over the top but I definitely don't think writing about C's would be bad.

LOL :laugh: for many years now I have been wanting to vent to someone about my 92.8 in biochem which resulted in an A- when a 93 was an A...and how on that third midterm...I totally deserved 2 more points on the PCR question and it woud've turned my grade around! Haha I would personally love to hear about your A-s lol and been loving your sassy comments on SDN in general...thanks for the entertainment! :rofl: and good luck this cycle!

[my apologies to anyone I have disgusted and please feel free to roll your eyes... this is a premed forum though and anonymous so had to get it off my chest :p ]

Anyways complete 8/9 and hoping to get some love from Toledo!!!

Any current students have more intel to get us excited about the school?? We need to liven up this thread!

LOL :laugh: for many years now I have been wanting to vent to someone about my 92.8 in biochem which resulted in an A- when a 93 was an A...and how on that third midterm...I totally deserved 2 more points on the PCR question and it woud've turned my grade around! Haha I would personally love to hear about your A-s lol and been loving your sassy comments on SDN in general...thanks for the entertainment! :rofl: and good luck this cycle!

I got an A- in microbio cause for one test, my professor wouldn't count the answers I circled on the test paper but didn't have time to bubble in on the scantron. Ended up getting a 74 instead of a 92 on that test =/

I got an A- in microbio cause for one test, my professor wouldn't count the answers I circled on the test paper but didn't have time to bubble in on the scantron. Ended up getting a 74 instead of a 92 on that test =/

Let it out brotha... let it out .... I know how much it hurts...that 3.7 when all you want is that 4.0....haha anyone else? come on there has to be more A- stories out there... :p

Any idea when Interview Invites start coming out? I'm definitely hoping for some love as well! :)

I hear this schools screens pre-secondary. Is that true? I just got my secondary today.

I am looking for answer to a question about OOS tuition. UT med school is public and charges OOS student more than most private schools. I learnt that in Ohio State University OOS student can pay in state tuition in year 2 to 4. Is there a same policy in UT med school? Thanks.

Yes. Out of staters here at UTCOM pay a 15,000 dollar surcharge per semester first year ($~30,000 total first year) but can apply for instate residence for 2nd through 4th year. The process is pretty easy, you just have to declare residence (i.e. get your mail here), switch drivers' license, have a lease/mortgage/utilities payments, change over car registration, etc.

Cultural competence essay DOES NOT have to be about a healthcare-related situation, although if you have a situation relating to it then by all means write about it.

Last I heard they still do screen for secondaries, although the screen is EXTREMELY reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.