2012 COMLEX Level II Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mabinante

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked for a thread like this and didn't find one. I thought we could use this to give each other advice.

Please post your Qbank averages, practice exam scores and your score on the real deal.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of many people that pass a comsae and then fail level 2?

I know a good bit of people that passed comsae for level 1 and failed, but was hoping it wasn't as bad for level 2

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know of many people that pass a comsae and then fail level 2?

I know a good bit of people that passed comsae for level 1 and failed, but was hoping it wasn't as bad for level 2

probably depends on your comsae score. I've heard stories about comsae drastically overestimating and underestimating. Wish I knew too.

probably depends on your comsae score. I've heard stories about comsae drastically overestimating and underestimating. Wish I knew too.

I know its not apples to apples, but I did roughly in the same percentile range on the UWORLD self assessment as I did on both USMLE and COMLEX. It has been the most accurate so far that I have tried. It was within a few percentiles for step 1 as well. I took some COMSAEs last year and they weren't even in the ballpark.

I can't get on, was trying to figure out driving directions to step 2 PE and such so I could make travel arrangements. Now, watch, the site will be down for a week so score release will be delayed even more.

I can't get on either. I have my PE Wed and was going to read up on everything. Here's hoping I can do that sometime soon...

supposedly someone from LECOM got an 817 this year. I'm not joking, I'm not sure how this is possible but this is coming from reliable sources.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are up! Better than step 1 but not quite as good as comsae b. Happy just to pass!

Ehhh went down a bit, but doesn't bloody matter.

Step 1- 732
Step 2- 688

Edited to add that I did Kaplan videos, step up to step 2, Saverese, and UW x1 (70ish% overall) as my main sources.

Last edited:
625 (down from 661) - it's possible to pass (and do well) without putting in much effort. i took no more than 30 mins per section and guessed on all omm questions. so if you're going for acgme and don't care about comlex then usmle world should be MORE than sufficient to pass by a large margin.

disclosure: my school does nbme exams, and we aren't required to do any omm rotations our third year.

Comlex level 1- 620's
comlex level 2- 650's
uworld x1- 68%
FA for step 2 ck x 1
Master the boards step 2 x 1
only had time for OMT + ethics questions in Comquest but they seemed indicative of the actual exam questions.

I passed!!!!! holy crap I am so relieved. got a 447, but I don't care. lol. :D

I barely passed with a 440 too!!! I have a really hard time believing someone who averages in the 60s in uworld and 70s in comquest to do this badly. But hey, i should of recognized how random this exam is.

Somehow got a 560, didnt expect to do well.
I feel comquest was key, and i dont even think i made it through once. One more awful comlex to go! Overall it is a crapshoot, good luck to all!

COMSAE A = 482 1 week before test
COMSAE B = 548 2 weeks before test

Last edited:
Took my retake 8/8 (I was part of the 6/27 fiasco) and was not hopeful for a high score since I didn't study a lot in August. I was on an audition rotation with long hours.

UW average: 72%
COMQUEST average: 75%
COMSAE A: 632

COMLEX Level 1: 652
COMLEX Level 2 CE: 646
USMLE Step 2 CK: 246

Overall I am very pleased with my results. With everyone's scores fluctuating by tens of points it seems, I figured I'd drop a lot. Maybe not studying hard for it is the key. Glad that mess is over. Now to finish out my last two weeks in Hawaii on an audition.

which COMSAE did you take? my COMSAE's were all over the place from 430 -550

If it helps you, I took A before studying got a 385. Took B one day before test got a 457 (after two weeks of studying-all the time I really had). Ended up with 440. Not great obviously, but I'll take it.

Took COMSAE A with going over COMBANK and MTB X1---299

Then 2 weeks studying...did COMQUEST and COMBANK..
Took COMSAE B---545..ya ok...lol
Did green book....

so I did..COMBANK and COMQUEST Twice in Total...

Real COMLEX II CE---482..im happy!!

Does Dr. Conrad Fisher have videos for step 2? I cant find them. Also I just finished my step 1, im so lost as to how to sstudy for step 2. Can anyone advise please? I want to stick with few resources as possible.

Just took the comlex 2. feels like hell. too much distraction and noise. heard people coming in and out, was placed to sit right by the door. other test-takers were typing away (some other test than comlex).. was told to eat out the waiting area. This is the same test center I've been to before, but I guess much has changed with their rules. It threw me off.

heavy on urology, omm, preventive, and altered mental states, and peds. I don't know. I don't feel like I passed but Im hoping I did. There was a new feature with highlight/strikeout, annoying, but still helpful so I used it. I was running out of time. wasted two hours on the first block that now I am not sure if I even did the 4rth block before lunch break. Questions were extremely long. 60% I had to guess after narrowing my choices to 2-3. 20% were WTF and the other 20% were reasonable and anyone can get it with a full minute.

I used uworld first (finished 85% of questions with average 55), then all of comquest (questions were too short in my opinion and probably why the real test seemed hard for me, averaged low 70s). I was confident to take the real test, but then I decided to take the Comsae A. Got 430. I crapped in my pants and rescheduled my exam for the following month because I thought it meant my score can go lower by 30 or stay there.

Didn't have much time to study because of rotations till 7pm daily...
did 500qs from combank (mainly omm and ethics that's all I had time for, average exactly the passing line 64) and read a little from master the boards. I thought I pushed it long enough. I'm not a good test taker.

Comlex 1 failed on first attemp, passed on second 440.
Hoping I passed this one today. I marked a lot of questions.

Does anyone know about how many questions should you be getting right per block to have a passing score? Thanks. :'(

Just took the comlex 2. feels like hell. too much distraction and noise. heard people coming in and out, was placed to sit right by the door. other test-takers were typing away (some other test than comlex).. was told to eat out the waiting area. This is the same test center I've been to before, but I guess much has changed with their rules. It threw me off.

heavy on urology, omm, preventive, and altered mental states, and peds. I don't know. I don't feel like I passed but Im hoping I did. There was a new feature with highlight/strikeout, annoying, but still helpful so I used it. I was running out of time. wasted two hours on the first block that now I am not sure if I even did the 4rth block before lunch break. Questions were extremely long. 60% I had to guess after narrowing my choices to 2-3. 20% were WTF and the other 20% were reasonable and anyone can get it with a full minute.

I used uworld first (finished 85% of questions with average 55), then all of comquest (questions were too short in my opinion and probably why the real test seemed hard for me, averaged low 70s). I was confident to take the real test, but then I decided to take the Comsae A. Got 430. I crapped in my pants and rescheduled my exam for the following month because I thought it meant my score can go lower by 30 or stay there.

Didn't have much time to study because of rotations till 7pm daily...
did 500qs from combank (mainly omm and ethics that's all I had time for, average exactly the passing line 64) and read a little from master the boards. I thought I pushed it long enough. I'm not a good test taker.

Comlex 1 failed on first attemp, passed on second 440.
Hoping I passed this one today. I marked a lot of questions.

Does anyone know about how many questions should you be getting right per block to have a passing score? Thanks. :'(

Aren't you given a vacation month during fourth year? Why didn't you use it to really study for the test. Why risk it.

Since the last set were released up til Aug 18th last week that it will be at least another two weeks :(

People who have requested to have their comlex 2 scores rechecked, heard anything back? I'm want to have my scores rechecked but I'm afraid they would fail me.

Took COMSAE B 1.5 weeks prior, got a 435. Combank 62% with 1800 questions done on random and throughout 3rd year, but last week of doing blocks of 50 averaged 60-75%. UWorld completed throughout 3rd year averaged 53%. Actual score on Comlex II was 505.

Does anyone know when the next score release cycle would be? If anyone called NBOME, any information would be appreciated.

Hey Guys! I am c/o 2014. I have not taken USMLE Step 1, only COMLEX Step 1.

I am planning to take USMLE Step 2. Can I apply to MD residencies with USMLE STep 2 instead of taking USMLE Step 1???

Thanks for any help!

Hey Guys! I am c/o 2014. I have not taken USMLE Step 1, only COMLEX Step 1.

I am planning to take USMLE Step 2. Can I apply to MD residencies with USMLE STep 2 instead of taking USMLE Step 1???

Thanks for any help!

As far as I understand it, Step 1 is the true comparison. If you took Step 1 and didn't do as well, you could take Step 2 to redeem yourself. But Step 2 by itself seems pointless.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I understand it, Step 1 is the true comparison. If you took Step 1 and didn't do as well, you could take Step 2 to redeem yourself. But Step 2 by itself seems pointless.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Step 2 is a good idea to take, and probably not pointless to take by itself. A step 1 score is strongly encouraged though. I have gotten great feedback for taking it and doing well. Its another chance to shine and show how you compare to allopathic students. In fact, in my last meeting with a PD, my scores were pulled up and they commented that they were glad I took them both. Didn't even pull up my comlex scores b/c they wouldn't know a 400 from a 700.

If you want a competitive residency, I say absolutely take it. It can only help you (granted you do well). It can help redeem a mediocre step 1 score for sure. Can it replace a step 1 score if you didn't take it? Probably PD dependent.

PS, it doesn't suck nearly as bad as step 1. You can rock it if you put in a little extra effort. Read the Step 2 thread for study tips.

PE score release just happened. I took it 8/2/12 and got mine just now. FYI!