2013-2014 Radiology Applicants Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

David Hasselhof

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figure I would start this thread up since we are quickly approaching September 15th...

This forum seems like it has been pretty dead lately but maybe some people will start posting.

Anyways, I will be applying to Southeast, East coast, and some Northeast programs. I'm having a very hard time figuring out where to apply. I'd say I'm a fairly strong applicant (but not like some of the SDN all-stars), Step 1 >250, mostly 3rd year honors, 1-2 research experiences (no major pubs), and EC's are pretty weak after that. Taking step 2 in about a month.

Here are some of the places I'm looking at (Other suggestions welcome!!!!!)

Emory
Medical College of Georgia
MUSC
UAB
Baptist Health (Alabama)
UF
Miami
Duke
Wake Forest
UTenn
Vandy
Tulane
Virginia
NYU
Cornell
Sinai
Columbia
Northwestern
UChicago
MIR
UPenn

Added:

Rush
UNC
MGH

That's just a start. I'm thinking it's probably too top heavy but it's just hard to find out about the mid-tier programs but I'm sure there's some great ones. I haven't even started looking at prelims/TYs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would also add Rush and UNC to your list, given your geographic foci. Both great programs. Then I think your list would be complete enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're interested in NYC, should probably add Montefiore (Albert Einstein - good program, crappy neighborhood) and North Shore/LIJ as well (NSLIJ is technically academic now that they have their own med school).

Beth Israel and St Luke's Roosevelt are both good community programs too if you have a pressing desire to live in Manhattan.

Well I guess I'm one of the only radiology applicants this year :thumbup:

Maybe the IMG doomsday trolls are effective.

I see some midwest programs, what about Mayo?

Location is very important in your job placement in the future. If you have any geographic preference to live in the future, try to find a residency spot in that location. Otherwise, go to the best program that you think fits you. Which programs are the top ones is a topic of huge argument in each application cycle.

Don't take location for granted. Don't get surprised if a job in Houston goes to the graduate of local solid program and not to the graduate of MGH.

Would also consider mayo Jacksonville for the southeast. I think you have a good shot at most of the programs you listed. If you have specific questions about programs in the SE, pm me.

Location is very important in your job placement in the future. If you have any geographic preference to live in the future, try to find a residency spot in that location. Otherwise, go to the best program that you think fits you. Which programs are the top ones is a topic of huge argument in each application cycle.

Don't take location for granted. Don't get surprised if a job in Houston goes to the graduate of local solid program and not to the graduate of MGH.

Thanks for the advice, and I have heard the same before. I would be happy in most of the cities listed above, but it's hard to know since there are quite a few I haven't been to.

How competitive is Colorado? I imagine pretty competitive..

Only program in the state, with not a single program in surrounding Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, or Nevada.

Listen to shark2000's advice though, as it is spot on. If you don't want to practice in Colorado or the nearby surrounding area there is no reason to go there (unless you absolutely love the place).

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everyone. Hope you had better luck than I did in the main match.

Good luck everyone. Hope you had better luck than I did in the main match.

I believe you SOAP'ed? If you don't mind me asking, why do you think you didn't initially match? Is there anything you would have done differently?

It seems like you wound up at a decent program.

ah the memories of this thread.. i matched last year and in my prelim year now.. good luck to all of you.. interview season is a lot of fun (plus a little stress and minus a LOT of money)

ah the memories of this thread.. i matched last year and in my prelim year now.. good luck to all of you.. interview season is a lot of fun (plus a little stress and minus a LOT of money)

Any tips or nuggets?!?

Be yourself. Programs care a lot about culture, and you'll care more about getting along with your residents and attendings than you will about name and career prospects. You've made it this far, your career is in the bag the only variable is where you'll live and there's always fellowship.

I believe you SOAP'ed? If you don't mind me asking, why do you think you didn't initially match? Is there anything you would have done differently?

It seems like you wound up at a decent program.

I truely enjoyed the whole interview process. Visiting all of these cities, I had a blast interviewing at some awesome places, some of which are on your list. Had 11 great interviews and was excited for match week.

Then, as a Metallica song says: "Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...". I will never forget reading the Did I match? email. What is funny is that the NRMP sent the non-matched emails before the match emails. I know this because I was in a room with a friend of mine who, of course, matched.

I have been very introspective about what happened. I had the people of auntminnie accuse me of being introverted and/or non passionate about radiology. What the programs thought I can't comment on. I can only comment on how I felt.... I had some great conversational interviews with attendings, chief residents, etc during the process. Maybe I was just simply unlucky and slipped through the cracks, but who knows. Either way it is still depressing think about the enthusiasm I had for my top programs (UF, UM, VCU, and UKentucky). I laugh at how I was thinking so hard how I was going to order some parts of my list when it was all in vein

However, with encouragement of my home program PD, I didn't give up my desire to be a radiologist and applied for soap. Got 5 calls, 4 of which filled in the first offer period, the last one ended up offering me a spot during the second offer period.

Don't get me wrong, I am very gracious and happy I ended up scrambling to a good program in Georgia (maybe we will be future colleagues ;)). I noticed that the top two on your list are Emory and MCG. Are you from GA? Feel free to PM me to talk some more.

All I can say is apply broadly and smartly. Go to every interview you get (taking into account your financial situation). I am sure you have solid stats and CV. You will most likely be fine.

I went through the match last year and had a great experience. Loved going to all the programs and cities and just really enjoyed myself. Matched at a dream program. It is stressful, but don't forget to enjoy it!

I truely enjoyed the whole interview process. Visiting all of these cities, I had a blast interviewing at some awesome places, some of which are on your list. Had 11 great interviews and was excited for match week.

Then, as a Metallica song says: "Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...". I will never forget reading the Did I match? email. What is funny is that the NRMP sent the non-matched emails before the match emails. I know this because I was in a room with a friend of mine who, of course, matched.

I have been very introspective about what happened. I had the people of auntminnie accuse me of being introverted and/or non passionate about radiology. What the programs thought I can't comment on. I can only comment on how I felt.... I had some great conversational interviews with attendings, chief residents, etc during the process. Maybe I was just simply unlucky and slipped through the cracks, but who knows. Either way it is still depressing think about the enthusiasm I had for my top programs (UF, UM, VCU, and UKentucky). I laugh at how I was thinking so hard how I was going to order some parts of my list when it was all in vein

However, with encouragement of my home program PD, I didn't give up my desire to be a radiologist and applied for soap. Got 5 calls, 4 of which filled in the first offer period, the last one ended up offering me a spot during the second offer period.

Don't get me wrong, I am very gracious and happy I ended up scrambling to a good program in Georgia (maybe we will be future colleagues ;)). I noticed that the top two on your list are Emory and MCG. Are you from GA? Feel free to PM me to talk some more.

All I can say is apply broadly and smartly. Go to every interview you get (taking into account your financial situation). I am sure you have solid stats and CV. You will most likely be fine.

Alright, Honestly this post scares the **** out of me!!!!

I went through the match last year and had a great experience. Loved going to all the programs and cities and just really enjoyed myself. Matched at a dream program. It is stressful, but don't forget to enjoy it!

But this one is encouraging :thumbup:

Process is way too stressful

Figure I would start this thread up since we are quickly approaching September 15th...

This forum seems like it has been pretty dead lately but maybe some people will start posting.

Anyways, I will be applying to Southeast, East coast, and some Northeast programs. I'm having a very hard time figuring out where to apply. I'd say I'm a fairly strong applicant (but not like some of the SDN all-stars), Step 1 >250, mostly 3rd year honors, 1-2 research experiences (no major pubs), and EC's are pretty weak after that. Taking step 2 in about a month.

Here are some of the places I'm looking at (Other suggestions welcome!!!!!)

Emory
Medical College of Georgia
MUSC
UAB
Baptist Health (Alabama)
UF
Miami
Duke
Wake Forest
UTenn
Vandy
Tulane
Virginia
NYU
Cornell
Sinai
Columbia
Northwestern
UChicago
MIR
UPenn

Added:

Rush
UNC
MGH

That's just a start. I'm thinking it's probably too top heavy but it's just hard to find out about the mid-tier programs but I'm sure there's some great ones. I haven't even started looking at prelims/TYs.

I had interviews at a lot of places on your list with a 243 step 1. You're fine.

I had interviews at a lot of places on your list with a 243 step 1. You're fine.

Good to know, just had a meeting with my "career advisor" :)lame:) and I walked away with the impression that you'll be struggling to get any interviews unless you have a 265 step 1, AOA, top 5% of your class with multiple first author publications.

Obviously I know this isn't the case. Very uplifting meeting though :eyebrow:

Well, I matched at one of the places on that list with my score, so just apply and see what happens. ;)

Any other applicants on here? Anybody?!?

I still think I should add about 10 mid-lower tier programs.

I also have no idea how many prelims/TYs to apply to.

Another Rads Applicant here. Looking for some help on where to apply.

Step 1: 226
Step 2: pending - should be available Sep 25th
3rd year Grades - All Honors
1st and 2nd year Grades - Top 50% of class
School - MD State School in Mid-Atlantic Region
Research - one non-Rads related Poster that may get accepted to State Med Journal

Been told to apply to 50 programs by my Rads Advisor. No home program. He gave me a short list of programs where I need to apply, but I need some help getting to 50. Lived in SE and Midwest mainly. Would be happy in SE, Midwest, and Mid-Atlantic. Thanks.

Geisinger
U Maryland
U of Cincy
U of Kentucky
UT-Knoxville
U of Louisville
Detroit/Wayne State
MCG

I'm applying this cycle as well. Looking for some advice on additional programs.

Step 1: 255
Step 2: Taking both in November.
3rd year: No honors
Did a post-sophomore fellowship in pathology. Couple of research projects. Nothing rads related. One poster presentation at a national meeting.
Ranking: Top quartile

Here's my current list:

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
University of Arizona
Kaiser Permanente LA
Stanford
UC San Diego
University of Florida
USF Morsani
Emory
UK Lexington
University of Louisville
Hopkins (Probably will delete it...No desire to go there even if I could)
University of Mississippi
Duke
UNC
Wake
Dartmouth
University of New Mexico
Ohio State
Cincinnati
University of Oklahoma
Oregon
Penn State
UPMC
Medical University of South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Baylor
UVA
VCU
University of Washington
WVU

Sorry for the randomness. I just scrolled down my ERAS and typed them out. Obviously, I don't care what region I go to...I'd rather just go somewhere without snow (obviously I still applied to a few places with colder weather). Looking down the road, I'm thinking I'll do IR, but I'm not closing any doors just yet. The point is that I'd like to go somewhere that I can get a significant amount of procedural experience.

I also have a question about LORs. I currently have five...Two pediatrics (I thought one wouldn't get it done), one research based from my fellowship (the attending knows me very well), one from my home rads, and one from an away IR (attending knows me pretty well - worked almost exclusively with him). What combination should I submit? Thanks.

Is there anyone that knows about prelims/TYs in these places?

New York
Chicago
Atlanta
North Carlina
Virginia
Nashville
Memphis

Good programs, places to avoid, etc. Might be a long shot but I thought I'd ask! PM me if you like!

How is everyone deciding their prelim/TYs?

I've got like 10-15 categorical programs i am applying to, then like 6 TYs and my home surgical prelim year.

Any thoughts?

I've got like 10-15 categorical programs i am applying to, then like 6 TYs and my home surgical prelim year.

Any thoughts?

I'm having a tough time with the prelims and TYs. Just not sure how many to apply to.

I'm definitely not applying to any surgical prelims, ha. But I guess you're wanting to do IR?

It looks like your application is flawless, so I'd probably say that is a good number for you.

I'm having a tough time with the prelims and TYs. Just not sure how many to apply to.

I'm definitely not applying to any surgical prelims, ha. But I guess you're wanting to do IR?

It looks like your application is flawless, so I'd probably say that is a good number for you.

Yeah I'm def considering IR. I loved all my surgery rotations and just found the medicine more fun and interesting than my internal med rotations and think I have a pretty good in here at my home program for a prelim if I want/need it. Won't be as cake as an actual TY but oh well I guess...

How many do you have on your list?

Are you guys doing anything different with your personal statements for the prelim/TYs?

I'm submitting the same personal statement for TY's even though its very radiology focused.

I'm submitting the same personal statement for TY's even though its very radiology focused.

Ok yeah I guess I am too. I mean mine is extremely radiology focused... but I didn't really feel like adjusting it.

I'm from a state school in Michigan. Step 1: 265, Step 2: 269. One poster publication. A couple of research experiences. All clinical honors except surgery. Good leadership experiences. AOA.

Here is my list. Let me know if there are any programs that I should absolutely be applying to that I'm missing. I decided on these with my wife, considering where we would like to live etc. I hope I'm not shooting too high and that there are enough middle of the road programs.

Loyola University Program, Maywood, IL
McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University Program, Chicago, IL
Rush University Medical Center Program, Chicago, IL
University of Chicago Program, Chicago, IL
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago Program, Chicago, IL
Indiana University School of Medicine Program, Indianapolis, IN
Boston University Medical Center Program, Boston, MA
Brigham and Women's Hospital/Harvard Medical School Program, Boston, MA
Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School Program, Boston, MA
Johns Hopkins University Program, Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland Program, Baltimore, MD
Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University Program, Detroit, MI
Grand Rapids Medical Education Partners/Michigan State University Program, Grand Rapids, MI
Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State University Program, Detroit, MI
Oakwood Hospital Program, Dearborn, MI
Providence Hospital and Medical Centers Program, Southfield, MI
St Joseph Mercy-Oakland Program, Pontiac, MI
University of Michigan Program, Ann Arbor, MI
William Beaumont Hospital Program, Royal Oak, MI
Washington University/B-JH/SLCH Consortium Program, St Louis, MO
Duke University Hospital Program, Durham, NC
University of North Carolina Hospitals Program, Chapel Hill, NC
Wake Forest University School of Medicine Program, Winston-Salem, NC
Case Western Reserve University/University Hospitals Case Medical Center Program, Cleveland, OH
Cleveland Clinic Foundation Program, Cleveland, OH
Ohio State University Hospital Program, Columbus, OH
UPMC Medical Education Program, Pittsburgh, PA
Medical University of South Carolina Program, Charleston, SC
Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals Program, Milwaukee, WI
University of Wisconsin Program, Madison, WI

I think your list looks good Prodromo.

You and elekroshok both have essentially perfect applications on paper, I think you'll be able to go wherever you want to.

Here's what I have so far. From the SE, step 1 255+, no AOA, all 3rd year honors except psych and OB. Poster presentation and one paper (like the 8th author).

Baptist Health System Program, Birmingham, AL

University of Alabama Medical Center Program, Birmingham, AL

University of Colorado Program, Aurora, CO

College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic (Jacksonville) Program, Jacksonville, FL

Jackson Memorial Hospital/Jackson Health System Program, Miami, FL

University of Florida Program, Gainesville, FL

Emory University Program, Atlanta, GA

Medical College of Georgia Program, Augusta, GA

McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University Program, Chicago, IL

Rush University Medical Center Program, Chicago, IL

University of Chicago Program, Chicago, IL

University of Kentucky College of Medicine Program, Lexington, KY

Louisiana State University Program, New Orleans, LA

Tulane University Program, New Orleans, LA

Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School Program, Boston, MA

Johns Hopkins University Program, Baltimore, MD

Washington University/B-JH/SLCH Consortium Program, St Louis, MO

University of Mississippi Medical Center Program, Jackson, MS

Duke University Hospital Program, Durham, NC

University of North Carolina Hospitals Program, Chapel Hill, NC

Wake Forest University School of Medicine Program, Winston-Salem, NC

Mount Sinai School of Medicine Program, New York, NY

New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus) Program, New York, NY

New York Presbyterian Hospital (Cornell Campus) Program, New York, NY

New York University School of Medicine Program, New York, NY

Thomas Jefferson University Program, Philadelphia, PA

Medical University of South Carolina Program, Charleston, SC

University of Tennessee/Methodist Healthcare Program, Memphis, TN

Vanderbilt University Program, Nashville, TN

University of Virginia Program, Charlottesville, VA

Virginia Commonwealth University Health System Program, Richmond, VA

University of Washington Program, Seattle, WA

I'm applying heavy on California programs (from there went to school at a top 25 school in the midwest).

~270 step 1 no step 2 yet, lots of research (pubs, presentations), lots of leadership (at a national level), all clinical honors (minus psych), weird in a good way extracurricular hobbies.

I'm applying to 30 radiology programs (mostly coastal academic hospitals) , 17 prelim medicine programs, and 7 TY programs (mostly centered on west coast)

Any thoughts?

OMG why a surgical prelim! Don't you like doing stuff outside of work!

One more question:

For letters to prelims/tys - do you send any rads letters or should I just send my non rads and my other clinical letter in place of my radiology?

OMG why a surgical prelim! Don't you like doing stuff outside of work!

Firm warning: Don't underestimate the competitiveness of a Medicine prelim. Apply broadly to this as well. I SOAPed into my surigical prelim after not applying to enough medicine prelims outside of my home state. The program I am at is no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be, but it is still tough.

Firm warning: Don't underestimate the competitiveness of a Medicine prelim. Apply broadly to this as well. I SOAPed into my surigical prelim after not applying to enough medicine prelims outside of my home state. The program I am at is no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be, but it is still tough.

I'm going to need to add some more I think. As of now I only have 11 TYs and my home surg and med prelims

How many do you recommend applying to? I think I did 17 total prelims and TYs. Seems like it will be impossible to ever interview at all of these places.

Just submitted.......
9 prelims, 8 TYs, 49 Rads = $1080
NRMP = $60
Man they are good at taking my money!

firm warning: Don't underestimate the competitiveness of a medicine prelim. Apply broadly to this as well. I soaped into my surigical prelim after not applying to enough medicine prelims outside of my home state. The program i am at is no where near as bad as i thought it was going to be, but it is still tough.

+1

How many do you recommend applying to? I think I did 17 total prelims and TYs. Seems like it will be impossible to ever interview at all of these places.

I agree with Greg in terms of don't underestimate difficulty of matching intern year, but you make a very good point here. IMO, not worth sacrificing interviews at advanced programs for intern years unless you've already scheduled 10-15 advanced interviews.

I think you would be better off by scheduling 5-10 TYs/prelims at programs that are stretches (cushy or in desirable locations) and schedule 2-3 safeties rather than scheduling 20 interviews at competitive programs.

If your app is strong, you probably don't need more than 5 TYs and a couple prelim safeties. If you're weak and step 1 is 220s, probably won't get a lot of interviews at cushy places unless the location sucks or it's close to your home program, so make sure to apply to more TYs and prelims.

One more tip: if you're worried about matching intern year, ask for prelim interviews at your advanced program interviews. They're usually pretty flexible and able to fit you in the same day as your rads interview. That way you can rack up some prelims without having to schedule them separately (even though prelims at academic institutions can be pretty rigorous, at least you will be less worried about having to SOAP and probably a little less competitive for this same reason).

I'm going to need to add some more I think. As of now I only have 11 TYs and my home surg and med prelims

This is probably fine.. I think more would be overkill. I applied about the same as you, interviewed at 5 cushy TYs and 1 prelim and matched at a very nice TY. And you are a stronger applicant than I was.

One more tip: if you're worried about matching intern year, ask for prelim interviews at your advanced program interviews. They're usually pretty flexible and able to fit you in the same day as your rads interview. That way you can rack up some prelims without having to schedule them separately (even though prelims at academic institutions can be pretty rigorous, at least you will be less worried about having to SOAP and probably a little less competitive for this same reason).

Good to know. :thumbup: I'm assuming you obviously have to apply on ERAS to the prelim programs. So do you just call up the advanced program coordinator beforehand and see if you can schedule a prelim interview on the same day? Or do you have to have an invite from the prelim program and then try?

Good to know. :thumbup: I'm assuming you obviously have to apply on ERAS to the prelim programs. So do you just call up the advanced program coordinator beforehand and see if you can schedule a prelim interview on the same day? Or do you have to have an invite from the prelim program and then try?

You can add programs later but probably easier if you apply in the beginning. If you don't have invite before interview just email PC and convey interest and ask if it would be possible to interview on same day or day before/day after rads interview. Most folks are very nice and will make it happen.