2012 COMLEX Level II Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mabinante

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked for a thread like this and didn't find one. I thought we could use this to give each other advice.

Please post your Qbank averages, practice exam scores and your score on the real deal.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys got my comlex I score back. Im a third year. I got a pathetic .

Does Comlex II count just as much as Comlex I ? What residencies am I competitive for? Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey guys got my comlex I score back. Im a third year. I got a pathetic 476.

Does Comlex II count just as much as Comlex I ? What residencies am I competitive for? Thank you!

I would not say a 476 is "pathetic", it's not top notch, but not terrible either. What do you want to do? I would argue that you are competitive for almost any speciality. If you do an audition rotation where you want to match for residency and work your butt off, anything is possible. If they (read as the program director and attendings) like you and want to work with you for the next 3-5 years they will take you regardless of a 476.

Long time lurker here, I was constantly checking this thread in an attempt to predict my COMLEX II score. For those of you out there doing the same, here are my COMSAE and COMLEX II scores:

COMSAE C (2 weeks before COMLEX) 461
COMSAE B (1 week before COMLEX) 545
COMSAE A (2 days from COMLEX) 431, thought about post-poning test, but went ahead anyway

COMLEX II (Sept 5th) 491

Not a great score by SDN standards, but I'll take it. Good luck to all those lurkers out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here take the most recent Step 2? I thought it was definitely challenging, more so than I expected. I passed COMSAE A and B, but I don't know about this one. I hope the rumors are true and 50-60% is the passing score. I am not too worried I failed (although it is possible), but it is definitely not going to be a pretty score. I can post more later. Sorry I don't have much to add.

Has anyone taken the comlex level 2 recently? I taking it Tom...any suggestions on doing a Comsae would benefit? Please help!

Has anyone taken the comlex level 2 recently? I taking it Tom...any suggestions on doing a Comsae would benefit? Please help!

As you can see from the previous experiences, the COMSAE is very poor at predicting a score. If you wanna do it to simulate taking it, go for it. But seeing as how it's the day before you take the COMLEX, take the day off to relax. Do something non-medical.

Hi guys,

Here's my story: I failed step 1 the first time i took it (396), got 500 when I retook a month later (and a 220 on the USMLE). This whole COMLEX deal has to do with qbanks, I'm convinced of that. Sure, you have to know the material, but the questions are so strangely worded that if you could fail if you weren't familiar with how the questions are worded. I approached step 1 the first time just by just reading books and thinking it was a test of knowledge, but now I approach the steps as arbitrary testing with no real world relavance. Thanks for ruining my innocence, NBOME! :)

So, I used boards boot camp, the $500 independent study program to study for step 2. For those people like me who need a schedule to keep to, boards boot camp was great. It's not too expensive and you are left with books that are good for step 3. I used that and combank, started studying about 4 months out, got very serious 2 months in. The program had me estimated in the high 400s. I ended up getting a 510 which I am happy about. I did take USMLE step 1 (in order to offset my step 1 failure), but I did not take step 2 ck

I agree with the assessment that it's obgyn, peds, omm, GI, and pulm in descending order with non-insignificant amounts of epi and biostats. Many one line questions. I really hope osteopathic medicine can do better in future generations because these tests are horrible.

Good luck to all!

Has anyone recently taken the exam? Is boards n wards good to study and should I try usmle world? :confused: