2012 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The only way I could see that working that immediately springs to mind would be them having a certain number of spots dedicated solely to each of the two match programs (e.g., 2 APPIC spots and 2 CAPIC spots). Otherwise, I don't see how they could get around potentially violating the APPIC/CAPIC match guidelines.

Edit: Unless it's not against one/both match policies to pull out early due to reasons other than funding cuts.

Yes. There are spots solely available to each internship. At least that's what the site that I work at does it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ditto. I saw that coming though, b/c when I looked at last year's thread they said the same thing. Whatever. Their loss....
 
Just out of curiousity, where did y'all apply for phase II? (I'm mostly interested in the child psych people, but others too.)
 
Just out of curiousity, where did y'all apply for phase II? (I'm mostly interested in the child psych people, but others too.)

Required:
APA-accredited
strong EBT

Must meet at least one criteria:
1) significant work with ethnic minorities or cultural competence is emphasized
2) child/family oriented
3) research-friendly

In the end, I only applied to a few places (would rather go through this in the fall than be somewhere I didn't feel was a decent fit).

One is already crossed off my list (UNC) b/c I haven't heard from them
 
Required:
APA-accredited
strong EBT

Must meet at least one criteria:
1) significant work with ethnic minorities or cultural competence is emphasized
2) child/family oriented
3) research-friendly

In the end, I only applied to a few places (would rather go through this in the fall than be somewhere I didn't feel was a decent fit).

One is already crossed off my list (UNC) b/c I haven't heard from them

How many places did you end up applying? I applied to 8. 6 APA, 1 CPA, and 1 non-APA (had an interview yesterday--they are only non-APA b/c they can't afford the costs of it).

At this point I'm waiting to hear from: Duke, Tulane, University of Colorado SOM, Berea, Hamilton Health Sciences, & Miami-Dade County. *sigh*
 
Just had my first Skype interview (and first Phase II interview). The dog did howl (never does this!!!) from the other room about 30 minutes in but I think I had established myself as a semi-competent person by that time, so I was able to say, "I'm sorry, I don't know if you can hear that but I have a dog." 😛

I'm a child psych person and I applied to 2 APPIC member child sites in the Northeast and the White River Junction VAMC. So I don't expect to hear from WRJ ever (they were late to notify me in Phase I 😡 ) and I'm not sure about the other APPIC member site due to the drama about me ranking them (not being allowed to by the faculty at my program) from last year. I'll share site names via PM if anyone is especially interested. Maybe someone could volunteer to organize the interview update list and get PMs about it from people who don't want to publicize where they're getting their interviews?

Last year, the APPIC site that I haven't heard from gave me an interview on the Friday after the deadline (as did an APA accredited adult oriented site), though they wound up not filling all their spots so I wonder if they're redoing their "interviewee selection" procedure to make sure they get enough people this year. :shrug: (Why does this smiley look sad? It's just shrugging.) So I'm really not sure if I'll get an interview from that APPIC member site... Do sites seem to be taking a little longer this year than last, in general? Is anyone else out there in the same boat as me, with this being their 2nd time in Phase II?

I'm also still not sure if I want to match or not, so I think that takes some of the stress off. :laugh:

Good luck, everyone! :luck:
 
Just thought I'd stop in and report that I've heard back from Torrance State Hospital by telephone and received a phone interview for tomorrow am. I also heard back from Travis County Juvenile Probation by phone and email yesterday and have a phone interview on Thursday. I hope this info helps! I'm still waiting to hear back from most of my sites...Good Luck everyone going through phase 2!!!
 
Somewhat tangential...anyone have any thoughts or info on why White River Junction VA has been in Phase II/Clearinghouse for the past few years?
 
Somewhat tangential...anyone have any thoughts or info on why White River Junction VA has been in Phase II/Clearinghouse for the past few years?

Because its in the thriving metropolis of White River Junction, VT??? 😀
 
Just had my first Skype interview (and first Phase II interview). The dog did howl (never does this!!!) from the other room about 30 minutes in but I think I had established myself as a semi-competent person by that time, so I was able to say, "I'm sorry, I don't know if you can hear that but I have a dog." 😛

I'm a child psych person and I applied to 2 APPIC member child sites in the Northeast and the White River Junction VAMC. So I don't expect to hear from WRJ ever (they were late to notify me in Phase I 😡 ) and I'm not sure about the other APPIC member site due to the drama about me ranking them (not being allowed to by the faculty at my program) from last year. I'll share site names via PM if anyone is especially interested. Maybe someone could volunteer to organize the interview update list and get PMs about it from people who don't want to publicize where they're getting their interviews?

Last year, the APPIC site that I haven't heard from gave me an interview on the Friday after the deadline (as did an APA accredited adult oriented site), though they wound up not filling all their spots so I wonder if they're redoing their "interviewee selection" procedure to make sure they get enough people this year. :shrug: (Why does this smiley look sad? It's just shrugging.) So I'm really not sure if I'll get an interview from that APPIC member site... Do sites seem to be taking a little longer this year than last, in general? Is anyone else out there in the same boat as me, with this being their 2nd time in Phase II?

I'm also still not sure if I want to match or not, so I think that takes some of the stress off. :laugh:

Good luck, everyone! :luck:


From the forums last year, most people did not hear back until the middle of the following week from the deadline. I'm interested in knowing where you got an interview. I'm a child psych person as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone waiting on the following sites or have any info?

1) Southeast Human Service Center
2) Midas Project/Clinical Research at Brown University
3) James Madison University
4) Arizona State University
5) Miami VA
6) Ohio Psychology Internship
7) Fulton
8) Saint Elizabeths Hospital
9) Georgia Tech Counseling Center
10) Allendale Association
11) Devereux Foundation
 
Somewhat tangential...anyone have any thoughts or info on why White River Junction VA has been in Phase II/Clearinghouse for the past few years?

Yeah, like erg said, the area is super rural and not close to any cities. It snows a lot most winters. People who apply there, I imagine, are either from nearby areas (like me) or applying to lots of VAs. The stipend is lower than other VA stipends, at least in the region, as the cost of living is lower. They notified me that they weren't interviewing me after their notification deadline (I had to contact them), which was annoying because they interviewed people a month before. So I'd guess that people who they choose to interview and rank have other options and prefer those options for a number of reasons... And the VA doesn't change their interview requirements because they probably get high quality interns anyway, even if it's after Phase I.
 
Anyone waiting on the following sites or have any info?

1) Southeast Human Service Center
2) Midas Project/Clinical Research at Brown University
3) James Madison University
4) Arizona State University
5) Miami VA
6) Ohio Psychology Internship
7) Fulton
8) Saint Elizabeths Hospital
9) Georgia Tech Counseling Center
10) Allendale Association
11) Devereux Foundation

I applied to 3, 4, 7, 8, and 9, and haven't heard from any
 
Somewhat tangential...anyone have any thoughts or info on why White River Junction VA has been in Phase II/Clearinghouse for the past few years?


Yesterday I spent a good deal of procrastinating by reading last year's thread on phase II internship stuff. It seems like there were a lot of places that have been in phase II both years (e.g., Berea, Andrus, Miami-Dade, Duke, Baylor, etc....). I wonder if places don't rank that many people in Phase I, so that they can pick out of applicants from phase II. (My current practicum site has an internship--they lost funding this year--and I know this was their previous practice).
 
Anyone hear from the following

Orlando VA
U of Cali San Fran
Spring Grove
Wright-Patterson Air Force
Baylor
White River Junction-Vermont VA
 
I got an invitation to interview from:

Sheridan VA (Monday)
Lone Star Consortium - Big Spring State Hospital (Monday)
Heart of America - Royal Oaks Hospital (Tuesday)

I was rejected by:

Utah Southern University (Monday)

I hope that helps! Good luck!
 
Anyone waiting on the following sites or have any info?

1) Southeast Human Service Center
2) Midas Project/Clinical Research at Brown University
3) James Madison University
4) Arizona State University
5) Miami VA
6) Ohio Psychology Internship
7) Fulton
8) Saint Elizabeths Hospital
9) Georgia Tech Counseling Center
10) Allendale Association
11) Devereux Foundation

Have interview for #3, #8 asked for a writing sample. That's all I'be heard from so far.
 
So it looks like the following sites have offered interviews:

Sheridan VA
Travis County Juvenille Probation-email & phone
University of Houston
Heart of America-Royal Oaks Hospital
Friends Hospital-phone
Berea's Children's Home-email
Daily Behavioral Health-email
UNC-phone
James Madison University
Rogers Memorial
Lone Star Consortium-Big Spring State Hospital

Rejections

Andrus
Pacific Clinics
Southern Utah University


Also:
Saint Elizabeths requested a writing sample
 
Just checked my Spam folder - and there was the Miami VA rejection waiting for me :ninja:. Received interview invites from Bexar Juvenile Probation (email) and Kentucky DOC (phone).
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
labmate heard that she got an interview today from St. Elizabeths via email and I dont know if it was personalized or not....
 
Please provide an update on the following sites if you have heard anything:

1) Southeast Human Service Center
2) Midas Project/Clinical Research at Brown University
3) Arizona State University
4) Ohio Psychology Internship
5) Fulton
6) Georgia Tech Counseling Center
7) Allendale Association
8) Devereux Foundation
 
labmate heard that she got an interview today from St. Elizabeths via email and I dont know if it was personalized or not....

I dont know that their are that many rural VA's, at least in the sense that they are not near big cities. For example, the Leavenworth, KS VA is like 30 miles from Kansas City. It also doesn't have winters like VT. 😀
 
Last edited:
Please provide an update on the following sites if you have heard anything:

1) Southeast Human Service Center
2) Midas Project/Clinical Research at Brown University
3) Arizona State University
4) Ohio Psychology Internship
5) Fulton
6) Georgia Tech Counseling Center
7) Allendale Association
8) Devereux Foundation

I got a request for a work sample from Ohio Psychology Internship on Sunday, but no word on interview/not.
 
Did anyone apply to, or has anyone heard from The Danielsen Institute?

I think you had to be a BU (or some other program that I wasn't) student to get that internship for Phase II.

My program's faculty approved my petition to rank an APPIC member site this year. Apparently, although my training has not changed/updated since last year, they no longer believe that my training needs would best be met by an APA accredited internship. It is infuriating for me. If they are letting me do it this year, why didn't they let me do it last year? So wrong. 😡
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you had to be a BU (or some other program that I wasn't) student to get that internship for Phase II.

My program's faculty approved my petition to rank an APPIC member site this year. Apparently, although my training has not changed/updated since last year, they no longer believe that my training needs would best be met by an APA accredited internship. It is infuriating for me. If they are letting me do it this year, why didn't they let me do it last year? So wrong. 😡

How did you find that information re: Danielsen? It now makes sense that they referred to it as a "dedicated" internship- but there was never any more specific information...
 
How did you find that information re: Danielsen? It now makes sense that they referred to it as a "dedicated" internship- but there was never any more specific information...

http://www.bu.edu/danielsen/training/predoc/

I applied there in Phase I but didn't get an interview or anything (it was not a good fit for me other than for its location), so I rechecked the website after seeing "Restricted" in the Phase II listing (or wherever, I can't remember) and I saw:

Please Note: Interested applicants should apply to the internship/fellow program, NOT the dedicated internship program. The dedicated internship program is restricted to specific BU programs only.

Sorry. 🙁 Good luck with other sites, though. :luck:
 
Hi,

I apologize if this has already been covered. I did not complete any of my Phase I interviews via Skype. Do you recommend still wearing a suit, or would a pressed/collared shirt and dress slacks be adequate?

Thanks for your input - or for any re-directs to where this info has been discussed already!