2013-2014 Underdawgs Thread ( Lets get it)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
cGPA ~ 3.4
sGPA ~ 3.1

MCAT TBD 5/30/13

Members don't see this ad.

Another underdog.

MCAT 27 (8PS/10VR/9BS)
GPA CUM: 3.18
GPA SCI: 3.22

Hopefully some school this year has a little veteran love.

Members don't see this ad :)
KCUMB is off my list then... I thought most schools had a 3.0 c/sGPA cut off. So they wont send secondary to an applicant that has 3.2 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA and 30+ MCAT...That is weird for a DO school

I thought KCUMB did a best of three. That is, if you're okay in at least two of their three pre-secondary screening criteria, you'll get a secondary.

I was sub 3.25 in cGPA and sGPA and got screened out.

Trying to get past all those cutoffs myself with a 3.159 cGPA/3.066 sGPA/27M

I applied late last cycle (verified in early/mid november) got a few secondaries back, which means I must have met some of the cut offs, but no ii's :thumbdown: Looking to apply much earlier, with better stats, EC's, LoR's, and PS.

Did you apply with the same stats last cycle?

Last cycle I had a 3.101 cGPA and 3.125 sGPA with the same MCAT. I was told by many SDNers that it was worth a shot to apply as late as I did, but that my chances would be slim given that I'm in the dawghouse.

I recalculated this cycle's stats and came up with 3.172cGPA/ 3.218sGPA with the pending grades from this semester.

And with a (hopeful) 4.0 this summer, I could bump up to 3.28c/3.322s

Last edited:
3.25 s & cum gpa mcat 6-20-13.... Lets do this!!!!

Because this is a topic looming around SDN, I just read on the RVU-COM site that they have a screen of MCAT subsection scores of <6.

To the previous poster asking about a VR=5, this would be one school you may not want to apply to just to save money.

I thought KCUMB did a best of three. That is, if you're okay in at least two of their three pre-secondary screening criteria, you'll get a secondary.

I was sub 3.25 in cGPA and sGPA and got screened out.

Thanks for letting me know...They should say that on their website...

Members don't see this ad :)
Get out. Now.

tumblr_m5y5twPapT1qjehm8.gif

cGPA = ~3.45
sGPA = ~3.50
MCAT = 28 (PS 11, V 8, BS 9)

I'm 26 y.o. Virginia resident
My GPAs include a few retakes
I have a DO LOR
In a graduate science program (gGPA currently 4.0)

Seriously. Unless you score less than 23 or bomb a specific section (less than 6), then you are not an underdog. Besides, you can retake. Good thing that we took the mcat yesterday, so we could still sign up for a retake in August if we are not satisfied with our score.

Keep your hopes up, man. I know the exam yesterday caught us off guard but have faith in yourself. Honestly, regardless of knowing that I performed on the sciences a lot worse than I should've, the only thing that is worrying me is verbal because it is a total crapshot for me. However, if your verbal skills are good, then you shouldn't worry too much.

Anyone know the earliest schools send our offers--or even the earliest schools send out interviews?

The earlier I've heard and experienced was from LECOM-B. I sent out my app in June I believe and was scheduled an interview in september. They're fast.

cGPA = ~3.45
sGPA = ~3.50

I have a DO LOR

You're pretty much above average in every catagory.

I think I'll be in here pretty soon. Looking to apply with around a cGPA 3.52 sGPA 3.13 and I took the MCAT yesterday.

I was averaging a 25 on the AAMC pretests. I think I pulled a 26 but who knows, maybe in a month I'll see a 12 :eek:

I think I'll be in here pretty soon. Looking to apply with around a cGPA 3.52 sGPA 3.13 and I took the MCAT yesterday.

I was averaging a 25 on the AAMC pretests. I think I pulled a 26 but who knows, maybe in a month I'll see a 12 :eek:

Statistically, if you were averaging 25, it is highly unlikely that you scored less than 23. I took the test yesterday too, and I know how hard it was.

Sure, I'll bite: 3.13cGPA/3.13sGPA/34 MCAT. Non-trad applicant with a graduate business degree.

cGPA = ~3.45
sGPA = ~3.50

I have a DO LOR

Your numbers are pretty solid for DO.

Sure, I'll bite: 3.13cGPA/3.13sGPA/34 MCAT. Non-trad applicant with a graduate business degree.

You'll get a lot of interviews. My GPAs were close to yours with a significant drop off in my MCAT score.

(All advice given assuming ECs are pretty good)

I think i replied to you before, wasn't your MCAT a 32? Or did you retake

Yes! I just retook it in mar. It was a 32 before. I managed to improve 2 points in verbal, so it gives me an extra out if this cycle doesn't pan out so I can apply to a few Ontario schools as well.

Look at the recent MCAT Threads.

Its funny, people always say it gets harder. When I took it last year, everyone swore up and down in the threads of how hard it was that time around and everything. I didn't really notice a difference. The subject matter seemed to have more depth than the FLs, but its not like it was all of a sudden outside the scope of the material.

Its funny, people always say it gets harder. When I took it last year, everyone swore up and down in the threads of how hard it was that time around and everything. I didn't really notice a difference. The subject matter seemed to have more depth than the FLs, but its not like it was all of a sudden outside the scope of the material.

Mmhmm--though this trend seems quite extreme. One guy scored 10 pts below his AAMC avg. Scary :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Seeing as how the MCAT seems to have gotten much more difficult.

My expectations for a 29---have now dropped to a 26-27. :mad::mad:

Don't lose your motivation. Stay focused. The mcat hasn't necessary gotten harder, but it definitely metamorphosed into a different beast. On the recent mcat, it's highly unlikely to come across questions that could be answered purely based on memory, without some inference on your part. You need to train yourself to be able to analyse things and relate concepts to one another. When it comes to the BS section, AAMC FL's 7-8 are nothing like the new mcat style. You will no longer have those typical passages that explain a cellular or physiological process and ask you questions that require you to apply background knowledge to solve. Every bio passage I had yesterday was taken out of either medical or scientific literature. I googled and found most of them taken word-for-word from abstracts.

In terms of the PS, things haven't changed much. However, many questions are now geared toward pushing you to be able to think outside the box when you do the calculations. I can't go into too much details, but you need to become very comfortable in doing calculations faster.

Verbal is the only section that didn't change much.

Seriously. Unless you score less than 23 or bomb a specific section (less than 6), then you are not an underdog. Besides, you can retake. Good thing that we took the mcat yesterday, so we could still sign up for a retake in August if we are not satisfied with our score.

Keep your hopes up, man. I know the exam yesterday caught us off guard but have faith in yourself. Honestly, regardless of knowing that I performed on the sciences a lot worse than I should've, the only thing that is worrying me is verbal because it is a total crapshot for me. However, if your verbal skills are good, then you shouldn't worry too much.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I've been getting 9's on my practice verbal sections, but about 2/3 through the test I just lost all my focus and had to answer quite a few questions without understanding the main idea, so my verbal could be much lower than that. Good luck to you as well man.

Haters gonna hate, but until I see otherwise when I get my score back I feel at home with the underdogs. Plus gpa is very subjective and seems to be weighed far less heavily than mcat, particularly at the more established DO schools

Look at the recent MCAT Threads.

Read them. I think they are just running the hard ones through for the April folks. They fluctuate between hard and easy tests so this is actually good for us May folks. They already had the hard ones so the next ones will be easier ones!

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I've been getting 9's on my practice verbal sections, but about 2/3 through the test I just lost all my focus and had to answer quite a few questions without understanding the main idea, so my verbal could be much lower than that. Good luck to you as well man.

Haters gonna hate, but until I see otherwise when I get my score back I feel at home with the underdogs. Plus gpa is very subjective and seems to be weighed far less heavily than mcat, particularly at the more established DO schools

WVSOM has a 25-26 average, along with KCOM and KCUMB I believe.

I don't get how some of you guys get 30+ MCATS with low gpas. My gpa was 3.6, but the MCAT was a struggle. You gotta be able to think quickly, and preparation only gets you so far. Especially with the common study materials.

Last edited:

I don't get how some of you guys get 30+ MCATS with low gpas. My gpa was 3.6, but the MCAT was a struggle. You gotta be able to think quickly, and preparation only gets you so far. Especially with the common study materials.

KCOM & KCUMB are 27s I think.
Also the mcat is different than gpa. I always hated doing problems and preferred learning things conceptually as opposed to through practice. As such for me the mcat was a significantly harder bitch than half my bio, humanities, etc courses. This not to mention that I got trapped in the it's 3 months away... it's 2 months away... it's 1 month away holy **** need to study this! thing.

Admittedly cracking the mcat is where it's hard. Once you figure out how to study for it efficiently and what to do, you start to realize where you need to work. Ex. once you figure out you need to study circuits and electrochem, or thermodynamics then you work on it hard and figure it out and thus gain a lot of points.

Read them. I think they are just running the hard ones through for the April folks. They fluctuate between hard and easy tests so this is actually good for us May folks. They already had the hard ones so the next ones will be easier ones!

I also believe they alternate between easier an harder tests. But having an easier test is actually detrimental. The curve is harder

I also believe they alternate between easier an harder tests. But having an easier test is actually detrimental. The curve is harder

They aren't curved, the scoring system is set up before anyone takes the test.

They aren't curved, the scoring system is set up before anyone takes the test.

Right, I guess I meant the grading scales are set according to some formula correlating how people answered those same questions in past administrations, or similar questions deemed the same difficulty level. That makes a harder test score grid maybe a little better? I believe so. I had a crazy PS section, a very calculation-intensive test April of last year, I thought I had gotten killed but ended up not doing that bad after all. BTW BS was challenging too we had like 2.5 organic passages, crazy stuuf all over; my VR I htough had not been too bad and I had scored average 10 on all of my FL's, I got a 7 on the real deal

I actually had a very low undergrad GPA, mainly due to a bad year some time ago that I didn't handle right. I have high 3.0s post-bac GPAs, and a mid 30s MCAT, but nothing can really salvage my undergrad grades, short of retaking all of those classes, many of which can only be taken at my home institution. That's my story.

My guess is that a lot of people in a similar situation had some rough undergrad situation. That's the nice thing about DO though, you have a second chance in it. Just like the people that for some reason or another just don't perform well on standardized tests, people with low GPAs need that second chance to show what they can do when given the opportunity.

I know how you feel, honestly. Post MCAT stress sucks. Just try to forget about it for a month until the score comes out.

3.1/2.7
MCAT in July
URM
Financially disadvantaged
6+ years of military service
Tons of clinical experience and unofficial shadowing
Lots of volunteering

Should I even apply?

3.1/2.7
MCAT in July
URM
Lots of volunteering

Should I even apply?

If that 2.7 is below a 2.75 then chances are you will have no chance. You need to spend sometime doing grade replacement.

3.1/2.7
MCAT in July
URM
Lots of volunteering

Should I even apply?

I agree with Serenade here, you need to bump that up to above 2.75, or you will get screened out of a lot of schools. If you can get it above 3.0, you'll be above the screens for almost all the schools. Look into grade replacement.

3.1/2.7
MCAT in July
URM
Lots of volunteering

Should I even apply?

Get that sGPA to 3.0 and score 24+ MCAT then you will have a chance. According to some threads I have seen on SDN, your URM status might help but you have to try to pass the initial screening.

I'll give it try!

3.32 cGPA
3.56 sGPA
23 MCAT 6PS/9VR/8BS
URM

What do you guys think?

I'll give it try!

3.32 cGPA
3.56 sGPA
23 MCAT 6PS/9VR/8BS
URM

What do you guys think?

Any thoughts on retaking the MCAT? a lot of programs would toss you for being <24. With your GPA being just fine as is, I would recommend thinking about retaking the MCAT if you feel like you can get 25+, and especially if you think you can get into the 26-27+ range.