2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm just a thank you note person. I always write them for gifts or parties, etc, and in the past I've written them for job interviews. Especially with these all day ones where they're providing us with food and such, it just seems appropriate to write a thank you note. I can't imagine how much work and organization it takes.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone NOT heard from Henry Ford Peds Neuro?? I even emailed the TD regarding my status but never got a response...

I also have not heard from Henry Ford Adult Neuro. Also emailed the TD (granted it was yesterday) and no response yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personalized (with my name) email to interview. Dates are Tuesday 1/22 or 1/29. They did say they would be flexible if those days didn't work.

Best of luck to all with this stressful process. And most importantly, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Just got invite to Colorado DOC even though their notification date was suppose to be Dec 15th...dates are January 23-25

Has anyone received a rejection/interview for Miami-Dade County? I saw on here that one person received an email for an interview. Just curious if anyone else has heard anything.

I hate the silence from my email after someone on here says they got an interview at a site I'm still waiting on!

Semi-personal invite for in-person interview, dates are January 22 or 29th!

I was really worried that my decision to only apply to VAs would back fire, but just got my 8th interview and still have two sites to hear from. I feel so lucky my gamble paid off!

Well will ya look at that?! I received 2 more interview invites today!! Colorado Department of Corrections and Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health.

Still waiting on 2 more---North Carolina Department of Public Safety: Adult Corrections
and Lakeview Neurorehab....both are phone interviews so...it's all good! Happy Holidays everyone!

9 interviews

$1075 in flights

$100 in hotels (used up close to 140,000 points and staying with friends/family)

Car rentals $144 plus gas

Bus and other transportation roughly $30

With food and other expenses, fees for APPIC application ($250) and matching fee ($130), I think this whole application will end up costing minus any cashback I get for my credit cards, $1800. This is way too expensive, and I think I'm probably on the low end for the # of interviews I have, probably average overall.

Has anyone NOT heard from Henry Ford Peds Neuro?? I even emailed the TD regarding my status but never got a response...

I haven't heard from the TD about the health track though I emailed him on Tuesday.

I'm just a thank you note person. I always write them for gifts or parties, etc, and in the past I've written them for job interviews. Especially with these all day ones where they're providing us with food and such, it just seems appropriate to write a thank you note. I can't imagine how much work and organization it takes.

I completely agree, it's just more common courtesy. You also never know if a lack of gratitude could be interpreted as a character flaw. In my program we were advised to send them by email. Although if a site did state that they don't want you sending them anything I wouldn't.

I didn't see this posted, but I got a generic email rejection from UC Davis CAPS a few hours ago. At this point, I'm just glad to have heard from all my sites!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well will ya look at that?! I received 2 more interview invites today!! Colorado Department of Corrections and Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health.

Still waiting on 2 more---North Carolina Department of Public Safety: Adult Corrections
and Lakeview Neurorehab....both are phone interviews so...it's all good! Happy Holidays everyone!

I am still waiting to hear from CO and LA...i honestly just want to know for scheduling reasons. I have eight interviews now, but those two were high on my list. Congrats on your interviews!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Has anyone received a rejection/interview for Miami-Dade County? I saw on here that one person received an email for an interview. Just curious if anyone else has heard anything.

I hate the silence from my email after someone on here says they got an interview at a site I'm still waiting on!

A cohort member received a rejection yesterday from them.

Oh, what were your interview date options for LA MH, just in case I get notified? I still have five sites to hear from with 8 interviews, so I am afraid of overlap. Thanks

I haven't heard from the TD about the health track though I emailed him on Tuesday.

What do we make of Henry Ford not contacting us? I emailed the TD on the 16th so it's been a while...I'm just confused with them because both invites and rejections were sent. I know they did rolling invites but surely at this point it has to be too late for that. Unless they have a wait list?

Good luck to those still waiting!!

Kaiser - Walnut Creek interview via personalized email yesterday. Date to be announced.

Gonna buy the rest of my tkts today--16 interviews. Very thankful and fortunate that my application went over well. Also, soon to be very broke(er!)!

Personalized interview invite from Temple Consortium MAD track. They apologized for the delay. They're holding interviews on 1/17 and 1/18, depending on interviewee availability for those dates. They said that the CADAAC track interviews would be held on the same days. They didn't mention anything about the CORE track.

Anyone hear from the Canandaigua VA?

If anybody has an interview at Hutchings on 1/4 and you want to hang out in Syracuse after the interview or maybe even the evening before, send me a message, and maybe we can meet.

Personalized interview invite from Temple Consortium MAD track. They apologized for the delay. They're holding interviews on 1/17 and 1/18, depending on interviewee availability for those dates. They said that the CADAAC track interviews would be held on the same days. They didn't mention anything about the CORE track.

Anyone hear from the Canandaigua VA?

Congratulations!! And than you for posting. Still waiting...

Is there are reason we shouldn't be sending thank you letters? It's a pretty standard thing to do after any sort of job interview.

Also, a friend of mine on internship this year said that you can only rank 10 sites on the match website. Does anyone know if this is true? I had never heard of a match cap before she mentioned it.

It's not true. This is taken directly from the email we received with match instructions:
"You may rank as many programs as you wish. There are generally more applicants than there are positions available, therefore there is strong competition for most positions. By submitting a longer list of programs, you may reduce the likelihood of being left unmatched. Regardless of the number of programs you rank, you will be matched to the most preferred program on your list that ranks you and does not fill all its positions with applicants it prefers."

Here is a question, on February 22nd does our TD contact us regarding our MATCH status or do we get an email from the MATCH folks letting us know? Also, is there a specific time this information will be available? I know that this is 2 months away but it is nice to know exact details on what to expect.

Here is a question, on February 22nd does our TD contact us regarding our MATCH status or do we get an email from the MATCH folks letting us know? Also, is there a specific time this information will be available? I know that this is 2 months away but it is nice to know exact details on what to expect.

Its sent directly from APPIC to your email. It comes anywhere between 8am and 10am EST.

What do we make of Henry Ford not contacting us? I emailed the TD on the 16th so it's been a while...I'm just confused with them because both invites and rejections were sent. I know they did rolling invites but surely at this point it has to be too late for that. Unless they have a wait list?

Good luck to those still waiting!!

I have heard from others that they can be disorganized so it is unclear what it means, though as time passes any response seems unlikely. If I hear any rumors or actual news I will post it here. I hope others will do likewise.

Oh, what were your interview date options for LA MH, just in case I get notified? I still have five sites to hear from with 8 interviews, so I am afraid of overlap. Thanks

Sorry for the delay...been working a lot to pay for these interviews. Here's the dates for LA DMH

Monday, 1/14 8-12 or 1-4
Tuesday, 1/15 9-12
Wednesday 1/16 10-12
Thursday, 1/17 11-3

Tuesday 1/22 8-12
Wednesday, 1/16 10-12
Thursday, 1/24 11-3

Monday, 1/28 8-12 or 1-4
Tuesday, 1/29 8-12
Wednesday, 1/30 10-12

Not one but TWO rejections from Henry Ford on Christmas Eve...

ditto

Dear Internship Applicant,
First, I want to apologize for failing to respond to your request earlier. We have been involved in the installation of a new EMR and that has taken virtually all our energy since December 1.
We have already filled our interview slots. Unfortunately we cannot interview all applicants. You are a part of a very strong pool of candidates. I want to wish you the very best for your internship search and for your career.

Ok, so here's a thank you note question: some of you have mentioned sending thank you notes unless the program specifically said they will not accept anything. Where are you finding this information from the sites?

I've scoured the brochures of each site as well as (for the places I've already interviewed) the materials handed out during the interview day, and have yet to see anything saying "don't you dare send us anything." I've seen some that say basically "nothing you send us will affect match rankings" but not "We're going to burn your application in effigy if you send us a thank you note."

I'm currently sitting on two thank you notes, feeling terrified that I'll somehow screw up my chances by sending them.

Ok, so here's a thank you note question: some of you have mentioned sending thank you notes unless the program specifically said they will not accept anything. Where are you finding this information from the sites?

I've scoured the brochures of each site as well as (for the places I've already interviewed) the materials handed out during the interview day, and have yet to see anything saying "don't you dare send us anything." I've seen some that say basically "nothing you send us will affect match rankings" but not "We're going to burn your application in effigy if you send us a thank you note."

I'm currently sitting on two thank you notes, feeling terrified that I'll somehow screw up my chances by sending them.

I talked to an early career psychologist about this issue who is mentoring me as a friend. She said that based on the feedback she has received from directors that it is important to send a thank you note unless you are told not too. I would send the ones you are holding. Of course this is just my opinion.

Sorry for the delay...been working a lot to pay for these interviews. Here's the dates for LA DMH

Monday, 1/14 8-12 or 1-4
Tuesday, 1/15 9-12
Wednesday 1/16 10-12
Thursday, 1/17 11-3

Tuesday 1/22 8-12
Wednesday, 1/16 10-12
Thursday, 1/24 11-3

Monday, 1/28 8-12 or 1-4
Tuesday, 1/29 8-12
Wednesday, 1/30 10-12

Thank you for letting me know. I have not heard from either site, so I am expecting rejections.

I talked to an early career psychologist about this issue who is mentoring me as a friend. She said that based on the feedback she has received from directors that it is important to send a thank you note unless you are told not too. I would send the ones you are holding. Of course this is just my opinion.

I sent a thank you note to every site via email and I ended up matching to a top one. I don't think a thank you note will hurt your chances, although I'm not sure it will make a difference either.

Detroit VA? Anyone? Buehler?

It says in their training brochure, they will not be conducting interviews, and all are invited to their open house, which you should RSVP to if you plan to attend. They'll only contact you once you're no longer under consideration. So in this case, no news is good news!

Received a personalized e-mail from Canandaigua VA yesterday (just to find it in my e-mail this morning, Thanks Santa!)!!! Dates are January 8, 11, with a third date late in January TBD.

That finally wraps up this first step for me! 6 interviews, 14 rejections. :D

Probably not, as TDs and other staff are busy with 101 other things unrelated to internship. Try not to stress out about stuff like this, as there are plenty of other things you can do with those minutes of free time.

Received a personalized e-mail from Canandaigua VA yesterday (just to find it in my e-mail this morning, Thanks Santa!)!!! Dates are January 8, 11, with a third date late in January TBD.

That finally wraps up this first step for me! 6 interviews, 14 rejections. :D

Me too, what a nice little Christmas present, eh!?

What is up with Central TX Internship in Clinical and Forensic Psych?!! (aka Rockdale) ... Anywho, 13 interviews, 12 rejections, and 1 pending :)

What is up with Central TX Internship in Clinical and Forensic Psych?!! (aka Rockdale) ... Anywho, 13 interviews, 12 rejections, and 1 pending :)

Have not heard from them either.

I agree - thank you notes after an interview are simply the polite, adult thing to do. No reasonable person is going to hold it against you, and the worst it will do is demonstrate that you're a considerate, thoughtful person who sincerely appreciates the time they took to interview you.

And if they're just "too busy" to read a quick thank-you email, well - I suppose that's what the "delete" key on their keyboard is for. :)

I agree - thank you notes after an interview are simply the polite, adult thing to do. No reasonable person is going to hold it against you, and the worst it will do is demonstrate that you're a considerate, thoughtful person who sincerely appreciates the time they took to interview you.

And if they're just "too busy" to read a quick thank-you email, well - I suppose that's what the "delete" key on their keyboard is for. :)

I think the idea behind indicating that these notes aren't necessary and/or don't influence ranking decisions isn't to suggest that writing them wouldn't be polite and/or possibly appreciated. Rather, it's just to save the applicants the time and additional stress of feeling somehow obligated to churn them out. I sent a few myself, and can say that emailing one to each and every person with whom I'd interviewed (which sometimes tallied upwards of 12-15 per site) would've sucked up pretty large swaths of time.

In general, and in my experience, interviewers can gather from the interview itself whether you've appreciated the time spent. Thus, if you want to write thank you notes, by all means go for it. But, as others have said, no one should feel pressured (internally or externally) to do so; interviewers aren't going to think negatively of you if they don't receive one.

Have not heard from Rockdale either, I've followed up with email and phone call. I contact APPIC to address the issue, seems like their hands are tied as well. I was offered a credit to apply towards another site, but not a refund.

Anyone hear back from Texas Juvenile Justice Dept (aka Giddings)? Their date was 12/23.

Monday, 1/14 8-12 or 1-4
Tuesday, 1/15 9-12
Wednesday 1/16 10-12
Thursday, 1/17 11-3

Tuesday 1/22 8-12
Wednesday, 1/16 10-12
Thursday, 1/24 11-3

Monday, 1/28 8-12 or 1-4
Tuesday, 1/29 8-12
Wednesday, 1/30 10-12

I never got a reply from LA county, but when I emailed them, the director said that they have already invited all the applicants they intend to interview (guess its a not for me).

Have not heard from Rockdale either, I've followed up with email and phone call. I contact APPIC to address the issue, seems like their hands are tied as well. I was offered a credit to apply towards another site, but not a refund.

Anyone hear back from Texas Juvenile Justice Dept (aka Giddings)? Their date was 12/23.

Still waiting on both...also emailed Rockdale about a week ago with no response. If I hear anything from either I will let you know..they are the last two sites I am waiting on

Just to chime in on the thank-you notes issue - I was at the NYC internship fair in September and someone asked a panel of local internship directors about this. Their response seemed to be a unified agreement that thank you notes are not encouraged or welcomed - one director actually said "We assume you're grateful - please spend your time and energy on other things." I had an interview at a competitive NYC site just over a week ago and found a way of bringing this up, and again the individuals interviewing me confirmed that they really do not want to receive thank-you notes.

I assume that the answer to this issue really varies site by site, depending on a ton of factors. I have been sending some quick e-mail thank you's to administrative assistants who have helped with scheduling, orientation, etc, just to acknowledge that these individuals do a ton of work for these interview days and are usually super helpful.

Again, I don't think there's a single definitive "answer" for the thank-you note question, but I would at least say to those who are applying to NYC sites - hold off on sending notes!

It says in their training brochure, they will not be conducting interviews, and all are invited to their open house, which you should RSVP to if you plan to attend. They'll only contact you once you're no longer under consideration. So in this case, no news is good news!

Well, yeah, that's what it says, but last year they contacted people to invite them to the open house. Thanks anyway, though!

Last edited: