2013-2014 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My stats did not change at all. I added some more clinical experiences but that's about it. I also redid my entire AMCAS. IMHO I think the biggest difference was my interview.

I think interview is the biggest part too. Looking back, although my stats were lower last year, I had the chance to prove myself at the interview and just didn't do so. This year, with higher stats, it helped with getting more interviews, but the way I approached the interviews were different as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I interviewed on September 18th, and called because I couldn't take the waiting.

Apparently, a member of their admissions staff passed away, so all decisions will be pushed back a few weeks. :( Poor Upstate!

Members don't see this ad :)
We were made aware of this on our interview 9/11, the person passed away 9/10 (rip) but they did say that we should still hear back on the 15th. Not sure what's going on but we've had responses for the 18th already. Maybe just wait it out a few more days/weeks. Easier said than done of course.

Hey guys! I interviewed on September 18th, and called because I couldn't take the waiting.

Apparently, a member of their admissions staff passed away, so all decisions will be pushed back a few weeks. :( Poor Upstate!

Weird...I interviewed on 9/18 too but I got a decision on 10/15. I'm sure you'll hear soon.

I got my MD/PhD application complete like two months ago. Still didn't hear anything back. Anyone on the same boat?

I broke down and sent a status inquiry email; I hope they don't find my neuroticism overly annoying.

To those who received the acceptance packet in the mail, am I correct in assuming that all we are required to do at this point is go online and accept the offer and pay the deposit? Am I being neurotic in thinking I'm missing something?

To those who received the acceptance packet in the mail, am I correct in assuming that all we are required to do at this point is go online and accept the offer and pay the deposit? Am I being neurotic in thinking I'm missing something?

To answer your second question... Yeahhh probably. Haha, but yes I think that's all

Questions for anyone currently attending SUNY Upstate who was on a high priority alternate list.
1) How long was it before you were accepted (date/month) ?
2) Did all those who were on high-priority list were accepted that year?
3) Were you able to find your chance of being accepted from admission office prior to receiving your acceptance offer?
Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
I am a re-applicant with mcat 34 (last year's mcat score was 30) and GPA 3.8 who has been placed on the high priority list. Just trying to figure out my chances.

Last edited:
MS1 here. Congrats to everyone accepted, I bet it's a huge relief!

I just wanted to post something quick about the curriculum changes. Anatomy will not be structured the same way next year. I think I heard that it's going back to not being an 8-week class (this is a good change, trust me).

If anyone has any questions about the school or the area in general, please feel free to ask. It seems like I'm not the only MS1 checking this site when I randomly think about the agonizing experience I had last year around this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
MS1 here. Congrats to everyone accepted, I bet it's a huge relief!

I just wanted to post something quick about the curriculum changes. Anatomy will not be structured the same way next year. I think I heard that it's going back to not being an 8-week class (this is a good change, trust me).

If anyone has any questions about the school or the area in general, please feel free to ask. It seems like I'm not the only MS1 checking this site when I randomly think about the agonizing experience I had last year around this time.

So, how will anatomy be structured next year then?

Questions for anyone currently attending SUNY Upstate who was on a high priority alternate list.
1) How long was it before you were accepted (date/month) ?
2) Did all those who were on high-priority list were accepted that year?
3) Were you able to find your chance of being accepted from admission office prior to receiving your acceptance offer?
Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
I am a re-applicant with mcat 34 (last year's mcat score was 30) and GPA 3.9 who has been placed on the high priority list. Just trying to figure out my chances.

Your stats are amazing! Hope you hear back soon since you're certainly above average :) I vaguely remember them saying during my interview day that the majority of people on high-priority list gets accepted. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Also does anybody know if summer anatomy course is still going to be offered for 2015, or is it discontinued? The website still lists it, but I remember a MS1 student saying they were overhauling it.

Those of you who have received your acceptance packet, what day did you interview? Still haven't received mine :(

is anyone who was accepted here really leaning towards attending this school? I withdrew my application everywhere else except other SUNYs, GW, and Rochester. I am really thinking that Upstate is where I'll end up.

is anyone who was accepted here really leaning towards attending this school? I withdrew my application everywhere else except other SUNYs, GW, and Rochester. I am really thinking that Upstate is where I'll end up.

I've gotten into 3 schools so far and out of them, Upstate is where I'm going right now. Definitely a great school id be happy to go to, but I'm still waiting on a few others.

I interviewed on 10.16, I'm anxiously waiting to hear back. I'd almost certainly go if I got in.

Yup. 99% sure this is where I'll be going!

My status page has gone blank (where it used to say congrats on interview), does anyone who's already received a decision remember what their status page looked like before receiving an email/how long it took? I interviewed in late September.

Received an acceptance email 10/24, but have not gotten an acceptance packet yet. Just curious for those accepted how long did it take to receive your packet?

Anyone who interviewed 10/2 hear back yet? I remember her saying to let her know if we hadn't heard back after 4 weeks. Hm...

If you do let us know what they say please XD
Finally broke down and called admissions office again. After giving my amcas id, I was told that a decision has not been made on me as of yet. I'm not exactly sure if this is good or bad since I interviewed on 9/11, but I guess it's better than a rejection. He didn't mention when I would hear a decision.....guess we just have to continue to wait :(

Received an acceptance email 10/24, but have not gotten an acceptance packet yet. Just curious for those accepted how long did it take to receive your packet?
I was accepted 10/15 and never received my acceptance packet; I emailed admissions and they had sent it to my previous address. It might be worth making sure it was sent to the right address.

Good luck to everyone and try to stay positive during the wait. I interviewed 09/23 and did not hear for over a month, so I started to lose hope. Then I received my acceptance email on 10/31.
I have a big decision in front of me but I will find it difficult to pass up on SUNY Upstate as an upstate NY resident. Also interviewed for RMED and one of the supported rural sites is the hospital that I currently work at. Quite an opportunity!

Good luck to everyone and try to stay positive during the wait. I interviewed 09/23 and did not hear for over a month, so I started to lose hope. Then I received my acceptance email on 10/31.
I have a big decision in front of me but I will find it difficult to pass up on SUNY Upstate as an upstate NY resident. Also interviewed for RMED and one of the supported rural sites is the hospital that I currently work at. Quite an opportunity!

Thanks for the positive message and congrats on that opportunity! :)

Yeah, am debating b/w Upstate and Vermont...so far, Upstate has a slight lead

Hey guys! Upstate M4 here. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back. I know it's stressful, but try not to freak out too much. Feel free to PM me with any questions! I'm doing residency interviews at the moment, so forgive me if it takes me a little long to get back to you. Also, I haven't been keeping too appraised of curriculum changes, but I'm sure there are other Upstaters around here that know more about that stuff than me. Good luck!

If you guys have interviews coming up I highly recommend staying overnight with a student host if you need to spend the night. I learned so much more about the school, the atmosphere, etc. from my experience. The MMI is nothing too scary! I actually enjoyed it (after the first 2 stations).

Hello,
I kind of applied late and that's why I only got a email few days back from the school, they've put me on a Pre-Interview HOLD. I wanted to see if there are any students who've experienced the same thing and gotten an interview after that hold. I've a 31 MCAT, a 3.66 cum gpa and a 3.58 sci gpa.

Reactions: 1 user
Got in! Interviewed on 9/23, accepted on 10/24. Really happy, but still need to take biochem to finish up the prereq. Good luck to everyone!

Rejected last night! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back

Hey guys,
applying a little late.. but confused about this question:
"Which medical specialty are you thinking about pursuing at this point?"

Are we expected to just say what the specialty is, e.g. neurology, or should we give reasoning behind it (essay format)?
I noticed that there is no word/character limit so I am confused.

Thank you!

Sorry to hear that; when did you interview, if you don't mind my asking?
9/4, so I assume the really long reply time was due to them being deadlocked or unsure how to decide. I still have a few post-interview decisions I'm waiting for so while it is disappointing, it doesn't sting nearly as bad as if this was the only place I had interviewed at so far. It's a great school in a beautiful area so congrats to everyone who got in!

Does anyone know if they manually mark your supplemental application as received in the checklist on the application page? I submitted mine, but it doesn't have the date marked by 'supplemental application" and it is the only thing they are missing. I haven't received an email telling me they've received, but maybe they only send an email once your application is complete?