2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to chime in on the thank-you notes issue - I was at the NYC internship fair in September and someone asked a panel of local internship directors about this. Their response seemed to be a unified agreement that thank you notes are not encouraged or welcomed - one director actually said "We assume you're grateful - please spend your time and energy on other things." I had an interview at a competitive NYC site just over a week ago and found a way of bringing this up, and again the individuals interviewing me confirmed that they really do not want to receive thank-you notes.

I assume that the answer to this issue really varies site by site, depending on a ton of factors. I have been sending some quick e-mail thank you's to administrative assistants who have helped with scheduling, orientation, etc, just to acknowledge that these individuals do a ton of work for these interview days and are usually super helpful.

Again, I don't think there's a single definitive "answer" for the thank-you note question, but I would at least say to those who are applying to NYC sites - hold off on sending notes!

I agree that there is a lot of variability and it may be useful to consider regional differences when answering this question. Each site likely has different expectations and each region has different norms. The east coast is different than the midwest and so forth. It is always useful to ask current interns at a particular site what they did.

I think it is useful to remember that no one has a right answer, as you said. We each just have an option based on personal experiences and advice. No one thing is the end all, be all in this process, unless something extreme happens like being completely inappropriate in an interview. I also think it is useful to be supportive of each others decisions during this process as each of us can use all of the support they can get.

Members don't see this ad.

Generic (but very kind) email rejection from Manhattan Psychiatric Center. Finally heard from the last one at least, so the first round is over for me!

Just received a rejection from Kings County. Figured it was coming, glad to know now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very lengthy rejection email sent this afternoon... They encouraged me (us) to consider them next year for their postdoc... swell.

I know the deadline is for the 30th but has anyone heard from them? this is the last response I'm waiting for and am looking forward to scheduling my January!

Seemed like a lengthy rejection email to me. I wish they just wrote rejection in the subject line so as not to get our hopes up! +pity+

Has anyone heard from the child guidance center of southern Connecticut? Their notification date was the 21st and I emailed them on the 26th but haven't heard back yet. Any word for anyone else? Also anyone heard from the institute for multicultural education and Counselling services? I know the notification date isn't until the 31st but I'm just wondering. :)

Personalized interview email...finally. The email didn't specify dates, but when I called they scheduled me based on my availability so either I got really lucky or they are just flexible with scheduling.

Did anyone ever receive a rejection from any of the Temple Consortium sites? I'm assuming at this point I'm not getting an interview, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Has anyone heard from Erie Psychological Consortium? Their notification date was 12/23.

I have given up on Central Texas (Rockdale)....anyone hear anything from Texas Juvenile Justice Department Giddings?

Well, yeah, that's what it says, but last year they contacted people to invite them to the open house. Thanks anyway, though!

Oh sheesh - really? They really are making it super confusing for applicants, aren't they? What did you decide to do about attending the open house? Has anyone gotten an email invite this year, or has there just been silence? Is it worth it to email and ask?

Oh sheesh - really? They really are making it super confusing for applicants, aren't they? What did you decide to do about attending the open house? Has anyone gotten an email invite this year, or has there just been silence? Is it worth it to email and ask?

I emailed to RSVP for the Open House and haven't received a response yet. I figure I will give it until the end of next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know the deadline is for the 30th but has anyone heard from them? this is the last response I'm waiting for and am looking forward to scheduling my January!

I'm waiting on them, too....no word. I will likely email them on Monday. GL :)

Anybody waiting anxiously to hear from Lakeview NH tomorrow? I'd really rather not get a rejection on New Years Eve!!! Fingers crossed!

Still waiting on Sinai too--adolescent track, right? Has anyone heard from them?

I'm having some re-experiencing from a previous weekend deadline that came and went with no response from a site, so I'm finding waiting on another site under similar circumstances pretty unpleasant. Especially since it's also my last site.

Last edited:
Still waiting on Sinai too--adolescent track, right? Has anyone heard from them?

I'm having some re-experiencing from a previous weekend deadline that came and went with no response from a site, so I'm finding waiting on another site under similar circumstances pretty unpleasant. Especially since it's also my last site.

I'm waiting on Mt. Sinai too. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear until Wednesday because of the holiday. It is a bummer to not know but I'm trying not to think about it.

Phone call invite to Rockdale, TX....he was nice enough to schedule me on MLK Day since I will be in Texas already

I still haven't heard from Miami-Dade County and today is their notification deadline..they've already sent out rejections and invites! I'm not a happy camper.

Anyone hear from Texas DADS yet? Received an email a few weeks ago that they'd get back with me to schedule an interview but nothing yet ...

If you can avoid checking your bag I would do so. I got to my first destination a few days early to see my family and the airlines lost my bag. I got it the day after but let me tell you how scared it made me! Best of luck everyone and Happy New Years :).

If you can avoid checking your bag I would do so. I got to my first destination a few days early to see my family and the airlines lost my bag. I got it the day after but let me tell you how scared it made me! Best of luck everyone and Happy New Years :).

I'd definitely second this advice, as it can save you money and time. I just carried my suit coat on with me, and folded my shirt and pants into my carry-on (while also making sure all the hotels in which I stayed had irons). I actually don't think I've checked a bag in over a decade. Wow, time flies.

I have a question about the site USF (CAPS). They were accepted to APPIC while most of us were applying or had just finished applying . The APPIC data shows a dip in the number of applicants for last year. In 2010 72 applied; '11 was 84 and in '12 only 26 people applied. Does anyone know the story behind this? Thanks!

I highly recommend priceline's name your own price for car rentals! I just saved more than $100 booking rentals for several interviews. :thumbup:

Hey All-
I just got done booking everything for my stays/flight.
Thought I'd let ya in on what worked for me. Though it's too late for all involved this year, it's not too late for those who will be applying next year. I am not urging anyone to use a credit card inappropriately- to each their own. I have 6 interviews, 5 that my wife and I are driving to and 1 that we are flying to. She primarily uses a marriott rewards credit card for her purchases and I use a southwest airlines credit card. We've been doing this since last March.

Anyways, all of our travel expenses (minus gas) are paid for except $20 (9/11 fee- $10 each) for 6 hotel rooms and 1 round trip flight (for two people) due to our credit cards. Again, wanted to share that if it can work for you, I'd urge doing it. If you cant use a credit card effectively, don't do it. However, I was excited that we were able to save a lot of money by using credit card rewards to pay for so much.

PS I've heard capitol one gives great rewards, but have no first hand experience doing this.
Also, southwest is great for flights, but really sucks for hotels from what I've seen.

Hey All-
I just got done booking everything for my stays/flight.
Thought I'd let ya in on what worked for me. Though it's too late for all involved this year, it's not too late for those who will be applying next year. I am not urging anyone to use a credit card inappropriately- to each their own. I have 6 interviews, 5 that my wife and I are driving to and 1 that we are flying to. She primarily uses a marriott rewards credit card for her purchases and I use a southwest airlines credit card. We've been doing this since last March.

Anyways, all of our travel expenses (minus gas) are paid for except $20 (9/11 fee- $10 each) for 6 hotel rooms and 1 round trip flight (for two people) due to our credit cards. Again, wanted to share that if it can work for you, I'd urge doing it. If you cant use a credit card effectively, don't do it. However, I was excited that we were able to save a lot of money by using credit card rewards to pay for so much.

PS I've heard capitol one gives great rewards, but have no first hand experience doing this.
Also, southwest is great for flights, but really sucks for hotels from what I've seen.

And if you aren't comfortable using a CC for the rewards program (which, I agree, are pretty awesome if you can spend responsibly), you're still able to sign up for airline and hotel frequent buyer programs. AirTran, for example, gives you a free business-class upgrade after just 4 one-way flights (or 3 one-way business-class flights), and a free flight after I believe 8 one-way bookings. They also give you double reward earnings when booking during the month of your birthday (for at least one flight).

I know the frequent stay programs from many hotel chains can provide similar levels of rewards (e.g., a free stay after perhaps 4 or 5 bookings).

I'm still waiting for a few....

Canandaigua VA (which I see they already sent out invites)
Oscar G. Johnson VA in Iron Mt. MI (I know they are 1/10 but crossing fingers and toes)
Riverview Psychiatric Center in Maine (was supposed to let us know by 1/30)

any word either way? Thanks!! (any rejections from Canandaigua?)

Seesh, I thought I'd be done by now!

Oscar G. Johnson VA in Iron Mt. MI (I know they are 1/10 but crossing fingers and toes)

Speaking of which, to lighten the mood I wrote this in my head and thought I'd share it with you all...

Dr Training Director,
I appreciated your email on Dec 27th, exactly 2 weeks after which you should have bothered to send me such a mass email. I had nearly forgotten that I'd applied to your internship program as a backup, and was so warmed by the generic rejection from your site. I'm very grateful for the interviews I have set up at sites that I would have ranked above yours anyways. I wish you the best of luck with your unappealing backup internship program.

Always sarcastically,
Bmedclinic

Dont read it with too much cynicism, I promise I wrote this in a very lighthearted manner in my head.

Anyone still waiting on the Child Guidance Center of Southern Connecticut or the Institute for Multicultural Counseling and Education Services in LA? I haven't heard either way from either of these.. and I haven't seen anything posted by anyone else. :confused: Thanks!

Hello all. I just emailed Mount Sinai (deadline was 12/30). Has anyone heard anything from them at all?

Also, on the topic of checked bags. I highly suggest taking carry-ons. For guys, I heard getting a suit suitcase is optimal and many airplanes have jacket closets where you can store them. My roomie (who applied last year and matched) told me that for most of his flights, he asked an attendant to store his jacket for him in there and they had no issues with that! Good luck with interviews everyone!

Hello all. I just emailed Mount Sinai (deadline was 12/30). Has anyone heard anything from them at all?

I emailed this morning, too, and have heard nothing. They haven't been added to the list of inviting or rejecting sites on the front page of this forum yet. If anyone has news, please let us know? I find this whole thing really puzzling.

I'm guessing they got a lot of additional applications since they got accredited this year, but still, it seems odd that they may not have gotten in touch with anyone yet, given the stage we've reached in the interview cycle.

Really hoping to hear some updates either way!

Hope interviews are going well for everyone!!

I emailed this morning, too, and have heard nothing. They haven't been added to the list of inviting or rejecting sites on the front page of this forum yet. If anyone has news, please let us know? I find this whole thing really puzzling.

I'm guessing they got a lot of additional applications since they got accredited this year, but still, it seems odd that they may not have gotten in touch with anyone yet, given the stage we've reached in the interview cycle.

I think nyprincess stopped updating awhile ago. I heard back from Mt Sinai a couple weeks ago (a rejection) and I know someone else posted on here about a rejection as well.

I received a generic rejection from Mt. Sinai's Adolescent Track on 1/1/13. Hopefully you have better luck.

Has anyone heard from the Worcester clinic track? Applications were due Dec. 21. Happy New Year!

Has anyone heard from the Worcester clinic track? Applications were due Dec. 21. Happy New Year!
i'm still waiting to hear from them too. I imagine they'll let us know by the end of the week!

Anyone heard from Montana state? I know the notification date isn't until the 7th but hoping to hear sooner :)

Hi All-

For those of us souls still waiting to hear on late sites- stay strong!

I received an email invite for the Aurora outpatient mental health internship this morning from the clinical supervisor at the site.

One left to hear from and then the waiting game for this stage of the game can finally end!

Have those of you who emailed Mt Sinai's Adolescent Health program heard back yet? I am also waiting on them and am interested their response. Thanks!

Hi All-

For those of us souls still waiting to hear on late sites- stay strong!

I received an email invite for the Aurora outpatient mental health internship this morning from the clinical supervisor at the site.

One left to hear from and then the waiting game for this stage of the game can finally end!

Their clinical supervisor is great! :)

G'luck! :luck:

Anybody ever get credit toward a new application after one of your sites dropped out? I was told to email APPI support but haven't heard back from them yet...I'm curious how this process will look if they ever do return my email.

Generic invite with Iron Mt. MI VA- phone interviews the 16th and 23rd

I also emailed Mt. Sinai today, haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully we'll get an answer soon!

Received interview invite for the 11th for Texas DADS.

Hello Everyone,

I lost my interview information for Hennepin County Medical Center! The email with all the information expired on 12/20. Completely my error that I didn't notice that, but SOOOOOOO annoying that the password protected email expired well before the interview and now all the interview info is lost. Can anyone tell me if the Monday interview time is 8:00-12:00pm or 1:00-5:00pm? My memory is that it is 1:00-5:00, but the last thing I want to do is call and ask...

Thank you to anyone who can help me with this info!

Hello Everyone,

I lost my interview information for Hennepin County Medical Center! The email with all the information expired on 12/20. Completely my error that I didn't notice that, but SOOOOOOO annoying that the password protected email expired well before the interview and now all the interview info is lost. Can anyone tell me if the Monday interview time is 8:00-12:00pm or 1:00-5:00pm? My memory is that it is 1:00-5:00, but the last thing I want to do is call and ask...

The Monday interview time is 1:00pm and the Friday interview is 8am. I had to copy the email to a Word document because I was worried about not being able to access it later.

Hello Everyone,

I have the email sent to me with all the info of where to go if that would be helpful. Mine wasn't a password protected email ( I got mine on 11/20 so not sure if it was a different batch of emails). Let me know if you want me to message you the info!