2013-2014 Underdawgs Thread ( Lets get it)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...that is if they're ready to listen and speak in Spanish 24/7. Yes, textbooks might be in English, but most PR schools are taught in Spanish and that might be a challenge for some.
You are right... Might not be for everyone if you don't speak Spanish...But I am already amazed because I met many students MS-II and MS-III from the states and Canada (AA and caucasians) who did not speak Spanish when they got here and they told me it was not an issue. They are all conversational now... If i did not speak Spanish, I would have chosen WVSOM because I would be scared to go to med school in a country and not speak the language...All the staff speak English, every materials are in English and there are some prof that lecture in English tough from what I was told...

Reactions: 1 users
@serenade ... or others....What happened to VinceViegel? I just noticed that all of his posts have been deleted...

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually temp101 choice might not be too bad when there is only 1 DO that matched into ACGME ortho this year... If he/she is not interested in these ACGME ultra competitive specialties, I think either school is ok... But that 31k vs. 50k tuition is very enticing though...

My Statistics:
Asian
Attended top 40 undergraduate institution.
sGPA: 3.20-3.30
cGPA: 3.30-3.40
MCAT: 29
Chair member in on-campus medical organization.
Did research in 2 different labs.
Summer REU/internship at the same school.
Shadowed 1MD and 2 DOs. Got letter of recommendation from 1MD and 1DO. Had a committee letter from school but I'm not sure it helped me much.

Applied to 26 M.D. schools, 8 D.O. schools, and 1 Caribbean school. Got 0 interviews from MD schools and 3 interviews from D.O. schools, all interviews were after January 2014. Was rejected from the first D.O. school, and waitlisted to the other two. Got into St. George's University's M.D. Program and really expected to go there. Showed a lot of interest at both D.O. schools that I was waitlisted from by sending letters of intent. I also called every few days to ask about my position. Finally ended up getting accepted to one of the two last week.

SO HAPPY!! I was pretty depressed for the entire last year because of this, however, the acceptance was so sweet.

Reactions: 15 users
My Statistics:
Asian
Attended top 40 undergraduate institution.
sGPA: 3.20-3.30
cGPA: 3.30-3.40
MCAT: 29
Chair member in on-campus medical organization.
Did research in 2 different labs.
Summer REU/internship at the same school.
Shadowed 1MD and 2 DOs. Got letter of recommendation from 1MD and 1DO. Had a committee letter from school but I'm not sure it helped me much.

Applied to 26 M.D. schools, 8 D.O. schools, and 1 Caribbean school. Got 0 interviews from MD schools and 3 interviews from D.O. schools, all interviews were after January 2014. Was rejected from the first D.O. school, and waitlisted to the other two. Got into St. George's University's M.D. Program and really expected to go there. Showed a lot of interest at both D.O. schools that I was waitlisted from by sending letters of intent. I also called every few days to ask about my position. Finally ended up getting accepted to one of the two last week.

SO HAPPY!! I was pretty depressed for the entire last year because of this, however, the acceptance was so sweet.

Congrats! just wondering when you applied?

Am I a MD underdog? ugpa: 3.9; postbac gpa: 4.0; mcat:8-8-10; law degree. I am applying to approx 15-17 DO schools but wanted to know if I should apply to MD schools. I applied to 2 in my home state so far.

Am I a MD underdog? ugpa: 3.9; postbac gpa: 4.0; mcat:8-8-10; law degree. I am applying to approx 15-17 DO schools but wanted to know if I should apply to MD schools. I applied to 2 in my home state so far.
Post it on this year's thread. This is last cycle.

Hey everyone! So I recently re-took my MCAT and improved by at least 2 points in each section. MCAT 26(12 PS, 6 V, 8BS) and GPA 3.6 overall and sciences. I am torn between re-taking. I can maintain PS high enough and I can improve BS, but to be honest I was scoring 4-8 on VS (the majority of the time it was closer to 4 than 8) and I'm concerned my VS will drop again.

Should I take my chances and apply next cycle with this score?? Was anyone in a similar situation and get accepted/rejected in 2013 cycle??

Hey everyone! So I recently re-took my MCAT and improved by at least 2 points in each section. MCAT 26(12 PS, 6 V, 8BS) and GPA 3.6 overall and sciences. I am torn between re-taking. I can maintain PS high enough and I can improve BS, but to be honest I was scoring 4-8 on VS (the majority of the time it was closer to 4 than 8) and I'm concerned my VS will drop again.

Should I take my chances and apply next cycle with this score?? Was anyone in a similar situation and get accepted/rejected in 2013 cycle??
you are fine (assuming no red flags). Apply to 12-15 schools of your choice.

I think a 26 with a 6 in VR will get you sufficient invites, but what I do find problematic is the 8 in bio. I think that will keep you from some of the better programs.

I have a similar MCAT as your's a 26 (P10 V6 B10) and a lower GPA than your's and have gotten 3 interviews so far. I think you still have a shot, GO FOR IT!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah... this year's underdawgs list was filled with...

"overdawgs"..?

Reactions: 2 users
I have to agree with above. They either had a high GPA/low MCAT or viva versa. Not too many that were underdogs in both senses.

Hey everyone! So I recently re-took my MCAT and improved by at least 2 points in each section. MCAT 26(12 PS, 6 V, 8BS) and GPA 3.6 overall and sciences. I am torn between re-taking. I can maintain PS high enough and I can improve BS, but to be honest I was scoring 4-8 on VS (the majority of the time Twas closer to 4 than 8) and I'm concerned my VS will drop again.

The only schools that may give you trouble pre-secondary are KCUMB (VR of 6 cut off), CUSOM (VR of 6 cut off), and PCOM-philly (all sections above 8). You might be able to get past the auto screen for KCUMB and CUSOM, but it is difficult to say.

If anything, this list suggests being an underdawg is becoming increasingly hard to get an acceptance.

I will keep saying this. 3.5+/3.5+/22+, 3.3+/3.3+/24+, or 3.0+/3.0+/27+, early/broad app, and no red flags should give favorable chance of at least 1 acceptance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I will keep saying this. 3.5+/3.5+/22+, 3.3+/3.3+/24+, or 3.0+/3.0+/27+, early/broad app, and no red flags should give favorable chance of at least 1 acceptance.
I agree for the most part, but I would say: 3.5/3.5/24, 3.3/3.3/26, 3.0/3.0/27-28. 24 seems to be the minimum for the most part and 3.0 for GPA. Below 3.0 you would need 30+ and below 24 you would need 3.85ish+. Just my opinion though based on the numbers I have seen. There are exceptions to this of course, but this is the general rule.

I agree for the most part, but I would say: 3.5/3.5/24, 3.3/3.3/26, 3.0/3.0/27-28. 24 seems to be the minimum for the most part and 3.0 for GPA. Below 3.0 you would need 30+ and below 24 you would need 3.85ish+. Just my opinion though based on the numbers I have seen. There are exceptions to this of course, but this is the general rule.
I wish there were more data points to see, but it seems like the more qualified applicants are overrepresented and post much more frequently on these forums.

The less qualified, whether successful or not, seem to keep more quiet. Therefore, it is somewhat challenging for me to determine where the lower end of the "favorable chance" threshold lies.

Last edited:
And DO LORs and DO Shadowing.. Those are important to include imo

I wish there were more data points to see, but it seems like the more qualified applicants are overrepresented and post much more frequently on these forums.

The less qualified, whether successful or not, seem to keep more quiet. Therefore, Tis somewhat challenging for me to determine where the lower end of the "favorable chance" threshold lies.
I would tend to believe more that they weren't successful in the cycle. If they took the first step to post their stats here, I would believe it's much less likely than an average applicant to restrain from posting if they are successful.

Hey guys, I guess since this is marginally related, I should contribute and say that I did get 1 acceptance.

I had a 2.84 cumulative and a 2.71 science GPA, as well as a 30 MCAT. I started taking things seriously and I'm now safely within the top quartile in school now and hope to continue to improve! Obviously I was extremely fortunate and perhaps a poor representative of how these stories usually go, but it's a data point nonetheless, take it as you will.

Edit: I should add that I had excellent LORs and that my interview, which was probably make or break for me, went well.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I guess since this is marginally related, I should contribute and say that I did get 1 acceptance.

I had a 2.770 cumulative and a 2.612 science GPA, as well as a 30 MCAT. I started taking things seriously and I'm now safely within the top quartile in school now and hope to continue to improve! Obviously I was extremely fortunate and perhaps a poor representative of how these stories usually go, but it's a data point nonetheless, take it as you will.
Please reconfirm that those were your official GPAs. Log into your AACOMAS account, and view the official PDF of your primary application, which will show your verified GPA's.

Even I, perhaps the most optimistic member here, am shocked at a 2.6 sci gpa acceptance.

Please reconfirm that those were your official GPAs. Log into your AACOMAS account, and view the official PDF of your primary application, which will show your verified GPA's.

Even I, perhaps the most optimistic member here, am shocked at a 2.6 sci gpa acceptance.

I did not think to check there, I had my own spreadsheet. You're right and I'll edit my original post. It went up a little, hopefully it's now in the realm of believability.

I should really stress though that my admission could have very easily been affected by the alignment of the planets or the weather outside the day the faculty looked at my application. I really don't think that my stats are typical, my MCAT was just barely my saving grace and in a couple cycles the average scores may rise high enough to make my application a nonstarter if I were to apply then, if that hasn't happened already.

Last edited:

what is considered a "red flag"? I tried to search your posts to see where you had mentioned it previously but it wouldn't let me view your profile.

what is considered a "red flag"? I tried to search your posts to see where you had mentioned it previously but it wouldn't let me view your profile.
arrests, conduct violations, no volunteering, bad LOR, previous med school matriculation, etc