2013 applicant roll call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunnyslippers

Purdue SVM Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With this round of admissions settling down I thought it would nice for those of us applying next year to see who we'll probably be stalking SDN with soon!

Where are you thinking about applying to? I can't make up my mind, but right now I'm thinking:

Oregon State, UC Davis (IS), Va-Md, Western, CSU, UPenn, Texas A&M, and Wisconsin.

Anyone else worrying about their SO situation on top of everything else?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I'm looking at applying in this round of admissions, too. :) Right now UPenn (IS), Kansas, Missouri, Purdue, Auburn, Illinois, and Iowa are on my short list. It'll be great getting to know everyone in this matriculation cycle, because I will definitely be coming to this site more and more often.

Hmm, I'm on two waitlists and waiting to complete one more interview, so I'll keep you posted if I have to join in for 2013 (but hopefully not!). :oops:

Anyone else worrying about their SO situation on top of everything else?

I'm in that situation already. :( My bf and I went to undergrad together and both of our families live in the same area, but he's up in Boston for the next 4 years working on a PhD while I'm still in Florida trying to get into vet school somewhere! Being apart is really, really difficult, but we talk on the phone basically everyday and thus far (since last summer), I've only gone about 2 months without seeing him. I don't know how often we'll get to see each other once I'm in vet school, but I'll worry about that when I have to. In essence, I think if both you and your SO are on the same page about what your expectations are for your relationship (I'm assuming you're worrying about a long-distance relationship), it can definitely work out! Keeping yourself busy is the key!

Members don't see this ad :)
I may very well be ready to roll onto the 2013 roll call!! I'm awaiting one more school's decision...:scared:

Class of 2013? Present (I hope)! First-time applicant. I'll be applying this upcoming round to the following schools:

Florida
Illinois (IS)
Iowa
Minnesota
Ohio
Wisconsin

AND possibly Michigan OR Kansas.

Trying to narrow it down based on pre-reqs. Also trying to wrap up 3 last prereqs (Animal Science, Nutrition, Micro) around a full-time job while volunteering my life away. It'll all be worth it if I get in this cycle, but even if I don't at least I'll have learned a lot and be ready to try again.

I'll be applying to one and only one.

ILLINOIS

I'll be applying for the class of 2013. Not to anywhere in particular, but to pretty much any school I meet the pre-reqs for. The short short list is currently at Tufts, Cornell, and Florida.

But first I need to survive this semester of Ochem, Microbio, Genetics and Gen Bio.

I'm waitlisted... but far enough down I don't have a good chance. :oops:

So I'll probably be applying for 2013 at MN!! :luck:

My definite list is ISU (IS) and Tufts--I applied to both this year, was rejected, and am working towards making myself a better applicant. I'm still looking into other schools, too, but UC Davis, Cornell, and Minnesota will probably make the final list.

I'll be applying. Right now, I'm thinking of Va/Md, Penn and a couple of others I haven't decided yet.

Hopefully, third time's the charm for me!

Hopeful student of the class of 2013 here! I'm still finalizing the list, but this is pretty much the run down of applications I'll be filling out!

Texas A&M (IS)
UCDavis
UPenn
CSU
Tufts
UTK
Kansas
Florida
RVC

Phew!! I'm gonna have a busy summer :laugh: but it will be worth it if I get in!

As for the SO situation, I'm definitely starting to worry about it! I want to go to vet school of course which minimizes my locations, and my boyfriend is applying to medical school this year, so hopefully we won't end up going to school halfway across the country from each other!

Tufts or bust for me!!!

:oops:
I'm in that situation already. :( My bf and I went to undergrad together and both of our families live in the same area, but he's up in Boston for the next 4 years working on a PhD while I'm still in Florida trying to get into vet school somewhere! Being apart is really, really difficult, but we talk on the phone basically everyday and thus far (since last summer), I've only gone about 2 months without seeing him. I don't know how often we'll get to see each other once I'm in vet school, but I'll worry about that when I have to. In essence, I think if both you and your SO are on the same page about what your expectations are for your relationship (I'm assuming you're worrying about a long-distance relationship), it can definitely work out! Keeping yourself busy is the key!

We haven't even talked about what we are going to do yet! I can't find the courage to start a really serious discussion about it. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got an interview with Ross April 8th (!!!), but if they say no, then I will certainly be joining you all for my second round next year! I think I'd switch out a couple schools I applied to this time around and add some that I think are more likely. We'll see, though!

I'm going to try one more time. My list:

Florida
Missouri
Mississippi
Illinois
Oklahoma? Maybe
Kansas? Another maybe
Colorado? I'll never get in with my grades, but I might try

I am also applying to PA school concurrently. Vet school would be my number one choice but I just don't think my grades are competitive enough.

I will most likely apply... still debating a different grad degree in Bio or other...

Sure things:

WSU
Edinburgh (4-year cycle)
RVC (4-year cycle)

Maybes:

Penn
Cornell
Elsewhere abroad (sorry, Glasgow doesn't interest me)... Dublin? Massey?

But I am terribly indecisive... Am I really sure I want to be a vet??? :idea:

I'm going to try one more time. My list:

Florida
Missouri
Mississippi
Illinois
Oklahoma? Maybe
Kansas? Another maybe
Colorado? I'll never get in with my grades, but I might try

I am also applying to PA school concurrently. Vet school would be my number one choice but I just don't think my grades are competitive enough.

If you really think you have what it takes to make it through vet school and be a good vet, you can try applying to schools abroad--they're generally a little more forgiving with bad grades than US schools.

P.S. I've been rejected or waitlisted at every school except RVC (and I have an interview on Friday at UTK), so even if I'm not applying this fall, I might very well be c/o 2013!

I've thought about the european schools; maybe RVC, but I don't know if I want to live abroad for four years. I'll have to think about it. Also the expense is quite a big question for me.

A lot of my problem is my B.S. is from 8 years ago; some schools have a problem with the time line, others don't realize I've matured a lot as a student since then.

Good luck with UTK! I forgot to put them on my list for next year.

We haven't even talked about what we are going to do yet! I can't find the courage to start a really serious discussion about it. :(

Well, you're not going off to vet school just yet, so there's still plenty of time to talk about it. I mean, why talk about it when you're still pretty far off from leaving, you know? On the other hand, talking about these kinds of things would help you see if both of you are on the same page. For instance, if one of you isn't up for doing the long-distance thing, then maybe you need to re-evaluate staying together.

It's definitely not a fun topic of discussion, but it must be brought up sometime! My bf and I were together for 2 years before he had to move up north for school, and we decided that we'd grown too close and had been through too much to just end our relationship. So, we take it day by day, stay in touch as much as possible, and see each other as often as we can. Like I said, if both of you are on the same page, keeping your relationship alive is possible! Don't be afraid to talk to your SO about this kind of thing, either - I'm sure he/she is wondering about it, too! ;)

Good luck all 2013ers!! Apply everywhere you can...trust me its worth the money.

PS. Don't forget Ohio! I can't wait to start :D

NCSU, c/o 2013 here!! I applied this cycle and was accepted but unfortunately my research is taking a little longer than expected, so I requested (and received!) deferred admission for the class of 2013.

Re the SO issue - at this point, my bf is willing to move to NC with me (I'm OOS), but now that he has another year to think about it, who knows:rolleyes:. Seriously, we've talked about it and he's agreed to move for a year and see if he likes it there; if he does he stays, if he doesn't he moves back, and we try the LDR for a while. The school is about an 8hour drive from home so it's not completely out of the question for that to work. That said though, I have absolutely no intentions of moving back here! So, we'll take it as it comes and see how things go.

Good luck to everyone! (ahhhh, it'll be so nice to watch everything unfold without the added stress this time around:laugh:)

so. . . .i have yet to hear from penn, but from what i know they are done sending out invites so. . .. I guess i will be applying in this next round as well. :p

def on my list:
UF (IS)
U Penn (again)

Maybe on my list:
Tufts (again)
CSU (again)
Texas
Michigan
some out of the country schools as well, i still have to do my research on them

I made the mistake of ONLY applying to DVM/PhD programs (where they only accept 4/5 students a year), and only to 3 schools.
I won't be making that mistake this time. If i still want my PhD i'll go for it AFTER.

good luck everyone!!!!!! :luck:

I'm waiting on a decision from Purdue, waitlisted at WI, and I have an interview at UTK next week, but I have a feeling I'll be applying again next year:

Right now I'm thinking of:

Penn
Tufts
Tenn.
Auburn
LSU
Purdue
Illinois
Ohio
Kansas
WI
Florida

(no cornell for me next year...I'm a cornell undergrad, but 4 years at ithaca is enough for me!)

Hey all! I'll be applying for the first time for c/o 2013 (wow that sounds so far off!). :) I have to limit the schools that I'm applying to to locations where DH can live with his job.

Davis, Illinois, Melbourne, and Sydney

Not only do I have a husband to contend with, but I also have a 9 year old son. That makes it a little bit harder for DH and I to live in separate areas (which we have discussed). His job is going to be a lot of travel (but not 100%) so he won't be home all the time, but when he is, I want him to be home with us. If I get into Australia, then his travel will be even less.

Here's hoping!!:D

Laters...

I am applying this summer...

Florida
Auburn
North Carolina
Tufts
Cornell
UCDavis
Missouri
Iowa
CSU

I'll be in Mozambique from late June to late July...not sure if I should try to submit the applications before I leave in case I get stuck over there for political issues. :scared:

I made my list yesterday (!). U of MN is currently my top choice, but I want to apply to CO, and maybe Cornell and Tufts as long as I'm pursuing pipe dreams. Man, do I have to get my rear in gear for actual vet experience though (I wasn't planning on applying this year until, oh, this week).

The SO situation is a hard one... I'm fortunate that I have a very stable and supportive husband and four wonderful cats. There's a decent chance a two-legged family member will be forthcoming in the next few years as well, which does somewhat limit where we would want to go (right now we're within half an hour of both sets of potential grandparents). I know myself well enough to know I couldn't move away from him for four years because the experience will be difficult enough without giving up the person who knows me best and can keep me happy and healthy. But it's a very individual situation. Communication is key I think.

I am applying this summer...
I'll be in Mozambique from late June to late July...not sure if I should try to submit the applications before I leave in case I get stuck over there for political issues. :scared:

Kinda off-topic, but this is really cool! What are you doing over in Africa this summer?

Okay now that Ive gotten over my initial :mad: period. Count me in AGAIN! Im not sure which schools I'll be applying to bc we may be moving. Here we go again....

LVT, what happened to your plans to go to SGU?

Texas A&M first and foremost

Then:

LSU
OSU
UT
Auburn
Purdue
Florida

and maybe Kansas. I have to double check pre-reqs.

Hey, basically a new poster here. I applied to OK and was not accepted, which was painful because I actually work in the vet school, and if you took a tour then there's a good chance you saw me. But, my grades need some work - here's hoping I can give them a much needed kick in the rump with this semester, summer, and fall.

I'll re-apply to OK, and that'll be my best chance, but I'm considering applying a few other places as well. My grades still won't be that competitive, but I figure that I might as well apply around. I think the one pre-req that will limit me is calculus - I just don't have time to take it. And, I don't really want to. Eww, math.

Supposing I applied to, say, Michigan or something (random, as I haven't actually decided where yet) and I SOMEHOW get accepted OOS... my husband works for OSU itself... sorry, OKSU itself (I forget about those other O states...) and he has a good job that would be hard to duplicate elsewere. We also have purchased a HOUSE that we really enjoy... so if I left him here, not only would he be, well, devastated (I'd be quite sad about it as well) but we would have to consider selling the house because of the mortgage... and we have two cats and a dog... and the places to stay in Stillwater that allow pets are kind of *ick*, especially after getting used to the house.

Today is our one year wedding anniversary, and I'd hate to say, over dinner, "By the way, if I somehow get in OOS, I'm OUTTA HERE! Good luck without me, hon. See you in 4."

But If I did get in, I would likely want to go, because OKSU has less-than-impressive facilities... but a good faculty... I really don't know what I would do. Arg.

Sorry for the long post, I think I just had to unload that on some people that have agood idea what's going through my head. :eek: :)

Hey, basically a new poster here. I applied to OK and was not accepted, which was painful because I actually work in the vet school, and if you took a tour then there's a good chance you saw me. But, my grades need some work - here's hoping I can give them a much needed kick in the rump with this semester, summer, and fall.

I'll re-apply to OK, and that'll be my best chance, but I'm considering applying a few other places as well. My grades still won't be that competitive, but I figure that I might as well apply around. I think the one pre-req that will limit me is calculus - I just don't have time to take it. And, I don't really want to. Eww, math.

Supposing I applied to, say, Michigan or something (random, as I haven't actually decided where yet) and I SOMEHOW get accepted OOS... my husband works for OSU itself... sorry, OKSU itself (I forget about those other O states...) and he has a good job that would be hard to duplicate elsewere. We also have purchased a HOUSE that we really enjoy... so if I left him here, not only would he be, well, devastated (I'd be quite sad about it as well) but we would have to consider selling the house because of the mortgage... and we have two cats and a dog... and the places to stay in Stillwater that allow pets are kind of *ick*, especially after getting used to the house.

Today is our one year wedding anniversary, and I'd hate to say, over dinner, "By the way, if I somehow get in OOS, I'm OUTTA HERE! Good luck without me, hon. See you in 4."

But If I did get in, I would likely want to go, because OKSU has less-than-impressive facilities... but a good faculty... I really don't know what I would do. Arg.

Sorry for the long post, I think I just had to unload that on some people that have agood idea what's going through my head. :eek: :)

As far as Calculus goes, it's looking to me like most schools are starting to require stats, not calculus (for sure Wash U, CSU, and UC Davis). A&M now accepts stats or calculus.

I would definitely apply OOS, because often you have something that is not unique to your state, but might be to another.

As far as your husband goes...well, that IS tricky. And I may not be the best person to advise on that as I sure did break off a 3 year engagement because he was distracting me from my studies, BUT, I do understand you not wanting to traipse off to vet school and leave him alone.

It is possible to rent out your house, thus allowing you to keep it and possibly have your husband move with you, but that doesn't help with his job.

I think the best way would be to talk to him about it and see if he would prefer to move with you or stay there. If he would absolutely not be happy doing either, then it is a choice between the hubby and the OOS schools.

And that choice is something I can't even pretend to help you with.

Hopefully, it won't come up and you'll do fabulously this year in your grades and making it into Ok, and everything will be awesome though.

I'll do the good luck voodoo dance for you. ;)

As far as Calculus goes, it's looking to me like most schools are starting to require stats, not calculus (for sure Wash U, CSU, and UC Davis). A&M now accepts stats or calculus.

Yeah, I do have stats. At least, I'm pretty sure it's upper division and all. I needed that of OKSU as well. I just noticed that, for example, it looked like Colorado wanted calc only. Of course, I'm not really sure I should even begin to worry about what CSU wants... haha. (As in, you know, fat chance!)

As far as your husband goes...well, that IS tricky. And I may not be the best person to advise on that as I sure did break off a 3 year engagement because he was distracting me from my studies, BUT, I do understand you not wanting to traipse off to vet school and leave him alone.

It is possible to rent out your house, thus allowing you to keep it and possibly have your husband move with you, but that doesn't help with his job.

I think the best way would be to talk to him about it and see if he would prefer to move with you or stay there. If he would absolutely not be happy doing either, then it is a choice between the hubby and the OOS schools.

And that choice is something I can't even pretend to help you with.

Thankfully, he would NEVER make me choose one way or the other. I just understand that his job is well-paying and he enjoys it a lot, and he was really lucky in getting it and probably couldn't duplicate his success at another university or... similar location... that uses wireless...? I'm not even sure where else BESIDES a university he could work.

He also understands that I have wanted this since way before he came around (we've been together for 5 years now) so he can't in any way restrain me from doing what I've always wanted. But... he doesn't do the whole "alone" thing very well. Not very well at all. I'm okay with the fact that he needs me, but it makes the whole "livig apart" thing much harder.

And, my parents signed for the house along with me... otherwise our lack of credit would have resulted in giant payments and lots of interest... so it's kind of THIER house that we're paying on. So, it's like... complicated. :p

Hopefully, it won't come up and you'll do fabulously this year in your grades and making it into Ok, and everything will be awesome though.

Yeah, I still think OKSU is my best bet. I'd planned to stay here all along. It's just a bit unnerving to see that, of ALL these people on this forum, someting like five people are actually interested in OKSU at all. I know it's small, and all the walls are made of metal (haha, let me know if you toured and noticed that), but it still seems like the students that graduate from there do pretty well... so I probably shouldn't worry about all that, and just be glad that I have a vet school in-state at all!

Thanks for the dance. ;) I'm going to eat some pancakes, walk the corgi, and enjoy my flippin' spring break (and wedding anniversary) despite all this vet school... CRAP. There, I said it. :D

twelvetigers, have you done a post-mortem interview with OKSU? That would probably be really helpful. Usually if you work on what they tell you to work on, your chances dramatically improve for the next year. I understand your reluctance to leave OK. Only you can decide what is best for your marriage and career. Good luck in whatever you choose.

They don't start those until June, but I do plan on going. I already met with Robin about my summer and fall course options... so I'm on the ball there. I just hope that I can do enough to really help my GPA. Me and chemistry, we've never been good friends. Unless it had a "bio" before it. Then it was love at first sight. :love: Haha.

I think I can do it for next year. It just feels so far away now. I guess that after 16 years of school (4 of those being college) the extra year before the extra 4 years is kind of like, "Urrrgh." But, what else do I have to do?

I tutor chemistry at my undergrad university. I can tell you that the best way to help yourself in chemistry is to study a little bit every week. Not just before a test.
I have confidence in you!

If anything, I'll just be retaking some sort of Chem I type course... with a bunch of freshmen... not my idea of fun, but maybe my idea of funny. I feel sorry in advance for my lab partner.

I think my problem with chemistry was that I got nothing (seriously, NOTHING) in high school. So when I hit college, I was like, "What's going on? Wait, what? Lewis structures? Carbon with four bonds? Huh?" Seriously, I was clueless. So, as the chems got harder, I just kept paddling upstream. I didn't make much headway until biochem, which was kind of like, *clouds part, bright light shines down*... if I have to re-take organic chem, I... won't be happy... atall... otherwise it's cool.

The bad thing about Organic is that it is all memorization of non interesting stuff.
I mean there are "rules", but then every other compound breaks the rules. I tutor that as well, and let me tell you, it is MUCH easier to tutor than it is to do. See, I'm not the one taking the test, so I don't have to have everything memorized. I can look it up. :p

The bad thing about Organic is that it is all memorization of non interesting stuff.
I mean there are "rules", but then every other compound breaks the rules. I tutor that as well, and let me tell you, it is MUCH easier to tutor than it is to do. See, I'm not the one taking the test, so I don't have to have everything memorized. I can look it up. :p

Hahaha soo true Steelmagghia! I tutor Organic as well, and the other day I was teaching SN1/SN2 & E1/E2, which is like the least favorite part of Ochem 1 for me to teach (I like stereochemistry!), and I started by telling them, "There's a chart at the end of the chapter that you need to memorize so that you know which path your reaction will take." Then the first thing I did 2 minutes later when I started teaching it was open up the book to look at the chart hahaha :laugh:

Oh yeah. Though I did learn that formic acid is officially the most painful acid I've worked with. I'm one of those people who was never very good at not getting stuff all over me. Hydrochloric, sulfuric, any other acid....no problem.
Ants knew where it was at when they got the formic acid weapons going though. I STILL have a scar. :laugh:

Well, here goes again!! I guess I'd better dust off the GRE study guides!!

I'll be applying for c/o 2013 too. I go to Penn for undergrad, and our career services dept. wants everything in to them by the beginning of June, like LOR, a copy of the VMCAS app w/ the personal statement, etc. It's kinda crazy because a year from now I might still not know if I've gotten in anywhere, yet I've already handed out forms to my evaluators and done a rough draft of my personal statement. Keeps me on track though I guess, and I'll only have to worry about supplementary apps over the summer and in the fall then.. Right now my list of schools is:
Penn (IS), VA-MD, Cornell, Tufts, Ohio State

The SO situation is worrying me too. I've been with my SO for 5 and a half years already, so I'd really like for him to come with me wherever I go to school. Problem is that he'll have just graduated the semester before and I'm not sure how the job situation will be. Hopefully it will all work out, and there's still quite a while before we really have to worry about it.

How about a 2014 roll call? Oh man, If I knew when I graduated highschool in 2004 that I had 10 years of college ahead of me, I think I would have gone to live under a bridge with some stray cats. Crazy cat lady, under the bridge.

I think that the bonus year will be the best route for me. I'm still convinced that I need it.

I'll be applying for my first time to the University of Florida! I'm only a Sophomore, so I'm going to try to stay in-state for the first application cycle...

nyanko, I thought you got into Davis--??
But I'm glad I have a few in-the-same-boat folks to commiserate with in this thread!!:)

nyanko, I thought you got into Davis--??
But I'm glad I have a few in-the-same-boat folks to commiserate with in this thread!!:)

i got an interview, but I did not get an acceptance yesterday and historically that probably means that my rejection is on its way today. :p

Are you going to apply to Davis again next year? I'm thinking of expanding my applications but it's going to cause a lot of relationship turmoil so I don't know.

I'm sorry 'bout that! It sucks, don't it?
Yeah, I'm IS, so why not? I'll reapply to Western and Davis--word has it that Davis undergrads have a better chance at Davis, so I'd say go for it! Does Davis do post-mortem app reviews?
Plus, I like Cali, and would rather stay here. :)

Yeah, I'm applying for 2013 and I've been freaking out about the GRE and application deadlines and the like already!
I'll likely be applying to:
Georgia (my state school)
Wisconsin
Kansas
Cornell
and maybe Western, Oklahoma, and Illinois

As for the SO, I'm married I try not to think about moving etc. because its alot of "what if's" at this point and it just drives us both nuts.