2013-2014 Wake Forest Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!!!!!

Can't even explain how happy I am right now

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted or rather placed on the "alternate list". :(

The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and interview, and has placed you on the alternate list which is used to fill the entering class. All alternate list applications are reviewed for possible acceptance after each committee meeting until the end of interview season in March, and then reviewed again as vacancies occur up until the week after school begins in July. Please understand that the alternate list is a favorable standing. Over one-third of the class was selected from this list for last year's class.

Because we choose not to overfill our entering class, many excellent candidates with a good chance of gaining admission are placed on the alternate list. If you have a particular interest in Wake Forest, please advise us in writing so that we can keep your application active. When applicants are selected from the alternate list, preference is given to those who have expressed an interest in this school. While we are unable to give you detailed information about your particular chances, we can tell you that approximately thirty to fifty percent of the final class is selected from this list.

Accepted! Interviewed early September, OOS. The acceptance email is nondescript and asks you to open the attached PDF, so I expected bad news. Very happy to be wrong.

Alternate list as well. Bummer, I really liked Wake.

Hey everyone, don't panic if you've been placed on the alternate list - it's a good place to be. Your chances of being eventually accepted are better than you think. I know tons of people in the 2017 class were accepted from the alternate list, myself included. Don't lose hope yet!

First Acceptance!!!

Interviewed mid-Sept.
OOS/31/3.8+/very non-trad

Congrats to others and good luck to all!

Hey everyone, don't panic if you've been placed on the alternate list - it's a good place to be. Your chances of being eventually accepted are better than you think. I know tons of people in the 2017 class were accepted from the alternate list, myself included. Don't lose hope yet!

Thanks, I am very hopeful. I mean 30-50% is a lot of alternative list movement in the months to come.

Hope this doesn't mean they're nearly done interviewing...

I hear ya. I've heard nothing but silence from them for a month. I hope it's just because I was pretty late with my app.. maybe they can get to it now they they got all of these acceptances out of the way :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear ya. I've heard nothing but silence from them for a month. I hope it's just because I was pretty late with my app.. maybe they can get to it now they they got all of these acceptances out of the way :rolleyes:

:laugh: 2nd-string here we come.

I submitted my AMCAS July 21 and it took time to get this secondary. It's tough for me to think that is late, but... I guess we'll see.

Congrats to all those who heard good news today!!!!!

I'm right there with you BlackBox and ANATOMYgirl22! I've only been fully complete with them for a week now, but I'm hoping I'm not too late to get an interview! :(

I'm right there with you BlackBox and ANATOMYgirl22! I've only been fully complete with them for a week now, but I'm hoping I'm not too late to get an interview! :(

+1... Complete oct 10...

"After the Secondary Application, MCAT scores and letters of evaluation and recommendation are received, the completed application is reviewed by the Committee on Admissions, and candidates are invited for interview. Nine percent of all applicants are asked to visit Wake Forest School of Medicine for interviews that run from September through March." http://www.wakehealth.edu/School/Admissions/#selection

The website says they interview through March. And I'm sure they're nowhere near done, I went on the first day (9/6 I think) and they actually only interview 6 people a day, whereas some schools do 12 and others do like 30 in a day.

this school want to PUT ME ON THE WAITLIST???

ok, i see how it is! i am putting wake forest at the bottom of MY waitlist!!!

:banana:

5vjpd.jpg

If you're serious, I'm pretty sure all the lovely people here wouldn't mind you telling admissions how you really feel.
If you're trolling, just fyi, it's not a good look, bro.

hahaha good luck lascivious, I hope you get in.... I'm dying over here...
If you're serious, I'm pretty sure all the lovely people here wouldn't mind you telling admissions how you really feel.
If you're trolling, just fyi, it's not a good look, bro.

why you hating so hard, "bro"? not only that, but YOUR attempt at humor is the one that's really lame....

hahaha good luck lascivious, I hope you get in.... I'm dying over here...

why you hating so hard, "bro"? not only that, but YOUR attempt at humor is the one that's really lame....
I'm not hating and I wasn't joking. Lascivious Rex could be serious or could be joking; it can be read either way. I just think that's an inconsiderate thing to say or joke about since a lot of people don't even get a secondary from WF. And there are people on here still waiting to hear if they'll even get to interview. It's a pretty safe bet that people would love to even be on the waitlist at this point, especially since some people might have already interviewed and been rejected. So it's an asinine comment to make.

i'm not hating and i wasn't joking. Lascivious rex could be serious or could be joking; it can be read either way. I just think that's an inconsiderate thing to say or joke about since a lot of people don't even get a secondary from wf. And there are people on here still waiting to hear if they'll even get to interview. It's a pretty safe bet that people would love to even be on the waitlist at this point, especially since some people might have already interviewed and been rejected. So it's an asinine comment to make.

+1

I'm not hating and I wasn't joking. Lascivious Rex could be serious or could be joking; it can be read either way. I just think that's an inconsiderate thing to say or joke about since a lot of people don't even get a secondary from WF. And there are people on here still waiting to hear if they'll even get to interview. It's a pretty safe bet that people would love to even be on the waitlist at this point, especially since some people might have already interviewed and been rejected. So it's an asinine comment to make.

I sort of understand where you are coming from. You are worried that people are going to feel bad when they read it -- I didn't pick up on that before. I interpreted it as an unnecessarily hostile response, which is why I voiced my support for Lascivious Rex.

At the same time, I still think Lascivious Rex's joke (and name) is funny. I don't think being on a waitlist is anything close to being something that one could lord over anyone else. If anything, it's a way more tense and frustrating place to be than anything else! It's basically like being October 14th for months. And if anything, from your point of view, I would say that chiming into a thread to say that you were accepted would be WAY more insensitive, but that is completely common and normal on here, and I haven't seen you go after anyone for it. At the risk of ruining it, the joke is all about the reversal of power. WF is the one with the power, LR is the obsequious wretch. So for him to say that HE'S putting WF at the bottom of HIS waitlist is absurd / hilarious. He's humorously acknowledging his utter lack of power in the situation and, to me, that's actually a pretty humble thing to do i.e. he is definitely not bragging, which is what you are sort of implying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
i sort of understand where you are coming from. You are worried that people are going to feel bad when they read it -- i didn't pick up on that before. I interpreted it as an unnecessarily hostile response, which is why i voiced my support for lascivious rex.

At the same time, i still think lascivious rex's joke (and name) is funny. I don't think being on a waitlist is anything close to being something that one could lord over anyone else. If anything, it's a way more tense and frustrating place to be than anything else! It's basically like being october 14th for months. And if anything, from your point of view, i would say that chiming into a thread to say that you were accepted would be way more insensitive, but that is completely common and normal on here, and i haven't seen you go after anyone for it. At the risk of ruining it, the joke is all about the reversal of power. Wf is the one with the power, lr is the obsequious wretch. So for him to say that he's putting wf at the bottom of his waitlist is absurd / hilarious. He's humorously acknowledging his utter lack of power in the situation and, to me, that's actually a pretty humble thing to do i.e. He is definitely not bragging, which is what you are sort of implying.

+1

I sort of understand where you are coming from. You are worried that people are going to feel bad when they read it -- I didn't pick up on that before. I interpreted it as an unnecessarily hostile response, which is why I voiced my support for Lascivious Rex.

At the same time, I still think Lascivious Rex's joke (and name) is funny. I don't think being on a waitlist is anything close to being something that one could lord over anyone else. If anything, it's a way more tense and frustrating place to be than anything else! It's basically like being October 14th for months. And if anything, from your point of view, I would say that chiming into a thread to say that you were accepted would be WAY more insensitive, but that is completely common and normal on here, and I haven't seen you go after anyone for it. At the risk of ruining it, the joke is all about the reversal of power. WF is the one with the power, LR is the obsequious wretch. So for him to say that HE'S putting WF at the bottom of HIS waitlist is absurd / hilarious. He's humorously acknowledging his utter lack of power in the situation and, to me, that's actually a pretty humble thing to do i.e. he is definitely not bragging, which is what you are sort of implying.
I agree with you, except I'm not even remotely implying that LR is bragging about being on the waitlist. Simply saying, it can be read the wrong way (like a "how dare they put me on the waitlist" kinda thing). And, I'll say is that by my point of view, it is actually okay to let people know you got accepted as long as it doesn't come off arrogant or showy, because it's definitely possible to humbly let people know you got in. At the end of the day everyone wants to see that schools are handing out acceptances/waitlistings/rejections because it let's you get a rough estimate of your own personal chances. I gave up on the idea of calling out the humble braggers when they all crawled out of the woodwork when interviews first started being handed out. I'll finish my MD faster than I'd finish calling all of them out.

And with the waitlist thing, you are in limbo, so that means that you have more to lose than someone who has already been accepted or rejected. And, apart from what your peers think, there are also med students/doctors/other people who can communicate with admissions all over these threads. And I'm DEFINITELY not saying they'll find out who you are and reject you or anything; but, why even open yourself up to the option? (especially nowadays, when you know for a fact that there can be negative consequences for the things you post online, joking or not)

But, FOR THE RECORD, I'm totally a fan of a good joke on these threads because everyone is usually super intense. Just make sure it's not going to get taken the wrong way, that's all.

Last edited:
I agree with you, except I'm not even remotely implying that LR is bragging about being on the waitlist. Simply saying, it can be read the wrong way (like a "how dare they put me on the waitlist" kinda thing).

ok -- NOW i see what you meant... but... did you miss the :banana:??????

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In regards to the alternate list, wake chooses not to over accept in general, which means, the school generally has no more acceptances floating out there than they have seats, mainly because the curiculum and resources for the first 2 years are geared around having only 120 students. What that means is a huge amount of waitlist movement. keep your head up, I got in here may 15th, and I would say >50% of the class I came in with was pulled from the wait list, but dont quote me on that, its just an estimate

In regards to the alternate list, wake chooses not to over accept in general, which means, the school generally has no more acceptances floating out there than they have seats, mainly because the curiculum and resources for the first 2 years are geared around having only 120 students. What that means is a huge amount of waitlist movement. keep your head up, I got in here may 15th, and I would say >50% of the class I came in with was pulled from the wait list, but dont quote me on that, its just an estimate
Actually, the most recent stats for WF are:

Total applicants: 8161
Interviewed: 605
Accepted: 256
Enrolled: 120

Actually, the most recent stats for WF are:

Total applicants: 8161
Interviewed: 605
Accepted: 256
Enrolled: 120

What he meant was that at any given time, there haven't been more acceptances extended than there are available seats. Obviously, not everyone who is accepted will attend, and as those people withdraw their acceptance and a seat opens up then more acceptances are given.

so what does getting waitlisted this early mean? is my application still under continued review? or will i be waiting until april or may for other candidates to decline their acceptances?

i am leaning toward the latter...

EDIT: I AM SO SORRY BECAUSE I DID NOT READ THE EMAIL... which answers my question. forgive me.

Out of curiosity, what is the answer?

Erm, has wake forest done away with the stringent secondary screen? There hasn't been word of any pre-secondary rejections on this thread. Also, I added WF really late because I heard really good things randomly, and ended up getting a secondary the day after they acknowledged receipt.

I really love WF, but part of the appeal was they would only send me a secondary if they wanted to see more, and with funds drying up quickly...I'm just worried my information is dated about the secondary screen.

Any insider information on this?

The Wake Forest depost to hold a space in the class is non-refundable. Has that always been the case?

The Wake Forest depost to hold a space in the class is non-refundable. Has that always been the case?

Their admissions website currently says it is refundable until May 1st. Did it say something different in material they sent you?

Their admissions website currently says it is refundable until May 1st. Did it say something different in material they sent you?

The acceptance letter says "To reserve your place, a non-refundable $100.00 holding place fee to be credited towards your first-year's tuition is required."

wooooooo got sent a secondary!! idk how strong my app is tho i got some volunteer work at a hospital and research work in a lab and my GPA is 3.77 overall and a 3.65 science (bio major chem minor) but my MCAT is only average at 26 :(

The acceptance letter says "To reserve your place, a non-refundable $100.00 holding place fee to be credited towards your first-year's tuition is required."

I thought this was strange as well. It definitely says that the $100 is non-refundable.

I thought this was strange as well. It definitely says that the $100 is non-refundable.

Received my official acceptance letter in the mail today and it says, "This fee is refundable until May 1, 2014."

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1382229933.548028.jpg

(Uggghhh sdn app why won't you let me rotate my photos!)

Received my official acceptance letter in the mail today and it says, "This fee is refundable until May 1, 2014."

View attachment 25307

(Uggghhh sdn app why won't you let me rotate my photos!)

Good catch. I didn't see that the first read through. The letter looked identical to the email attachment, and I assumed it was the same exact thing.

wooooooo got sent a secondary!! idk how strong my app is tho i got some volunteer work at a hospital and research work in a lab and my GPA is 3.77 overall and a 3.65 science (bio major chem minor) but my MCAT is only average at 26 :(
I don't think they're rejecting anyone pre-secondary this year. Take advantage of that and do your best on the secondary and I bet you have a good shot at interview!

Erm, has wake forest done away with the stringent secondary screen? There hasn't been word of any pre-secondary rejections on this thread. Also, I added WF really late because I heard really good things randomly, and ended up getting a secondary the day after they acknowledged receipt.

I really love WF, but part of the appeal was they would only send me a secondary if they wanted to see more, and with funds drying up quickly...I'm just worried my information is dated about the secondary screen.

Any insider information on this?
+1 I would like to know about this as well. Anyone know for sure?

ps has the WFUSM app portal been down for anybody else?

Last edited:
+1 I would like to know about this as well. Anyone know for sure?

If you received a secondary, then you have a 20-23% chance to receive an interview invite. I think someone posted the exact numbers of applications/secondaries/interview invites/acceptances (either from MSAR, school website, info from interview day, etc) somewhere earlier in either this thread or last year's.

Ah, here we go:
7,400 primary applications submitted
2,450 secondary applications submitted
540 interviews
225 accepted
120 matriculated.

These were posted in this year's thread (where the guy got it from the 2012-13 thread). That means these numbers are probably from the 2011-2012 cycle. Still, the percentages are probably around the same.

If you received a secondary, then you have a 20-23% chance to receive an interview invite. I think someone posted the exact numbers of applications/secondaries/interview invites/acceptances (either from MSAR, school website, info from interview day, etc) somewhere earlier in either this thread or last year's.

Ah, here we go:
7,400 primary applications submitted
2,450 secondary applications submitted
540 interviews
225 accepted
120 matriculated.

These were posted in this year's thread (where the guy got it from the 2012-13 thread). That means these numbers are probably from the 2011-2012 cycle. Still, the percentages are probably around the same.
What I was trying to find out is if the pre-secondary screen is still in effect this year. Another SDN-er brought up a good point: nobody seems to have been rejected pre-secondary this year (at least, nobody on SDN has posted about it; I know SDNers are a small % of the total applicant pool). Just curious if that pre-secondary screen is still ongoing/ as stringent as it has been in the past. Thanks for the response/information, though! :)