2013-2014 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, I got coffee and a muffin. Lets do this.

Members don't see this ad.

You're right. My mistake.. just wasted my morning as well as a few of yours.. sorry! Fingers crossed it will be the same time or earlier this year.

You're right. My mistake.. just wasted my morning as well as a few of yours.. sorry! Fingers crossed it will be the same time or earlier this year.

It's probably bad if we call right?

Getting anxious :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Welp, after them offering me an interview only 9 days after my app was complete, and (what I thought) was a successful interview on 9/27, I have been placed on hold. Not even the good hold, but the alternate hold. Wow.

33/3.6c/3.5s

Welp, after them offering me an interview only 9 days after my app was complete, and (what I thought) was a successful interview on 9/27, I have been placed on hold. Not even the good hold, but the alternate hold. Wow.

33/3.6c/3.5s
Rejected post (what I thought was a successful) interview, if it makes you feel better.

3.5/3.5/37

It's nice to be in good company with someone with freaking awesome stats, but I'm saddened that you were rejected. WTF?

Accepted :D So Happy

3.55 cGPA/3.6 (sGPA)/35 MCAT

IS

My heart. Stopped.

Good luck to all the other applicants waiting to hear back :luck:

And sorry to hear about some rejections -- I feel that schools sometimes reject people based on "fit", and you just need to find the right one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the moral of the story here is that numbers are only a part of what gets you in to a medical school. Good numbers don't mean much if the other aspects of your application don't fit with what the school wants to see.

It was my first interview haha, and I wasn't as well composed as my other ones. Disappointed because I liked upstate but at least I still have hope elsewhere where I would be happy.

I think the moral of the story here is that numbers are only a part of what gets you in to a medical school. Good numbers don't mean much if the other aspects of your application don't fit with what the school wants to see.
I hope very badly that what this school was looking for is a bit different from what the other schools are looking for, then. I figured all the research and publications plus community service I had would be appealing... oh well.

Congrats to all those accepted!

It was my first interview haha, and I wasn't as well composed as my other ones. Disappointed because I liked upstate but at least I still have hope elsewhere where I would be happy.
You're golden. I'm sure at the end your problem will be picking which school to go to.

Probably overqualified. I'm sure most of you guys will get into way better schools than Upstate, don't worry!

That could very well be the case! As you're probably in/above the top 10th percentile range for this school. Schools want to accept applicants who are willing to accept. If they know someone picked the school as a safety, it could actually hurt their chances.

I'm sure with a 37 and such a high cGPA you're bound to get some love, don't lose hope! :luck:

Don't lose hope guys, Upstate is just an average school. Am just happy I won't have to pay OOS tuition

Anyone here that got an email either way interview on 9/11?

Getting nervous that I still haven't received an email...

Or anyone here interview on 9/11 and not receive an email?

Thanks

Last edited:
That could very well be the case! As you're probably in/above the top 10th percentile range for this school. Schools want to accept applicants who are willing to accept. If they know someone picked the school as a safety, it could actually hurt their chances.

I'm sure with a 37 and such a high cGPA you're bound to get some love, don't lose hope! :luck:
You're so positive. I wish I could just bottle you up and carry you around with me :)

Congrats on the acceptance! Upstate really does seem like a great school, especially if you are at all interested in research.

Rejected post interview 37S >3.2 uGrad GPA >3.5 grad GPA

I interviewed 9/11 and nothing yet. I'm pretty sure we were the second day of interviews.

So does that mean we aren't hearing today? I remember them telling us we would likely hear today but perhaps only those from 9/4 are hearing today?

I think they're still sending them out. The posts have been pretty regular every few minutes. I guess we should get worried when there's a lull in updates

So does that mean we aren't hearing today? I remember them telling us we would likely hear today but perhaps only those from 9/4 are hearing today?

I interview on 9/18 so you guys should hear soon too

Guess they went on lunch break or something. Did anyone on 9/11 interview date hear back? I remember Jennifer saying that a beloved ad com member passed away, not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

Guess they went on lunch break or something. Did anyone on 9/11 interview date hear back? I remember Jennifer saying that a beloved ad com member passed away, not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

I did! Got the email around 11AM. I'm sure you will know soon!

Thanks StinkyTofu.. I've been waiting since I woke up at 8 something.. could barely sleep last night with all the dreams of acceptance and rejection and everything in between. Getting anxious but hey, gotta learn to be patient.

Would love to hear back one way or another, I interviewed 9/4 haha.

Accepted! Man waiting for that email was agonizing.

Im an MS1 as well and just wanted to offer a couple words....

First, anatomy was an 8 week course (not 6 as mentioned above). That being said, it is still a ton of material in not very much time. Just wanted to clarify that. Additionally, in regards to people being rejected due to be overqualified, I can say that that does not happen. Exceptionally high stats are never viewed in the light of " X will probably go somewhere else anyway...." when it comes to decision making on the status of an applicant.

This is a super exciting (and stressful) process for everyone so best of luck to those still waiting. DONT CHECK SDN ALL THE TIME (or at least try not to)! It can be overwhelming--or it was for me--at times.

If you guys have any questions please ask away and congrats to those who have been accepted!

ACCEPTED!!!! Just got the email

ACCEPTED!!!!! Literally shocked and thrilled, this was my top choice.

Accepted :D So Happy

3.55 cGPA/3.6 (sGPA)/35 MCAT

IS

My heart. Stopped.

Good luck to all the other applicants waiting to hear back :luck:

And sorry to hear about some rejections -- I feel that schools sometimes reject people based on "fit", and you just need to find the right one.

Yo yo yo, accepteddd!!!! 3.86/32 (IS)

Accepted! Man waiting for that email was agonizing.

Congrats to all of you!

Im an MS1 as well and just wanted to offer a couple words....

First, anatomy was an 8 week course (not 6 as mentioned above). That being said, it is still a ton of material in not very much time. Just wanted to clarify that. Additionally, in regards to people being rejected due to be overqualified, I can say that that does not happen. Exceptionally high stats are never viewed in the light of " X will probably go somewhere else anyway...." when it comes to decision making on the status of an applicant.

This is a super exciting (and stressful) process for everyone so best of luck to those still waiting. DONT CHECK SDN ALL THE TIME (or at least try not to)! It can be overwhelming--or it was for me--at times.

If you guys have any questions please ask away and congrats to those who have been accepted!
Sorry I was confusing. I meant that we had six weeks of lecture and lab time to learn it....Then there was each week before the exam when we did not have any lecture or lab.

accepted today!!!! interviewed 9/11. I'm also a reapplicant and this is my first MD acceptance!! this is the happiest day of my life :D. was placed on hold list here last year

Reactions: 1 user
accepted today!!!! interviewed 9/11. I'm also a reapplicant and this is my first MD acceptance!! this is the happiest day of my life :D. was placed on hold list here last year

Congrats!!! Love to see reapplicants get in :)

Congrats! I am also a reapplicant and this is my first MD acceptance as well! I was on two waitslists at other schools last year with no cigar. This year, I didn't reapply to one of those schools and the other one I interviewed at last week. Fingers crossed I'll get luck with them this time around. Looks like Upstate took a liking to you this time around! Congrats again! Mind sharing what changes you made to your app?

Congrats! I am also a reapplicant and this is my first MD acceptance as well! I was on two waitslists at other schools last year with no cigar. This year, I didn't reapply to one of those schools and the other one I interviewed at last week. Fingers crossed I'll get luck with them this time around. Looks like Upstate took a liking to you this time around! Congrats again! Mind sharing what changes you made to your app?

My stats did not change at all. I added some more clinical experiences but that's about it. I also redid my entire AMCAS. IMHO I think the biggest difference was my interview.

Do you remember if you were on the high-priority waitlist or the regular waitlist?