-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 SUNY Buffalo Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Meant to say II yesterday : )
Complete 7/29
Complete 7/29
Thank you for this awesome description!
What time did the day end?
Mine ended around 4:45 and I made it for my 6:15 flight with plenty of time but some people were finished by 3:30. All depends on when your second interview begins (which seemed to be random) and they give you the OK to leave.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mine ended around 4:45 and I made it for my 6:15 flight with plenty of time but some people were finished by 3:30. All depends on when your second interview begins (which seemed to be random) and they give you the OK to leave.
Thank you so much for responding : )
Thank you so much for responding : )
The way it worked on my interview day was that first interviews were given roughly in the order you signed in. Second interviews roughly followed the same order. I was something like sixth or seventh from the bottom and I was the third last to leave. So it may be in your best interests to get to the interview day early, sign in early, so you can leave early. Mr. Rosso also asked around to see if people had earlier flights, and tried to accommodate them.
But it may be different now. Based on what a couple people have PM'ed me, clearly my interview day was an anomaly in which they were working out the kinks in the system.
Hi all! I have a quick question that I could not find a solid answer to. I heard from someone that after the first year, an out of stater would be able to pay instate tuition. Is this true? Thanks!
Yes, NY is one of the states that allows this. There are some ground rules, but it's pretty easy to do.
Yes, NY is one of the states that allows this. There are some ground rules, but it's pretty easy to do.
Thanks so much for this response!
Anyone interviewing on 10/30?
Yup : )
Anyone have any luck rescheduling their interview? I got an II assigned for 10/30 at 8:30 am but I work night shift at a hospital 7p-7a and am working the night before and the night after. I'm IS but live in NYC and need to take a plane. It's too short notice to change my work schedule but I'm hoping they can give me a day a bit later so I can rearrange my schedule. Has anyone requested an alternate day?
congratulations to all with invites and good luck to everyone applying!
congratulations to all with invites and good luck to everyone applying!
Anyone have any luck rescheduling their interview? I got an II assigned for 10/30 at 8:30 am but I work night shift at a hospital 7p-7a and am working the night before and the night after. I'm IS but live in NYC and need to take a plane. It's too short notice to change my work schedule but I'm hoping they can give me a day a bit later so I can rearrange my schedule. Has anyone requested an alternate day?
congratulations to all with invites and good luck to everyone applying!
Yes you can reschedule your interview date but only once.
Is anyone driving from the NYC area to Buffalo for the Oct 16th interview day? If so, I will gladly split the cost of gas. Please let me know asap!
Is anyone driving from the NYC area to Buffalo for the Oct 16th interview day? If so, I will gladly split the cost of gas. Please let me know asap!
That's an awful drive, hot damn.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone interviewing 10/16?
Yes indeed!Hoping to hear something from this SUNY! Really excited about their program and new school in 2016.
I heard this school has random review? Is that true?
"The Admissions Committee will evaluate your application anytime between now and March 31st. It is a random review process."
Yes you can reschedule your interview date but only once.
Thanks! Yeah they said they only interview on Wednesdays so I can reschedule for a Wednesday in November. Hopefully that works out, although it stinks that they only interview one day out of five.
so UB isn't rolling right, meaning all decisions come out at once?
Decisions are rolling. The adcom meets the evening of interview day to discuss all the candidates of that day and make decisions that they give the next day. They should be giving out decisions on Oct 15 for everyone who has already interviewed this cycle.
I'd be interested to see what stats people with II's have? I'm curious if there is really a trend beneath the surface of this "random" review...
I thought buffalo had rolling admissions. I don't get why they said this.
Maybe they're trolling bc they know us pre-meds will have heart attacks to reduce the number of ppl they have to interview 😀
I didn't see notice this until now. I absolutely was not trolling. Call the office of admissions, ask for Mr. Rosso (UB-Med Admissions Counselor), and ask him if applying early gives you an advantage and see what he has to say about that.
If you are invited for an interview there is a spot for you in the class. I applied early, was interviewed in early spring/late winter, accepted the next day. They will not interview you if there is not a spot, period. This is why they use the waiting list heavily at UB. Current students have all confirmed this fact, confirmed admissions is rolling, and confirmed random review, so why is there still a debate-it's like SDNers just want reasons to be stressed lol?
Has anyone checked their status today? Apparently last year on the 13th, you could see "waitlisted" and "rejected" before the 15th. They just couldn't tell you that you were accepted until the 15th (although Mr. Rosso did mention there might be a 'glitch' and you could see "accepted" on the 14th)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=895329&page=4
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=895329&page=4
Has anyone checked their status today? Apparently last year on the 13th, you could see "waitlisted" and "rejected" before the 15th. They just couldn't tell you that you were accepted until the 15th (although Mr. Rosso did mention there might be a 'glitch' and you could see "accepted" on the 14th)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=895329&page=4
Lol mine still says secondary received, despite my interview in late August. Update fail.
Mine still says secondary received as well. It would be nice to have an acceptance in my pocket but I also know UB draws heavily from their WL so I'm keeping realistic expectations for tomorrow night.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know if they ever send emails out if we have a decision up? Or will we have to just keep checking haha
Waitlisted 🙁
Waitlisted also. :-(
Received an email from Mr. Rosso.
Received an email from Mr. Rosso.
My status just changed to waitlisted as well. I realize that they pull heavily from their WL in the end, but this definitely stung quite a bit. IS, non-traditional, GPA 3.6+, MCAT 39+, research throughout undergrad including a publication and a lot of volunteer work. I thought I interviewed pretty well too 🙁
Congrats!!!!!!! 🙂
Congrats to those accepted!
I guess I am a little confused... I thought schools could not release acceptances until tomorrow?
I guess I am a little confused... I thought schools could not release acceptances until tomorrow?
I am confused though. Do they reject anyone at this point or they are just giving acceptances and waitlist?
Waitlist. Stings a bit since I really liked the school and thought my interviews went well, but considering they pull a lot from the WL can't say I'm disappointed. There's still hope!
It says don't anticipate any movement on the WL until April and to contact in February for an update as to where on the WL you fall (each candidate gets a score).
It says don't anticipate any movement on the WL until April and to contact in February for an update as to where on the WL you fall (each candidate gets a score).
.
Last edited:
Waitlisted too. Pretty disappointed. I loved the school and I thought my interviews went well. But...literally seconds after I got the waitlist notification, I got an II from one of my dream reach schools!! So many mixed emotions right now...
Congrats on the II! I'm hoping for a similar thing to happen to me lol but it doesn't look like it will.
Grats to those accepted! Asking for my sister who is staring at her application status in disbelief - does "Current Status: Accepted" mean that she was accepted into Buffalo or that her application is complete or something? Because she hasn't received an email or anything from the admissions office and won't stop worrying about it. 🙄
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted! First of the cycle!
Stats: oos with ties, lm 75+, nontrad with early interview date.
Good luck to those waiting!
Stats: oos with ties, lm 75+, nontrad with early interview date.
Good luck to those waiting!
Last edited:
Congrats, Sisko!
Accepted!!!! First interview of the season and first acceptance of the season. So effing happy
Waitlisted 🙁

