You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 SUNY Upstate Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Second this question.Same here....either this is a really unfortunate accidental email or we are in? are waitlisted students invited to these?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did call when I first got it, but she just told me that a decision has been made and I will be notified soon. When I didn't get the expected "yes you were accepted" after being on hold, I figured she wasn't supposed to tell and didn't press it. I foolishly didn't ask a follow about whether waitlisted students are invited to second look or if the e-mail could have been an error.Someone call them and write back!!
Just found a thread from '04 where HPAs at Upstate were invited to 2nd look:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/upstate-revisit-day.109901/
Last edited:
I hope this eases your mind a little bit. I interviewed 12/11 and found out I was accepted last week. My interview page also went blank (and is still blank) and I received the 2nd look email within the last hour as well. While not certain obviously I think this means you have also been accepted or are on the HPA list. Good luck!!!
I was accepted way back on Oct 15 and I got the second look e-mail today. I will definitely be going. Have any upperclassmen at upstate started a facebook group for the incoming MS1 class?
Congrats and thank you.I hope this eases your mind a little bit. I interviewed 12/11 and found out I was accepted last week. My interview page also went blank (and is still blank) and I received the 2nd look email within the last hour as well. While not certain obviously I think this means you have also been accepted or are on the HPA list. Good luck!!!
Has anybody out there on the HPA gotten a second visit e-mail yet?
http://www.upstate.edu/com/admissions/how_2_apply.php
#10 definitely makes it seem like it's only admitted students but I'm still trying not to read into it!
#10 definitely makes it seem like it's only admitted students but I'm still trying not to read into it!
It is definitely fair to say that if they invited us to this, they think there's a good chance we will be admitted. That's great news and I'm very happy. It's just the disappointment of realizing it wasn't necessarily an acceptance that was kind of a tease.
Last edited:
Is there anyone out there from this cycle or previous cycles that had an HPA status that can tell us whether an invitation to the second visit was given to them while they had this HPA status (only if second visit invites were sent to admitted applicants during this time)?
Last edited:
Hey guys, Im a current MS1 at Upstate. I haven't heard of this happening before (it sounds like someone dug up an old case of this happening though?). Sounds like some sort of technical problem in regards to the order in which they notify people of acceptances and send out follow up emails--or it could be a totally different thing. Wish I could be more helpful!
Ok so I just asked an applicant from last year and they told me that during the period they were on HPA, second look invites were definitely given out to admitted applicants, but this person did not get an invite.
So hopefully this means we have been accepted 😀
Anyway, we should find out soon enough. Good luck to everyone.
So hopefully this means we have been accepted 😀
Anyway, we should find out soon enough. Good luck to everyone.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted via e-mail around 10am today. Hoping my pals that also got the premature second visit e-mail yesterday join me! Good luck everyone.
I'm absolutely ecstatic, first acceptance too!
Same here for all of the above 🙂 congrats!
Same here for all of the above 🙂 congrats!
Same here, interviewed on 12/11 and got the 2nd visit email yesterday. Congrats to you both, and good luck to everyone still waiting!
Congrats! That must have been a very stressful situation for those who received the 2nd-look email before the acceptance.
Is it acceptable to attend the 2nd Visit Day, even if one is not deciding on where to matriculate next year? Maybe just to find out more about your future school and to meet people? Although I doubt I will have the time to attend regardless. 🙁
Is it acceptable to attend the 2nd Visit Day, even if one is not deciding on where to matriculate next year? Maybe just to find out more about your future school and to meet people? Although I doubt I will have the time to attend regardless. 🙁
Accepted via e-mail around 10am today. Hoping my pals that also got the premature second visit e-mail yesterday join me! Good luck everyone.
I'm absolutely ecstatic, first acceptance too!
Ditto to all of that.
Congrats! That must have been a very stressful situation for those who received the 2nd-look email before the acceptance.
Is it acceptable to attend the 2nd Visit Day, even if one is not deciding on where to matriculate next year? Maybe just to find out more about your future school and to meet people? Although I doubt I will have the time to attend regardless. 🙁
Of course. And I don't think medical schools can see any of your other acceptances until after April 30, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
I spoke to the admissions office, and there was a slight mistake in the timing of the emails. Sorry about that; I don't think it'll happen again. I think who received a second look email should have their decision by now.
Congrats to all who were accepted!
As to those who are curious about the 2nd look: it's definitely OK (and I think even encouraged) to attend 2nd look even if you're not sure where you want to get yet. It's another opportunity to get to meet the school, see if you like the atmosphere, and most of all meet some people who might be in your potential graduating class of med school. I did it last year and would highly recommend it to anyone, whether or not you're sure that you're going.
Congrats to all who were accepted!
As to those who are curious about the 2nd look: it's definitely OK (and I think even encouraged) to attend 2nd look even if you're not sure where you want to get yet. It's another opportunity to get to meet the school, see if you like the atmosphere, and most of all meet some people who might be in your potential graduating class of med school. I did it last year and would highly recommend it to anyone, whether or not you're sure that you're going.
About 1PM if you interview for regular admission and about 2PM if you applied for RMSP.Anyone who attended an interview here mind saying approximately when the interview ended?
Huh? For us the MMI began around 1 pm (including a brief intro) and ended about 3:00. But we were supposed to check in at 10:15 am, despite most of the morning being rather casual with a lot of open time mixed in. Maybe the schedule can vary depending on what admissions has going on that day... but that's how it went for us.About 1PM if you interview for regular admission and about 2PM if you applied for RMSP.
Ohh, right! They did say that, for us (and I just interviewed last week), interviewees would either have to arrive at 8:30 or 10:15 am, and we were only told ~2 days beforehand which of the two groups we'd be in. I was in the 10:15 group. So apparently it was similar but I was in the later group. They were generally saying that everyone would be done by about 3:30 pm, since many need to plan for travel accordingly, but it must be that the earlier group finished earlier... we never ran into them.Yes, we were on very different schedules. Our group checked in at 8:30AM and started MMI at around 9:15. I interviewed back in September so maybe that changed things since then.
Can anyone who was accepted tell me if there is anything else to be done at all for financial aid other than sending Upstate the Fafsa?
I think it's Fafsa and the NY state fee assistant program thing, that you can apply to if you're a NY state resident. Not too sure on the details though, and I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet, so I dunno if they go into more detail there. I'm guessing they need parental info on the Fafsa?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed on 11/20 and my interview page hasn't so much as twitched. I sent an email on earlier this week, but. I don't know. I want to call, but I'm kind of scared to. Does anybody know if they jump around, or did they just forget about me?
I'm at upstate now and when I interviewed last year it took them 10 weeks to get back to me and I know of people who interviewed after me that got in before. They could still be deciding but you can give them a call and check. I called a few times just to check that everything was going fine.
Officially Rejected 2/3/2014 at Midnight
Was put on pre-interview hold on Sept 29
Good luck to everyone else!
Was put on pre-interview hold on Sept 29
Good luck to everyone else!
What do you have to lose by interviewing? It shouldn't be too much of an investment being that you are in NY, and hey you might love it, get in, and get a competitive finaid offer. Best case scenario, it's a game changer. Worst case scenario, lost traveling expenses and you don't like it/get in. I would attend it. 🙂I'm a NYS resident and have been accepted to Upstate. Any reason I should still attend my NY Medical College interview? Opinions?
Does anyone know when Upstate will make final decisions on those on per-interview hold?
I was on pre-interview hold and was rejected at like midnight a couple of days ago. So I imagine they're constantly reviewing
I was on pre-interview hold and was rejected at like midnight a couple of days ago. So I imagine they're constantly reviewing
Okay, thanks.
Accepted today (1/8 interview)!!! First acceptance so I'm incredibly ecstatic 🙂
I was just astonished to get invited for an interview. I'm in state. Anyone else going Wednesday 2/12?
were you on pre-interview hold?I was just astonished to get invited for an interview. I'm in state. Anyone else going Wednesday 2/12?
were you on pre-interview hold?
The application was complete as of late August and put on pre-interview hold shortly thereafter, yes.
Hey everyone, just wanted to give you all a heads up that the admissions committee had to cancel their meeting last week due to the weather here in Syracuse so they are a little behind. They are working as hard as they can to get decisions out as quickly as possible!
Did anyone else get a BLS Certification email? Can we go to a CPR class for that or does it have to be BLS?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1Did anyone else get a BLS Certification email? Can we go to a CPR class for that or does it have to be BLS?
Same question. I have the CPR/AED certification, but not the BLS. I sent them an email earlier today.
No later than August 1, 2014. So we need to get it before the classes start.Im not sure what the timeline is for the BLS requirements but we did BLS training in our first year. Does it sound like you need to get it before classes start?
Interviewed 1/29 and just received a rejection letter via e-mail. I thought my interview went very well too :/
Good luck to everyone still waiting.
I interviewed on 1/29 too, and no word yet.
Any news for 1/29 interviews?