2013-2014 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed 10/23 and received my acceptance email on Friday, Dec. 6th.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 10/30, haven't heard anything.

Interviewed on the 30th as well and haven't heard back but it looks like the interview message on my status page has disappeared. From reading last year's thread, I think that means a decision has been made

Interviewed on the 30th as well and haven't heard back but it looks like the interview message on my status page has disappeared. From reading last year's thread, I think that means a decision has been made

Whoa mine did too!! Thanks for pointing that out! I've randomly checked a few times recently and this change is new. Ahhh let's call them. Probably a bad idea... :)

You can check on the same URL you use to access your secondary application. The "Congratulations... interview..." yada yada will have disappeared. I checked mine. I'm experiencing the same thing. Hopefully that bodes well for all of us!

Reactions: 1 users
It is somewhat hokey but usually the disappearing status indicates that decision is coming soon, I think it has something to do with your application being reviewed recently. Doesn't necessarily mean that the decision will be made that day but within a week or so (at least this was true for most people last year--and the year before).

I am guessing that those of us who interviewed in November will be waiting until 2014 to find out whether we have been accepted given the 7 week wait people have been reporting.

I am guessing that those of us who interviewed in November will be waiting until 2014 to find out whether we have been accepted given the 7 week wait people have been reporting.

They told us 3-4 weeks. Though based on this thread and the upcoming holidays, you are probably right.

Check your emails... Accepted! Interviewed on 10/28. 3.8 & 35.

I will definitely be attending Upstate next year and I just wanted to get feedback from current students on the necessity of owning a car. For my particular situation I would need a car for clinical years, but I would love to ditch the insurance bills and gas expenses for two years. Also, my current vehicle is an expensive to maintain, old luxury sports car, with rear-wheel drive. It's essentially useless in snow and from what I hear, the lake effect snow is much worse than the snowfall I currently experience in the Hudson Valley of NY.
So I'll just throw a bunch of questions out there. Do most Upstate MS1 and MS2 own a car? Is living on campus the best way to go car-less and do you really save any money going this route. Is it possible to live off campus and not own a car? How good is the public transportation system? Do most people own awd or 4wd vehicles because of the snowy winters? Would obtaining everyday necessities, like groceries, be difficult without a vehicle? Feel free to answer the specific questions or just comment generaly on the topic. Many thanks!
Also, congratulations to all of those that have been accepted for the c/o 2018! I know its still early in the cycle, but if you have also decided on Upstate, feel free to PM me and chat. I would love to get to know my future classmates before orientation starts. And best of luck to those who are still hoping to recieve an acceptance. Hang in there and stay optimistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone accepted! I interviewed here recently and I really enjoyed it. From the posts here it seems like I won't be hearing back until the end of Jan or even Feb. Really hoping for an acceptance:xf:

Accepted today! For some reason the email said it was sent at 9 this morning but I just received it at 2. Interviewed 10/28 :)

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! I interviewed on that date as well and was accepted!

Hey guys, I have an interview coming up here very soon. Any recommendations on how to prepare for an MMI interview? I have never had one of these so not exactly sure how it works. Do we still have to study the details of our app, and be prepared for the more traditional questions as well (Why Upstate, strenght/weakness, etc)? Thanks

Hey guys, I have an interview coming up here very soon. Any recommendations on how to prepare for an MMI interview? I have never had one of these so not exactly sure how it works. Do we still have to study the details of our app, and be prepared for the more traditional questions as well (Why Upstate, strenght/weakness, etc)? Thanks

Here's a quick copy and paste of what I said about it in the first couple comments: The way it worked last year was there was actually 8 stations (which is a good thing, trust me). For each, you got 1 minute to prepare outside with the prompt, and then you'd walk in, introduce yourself, and then start talking. I think we got like 5 minutes or something, but don't quote me on that. 1 of the stations was an essay, where you'd have a computer to just type however much you could. The others could be either an ethical dilemma, or just a basic interview question, like "why medicine" or one of those. By the second or third station, I (and a lot of other people I talked to) realized that it's not bad at all. You get to formulate your thoughts, you get set (relatively short) times for a conversation about a topic so there isn't ever an awkward "oh man...we don't connect...what'm i gonna talk about for the remaining 20 minutes" situation, and I found that all the interviewers were really nice and interesting in hearing what I had to say rather than trying to grill me about my response.

Basically, study for the MMI the exact same way as you would a normal interview. The only difference is: you know you will get asked 7 different questions, you know that you will have a maximum of 5 or 6 minutes to talk about each topic, you know the gist of the questions that are going to get asked, and plus you get some time to think about what you want to say on the topic before you even walk in and introduce yourself. There will be 2-3 ethical dilemma type questions, which some people get worried about. For those, it's not about getting the right answer, but more about the thought process. Just give a reasonable answer, and be able to back up your answer with coherent and ethical train of thought to show that you've given some thought to the question.

Most importantly, like any other interview, just be yourself. I can imagine that for an admissions officer who's been doing this for years, it's pretty easy to spot someone who's throwing up a facade. Upstate, like many other schools, highly values the interview portion. They want to see if you'd fit in with the class, and that's impossible to do if you're wearing a mask.

If anyone wants to meet up and chill and talk before their interview, PM me and let me know. I live in Geneva too, which is where many of the 1st years live, and wouldn't mind showing you around.

I will definitely be attending Upstate next year and I just wanted to get feedback from current students on the necessity of owning a car. For my particular situation I would need a car for clinical years, but I would love to ditch the insurance bills and gas expenses for two years. Also, my current vehicle is an expensive to maintain, old luxury sports car, with rear-wheel drive. It's essentially useless in snow and from what I hear, the lake effect snow is much worse than the snowfall I currently experience in the Hudson Valley of NY.
So I'll just throw a bunch of questions out there. Do most Upstate MS1 and MS2 own a car? Is living on campus the best way to go car-less and do you really save any money going this route. Is it possible to live off campus and not own a car? How good is the public transportation system? Do most people own awd or 4wd vehicles because of the snowy winters? Would obtaining everyday necessities, like groceries, be difficult without a vehicle? Feel free to answer the specific questions or just comment generaly on the topic. Many thanks!
Also, congratulations to all of those that have been accepted for the c/o 2018! I know its still early in the cycle, but if you have also decided on Upstate, feel free to PM me and chat. I would love to get to know my future classmates before orientation starts. And best of luck to those who are still hoping to recieve an acceptance. Hang in there and stay optimistic.

Congrats on your acceptance! The car topic is a big one, but first I'll address living situation. Most first years live in Geneva Tower (owned by Upstate), which is definitely walkable (10 minutes) to class. Other popular places include Madison Tower and Jefferson Tower, which are both right across the street. I'd say these are your only choices if you want to go car-less. Geneva Tower is more expensive than the other two, but I highly suggest it for your first year. First of all, it's really really nice, having been built like 2 years ago. But honestly, the most important factor is the social aspect: basically for orientation, and getting to know people. All the events were like "meet at Geneva at this time." First year is about making friends and meeting people, and it's nice because most people live in Geneva for their first year, and you can always just hop on the elevator to visit people.

Back to the transportation: first of all, public transportation...don't even bother thinking about using it. that being said, hands down there is no NEED for a car at Upstate, at least from what I have seen so far. Most people do own one though, myself included, and I think it's great just for the freedom to go wherever you want to go, whenever you want to. This not only includes groceries and stuff, but I've visited Ithaca several times, and Boston once, and sometimes I drive down to NYC to visit family. For groceries, I have a friend who doesn't own a car, and he says that every time he needs to go grocery shopping, there's someone with a car that needs to go anyways, so he just tags along. If you don't want to rely on that, I have another friend who just takes the zipcar every time he needs it. It's really convenient, parked right outside of Geneva Tower, and apparently you can just reserve it on your phone (there's an app for that...). It's something like 10 dollars for an hour, which is really all you need if you're just going grocery shopping, and you don't need to worry about gas. I'll leave it to you to calculate insurance+parking cost vs how often you're going to use the zipcar, while factoring in the intangible cost of freedom. As a side note, parking at Geneva Tower is 50 a month for outdoor (which I suggest) and 70 for indoor. I own a 2013 subaru and despite having a new car, I chose outdoor because it's literally right outside of Geneva, whereas you'd have to walk ~3minutes to get to the indoor lot (doesn't sound like much, but imagine trudging in snow w/ groceries). Geneva also plows the parking lot, and and there's a guard that makes rounds every 15 minutes or so in the enclosed parking lot.

If you do go with a car though, I'd suggest getting a new car. Definitely AWD, as the snow gets pretty bad, but I haven't had to get snow tires. I was thinking of buying a used Audi for about the same amount, and am SO glad I went with the Subaru. 38-40 mpg on regular unleaded, paying less on insurance, and it drives extremely well.

Please let me know if you have any questions! Also, the same offer stands for people who have been accepted. If you're ever in the Syracuse area and want to talk about anything and get to know a few current Upstate MS1s, feel free to PM me to meet up. Congrats on being accepted, and good luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm on a pre-interview hold.. Does anyone know if I can submit a letter of continuing interest?

I'm on a pre-interview hold.. Does anyone know if I can submit a letter of continuing interest?

I did not send one and got off pre-int hold, so I am not sure if that will help you out. maybe someone else here knows

I did not send one and got off pre-int hold, so I am not sure if that will help you out. maybe someone else here knows

How long did it take for you to get off the pre-int hold?

For accepted students to the Syracuse campus, is there any forms/deposits we need to quickly submit? There didn't seem like there was anything in the packet that required immediate attention.

Does anyone remember the name of the woman with brown hair who introduced us to the MMI format and took us to the interviews?

I interviewed 11/20 and got an acceptance email yesterday! So excited!

Reactions: 3 users
My interview status disappeared. Conventional wisdom says that this means a decision is being made. So nervous...an acceptance here would be amazing. :xf::xf::xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected from pre-interview hold just now, OOS, 3.6-3.8, 31-34

Rejected from pre-interview hold just now, OOS, 3.6-3.8, 31-34

Mee too.. Similar stats, but in-state. Also I sent a update letter a week ago, not sure if it is a coincidence but I thought I would mention it.

Mee too.. Similar stats, but in-state. Also I sent a update letter a week ago, not sure if it is a coincidence but I thought I would mention it.
Haha I sent an update last week too.. let's hope it's not the update letter :p

Oh, my people...same e-mail here. I didn't send in any update letters, if that makes anyone feel even a teeny-tiny bit better?
Haha that's does make me feel a little better, at least it wasn't that update letter's fault. :laugh:
Man, I got a rejection from Downstate just now. Upstate yesterday and Stony brook on Friday. My chances of going to New York for med school are looking slim...

Haha that's does make me feel a little better, at least it wasn't that update letter's fault. :laugh:
Man, I got a rejection from Downstate just now. Upstate yesterday and Stony brook on Friday. My chances of going to New York for med school are looking slim...

You are a foxy Californian though. That has to count for something. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Are there still interviewees from Oct/Nov that are in limbo?

12/11 here, just curious if I have any shot of hearing back soon.

Are there still interviewees from Oct/Nov that are in limbo?

12/11 here, just curious if I have any shot of hearing back soon.

I think you probably are gonna be waiting at least another month.