2013-2014 Radiology Applicants Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ERAS submission was today. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting to wonder if I applied to too many top tier and reach schools. I did 33 total. I feel like I need to throw in some more mid tier academic places in the SE/East coast. Anyone have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
You might add Mayo Arizona to your list, if you are consideriing U of Arizona and other southwest programs. Mayo is in Phoenix which is a bit more cosmo than Tucson, and Mayo is a class organization. New program, but my friend was a fellow there and loved it.

I'm starting to wonder if I applied to too many top tier and reach schools. I did 33 total. I feel like I need to throw in some more mid tier academic places in the SE/East coast. Anyone have any suggestions?

Wvu has a good program. They take 4 per year. All of the residents get along well, and most of the attendings are excellent teachers.

What are people's thoughts on Mayo in Arizona?
I'm thinking of adding them

Here's the scoop from a recent fellow I know who has ties to Mayo Arizona. Mayo Arizona has had radiology fellowships for a long time without having a residency, and is apparently now transitioning their focus to residents. Currently they take about 9 fellows/year, but once the residency starts (this is the first year), her understanding is that they are going to downsize the fellowships to 4/year to match the 4 residents/year in the program. The strategy is part of the overall growth of Mayo Arizona, as they are also starting a medical school. The Phoenix area is definitely underserved in terms of radiology training programs--for such a large city, there are currently only 2 programs, neither academic.

The Mayo Arizona radiology department has attracted a lot of education talent--the residency PD is the the previous fellowship PD who ran the fellowship for years. The associate PD is a young guy from Cornell. The former PD at UCSF joined the staff last year. A former assistant PD at Mallinckrodt has also joined the staff this year. The staff radiologists are all subspecialized and come from a variety of places, including other staff from UCSF, Mallinckrodt, Mayo Rochester, and other big name places. She said there are about 35 radiologists on staff.

My friend did a body MRI fellowship there and loved it. Should be a great place to train, and the Mayo name opens doors. She thinks it is going to be the place to go in the Southwest for training.

Here's the scoop from a recent fellow I know who has ties to Mayo Arizona. Mayo Arizona has had radiology fellowships for a long time without having a residency, and is apparently now transitioning their focus to residents. Currently they take about 9 fellows/year, but once the residency starts (this is the first year), her understanding is that they are going to downsize the fellowships to 4/year to match the 4 residents/year in the program. The strategy is part of the overall growth of Mayo Arizona, as they are also starting a medical school. The Phoenix area is definitely underserved in terms of radiology training programs--for such a large city, there are currently only 2 programs, neither academic.

The Mayo Arizona radiology department has attracted a lot of education talent--the residency PD is the the previous fellowship PD who ran the fellowship for years. The associate PD is a young guy from Cornell. The former PD at UCSF joined the staff last year. A former assistant PD at Mallinckrodt has also joined the staff this year. The staff radiologists are all subspecialized and come from a variety of places, including other staff from UCSF, Mallinckrodt, Mayo Rochester, and other big name places. She said there are about 35 radiologists on staff.

My friend did a body MRI fellowship there and loved it. Should be a great place to train, and the Mayo name opens doors. She thinks it is going to be the place to go in the Southwest for training.

Awesome - thanks for the info on the program. I really appreciate it.

A silly question: for programs that have both categorical and advanced tracks, do you apply to both??? Thanks!

Last edited:
How common are second wave of invites (and how many) for most programs (i.e. not the MIR, MGHs of the world)?

Depends on the program. There is a wait list at times also

How common are second wave of invites (and how many) for most programs (i.e. not the MIR, MGHs of the world)?

Again, the MSPEs aren't even in yet. Don't worry too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not worried. But I'd like to know if it's even worth keeping a prelim interview if I'm not getting a rads invite.

Just wondering if TY/prelim invites have been as scarce for others so far as they have been for me. The TY/prelim thread on AuntMinnie has been dead, but I was wondering if there's just not as much interest/anxiety about it, thus less interest to update the thread.

Ok the interview drought is now scary, what's the date at which we should worry? in a week?

Just wondering if TY/prelim invites have been as scarce for others so far as they have been for me. The TY/prelim thread on AuntMinnie has been dead, but I was wondering if there's just not as much interest/anxiety about it, thus less interest to update the thread.

They have for me.

But I only applied to like 10 TYs and my home prelims.

I've just been adding the prelims at the programs I'm going to interview at tho through ERAS as my invites come in.

I'd prefer a cush intern year but I honestly don't care too too much in the grand scheme of things

And where/to how many places did you apply?

My stats are alright, I've been very happy with rads invites so far. For TY/Prelim I applied to 22 midwest, southern and southwestern programs. Sitting with 2 invites. I expected them to at least be on course with rads invites, but that hasn't been the case thus far. Meh...

I am worried too....
I think i have decent stats (246, no AOA), but I have not received invites from some of the in-state programs, and no prelim/TY (applied to 17) at all....
I am hoping they just haven't gotten to my application....
At what point should I start taking action, like making phone calls or applying to more places?

I am worried too....
I think i have decent stats (246, no AOA), but I have not received invites from some of the in-state programs, and no prelim/TY (applied to 17) at all....
I am hoping they just haven't gotten to my application....
At what point should I start taking action, like making phone calls or applying to more places?

Look at the thread on Aunt Minnie to see if your programs have already sent out interview invites (keep in mind some people may be lying).

Double check ERAS to make sure everything is complete.

If interviews have already gone out and your app is complete, may be worth calling to express interest to a few of your favorite programs.

Then again, it's still pretty early. I'd probably wait another few weeks unless it's a program that finished interviewing early.

Does anyone have a good link or source for like a nice garment/carry on bag? I want something that will fit my suit and enough stuff for 1-2 days that doesn't have to be checked.

That's pretty slick. A suit would definitely fit in there I guess?

On a related note, are you guys going to bring the standard leather bound folder to interviews? I think I'll feel somewhat like a tool carrying one, but I mean if EVERYONE is doing it.....

Yeah looks like one side is a garment bag that folds in half for suits/coats/whatev and the otherside is for normal suitcase stuff.

I dunno, I think i will prob just use my stupid leather thing i used for med school interviews. ha

That's pretty slick. A suit would definitely fit in there I guess?

On a related note, are you guys going to bring the standard leather bound folder to interviews? I think I'll feel somewhat like a tool carrying one, but I mean if EVERYONE is doing it.....

Some of the reviewers said they were able to get a couple of suits shirts and shoes etc.

I plan on bringing one (have on as a gift). I have a rads publication accepted but not in print at the time of ERAS submission. I'll bring it a long just in case I get asked about it. And to actually go over it while traveling.

So is it for sure 4 residents per class year? I heard on AM that it was 1 i think.

The 1 vs 4 thing is huge for me, obviously...

Another random question...

About how many people from your class are going in to radiology?

I'm in a fairly large class (~175) and there are 21 people going in to rads, compared to last years 3 whole people. I think it's probably completely random, just curious as to how it's going at other schools.

I'm in a fairly large class (~175) and there are 21 people going in to rads, compared to last years 3 whole people. I think it's probably completely random, just curious as to how it's going at other schools.

Low teens here out of a class of ~160. Has fluctuated a lot over the years.

2 out of about a hundred
ha

4 out of 70ish here.

7 out of ~130

5 (last I heard) out of 120ish

So is it for sure 4 residents per class year? I heard on AM that it was 1 i think.

The 1 vs 4 thing is huge for me, obviously...

Definitely 4. Says so on their website. There is also a new RadOnc program at Mayo AZ which has one resident, I think. Maybe that's the confusion.

Definitely 4. Says so on their website. There is also a new RadOnc program at Mayo AZ which has one resident, I think. Maybe that's the confusion.

Nice. 4 is way better than 1 haha. I swear they added that sometime in the last month unless I TOTALLY missed it when i was combing through their site.

Nice. 4 is way better than 1 haha. I swear they added that sometime in the last month unless I TOTALLY missed it when i was combing through their site.

What are y'all's thoughts on the program? Faculty appears to be very good.

What are y'all's thoughts on the program? Faculty appears to be very good.

I'm pretty stoked to check it out actually. Phoenix is a sick city, Mayo is obviously a good name. I think I would be more hesitant if it was just some rando program that was starting a residency you know?

No those weren't all mine. I just bolded all the ones that were sent out today when I posted. Makes it easier to read when all the ones announced in one day are bolded.

Vandy downloading my updated USMLE transcript after I've already been rejected. Booooooo.

That's a level of ADTS OCD that I would not have picked up on at this point. I just looked until everyone had downloaded everything once.

That's a level of ADTS OCD that I would not have picked up on at this point. I just looked until everyone had downloaded everything once.

While I usually revel in my OCD, to be fair, my Step II score came out last week and I checked to see who downloaded it.