2013-2014 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Updated! Congrats and condolences accordingly. Also, I added a UIC (adult) invite I missed yesterday (Congrats, Ollie!). If you ever notice that I miss anything in an update, please shoot me a PM. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm leaving the country for a week for thanksgiving. What happens if a site calls and I don't/cant answer the call? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm leaving the country for a week for thanksgiving. What happens if a site calls and I don't/cant answer the call? Any suggestions?

Do you have an auto reply feature on your email? I know gmail does. Also change your voice mail as if you were "out of the office" at a job.

Do you have an auto reply feature on your email? I know gmail does. Also change your voice mail as if you were "out of the office" at a job.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. If you'll still have access to a computer while out of the country, you could even indicate in the voicemail that you can be reached via email if needed.

Personalized email rejection from Spring Grove Hospital this AM. Boooo! :)

A colleague at my program is also going to be away, and she is doing the things recommended above but also using Skype to check her voicemail once a day (since she won't have reasonable phone rates where she is) in case anyone leaves a message she feels she needs to respond to ASAP.

Interview invite via mass email to Duke University SOM, CBT track. Interview date: 1/17.

Congrats, PsychappA! Makes another rejection for me, really wish I'd hear something positive to balance all of this out.

Yes, auto-reply email & voicemail saying you will be out of country (nice! happy holidays!) & calls will be promptly returned on xx/xx/xx.

...And if you're an intern site, you're my #1. <3 Leave a message. Ha!

Last edited:
Congrats, PsychappA! Makes another rejection for me, really wish I'd hear something positive to balance all of this out.
Thanks, it's my first interview, so I am excited. But so sorry that makes a rejection for you. This is such an awful process; I've been going crazy waiting. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to hear something positive soon!

I am still waiting on ALL my sites! I hope I hear something today.....

Members don't see this ad :)

Cara, did they send a formal rejection email? Or just didn't get the invite email? (I applied to a different track at Duke SOM, and I haven't heard anything yet).

No formal rejection but I applied to the CBT track.

Thanks for the sympathy everyone! I do have one interview so maybe I shouldn't complain. :)

Mass email from Arkansas State Hospital on 11/22. Asked to respond with top two preferences for the following dates: Dec. 13, Dec. 20, Jan. 3., Jan. 10, or Jan. 17

I haven't heard from Duke SOM either (CBT track). If acceptance was generic and mass email, though, I'm guessing that's that.

(meant to continue that thought..) But, hang in there, cara susanna--it's still so early in the process. It is still so hard though! I know!

Thanks! I just hate waiting to hear back and also this "maybe I'm rejected but I'm not really sure yet" ambiguity. Time to practice distress tolerance and mindfulness skills ;)

Thanks! I just hate waiting to hear back and also this "maybe I'm rejected but I'm not really sure yet" ambiguity. Time to practice distress tolerance and mindfulness skills ;)
ughhhhhhhh Cara and CBTgirl i need to comisserate with you, duke cbt track was one of my top choices, and i didnt get the email either :( im so sad right now.

ughhhhhhhh Cara and CBTgirl i need to comisserate with you, duke cbt track was one of my top choices, and i didnt get the email either :( im so sad right now.
Oh no! I feel like I've caused so much disappointment! I know it's not from me, but I still feel bad. :shrug:

Same here. But, I'm sort of glad to be prepared so that I won't get excited when the email comes.

So sorry to hear, jennigold and CBTgirl. :( I'm really disappointed but Duke wasn't my top choice. I can only imagine how devastated you are.

PsychappA: The process is brutal but we all face it, for every interview we get other people get rejections (and vice-versa). I know it feels bad for the others, but you got an interview! And it's your first one, you have every right to feel happy and celebrate :)

Edited to respond to CBTgirl's latest comment: Yeah, it sucks hearing about it this way but at least you're ready for the email. That's how I felt about my first official rejection, I found out about it on here so when I got the email a day later it was just like "Oh, okay."

Has anyone heard from South Texas VA? Their profile on APPIC said they would send invitations today, but haven't seen any SDN postings.

I don't
I applied there as well, no word yet!
mean to sounds awful, but phew! Did you see that on their profile too? I checked their brochure, and it said by 12/1. The discrepant information is leading me to obsessively check my email haha

I don't

mean to sounds awful, but phew! Did you see that on their profile too? I checked their brochure, and it said by 12/1. The discrepant information is leading me to obsessively check my email haha

I applied there too and was using the profile date to inform my expectations for notifications. No word here either, so my guess is the 12/1 deadline is the right one. I've been having reactions to emails and phone calls all day because of it.

Reactions: 1 users
:shy: Nope. Nothing from S Tx Va yet. I applied to the gero and neuro tracks. I am really excited about this program!

I don't

At this point I am constantly checking my e-mail. If I have a computer in front of me I keep a constant eye on my email tab and stop everything I'm doing when I see a new email come through. I did see their APPIC site said 11/22 and the website says 12/1. I'm crossing my fingers for 11/22 as I haven't heard a peep from any of my sites

Has anyone heard from South Texas VA? Their profile on APPIC said they would send invitations today, but haven't seen any SDN postings.
I haven't heard anything yet either! I'm glad we can all anxiously wait together! Good luck everyone I hope we hear something soon!!!

Wow I'm glad I asked. Sounds like we were all worried about South Texas. Love their site, so I'm hoping for good news!

I guess it doesn't help my anxiety that I get an e-mail every time someone posts here. First I have the "oh my god its a site emailing me!" anxiety, then once I see that its an e-mail for a new posting from here I think "oh my god one of my sites started to respond!"

Hi all! First time poster. I just heard from Kings County (C & A Track), so interviews are still rolling in from them. Dates offered: Jan 3 & 7.

i know that applicants historically have received notice on the weekend, but it seems like more of an outlier than the norm... i dont know about you guys, but i feel like im able to relax a tiny little bit on the weekends... this week of waiting was so tense! in def need of even the smallest bit of relief. i have a feeling early next week is gonna be packed with action - can't quite put my finger on why... maybe its just wishful thinking haha.

have a great weekend all! please follow the advice of a wise wise soul - any time you catch yourself thinking about internship while not directly working on anything related to it, do 3 items on your self-care list.

(i have yet to make this list for myself, but isn't it a great idea??)

A colleague of mine received an interview invite yesterday (Nov 21) from MUSC Charleston Consortium for the behavioral medicine track via personalized email. Apparently their website explicitly states that they are offering interviews on a rolling basis, though, so no on panic if they haven't heard yet!

I seem to recall that Duke SOM is known for sending out all invites fairly early, but waiting until the 11th hour to send out rejections. Not to say that that's the case this year, but that's my vague memory from years past.

ETA: And I can echo what others have said about MUSC having rolling invites, and that you're not necessarily out of the running if you haven't heard from them yet. I believe they've continued to send out invites even through the beginning of December in years past.

Last edited:
A colleague of mine received an interview invite yesterday (Nov 21) from MUSC Charleston Consortium for the behavioral medicine track via personalized email. Apparently their website explicitly states that they are offering interviews on a rolling basis, though, so no on panic if they haven't heard yet!
Thanks for that info! I'm still waiting to hear from them. Looks like there may be some hope :)

"Dear applicant" rejection from Lancaster General... with "internship interview" as the subject line. Really? :cautious::wacky:

"Dear applicant" rejection from Lancaster General... with "internship interview" as the subject line. Really? :cautious::wacky:

That stinks! But perhaps in the category of, "Is this a place I'd really want to be anyway?" Sort of similar to when another site sent a mass rejection email visibly cc:ing everyone else. "Privacy practices, anyone?"

So, everyone, in the spirit of CBT, what are the most helpful things you tell yourself when you get a rejection from an internship site?

That stinks! But perhaps in the category of, "Is this a place I'd really want to be anyway?" Sort of similar to when another site sent a mass rejection email visibly cc:ing everyone else. "Privacy practices, anyone?"

So, everyone, in the spirit of CBT, what are the most helpful things you tell yourself when you get a rejection from an internship site?

Wow lol that's pretty bad... Yeah no biggie. I'm applying for the third time so sadly I'm becoming numb to this and find sarcasm very therapeutic :) he he..

Invited to Arkansas State Hospital.
Mass rejection email from FCI Tallahassee (BOP site).
Strikes and gutters.

Wow lol that's pretty bad... Yeah no biggie. I'm applying for the third time so sadly I'm becoming numb to this and find sarcasm very therapeutic :) he he..

Good luck this time around!:thumbup:

Personalized invite from Munroe Meyer Institute (NICPP) via email today (11/22), Behavioral Peds/Integrated Care and CASD tracks. Interview on 1/10.

Last edited:
Anyone apply to Durham VA? Usually send out invites during this week. Curious if they had gone out yet.

Non personal rejection email from Arkansas state hospital. It's hard to start off with a rejection but I guess at least I've heard from a site finally

Just got a personal email stating that my app to the UCC at the University of Oregon passed the initial screening. Obviously not an interview but the email suggests that some people may have been cut at this point. So...FYI.

Yay, I finally heard something! I got an interview at Utah State University counseling center via email. Only phone interviews being offered from Dec. 4th - Dec. 12th.

Last edited: