2013-2014 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm also very sorry. I went through something similar around the time I was applying to graduate school. Please take care of yourself and your family... That's by far the most important thing right now!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My mind has been otherwise occupied. My father had a stroke on the 3rd and passed away the other day. I was just glad that I was done with interviews and could be with my family. The funeral is Wednesday and then by the time I blink it will be Match Day. This is not the way I was planning on passing this time...

So sorry to read this. My condolences to you and your family. Hang in there!

Thank you all. I didn't want to say anything and bring everyone down and yet we are talking of families and their reactions to the match process. My dad was awesome and incredibly supportive of me. He was looking forward to coming to my graduation also. I think that the match process is scary because where we intern at can affect our whole lives and the career we hope to have. I am glad to be going through this with all of you and I wish us all a great match.
So sorry to hear that. Come match day, I'm sure you'll make him proud. *hug*

Members don't see this ad :)
LightBulb, may peace be with you and your Dad. So sad to hear your news. Sending you a big, tight psychic hug. Take care of yourself, and best wishes to your family during this difficult time.
Thank you all. I didn't want to say anything and bring everyone down and yet we are talking of families and their reactions to the match process. My dad was awesome and incredibly supportive of me. He was looking forward to coming to my graduation also. I think that the match process is scary because where we intern at can affect our whole lives and the career we hope to have. I am glad to be going through this with all of you and I wish us all a great match.

I am going to echo what everyone else have said. Sorry for your loss and please take care of yourself. Very stressful time and an event like this does not help. Make sure you are engaging in self-care and things that you need to get through this process.

My mind has been otherwise occupied. My father had a stroke on the 3rd and passed away the other day. I was just glad that I was done with interviews and could be with my family. The funeral is Wednesday and then by the time I blink it will be Match Day. This is not the way I was planning on passing this time...

I'm so sorry to hear this, Lightbulb. Wishing you and your family peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry! I know the feeling too well. It always helps me to think that my loved ones can't be as stressed as me and the rest of my family because they've moved on and are rooting for us!

So I keep going back and forth between "I have to match at my top site, it's a perfect fit, and it's in my home town, and that's where my future is" to "there's no guarantee that I'll match, and if i do I might have to suck it up for another year…. and then hope to get back to my hometown. While I keep trying not to get my hopes up… I'm finding this difficult and also find myself catastrophizing… wth

Reactions: 4 users
Wow, so sorry to hear. You and your family are in my thoughts.

So I keep going back and forth between "I have to match at my top site, it's a perfect fit, and it's in my home town, and that's where my future is" to "there's no guarantee that I'll match, and if i do I might have to suck it up for another year…. and then hope to get back to my hometown. While I keep trying not to get my hopes up… I'm finding this difficult and also find myself catastrophizing… wth

Similar oscillation here. Maintaining sanity by working out A LOT! Just started Bikram Yoga and happily realized that it's pretty difficult to worry about the match when trying not to fall over and feeling like you're going to die of heatstroke...

Definitely the season for Radical Acceptance (as taught in ACT and DBT)..and helps us understand why clients struggle with it too...

Reactions: 2 users
Similar oscillation here. Maintaining sanity by working out A LOT! Just started Bikram Yoga and happily realized that it's pretty difficult to worry about the match when trying not to fall over and feeling like you're going to die of heatstroke...

+1 with the workouts. I went from going to he gym 3-4 times/wk to 7. It helps me zone out.

Reactions: 1 users
That's interesting. I've been working out more often as well but never stopped to think about why.
That reminds me of when I was in the locker room showering and had to go to the bathroom. Naturally I just relieved myself in the shower but this guy noticed and called me a shower urinator.

What's the big deal?! IT'S ALL PIPES!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
LightBulb...since you don't have private messages enabled, I wanted to send along my thoughts for you and your family at this time. My mom was admitted to hospice while I was on the interview trail, and though we are in different situations, I know what it's like to have your feet planted in two different stressful arenas at the same time. Hang in there.

That's interesting. I've been working out more often as well but never stopped to think about why.
That reminds me of when I was in the locker room showering and had to go to the bathroom. Naturally I just relieved myself in the shower but this guy noticed and called me a shower urinator.

What's the big deal?! IT'S ALL PIPES!!!!

Seriously, how did all the other years of intern applicants do this without a Seinfeld character?

Reactions: 4 users

Ugh, I am so sorry to hear this. Here we are, stressing over internship, when you are grieving the loss of one of the most important people in your life. Like others have said, focus on what matters during this time - your family, and your own mental health. All the other pieces will fall into place in good time. Again, my deepest sympathies to you and your family.

We're down to single digits! :)

Why does it still seem so far away?! I have been so focused on matching vs. not matching and I can't even think about where I might end up until I get that email next Friday. There is a very good chance I will be relocating if I match – 80% to be specific. For example, I know people who have looked up apartments in cities that they ranked highly. I just can not even go there until I get that email next Friday, for fear that I will jinx it maybe? IDK. What about the rest of you? What are the chances that you will end up relocating? Have you researched any cities that you might end up in (beyond whatever research you did while interviewing at the site)?

PS I'm 100% relocating. The closest place I interviewed is at least a 2-hour plane ride away.

Why does it still seem so far away?! I have been so focused on matching vs. not matching and I can't even think about where I might end up until I get that email next Friday. There is a very good chance I will be relocating if I match – 80% to be specific. For example, I know people who have looked up apartments in cities that they ranked highly. I just can not even go there until I get that email next Friday, for fear that I will jinx it maybe? IDK. What about the rest of you? What are the chances that you will end up relocating? Have you researched any cities that you might end up in (beyond whatever research you did while interviewing at the site)?
I am 100% relocating and have definitely been researching some of the areas I might be moving to. Some of the sites I ranked start their internship year in June which is really only 3 months away from Match Day! Between finishing coursework and dissertation that will be a pretty short amount of time to pack up and move, at least for me! I am being excited about this process until there is a reason not to be and for me worrying about not matching is worse and won't change the outcome. I guess I figure if I don't match then I will worry about it but until then I'm pushing it out of my mind (or at least trying too!)

Assuming I match in Phase I (please, please powers that be!), I will be relocating. All sites are an approx 2 hr direct flight from home, and I plan to fly home every weekend to see my young children. I applied to every nearby APA accredited position that was a decent fit, but I live in a very competitive area and none of those worked out. I feel terrible about taking off for a year, but fortunately my husband has a flexible job and is very supportive. I think my kids will be ok as long as we have a regular routine - we all work during the week and spend the weekends together. My husband and I long-distanced for the first two years of our relationship, and it actually worked out well because we were so busy with school/work and could really enjoy our time together when we had it. I did research locations before applying and before ranking, but I'm not doing much more research at this point, as it is out of my hands. I am lucky that I liked all the locations where I interviewed. I prefer to be accepting of wherever I match and then focus on the perks of that location later. If I go to Phase II, I anticipate painful choices about geography, as I really don't want to be away from my kids for more than a week at a time.

I am 100% relocating and have definitely been researching some of the areas I might be moving to. Some of the sites I ranked start their internship year in June which is really only 3 months away from Match Day! Between finishing coursework and dissertation that will be a pretty short amount of time to pack up and move, at least for me! I am being excited about this process until there is a reason not to be and for me worrying about not matching is worse and won't change the outcome. I guess I figure if I don't match then I will worry about it but until then I'm pushing it out of my mind (or at least trying too!)

That's a great attitude, being excited about the process until there is a reason not to be – I'm going to try that! And some of these sites start in June? Wow, that is early, makes sense why you would need to start doing some research now. All of my potential sites don't start until August or September I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming I match in Phase I (please, please powers that be!), I will be relocating. All sites are an approx 2 hr direct flight from home, and I plan to fly home every weekend to see my young children. I applied to every nearby APA accredited position that was a decent fit, but I live in a very competitive area and none of those worked out. I feel terrible about taking off for a year, but fortunately my husband has a flexible job and is very supportive. I think my kids will be ok as long as we have a regular routine - we all work during the week and spend the weekends together. My husband and I long-distanced for the first two years of our relationship, and it actually worked out well because we were so busy with school/work and could really enjoy our time together when we had it. I did research locations before applying and before ranking, but I'm not doing much more research at this point, as it is out of my hands. I am lucky that I liked all the locations where I interviewed. I prefer to be accepting of wherever I match and then focus on the perks of that location later. If I go to Phase II, I anticipate painful choices about geography, as I really don't want to be away from my kids for more than a week at a time.

I have so much respect and sympathy. I am definitely not relocating if I match in Phase I - specifically because I have young kids and a husband with an entirely *inflexible* work situation at the moment. I can't imagine the tough choices you've had to make.

I'm sorry you will have to relocate away from your family, I really feel for you. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to make sure you get a great internship but will also be able to see your family on the weekends. Living in a competitive area for internships really does make things difficult. Best of luck to you! :)

I did long distance for four years in grad school and 4 out of my 7 interviews are not local, so I am really really really hoping to match locally.

If I match, I'll be relocating. Leaving husband and kids for a year. Scary and exciting at the same time. And so far I've been trying the head in the sand thing - if I ignore the match then it will go away until it's here and I'll have to deal with it. Which worked well until yesterday and I realized that Match Day is next Friday. Not exactly the best plan - LOL. I am starting to get antsy. I am trying to focus that energy into dissertation work but it is hit or miss. The next 8 days ought to be a hoot.

If I match, I'll be relocating. Leaving husband and kids for a year. Scary and exciting at the same time. And so far I've been trying the head in the sand thing - if I ignore the match then it will go away until it's here and I'll have to deal with it. Which worked well until yesterday and I realized that Match Day is next Friday. Not exactly the best plan - LOL. I am starting to get antsy. I am trying to focus that energy into dissertation work but it is hit or miss. The next 8 days ought to be a hoot.

I feel for you! I've started having random panicked thoughts about the match. How are you all dealing with your anxiety about match day?

Thanks for all your support. This process really has been one of the most painful of my life, and I just hope it is resolved on match day. Then begins the process of preparing my children for this huge transition. I so feel for all of you who have to make painful tradeoffs between family and career. I think I will enjoy internship very much, but for the sake of my family thank goodness it is only for a year.

I'm definitely moving if I match, but I can't bring myself to look at housing or apartments yet. Feels like a jinx, which is ridiculous, I know!

annel: I'm trying to use mindfulness and focus on the "now." Also trying to reframe not matching, like maybe it could be a good thing in the end. When that doesn't work, distraction. ;)

I'm definitely moving if I match, but I can't bring myself to look at housing or apartments yet. Feels like a jinx, which is ridiculous, I know!

annel: I'm trying to use mindfulness and focus on the "now." Also trying to reframe not matching, like maybe it could be a good thing in the end. When that doesn't work, distraction. ;)

Let me know if you figure out a good reframe for it, cause goodness knows, I haven't been able to! LOL

Just, like, maybe I'll be more competitive and get even more interviews next fall. I dunno, my advisor keeps telling me this story of someone in our program who didn't match their first try despite having several interviews and then got a super awesome site the following year. Obviously though, I'd much prefer to match this year!

I started looking up places for pet boarding for my two dogs where my #1 site is located at....maybe I am delusional....what if I don't match to my #1.....

I started looking up places for pet boarding for my two dogs where my #1 site is located at....maybe I am delusional....what if I don't match to my #1.....

you know...for when I attend conferences or go out of town....

I coped ahead and ensured that I would have lots of opportunities to use my distract skills: busy schedule at lab, a leadership conference this weekend, etc.... and then it snowed/sleeted so much that EVERYTHING in this area for closed Wednesday, today, and tomorrow, and the conference was cancelled.

Even DBT team is cancelled, so I don't have someone to help me problem solve what other skills I could use. BOO.

researchgirl: Ahh, that sucks! Sorry it didn't work out.

Normally we have our open house weekend during match week so the applicant activities serve as a nice distraction, but not this year. Boo!

yeah, we should be having interviews for our program this weekend (which i would have missed), but of course no flights are getting in or out of where i am, so that's ALSO cancelled. as are all of my dissertation subjects. i guess this is an ideal time to catch up on all the manuscripts that say "in progress" on my CV....

Let me know if you figure out a good reframe for it, cause goodness knows, I haven't been able to! LOL
I don't know if this helps at all, but a close friend of mine did not match - twice. She was devastated but eventually decided to do a non-APPIC internship at a site with great training but no interest in APA accred. During that year, she suffered a miscarriage and her dad became ill, and the site was stupendously supportive and helpful during an incredibly difficult time. She then completed her internship and was hired there as a staff psychologist, where she finished her hours and got licensed. They knew her and allow her the flexibility to be available to her kids as needed. Not matching was definitely painful for her, but she now says without hesitation that she's so grateful not to have been at a more "formal" internship that year, and for her, it worked out for the best this way.
So when I think of positive reframe, I think - maybe I will not match, and maybe I will end up at an internship I did not envision for myself, which limits my other opportunities. But all the same, maybe it will be the best place for me personally and for my career, which may take a different path than I'm expecting now, but can still be a wonderful career.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know if this helps at all, but a close friend of mine did not match - twice. She was devastated but eventually decided to do a non-APPIC internship at a site with great training but no interest in APA accred. During that year, she suffered a miscarriage and her dad became ill, and the site was stupendously supportive and helpful during an incredibly difficult time. She then completed her internship and was hired there as a staff psychologist, where she finished her hours and got licensed. They knew her and allow her the flexibility to be available to her kids as needed. Not matching was definitely painful for her, but she now says without hesitation that she's so grateful not to have been at a more "formal" internship that year, and for her, it worked out for the best this way.
So when I think of positive reframe, I think - maybe I will not match, and maybe I will end up at an internship I did not envision for myself, which limits my other opportunities. But all the same, maybe it will be the best place for me personally and for my career, which may take a different path than I'm expecting now, but can still be a wonderful career.

Really terrific perspective, thanks.

Sorry guys.. I had to post to get it out of my mind. I do sound childish but I can't get rid of the thought "what if I don't match?"
I can't wait for this wait to end so that I can move on to the next step knowing my fate.
Maybe I need to start working out harder or do something to distract myself.

It is important for stories like these to get attention too. Individuals take many paths to success and satisfaction in this field and some of them are not the well worn path. And some take the ideal path and yet remain dissatisfied and disappointed. Particularly at this stage in the Match ordeal it is important to hold it all as lightly as possible and keep mindfully to the path you are on and can see just in front of you. This forum is full of information and support--but can also skew into dire scenarios and predictions. Life does not unfold in predictable ways. (well, gravity is pretty predictable, but beyond that and aging...there are many moderating and mediating variables and sometimes the undesired outcome becomes a good one.)

Reactions: 5 users
A lot of you seem to be doing really well with trying to keep yourselves distracted and not ruminating (e.g., OMG, I can't believe I answered that question in that one interview that way! or Did I rank my sites in the best possible way?), and I am really impressed by those of you that are staying somewhat sane during this period of waiting. For me, what was very discouraging was how many applicants my sites interviewed. Especially as the people I was interviewing with seemed to be very qualified candidates. On average, these sites interviewed about 8 – 12 people per slot. I understand that these sites don't want to go into Phase II, but it still seems like a lot of people to interview!! Is it just that a lot of people often have a high number of interviews elsewhere so sites know that many people they interview will not be ranking them very highly? I mean, how does it all work? How highly do you need to be ranked by a site in order to match? Let's say a site I interviewed at interviewed 36 people for 3 slots, and this site ranked me #20. Is it even possible that I could match to this site? That 17 people ahead of me ended up matching elsewhere and therefore I could match to said site? I don't think I bombed any of my interviews, and I definitely feel really good about some of my interviews. But good enough to be ranked #1? Or even #5? Out of 36 people?

A lot of you seem to be doing really well with trying to keep yourselves distracted and not ruminating (e.g., OMG, I can't believe I answered that question in that one interview that way! or Did I rank my sites in the best possible way?), and I am really impressed by those of you that are staying somewhat sane during this period of waiting. For me, what was very discouraging was how many applicants my sites interviewed. Especially as the people I was interviewing with seemed to be very qualified candidates. On average, these sites interviewed about 8 – 12 people per slot. I understand that these sites don't want to go into Phase II, but it still seems like a lot of people to interview!! Is it just that a lot of people often have a high number of interviews elsewhere so sites know that many people they interview will not be ranking them very highly? I mean, how does it all work? How highly do you need to be ranked by a site in order to match? Let's say a site I interviewed at interviewed 36 people for 3 slots, and this site ranked me #20. Is it even possible that I could match to this site? That 17 people ahead of me ended up matching elsewhere and therefore I could match to said site? I don't think I bombed any of my interviews, and I definitely feel really good about some of my interviews. But good enough to be ranked #1? Or even #5? Out of 36 people?

Hey siamesekitten,
I agree with you that it seems like most this year' people in this thread seems very "sane!" I really admire them for that. I share very similar thoughts with you although I KNOW that I need to use DBT, working out, or whatever. I have read last year's thread and there were a lot of humor going around about the anxiety and worries, which somewhat helped. Anyways, maybe try out the magic 8 ball to see what it might tell you. It sounds crazy but I did feel some comfort from it. lol

Last year, the period between submitting rankings and waiting for Match Day was the worst. My husband and I were pretty much nutcases for that whole time, and then I didn't match and it got even worse. So, this year, we planned a big international vacation! It's serving as a delayed honeymoon and stress relief, and it's actually working pretty well! Of course, we're both still thinking about internship (and, obviously, I'm still reading this forum), but we have enough cool stuff to distract us that it's not a constant anxiety. It's getting worse as we get closer to the 21st, but I'm trying to stay optimistic. I got a lot more interviews this year, so my chances are good.

As far as a reframe goes, I know that having this extra year really helped my dissertation. I have a pretty good chance of being done before I start internship now (provided I match, of course), whereas if I had matched last year, I would've had to do a lot of work on evenings and weekends. Plus, I think I was a lot more confident and relaxed on interviews this year, so that's something.

I think I am mostly doing fine, though it's always at the back of my head (Will I match? Where?) and I have occasional fantasies and fears pop up, of course. At this point, though, I think I have really gotten to the point where I am ok with any outcome. I just want to know what it is so I can move on with my life and be active again, one way or another. (Then I wrote the rest of this post and realized I cope with stress by gathering information, so....yeah. Sorry for information overload, it's how I keep sane-ish. ;) )

As for your other question, I saw a statistic (http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/MatchStatistics2013PhaseI.aspx) that sites that ranked 8.2 applicants per spot were more likely to match. The other number (for non-matching sites) was 3.2 applicants per spot. Average was 7.5. Another interesting statistic was that each applicant was ranked by an average of 5.0 programs, but applicants ranked on average 7.1. On average 8.6 applicants ranked a given position, so that suggests ranking ~8 for each position would assure you catch the ones interested enough to match. But the best way to determine is to look at standardized rankings. If the site has 3 spots, then at #20, you'd be in standardized rank #7 - 2% of applicants who matched were in that rank. So possible? Definitely. Likely? Not tremendously. Obviously your best shot is to be in standardized rank #1 (say, in your example, they ranked you #1, 2 or 3; 35% of applicants who matched were in that spot). But a fairly significant number of applicants who matched were in lower standardized ranks, too. (26% in standardized #2, 17% in #3, 11% in #4, 5% in #5.)

I am right there with you - no place I interviewed at interviews fewer than 10 applicants per spot, even though that is only a fraction of their applicants. It's scary to feel that level of competition, especially knowing how hard it was for me to make the distinctions in my rank order list - imagine if you had 60 sites to order. I feel like the difference between my #1 and my #8, for example, was fairly small. I imagine the sites feel the same way. All I can do is trust that it will work out well. And hope that if I don't match, one of the sites I love will be shocked, re-interview me next year and rank me #1. ;)

Yes, this waiting time is stressful and I find myself daydreaming of moving to any of my top 3 sites. If I match I will 100% have to move and be away from my wife for at least six months and maybe the whole year. We're not looking forward to it although we lived apart for a year while she was finishing grad school. I've tried to stay busy with teaching, practice, volunteer work, and collecting data for the diss.

I also fall back on a practice I've used other times when a major life change was looming and mostly out of my control. I compile a gratitude list for each of the possible outcomes. Certainly the "if I match" list is much easier and more fun to imagine, on the other hand, the "if I don't match" list gives me a chance to appreciate what I already have and practice acceptance of things I can not control. So, some things I'll be grateful for if I don't match: get to stay with my wonderful wife, get to stay with my animals, will finish my dissertation before internship, potential family changes (kids) may happen sooner, more time to volunteer in this community, will be able to work on another manuscript, will get to know another cohort of great doc students, will have another year of experiencing 4 seasons, more time to explore the beautiful state we're living in.

Not matching doesn't seem so terrible when I focus on all the good things that are possible with one more year. Best of luck to all!

Reactions: 8 users
I'm curious if anyone who hasn't matched before has spent the year working (a paying job) and how that has gone over with internship sites when you apply the next year? I'm a career-changer with a family and I really cannot afford to keep doing unpaid practica and paying exorbitant tuition for them. However, I could do related paid work such as teaching and clinical-related work that doesn't require a license. If I'm working and not accruing debt, it will make me feel much better about an extra year. Would love to hear about anyone's experience with this. Thanks!

I think I am mostly doing fine, though it's always at the back of my head (Will I match? Where?) and I have occasional fantasies and fears pop up, of course. At this point, though, I think I have really gotten to the point where I am ok with any outcome. I just want to know what it is so I can move on with my life and be active again, one way or another. (Then I wrote the rest of this post and realized I cope with stress by gathering information, so....yeah. Sorry for information overload, it's how I keep sane-ish. ;) )

As for your other question, I saw a statistic (http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/MatchStatistics2013PhaseI.aspx) that sites that ranked 8.2 applicants per spot were more likely to match. The other number (for non-matching sites) was 3.2 applicants per spot. Average was 7.5. Another interesting statistic was that each applicant was ranked by an average of 5.0 programs, but applicants ranked on average 7.1. On average 8.6 applicants ranked a given position, so that suggests ranking ~8 for each position would assure you catch the ones interested enough to match. But the best way to determine is to look at standardized rankings. If the site has 3 spots, then at #20, you'd be in standardized rank #7 - 2% of applicants who matched were in that rank. So possible? Definitely. Likely? Not tremendously. Obviously your best shot is to be in standardized rank #1 (say, in your example, they ranked you #1, 2 or 3; 35% of applicants who matched were in that spot). But a fairly significant number of applicants who matched were in lower standardized ranks, too. (26% in standardized #2, 17% in #3, 11% in #4, 5% in #5.)

I am right there with you - no place I interviewed at interviews fewer than 10 applicants per spot, even though that is only a fraction of their applicants. It's scary to feel that level of competition, especially knowing how hard it was for me to make the distinctions in my rank order list - imagine if you had 60 sites to order. I feel like the difference between my #1 and my #8, for example, was fairly small. I imagine the sites feel the same way. All I can do is trust that it will work out well. And hope that if I don't match, one of the sites I love will be shocked, re-interview me next year and rank me #1. ;)

Thanks!! This is really helpful! I have seen those statistics before (sites ranking 8.2 applicants per spot), but have never broken them down. This makes a whole lot of sense and makes me feel a lot better.

I also had a lot of trouble making distinctions on my rank order list, between #1 and #2 even, and then had a lot of trouble with all of the ones in the middle. The differences between some of them were ridiculously small.

I am going to face this next week with the best positive attitude! If my mind wanders to an interview that makes me cringe to remember a particular answer, I will instead think of another interview, where the interviewer really seemed to like my answers.

Best of luck to all of you! :)

P.S. No need to apologize for the information overload – I love it! :)