2013-2014 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm curious if anyone who hasn't matched before has spent the year working (a paying job) and how that has gone over with internship sites when you apply the next year? I'm a career-changer with a family and I really cannot afford to keep doing unpaid practica and paying exorbitant tuition for them. However, I could do related paid work such as teaching and clinical-related work that doesn't require a license. If I'm working and not accruing debt, it will make me feel much better about an extra year. Would love to hear about anyone's experience with this. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is my second year applying, I did not match last year in Phase I or II which was truly crushing. I decided to reapply instead of an unaccredited internship which was a difficult decision for me. However, I used the last year to find a job as a psych assistant conducting some therapy and mostly a lot of assessment. It was a paying job but also seemed like an elective practicum because of the experience I was receiving. During interviews this year I was able to talk in depth about my experience actually working in the field and how it has helped shape my career goals and also allowed me to identify training needs. While initially I thought not matching would be the worst possible thing that could have happened to me it was actually a blessing as it gave me time to better understand what I wanted and needed from internship, make connections in my community, and get to a place where I will be defending my dissertation this Spring before beginning internship (which a lot of interviewers seemed to really like). So for those of you who are worried about not matching just know it's really not the end of the world. By the way I had 3 interviews last year and received 13 this year, it was quite a big difference! While I know that not matching again is a possibility I'm still hopeful and trying not to worry about not matching until I actually have to! I hope this is helpful and I am wishing everyone the best of luck on match day and luck trying to stay sane this upcoming week!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
A lot of you seem to be doing really well with trying to keep yourselves distracted and not ruminating (e.g., OMG, I can't believe I answered that question in that one interview that way! or Did I rank my sites in the best possible way?), and I am really impressed by those of you that are staying somewhat sane during this period of waiting. For me, what was very discouraging was how many applicants my sites interviewed. Especially as the people I was interviewing with seemed to be very qualified candidates. On average, these sites interviewed about 8 – 12 people per slot. I understand that these sites don't want to go into Phase II, but it still seems like a lot of people to interview!! Is it just that a lot of people often have a high number of interviews elsewhere so sites know that many people they interview will not be ranking them very highly? I mean, how does it all work? How highly do you need to be ranked by a site in order to match? Let's say a site I interviewed at interviewed 36 people for 3 slots, and this site ranked me #20. Is it even possible that I could match to this site? That 17 people ahead of me ended up matching elsewhere and therefore I could match to said site? I don't think I bombed any of my interviews, and I definitely feel really good about some of my interviews. But good enough to be ranked #1? Or even #5? Out of 36 people?

Most of my sites interviewed around 10-12 for each spot too, and I have the same concerns. I have no idea how things will turn out but I feel like I did my best and it is out of my hands now.

Reactions: 1 users
This is my second year applying, I did not match last year in Phase I or II which was truly crushing. I decided to reapply instead of an unaccredited internship which was a difficult decision for me. However, I used the last year to find a job as a psych assistant conducting some therapy and mostly a lot of assessment. It was a paying job but also seemed like an elective practicum because of the experience I was receiving. During interviews this year I was able to talk in depth about my experience actually working in the field and how it has helped shape my career goals and also allowed me to identify training needs. While initially I thought not matching would be the worst possible thing that could have happened to me it was actually a blessing as it gave me time to better understand what I wanted and needed from internship, make connections in my community, and get to a place where I will be defending my dissertation this Spring before beginning internship (which a lot of interviewers seemed to really like). So for those of you who are worried about not matching just know it's really not the end of the world. By the way I had 3 interviews last year and received 13 this year, it was quite a big difference! While I know that not matching again is a possibility I'm still hopeful and trying not to worry about not matching until I actually have to! I hope this is helpful and I am wishing everyone the best of luck on match day and luck trying to stay sane this upcoming week!

Wow, this is really inspiring! And 3 interviews to 13 - congrats on that alone! It sounds like the last year has been a period of immense growth for you, that's really great! Best of luck to you! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What I totally don't understand is this: Most sites interview at least 10+ applicants per a spot, BUT approximately 50% of folks who match end up with their #1 choice. How does that make any sense statistically?

I think I am mostly doing fine, though it's always at the back of my head (Will I match? Where?) and I have occasional fantasies and fears pop up, of course. At this point, though, I think I have really gotten to the point where I am ok with any outcome. I just want to know what it is so I can move on with my life and be active again, one way or another. (Then I wrote the rest of this post and realized I cope with stress by gathering information, so....yeah. Sorry for information overload, it's how I keep sane-ish. ;) )

As for your other question, I saw a statistic (http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/MatchStatistics2013PhaseI.aspx) that sites that ranked 8.2 applicants per spot were more likely to match. The other number (for non-matching sites) was 3.2 applicants per spot. Average was 7.5. Another interesting statistic was that each applicant was ranked by an average of 5.0 programs, but applicants ranked on average 7.1. On average 8.6 applicants ranked a given position, so that suggests ranking ~8 for each position would assure you catch the ones interested enough to match. But the best way to determine is to look at standardized rankings. If the site has 3 spots, then at #20, you'd be in standardized rank #7 - 2% of applicants who matched were in that rank. So possible? Definitely. Likely? Not tremendously. Obviously your best shot is to be in standardized rank #1 (say, in your example, they ranked you #1, 2 or 3; 35% of applicants who matched were in that spot). But a fairly significant number of applicants who matched were in lower standardized ranks, too. (26% in standardized #2, 17% in #3, 11% in #4, 5% in #5.)

I am right there with you - no place I interviewed at interviews fewer than 10 applicants per spot, even though that is only a fraction of their applicants. It's scary to feel that level of competition, especially knowing how hard it was for me to make the distinctions in my rank order list - imagine if you had 60 sites to order. I feel like the difference between my #1 and my #8, for example, was fairly small. I imagine the sites feel the same way. All I can do is trust that it will work out well. And hope that if I don't match, one of the sites I love will be shocked, re-interview me next year and rank me #1. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
I think I am mostly doing fine, though it's always at the back of my head (Will I match? Where?) and I have occasional fantasies and fears pop up, of course. At this point, though, I think I have really gotten to the point where I am ok with any outcome. I just want to know what it is so I can move on with my life and be active again, one way or another. (Then I wrote the rest of this post and realized I cope with stress by gathering information, so....yeah. Sorry for information overload, it's how I keep sane-ish. ;) )

As for your other question, I saw a statistic (http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/MatchStatistics2013PhaseI.aspx) that sites that ranked 8.2 applicants per spot were more likely to match. The other number (for non-matching sites) was 3.2 applicants per spot. Average was 7.5. Another interesting statistic was that each applicant was ranked by an average of 5.0 programs, but applicants ranked on average 7.1. On average 8.6 applicants ranked a given position, so that suggests ranking ~8 for each position would assure you catch the ones interested enough to match. But the best way to determine is to look at standardized rankings. If the site has 3 spots, then at #20, you'd be in standardized rank #7 - 2% of applicants who matched were in that rank. So possible? Definitely. Likely? Not tremendously. Obviously your best shot is to be in standardized rank #1 (say, in your example, they ranked you #1, 2 or 3; 35% of applicants who matched were in that spot). But a fairly significant number of applicants who matched were in lower standardized ranks, too. (26% in standardized #2, 17% in #3, 11% in #4, 5% in #5.)

I am right there with you - no place I interviewed at interviews fewer than 10 applicants per spot, even though that is only a fraction of their applicants. It's scary to feel that level of competition, especially knowing how hard it was for me to make the distinctions in my rank order list - imagine if you had 60 sites to order. I feel like the difference between my #1 and my #8, for example, was fairly small. I imagine the sites feel the same way. All I can do is trust that it will work out well. And hope that if I don't match, one of the sites I love will be shocked, re-interview me next year and rank me #1. ;)

Thanks so much for breaking down the stats!! I feel much better knowing what my odds are statisticallly. :)

This is really inspiring!! 3-13 is definitely a lot!! I hope everything works out this year for you! :)

I'm so glad how things turned out so much better for you than you expected! I really appreciate you sharing this experience - it helps me feel less fearful of not matching this year. I'm just curious - were you able to count your psych assistant hours on your APPI, or did you just describe them in your cover letters? I'm pretty sure our program will not allow us to count any hours unless it is a formal practicum position and we pay them to give us credit. Ironic, because in my state it is illegal to pay for supervision, but perfectly legal for schools to require payment to them for allowing us to count supervised experience on our APPI. Thanks again for sharing!

I'm so glad how things turned out so much better for you than you expected! I really appreciate you sharing this experience - it helps me feel less fearful of not matching this year. I'm just curious - were you able to count your psych assistant hours on your APPI, or did you just describe them in your cover letters? I'm pretty sure our program will not allow us to count any hours unless it is a formal practicum position and we pay them to give us credit. Ironic, because in my state it is illegal to pay for supervision, but perfectly legal for schools to require payment to them for allowing us to count supervised experience on our APPI. Thanks again for sharing!
Thank you, I'm glad I could be helpful! Unfortunately I was not able to count the psych assistant hours on my APPI but I was able to highlight the experience on my CV and in cover letters when it seemed appropriate. Surprisingly, sites did not seem to care (or notice?) that this was a paid job and not practicum. Furthermore, I got to speak about what it was like to work more autonomously then I had in previous prac experiences and relate that to what I was hoping for in terms of supervision for internship. Hope this helps!!!! If your hours are low you could always do a part-time extra prac and work as a psych assistant and/or teach at the same time, you would be busy but when aren't we all ridiculously busy?? :) still I would say don't worry about this yet, we have a week to stress out before anyone has to think about making alternate plans!!!

What I totally don't understand is this: Most sites interview at least 10+ applicants per a spot, BUT approximately 50% of folks who match end up with their #1 choice. How does that make any sense statistically?

The 10+ people that interviewed are not all going to rank that site as their first choice.

The 10+ people that interviewed are not all going to rank that site as their first choice.

Is that necessarily true? What about sites in desireable geographic areas? Chicago, Boston, SF, New York...

I wonder if it's about fit. Students are likely to rank #1 sites they're a good fit for, and sites are likely to rank those students highly too?

Well, now that we have less than a week left my anxiety has increased even more. I doubt I'll be very productive this week!

Is that necessarily true? What about sites in desireable geographic areas? Chicago, Boston, SF, New York...

I wonder if it's about fit. Students are likely to rank #1 sites they're a good fit for, and sites are likely to rank those students highly too?

Umm, yeah I think its pretty safe to assume that it is true. The odds of that happening at even a single site would be pretty long. You also have to account that its only 50% of those students who matched are matched at their first choice. It doesn't account for the applicants who submitted rankings and did not match.

Last edited:
Umm, yeah I think its pretty safe to assume that it is true. The odds of that happening at even a single site would be pretty long. You also have to account that its only 50% of those students who matched are matched at their first choice. It doesn't account for the applicants who submitted rankings and did not match.

So, if 75% of applicants match and 25% don't match, then that 50% is actually 37.5%? Assuming I did the math right. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
So, if 75% of applicants match and 25% don't match, then that 50% is actually 37.5%? Assuming I did the math right. ;)

So in my position though...I ranked 13 sites. Folks who ranked that many sites have a 99% chance of matching....so then the 50% is actually 50%? Or 49.5% to be exact?

Pretty much. Just taking the number of those who matched to their top choice (1557 in 2013) and dividing it by the total number who submitted rankings (4051 in 2013) would give you around 38.4%.

Reactions: 2 users
So in my position though...I ranked 13 sites. Folks who ranked that many sites have a 99% chance of matching....so then the 50% is actually 50%? Or 49.5% to be exact?
Using 2013 Data. 3094 participants matched. 1557 of those matched at their number one choice. It would be 50.3%.

Thank you, I'm glad I could be helpful! Unfortunately I was not able to count the psych assistant hours on my APPI but I was able to highlight the experience on my CV and in cover letters when it seemed appropriate. Surprisingly, sites did not seem to care (or notice?) that this was a paid job and not practicum. Furthermore, I got to speak about what it was like to work more autonomously then I had in previous prac experiences and relate that to what I was hoping for in terms of supervision for internship. Hope this helps!!!! If your hours are low you could always do a part-time extra prac and work as a psych assistant and/or teach at the same time, you would be busy but when aren't we all ridiculously busy?? :) still I would say don't worry about this yet, we have a week to stress out before anyone has to think about making alternate plans!!!

Thanks, this is really helpful! I think I will have sufficient hours for most sites after this year, so it probably would be fine to handle it the way you did. Of course I'm hoping I match, but realizing that the alternative might work out ok really reduces my anxiety. Good luck to you this year!

Using 2013 Data. 3094 participants matched. 1557 of those matched at their number one choice. It would be 50.3%.

So, you are saying it would be 50.3% for this person who had 13 interviews because his or her chance of matching is 99%? Did I interpret that correctly?

So, you are saying it would be 50.3% for this person who had 13 interviews because his or her chance of matching is 99%? Did I interpret that correctly?
No. That is a separate statistic (13 interviews, 99% chance of matching). I'm simply stating the statistic given by the APPIC website about matching to an applicants first choice in regards to the the question that was posed below. Just trying to clarify that the statistic does make sense.
"What I totally don't understand is this: Most sites interview at least 10+ applicants per a spot, BUT approximately 50% of folks who match end up with their #1 choice. How does that make any sense statistically? "

No. That is a separate statistic (13 interviews, 99% chance of matching). I'm simply stating the statistic given by the APPIC website about matching to an applicants first choice in regards to the the question that was posed below. Just trying to clarify that the statistic does make sense.
"What I totally don't understand is this: Most sites interview at least 10+ applicants per a spot, BUT approximately 50% of folks who match end up with their #1 choice. How does that make any sense statistically? "

Got it. So what you were saying before – why 50% of people who match get their top site, this happens because the site that they rank #1 is not going to be ranked #1 by most others (but some will rank it #1 obviously) that interviewed at said site? They will rank some other site #1? I guess I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this because this statistic seems "too good to be true" or something.

Got it. So what you were saying before – why 50% of people who match get their top site, this happens because the site that they rank #1 is not going to be ranked #1 by most others (but some will rank it #1 obviously) that interviewed at said site? They will rank some other site #1? I guess I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this because this statistic seems "too good to be true" or something.

Right. As I mentioned that statistic only takes into account participants that matched. Taking into account participants that didn't match it would be closer to 38.4%. When you consider that last year 3094 positions were filled by the 3094 applicants who matched it makes more sense that around 50% would have gotten their first choice and the other half got something from their 2nd pick on down. You can also consider that some tracks have more than one position.

Last edited:

Also consider that these statistics are averages across all sites and applicants. We have to be careful about generalizing from population-wide statistics to specific cases. I would imagine that the likelihood of getting a given site that an applicant ranks #1 is moderated my the desirability of the site, among other things.

Also consider that these statistics are averages across all sites and applicants. We have to be careful about generalizing from population-wide statistics to specific cases. I would imagine that the likelihood of getting a given site that an applicant ranks #1 is moderated my the desirability of the site, among other things.

That's what I'm afraid of. My top three sites all seem pretty desireable....but wouldn't everyone be likely to rank desireable sites as their top pick?

That's what I'm afraid of. My top three sites all seem pretty desireable....but wouldn't everyone be likely to rank desireable sites as their top pick?
You have to remember that "desirable" is relative. What you find desirable might not be as desirable for someone else and vice versa, especially when the distinctions we are having to make between many great sites are so fine. I've been surprised in talking to a number of people who interviewed at the same places as I did that their impressions varied considerably. Also, different people are weighing the importance of various factors differently. For instance, for me geographically location was not very important to my rankings, however for others I know it was the most important deciding factor for rankings. On the other hand, for me amount of protected research time weighed in heavily to my decision, but for many people I have talked to it is far less important. I am trying to believe that this whole "fit" thing will work itself out in the end. Of course, it would be a lot easier to trust if there weren't such a hige disparity between applicants and sites.

Plus, not everyone wants to live in those big cities. I know people who only applied to internships in smaller towns or rural areas, for instance.

Plus, not everyone wants to live in those big cities. I know people who only applied to internships in smaller towns or rural areas, for instance.
Right - for every person who says, all other things being equal, "I really want to move to Boston" there is another who says "Cost of living on the stipend is too high - no thanks."

I'm curious if anyone who hasn't matched before has spent the year working (a paying job) and how that has gone over with internship sites when you apply the next year? I'm a career-changer with a family and I really cannot afford to keep doing unpaid practica and paying exorbitant tuition for them. However, I could do related paid work such as teaching and clinical-related work that doesn't require a license. If I'm working and not accruing debt, it will make me feel much better about an extra year. Would love to hear about anyone's experience with this. Thanks!

Related paid work would only add to the strength of your application. Having your dissertation done and any additional work in the field is only a plus.

As others have said, desirable is relative. For example, of my top 4, I would say that 2 are highly prestigious and 2 are less prestigious, though still highly competitive (in part due to geographical location and in part due to other factors). I ranked the 2 prestigious ones as #1 and #4, respectively. Most people are surprised that I didn't put my #4 higher, simply because of the cachet that comes with the site, but it was missing something that I want to get on internship that the other, less prestigious sites, were able to give me a lot of. So it became slightly less desirable for me, though I'm sure many people would put it very high (not that #4 isn't high, obviously).
The other thing is, all of your top 3 are desirable, right? So, statistically speaking, if you take a sample of people ranking those three, some will end up putting your #1 at #2 and some at #3. It shifts around just by virtue of there being many wonderful sites!

. Most people are surprised that I didn't put my #4 higher, simply because of the cachet that comes with the site, but it was missing something that I want to get on internship that the other, less prestigious sites, were able to give me a lot of. So it became slightly less desirable for me, though I'm sure many people would put it very high (not that #4 isn't high, obviously).
The other thing is, all of your top 3 are desirable, right?

I agree - and this logic applied to how I decided to rank sites as well.

also: almost there, everyone!! Friday can't come soon enough... kinda crazy to think that this process will essentially culminate with a single e-mail.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm pretty much just a bundle of nerves by this point.

I feel like I've been rapid cycling normal-anxious-depressed and back around, over and over again.

Reactions: 7 users
I hope I could make it through this week sane. I am already nervous and unable to sleep or concentrate.

Gosh pavlove. What you said totally fits for me. I have so much to do, but I can only seem to get anything done when there's an imminent time deadline looming. It's horrendous! At first I tried to be proactive about getting stuff done ahead of time. That didn't work. So I have just resigned myself to getting stuff done at the last minute.

Anyone else experience that? How do you cope?

annel - for me, a large part of coping has been adopting a self-compassionate attitude and trying to understand that, for me right now, reorganizing work priorities is part of appropriate self-care. Of course things like supervision, seeing clients, and ensuring that my dissertation data continues to be collected are non-negotiable and are my priorities. Other stuff (e.g., the manuscripts I'm writing, the program development stuff I'm doing, etc) can wait IMO. I feel like I have had to take this approach several other times during graduate school (i.e., during the thick of comps, time around thesis defense, or significant personal events) and have been able to return successfully to being more productive when the stressor has dissipated a bit. Spending more time with other students in my cohort has also been super helpful for coping.

Gosh pavlove. What you said totally fits for me. I have so much to do, but I can only seem to get anything done when there's an imminent time deadline looming. It's horrendous! At first I tried to be proactive about getting stuff done ahead of time. That didn't work. So I have just resigned myself to getting stuff done at the last minute.

Anyone else experience that? How do you cope?

I was doing pretty well until Friday, when we reached the last week before match day. Now, trying to keep my mind on anything else is becoming futile. I'm just doing what I can, trying to validate that this is really a difficult time and being less productive than usual is normal. And taking the opportunity to enjoy whatever indulgences make me feel better...

I just watched season two of House of Cards this weekend. Obviously my productivity is peaking right now.

Reactions: 9 users
Gosh, I hear you all loud and clear. Thankfully, my husband planned a family skiing trip this week so I'm booking my kids for ski-classes and I'll be snowboarding my heart out this Mon-Thurs....although the Olympics free style competition blew my mind! I definitely know my limits on the slope (i.e., I'm the biggest slow-plower around). If you can't beat the polar vortex, join it.

I hope everyone has a good week. Just few more days before we all get super-busy again with future plans.

Reactions: 6 users
I just watched season two of House of Cards this weekend. Obviously my productivity is peaking right now.

I watched season one and season two of The Mindy Project this weekend.

I just finished Season 1! Have work to do, then going to watch Season 2. It helps to be distracted, even though my stomach is in knots...

I've been watching Psych on Netflix (I'd only ever seen bits and pieces before).

I wish I could take a magic potion and sleep until Friday...Ahhh...I am afraid I am no going to match.

I've been watching Psych on Netflix (I'd only ever seen bits and pieces before).

Isn't Psych the funniest show ever?? I LOVE Psych!! I am jealous that you get to watch the episodes for the first time, lol. Although I always enjoy watching them over and over again. ;)

I wish I hadn't already watched every season of 24 - nothing like it to take my mind of of ANYTHING else!

I wish I hadn't already watched every season of 24 - nothing like it to take my mind of of ANYTHING else!

Another favorite! My husband and I watched Season 8 over again in the last couple of weeks, to refresh our memories since it is coming back in May. I was surprised at how many "little things' I had forgotten about, and it was fun to watch it again. So you could try watching one of your favorite seasons again, or maybe try watching a show you have heard people raving about but have never found the time to watch? TV is a very good distraction IMO. ;)

I've started rewatching Gilmore Girls to distract myself. Something completely not psychology related. :)

Plus, it's such bad timing with the Olympics this year because the shows I normally watch every week are all reruns!

And, yes, Psych is hilarious! I can't watch anything serious right now, anything that makes me feel anxious (even if it's unrelated to the M-word) will put me more on edge. ;)