2013-2014 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A poster sent in the following info about Georgia Tech: "They just sent an email stating that my application is under review by the committee - and that in mid-December they'd be inviting applicants for Skype interviews in January."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
fyi, these have been mentioned in various ways previously but in case not in these orientations:

interviews from utah state hospital-neuro
rejections from nebraska internship consortium QLI site and lancaster general hospital

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection from Cincinnati VA via mass email. At least now I can stop trying to spell Cincinnati ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Ditto. They were less research-oriented than the other ones I applied to, so maybe they thought I wouldn't be a good fit.

Although my sympathetic nervous system still kicked in pretty strong when I saw the email in my inbox. Still recovering from that. ;)

Ditto. They were less research-oriented than the other ones I applied to, so maybe they thought I wouldn't be a good fit.

Yeah, same circumstance for me. Although I did think they were relatively research-oriented, so it's sort of a surprise (given that I've gotten invites to several research oriented sites so far). Saves me eight hours of driving.

Actually, to tell the truth, the main reason I'm a little disappointed with not getting an interview to Cincinnati is because I was hoping to do their interview first as a practice run. Now my #1 will have to be the first interview... (Not that I'm complaining--it's a good problem to have.)

I have a feeling that we'll be hearing a lot this week. Anyone else get that feeling?

Reactions: 2 users
I have a feeling that we'll be hearing a lot this week. Anyone else get that feeling?

Yeah, given that it's a late Thanksgiving, I suspect there will be a surge of sites pushing to get invites out before the end of the day Wednesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Arya: Yes, actually. It seems that a lot of activity went down during the week of the 27th last year, and even though Thanksgiving is later I don't know if that will change the general timeframe since sites want to give enough notice for booking travel arrangements.

Yeah, given that it's a late Thanksgiving, I suspect there will be a surge of sites pushing to get invites out before the end of the day Wednesday.
My thoughts exactly :)

Rejection from Cincinnati VA via mass email. At least now I can stop trying to spell Cincinnati ;)

I didn't apply there, but it was on my potential list, so every time I see someone mention it, I get a little spike of adrenaline before I remember that it's actually not relevant to me! This is all so ridiculous.

I didn't apply there, but it was on my potential list, so every time I see someone mention it, I get a little spike of adrenaline before I remember that it's actually not relevant to me! This is all so ridiculous.
Actually, that has happened to me so many times this cycle! Yuck!

Actually, that has happened to me so many times this cycle! Yuck!

I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one, heh. Yuck, indeed! I also keep having moments of, "why couldn't I have applied to the VAs that have already notified people, instead of all the rest of them?" :)

Interview for Cincinnati VA General Clinical Track via mass email on 11/24. Interview dates: 12/11, 12/16, 1/7, 1/15, 1/23

haha CBTFTW, I feel the same way!

I'm also hoping that things pick up a bit before the holiday. I'm glad to have heard one positive notification so far, but have not heard a peep otherwise! I was thinking that we wouldn't hear much from Friday-Sunday next week either, but the Sunday notifications today have me rethinking that...

I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one, heh. Yuck, indeed! I also keep having moments of, "why couldn't I have applied to the VAs that have already notified people, instead of all the rest of them?" :)

Yeah, I almost applied to UIC and when I saw they notified on this thread I was like "Darnit, that could have been me!" This process really induces some cognitive errors, doesn't it?

.... are we the same person? I do this, too.

.... are we the same person? I do this, too.

LOL. Well, I also watch Game of Thrones, but if I were naming myself after a fictional character, I'd choose Eowyn. I've been a Lord of the Rings freak since childhood. :)

I just wanted to update everyone on some insider information in case it wasn't available to you! I received an email notification from Penn State CC indicating that they would have their meeting deciding who to offer interviews to on Dec 11th and then would send invites on Dec 13th.

Additionally, I know that SUNY Buffalo CC is having a meeting Dec 12th and therefore won't be sending out invites until after that date.

Hang in there everyone! I still haven't heard anything one way or the other (although I suspect I will be receiving a rejection from James Madison CC relatively soon since they have already invited the people they want for interviews and I wasn't one of them!). I'm just sending out positive vibes and hoping for the best!

Reactions: 1 users
LOL. Well, I also watch Game of Thrones, but if I were naming myself after a fictional character, I'd choose Eowyn. I've been a Lord of the Rings freak since childhood. :)

Me too :laugh: Actually, I was a Joan of Arc fan first, but then Eowyn took over. And yes, I can spell it - it's just that someone else already had the properly spelled name!

Ahh! I originally made the name because of the books, but I also like the show. LOTR= my other favorite. I think that would have been a contender :)

Cincinnati VA - Neuropsychology Track - mass email received Sunday 11/24. Potential dates:

Wednesday December 11, 2013 from 12:00-4:30 pm
Monday December 16, 2013 from 12:00-4:30 pm
Tuesday January 7, 2014 from 12:00-4:30 pm
Wednesday January 15, 2014 from 12:00-4:30 pm
Thursday January 23, 2014 from 12:00-4:30 pm

I thought this would be a stretch for me. I'm very excited!

You are more hopeful than I am. I'm usually *such* an optimist, but this process is beating it out of me. Instead of hoping for news, I have convinced myself all sites that *might* have notified this week in past years will instead wait for next week so everything is really jammed into those two weeks, just as final papers are coming due....

I am just hoping I hear some great news this week…..I still have not heard from all 17 of my sites!!!!!! Yes, all are university counseling centers but I hope that some would send out notifications this week before Thanksgiving. The wait is such a torture for me!

I just wanted to update everyone on some insider information in case it wasn't available to you! I received an email notification from Penn State CC indicating that they would have their meeting deciding who to offer interviews to on Dec 11th and then would send invites on Dec 13th.

Additionally, I know that SUNY Buffalo CC is having a meeting Dec 12th and therefore won't be sending out invites until after that date.

Hang in there everyone! I still haven't heard anything one way or the other (although I suspect I will be receiving a rejection from James Madison CC relatively soon since they have already invited the people they want for interviews and I wasn't one of them!). I'm just sending out positive vibes and hoping for the best!

I did not apply to Penn State but I did apply to SUNY Buffalo. Thanks for the info!

I am just hoping I hear some great news this week…..I still have not heard from all 17 of my sites!!!!!! Yes, all are university counseling centers but I hope that some would send out notifications this week before Thanksgiving. The wait is such a torture for me!

We are in the same boat! Last year I didn't hear from anyone until after Thanksgiving, but I was hoping to get news earlier this year because Thanksgiving is so late. Fingers crossed! 2 of my sites have sent out interview invites but not rejections, so here's hoping they are doing rolling invitations. Good luck!

I know I should not complain, because I've had some positive news already, but the waiting is what kills me. Here's to amazing news for all of us SOON!

nothing over the weekend fer me. rah rah great upcoming week fer all us sdners!

Reactions: 5 users
Personalized e-mail invite from Dartmouth (neuropsych track) received today... pleasant surprise on a weekend! Only offered 1/15 as interview date, not sure if they have others

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck to all of us this week!

VAMHCS/UMB (Baltimore VA) email invitation for an interview with the Trauma Recovery Track received this morning (11/25). The email was not personalized. Interview dates are January 16 and January 23.

Feeling excited!

Reactions: 1 users
VAMHCS/UMB (Baltimore VA) email invitation for Neuropsych Track received Monday morning (11/25). It was not personalized.

Interview dates for neuro:
Jan 9
Jan 16
Jan 23

VAMHCS/UMB generic e-mail invitation for interview (VA SMI track & Community Psychiatry track); 1/2 and 1/9 interview dates.

Manhattan VA. Generalized Email Notification. Monday December 16th Interview date (no selection of dates given).

Just received an interview for Rush University child/adolescent track! Invite was sent through email and was not personalized. Attachment in email indicated January 3, 9, 10, 16, and 17 as interview dates.

Rejection from Rush University (child track), non-personalized mass email (11/25)

Anyone get a VAMHCS/UMB invitation for the health psychology track?

I almost feel like we should be taking bets to see when we will hear from South Texas VA, after Friday all weekend long I thought we would hear something today!

I am trying to prepare for interviews/grade student papers, and I just cannot focus. This is perhaps compounded by the fact that I keep receiving email invitations to "The Pain of Rejection" webinar from a stranger. Not only does my email ding trigger my startle response, but reading the title makes it just a little worse, haha!

Yeah, I have some mock interviews today and I feel a bit silly preparing for interviews when I only have one so far. Like I'm jumping the gun or something ;)

I am trying to prepare for interviews/grade student papers, and I just cannot focus. This is perhaps compounded by the fact that I keep receiving email invitations to "The Pain of Rejection" webinar from a stranger. Not only does my email ding trigger my startle response, but reading the title makes it just a little worse, haha!

Hah, that sounds like the worst combination! I'm also super on edge and having trouble with the whole brain power thing. A few of my sites (South Texas VA, I'm looking at you!) have early-ish December interview dates, so they really should be notifying us soon!

My department/faculty are doing mock interviews the week of the 9th. I hope to have some interview invites by then…...