2013-2014 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have any other 10/2 interviewers heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Any other applicants besides myself on the waiting list?

Members don't see this ad :)
To anyone who interviewed at or attends this school, what would you say is special about SUNY Upstate that distinguishes it from other medical schools in the area? In other words, if you had to answer an essay questions that said "Why SUNY Upstate?" how would you respond. I'm having trouble getting a flavor of this school from their website. What special activities, programs, or curricula are offered here?

Accepted!! Just got the email. Interviewed 10/7. So excited!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted as well! Interviewed 9/25!!!! 6 wait lists later its my first acceptance in 2 cycles!!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted as well! Interviewed 9/25!!!! 6 wait lists later its my first acceptance in 2 cycles!!

congrats bro! I also got into upstate! It's crazy after we were both left off NYMC WL last cycle haha. woot woot! :clap:

Congrats, guys. Anything from anyone who interviewed on 10.16?

Accepted just now! Interviewed 9/11....well worth the wait. Good luck to all those still waiting.

Yes, I am on "high priority wait list". I have no idea when they will start accepting from waitlist.
Did you send them a "letter of intent/interest"? I am wondering should I send the letter now or wait for April or May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!! Interviewed early October. IS. Surprising since I thought I bombed the MMI.

Interviewed on 9/11 and was accepted! I am interested in the school and the facilities were quite nice. Did anyone else have any reserves about the city though? Or was that just me?

Interviewed on 9/11 and was accepted! I am interested in the school and the facilities were quite nice. Did anyone else have any reserves about the city though? Or was that just me?

Congrats man, I was also accepted.

IMO, Syracuse as a city wasn't very appealing to me either, but I didn't get to see much of it. Additionally, Upstate is literally across the street from Syracuse Uni. So that part of the city looked pretty clean.

They are also building a new Upstate Cancer Center adjacent to the hospital, so I thought tht was pretty cool. It may give future students new opportunities for research etc.

Congrats man, I was also accepted.

IMO, Syracuse as a city wasn't very appealing to me either, but I didn't get to see much of it. Additionally, Upstate is literally across the street from Syracuse Uni. So that part of the city looked pretty clean.

They are also building a new Upstate Cancer Center adjacent to the hospital, so I thought tht was pretty cool. It may give future students new opportunities for research etc.

I'm from NYC, so my expectations etc. may not be in line with people from other locations. Having said that, Syracuse is definitely a college town. If you're looking for big city living and stuff, this definitely isn't it. However, I remember when I interviewed here I really got a very negatively skewed view of the city on my little drive around because I didn't really know where to go. Up on that side of Syracuse by Upstate is SU. On the other side of the freeway is the downtown area, where there are bars are and restaurants and nightlife and stuff. So depending on where you went when you were here, you may have gotten a skewed view. But, it still is what it is.

I'm from NYC, so my expectations etc. may not be in line with people from other locations. Having said that, Syracuse is definitely a college town. If you're looking for big city living and stuff, this definitely isn't it. However, I remember when I interviewed here I really got a very negatively skewed view of the city on my little drive around because I didn't really know where to go. Up on that side of Syracuse by Upstate is SU. On the other side of the freeway is the downtown area, where there are bars are and restaurants and nightlife and stuff. So depending on where you went when you were here, you may have gotten a skewed view. But, it still is what it is.

If I end up at Upstate am def. gonna try and make it to some Syracuse bball games especially when they play duke and such

So, how will anatomy be structured next year then?
sorry about the late reply. I hear it'll be structured similar to last year. this year they tried to fit anatomy into the first two units of the year, and students thought it was a bit rushed and not as thorough, so they're reversing that change.

Hello,
I kind of applied late and that's why I only got a email few days back from the school, they've put me on a Pre-Interview HOLD. I wanted to see if there are any students who've experienced the same thing and gotten an interview after that hold. I've a 31 MCAT, a 3.66 cum gpa and a 3.58 sci gpa.
Hey! Received the same message last night. Thought it was just a polite way of saying you are rejected :( Should we be hopeful? My mcats were 30 and gpa 3.81

The message on my page that previously said "Congratulations on being selected for an interview!" just disappeared....

The message on my page that previously said "Congratulations on being selected for an interview!" just disappeared....

Have you gotten the email yet? That was happening to me too - I kept selecting a date and the message (and my saved date) would disappear by later in the day. I called and she told me that after the system sent the official interview email, the page should work fine. It did!

Sorry, didn't realize. I did too. Maybe we're done with the status page? Not sure how they let you know about the decisions. Anyone?

Thanks!

They email, and then send the package in the mail later.

How long did it take for the acceptance package to arrive after receiving the e-mail?

It's been nearly a week now for me and still nothing.

Got put on hold. This hurts

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Received the same message last night. Thought it was just a polite way of saying you are rejected :( Should we be hopeful? My mcats were 30 and gpa 3.81

I applied last year and they did the same thing then. I am hopeful my Stats are pretty much the same MCAT 31, Gpa cum 3.66 (lower than yours). I am hoping that since I improved my MCAT score they'd give me a second shot, let's see. I was checking the board from pervious board and some of these students got in.

Yes, I am on "high priority wait list". I have no idea when they will start accepting from waitlist.
Did you send them a "letter of intent/interest"? I am wondering should I send the letter now or wait for April or May.

I'm planning on sending a letter of intent, just not sure when. Hopefully the list will be finalized soon. This application purgatory is doing a number on my psyche.

Gko said:
----------------------------
I have so far 2 acceptances, both from out of state schools. However, I would love to attend a school in my own state because of coast of attendance, quality of education and short travel time from my home.

Last edited:
From the students that actually go here, how likely is one to here back after getting a pre-interview hold. What percentage of students fall into this category? Does this school actually reject people pre-interview or is pre-interview hold a category that they fit everyone they don't interview?

+1 on pre-interview hold.

+1 .. It be interesting to know how many applicants get put on this pre-interview hold.. and how many of them actually get interviews

Interviewed on 10/28. Tomorrow marks 4 weeks for me. Should I give them a call? I know they gave us a timeframe of 3-4 weeks and invited us to inquire if we haven't head back by then.

Pre-interview hold is not a rejection. I know of several people getting off pre-interview hold and getting an interview as well as people who have eventually been accepted. Its not a good place to be, absolutely, but doesnt mean rejection.

Any MD/PhD applicants in here? I got the "Application is complete and now being screened" email on 10/10 and haven't heard anything since. Anyone else in this boat?

Pre-interview hold is not a rejection. I know of several people getting off pre-interview hold and getting an interview as well as people who have eventually been accepted. Its not a good place to be, absolutely, but doesnt mean rejection.

Hmm...thanks for that perspective.

Did anyone call 4 weeks after their interview?

I applied last year and they did the same thing then. I am hopeful my Stats are pretty much the same MCAT 31, Gpa cum 3.66 (lower than yours). I am hoping that since I improved my MCAT score they'd give me a second shot, let's see. I was checking the board from pervious board and some of these students got in.

were you invited for an interview later in the cycle last year? And good luck :) hope we get an interview.

Interviewed mid-October, got High Priority Alternate today. Many have said that it's a pretty good chance that an HPA will get accepted later ... I'm hoping so.

Interviewed Oct. 16, accepted today! Good luck to everyone waiting

Accepted yesterday! I was really impressed with Upstate, and I am super excited! First acceptance too! Interviewed 10/16

Anyone else hoping for news today...? Interviewed 10/28.

Yeah. Looking at the timeframe for the previously accepted applicants, it's about our time!

Thought for sure that end of Oct. interviewees would hear by now. Anyone?