2013 applicant roll call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Kinda off-topic, but this is really cool! What are you doing over in Africa this summer?

We're doing safari-type stuff for a week, and spending the rest of the time building a church/school, tutoring English, and I guess playing with da kids and their pet lions :D

Members don't see this ad.

Another one giving it another shot next year!

word has it that Davis undergrads have a better chance at Davis, so I'd say go for it!

Does Davis do post-mortem app reviews?

That'd be pretty reassuring if I went to UCD for undergrad. ;)

(I just live here - though I am an employee of the school of vet med)

And yes, they do the reviews starting in May. I'm actually pretty excited to hear ways that I can improve for next year. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Woo class of 2013!! (hopefully)

Right now I've got UPenn, Ohio, Oregon, PEI, Iowa, Virginia-Maryland, and Florida on my short list of schools I'll be applying to.

Right now I'm just freaking out about the GRE I'll be taking in only 2 weeks!!!!:eek::scared:

Hey!

I'll most likely be applying to the OVC at the University of Guelph for the Class of 2013. But I have until early 2009 to decide so we'll see how it goes with this semester's finals and the fall semester. Good luck to you all!!

Will be applying... 1st time. :scared:

So far the list is:
UC Davis (IS)
Colorado
WSU
Tufts
Penn
Cornell

and maaaybe Ohio... but that 50k OOS tuition is a big deterrent

That reminds me.... gotta start writing my personal statement!

I'm planning on applying to:
NCSU
Virginia-Maryland
UPenn
Tufts
Mississippi
Iowa
Minnesota
Colorado
Wisconsin
Illinois

Might end up eliminating MN and Wisconsin--Not sure I could handle the cold! All those out of state spots look pretty appealing, though! :)

ferral -- Ohio lets you get residency after just one year VERY easily. Just FYI.

That'd be pretty reassuring if I went to UCD for undergrad. ;)

(I just live here - though I am an employee of the school of vet med)

And yes, they do the reviews starting in May. I'm actually pretty excited to hear ways that I can improve for next year. :)

Bummer, dude (about not having the student "in" membership card!)! I'm pretty sure the numero uno area I need to to work on is my sub-par quant score on the GRE (I'm a math dummy/former English major)! I really hate that freakin' test!!
+pissed+

First-time applier here!

So far, I've decided on:
Wisconsin (IS)
Tufts
Illinois

It's a little frustrating, since I'm a returning student and have spent the past two semesters doing nothing-but-science (previously a linguist), so I've been taking the prereqs and not having room for anything else to beef up my application...and I'm currently trying to decide if I want to take classes next spring, also (could be done in fall), and apply to a few other schools with more prereqs, or if I want to apply to fewer schools and pick up again the year after if I NEED more 'cause I don't get in...

Just one more frustration on a long list, eh? Currently also gracing that page is:

GRE-Panic. I ROCK the verbal section. Not so much the quant. Unfortunately, it's the quant they want, so much more studying to be done.
Personal statement - this has been plaguing me since I decided to come back to school and go for it.

And yes, the SO thing - Wisconsin would be the easiest school, since husband and I are in Milwaukee now, could live halfway between, and he could keep his current job...but it's not my top choice (we both grew up in Madison and are ready for a change.)

We've decided to cross that bridge when we come to it - whether it means living apart for a few months until he can find a job wherever accepts me, or whatever. Haven't even applied yet - so perhaps I'm counting a few too many chickens...

My turn! (Again, obviously pending wait-lists for this year)

My schools, at the moment, are:

Iowa State
Univ. of Illinois
Tufts
OK State
UGA
Auburn
Ohio State (maybe)
Colorado State
UF (only because it's IS, but I'd rather go OOS!)

I'll probably expand on this list, too. I know I previously said that I wouldn't re-apply to schools that don't interview, but after thinking about that again, there are some really great schools I'd like to go to that don't interview! So, sue me. :p

well i'm waitlisted currently for missouri but if i don't get it then i'll definitely be applying next year.. my tentative list so far is...

Missouri
kansas
Iowa
UTK
Mississippi
Florida

i'm hoping the third try will be the charm

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm basically done with UF. This will be my 3rd shot. I'll being applying to:

UGA (I'm moving!)
OKSU

and any other school that it nice to non-trads and will actually read the whole app.

I'm still having a hard time deciding if I'll apply this next round... I think I will. Because, I like my house and don't want to move, and IS tuition for OKSU is a fraction of tuition costs anywhere else.

If I do, it'll be OKSU, Western, CSU, KSU, and I like the sound of UTK. I jst have to check all of the pre-reqs and stuff.

Philo, you should try Western as well - they seem like they take everything into consideration.

ferral -- Ohio lets you get residency after just one year VERY easily. Just FYI.

Thanks wi. Yeah, I was reading up on that... Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they require you to document a full time income over your first year there in order to gain residency during the next 3 years. Maybe there are some loopholes that I don't know about but working full time during 1st year vet school doesn't sound fun! :eek:

Aww, Philo--so it's a no-go for UF? I'm sorry--I was rootin' 4 ya! Here's hopin' we both make it iin SOMEWHERE this next round!:luck:

Thanks wi. Yeah, I was reading up on that... Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they require you to document a full time income over your first year there in order to gain residency during the next 3 years. Maybe there are some loopholes that I don't know about but working full time during 1st year vet school doesn't sound fun! :eek:

Jeez! I just thought they absolutely required that you pay for it yourself entirely (i.e. no parental help of any sort) if you were to get in-state tuition.

Also applying this year.

UF
UPenn
Cornell
Ohio

Maybes:
Minessota
Wisconsin (native)
North Carolina
Texas A&M

Hi All,

This will be my second time applying (I only applied to UC Davis, and was rejected). Davis is the only school I want to go to, since my husband is enrolled in a Ph.D. program in Palo Alto.

Hi All,
This will be my second time applying (I only applied to UC Davis, and was rejected). Davis is the only school I want to go to, since my husband is enrolled in a Ph.D. program in Palo Alto.

Yay another member of the "only applied to Davis and probably only will apply to Davis" club o'rejection! I mean, it's an awesome club since I'm in it! It's even cooler if you're in the "interviewed but rejected" sector of the club with me, very exclusive, VIP and such. ;)

Anyway, my boyfriend is in a PhD program at UC Davis, so I can't go anywhere else either without causing a lot of turmoil. Then again, it's still up in the air whether I'm going to apply this year again or do a MS in between and go for class of 2014. Still either way, it's UCD or nothing for me. :)

For everyone who is applying this year, I just got this in my inbox from VMCAS and it sounds like a great chance to view their new application format:

Greetings,

The 2009 VMCAS application will launch early June 2008. This is an exciting time for the VMCAS application as it is being upgraded to a new system. Before we launch the new system, we are asking students and school admissions staff to assist us in testing the application. We will open the application for testing from Wednesday, April 16, 2008 until Tuesday, April 22, 2008.

If you are interested in helping us test the application and identify problems or ways to improve the application, please send an email as soon as possible to Shaba Lightfoot at [email protected] with your name and your email address. Please put “Application Tester” in the subject line. Testers will be contacted with instructions once the application is ready.

If you are applying through this year’s VMCAS application, the testing process will allow you a sneak peek into the brand new application that will be launched in June.

Please help us deliver a top-notch product. Your input is invaluable.

If you have any questions, I can be contacted by email at [email protected] or on the Student & Advisor Hotline at our toll-free number
1 (877) 866-2740.

Thank you for your assistance.

Thanks,

VMCAS

I emailed them. Human Computer Interaction is kind of up my alley.

Has anyone else applying this/next year not taken the GRE yet? I already feel like I'm so far behind and the application isn't even out!

When I applied last year, I didn't take the GRE until August, and it was fine (but I was not planning on having to retake it). It only takes like 20 mins to call the automated service and list out all the schools you need your scores sent to, so it's not big of a deal if you're organized about it. :)

:sleep:Got an appointment for my file review today for UGA....First week of June. UGHHHH! By the time this process is through I am either going to have the patience of a saint or a ticket to the looney bin. Well on the bright side, perhaps Ill have better GRE news by then. One can only hope.

Has anyone else applying this/next year not taken the GRE yet? I already feel like I'm so far behind and the application isn't even out!

I successfully applied this last year and didn't take the GRE until the middle of August! I guess it was a little risky because I didn't leave time to re-take it.

The test pretty much confirmed what I already knew: I'm good at math, can write decently well, and don't know many non-scientific big words. Oh well. Luckily for me, the schools I applied to seemed to favor my high quant score and not look too harshly on my horrible verbal score.

Yay another member of the "only applied to Davis and probably only will apply to Davis" club o'rejection! I mean, it's an awesome club since I'm in it! It's even cooler if you're in the "interviewed but rejected" sector of the club with me, very exclusive, VIP and such. ;)

Anyway, my boyfriend is in a PhD program at UC Davis, so I can't go anywhere else either without causing a lot of turmoil. Then again, it's still up in the air whether I'm going to apply this year again or do a MS in between and go for class of 2014. Still either way, it's UCD or nothing for me. :)
Oh, yes...can I be VP of your club? I also interviewed and was rejected. I feel pretty crazy for just applying to UC Davis for another round, but I'm just not ready to break up my family yet!! It's nice to know that there are others in the same situation...

I'm just hoping that the file review next month will provide some illuminating advice beyond what I already know (low GPA, which will continue to stay that way).

I'll be secretary for that club! --I'm a single, SoCal gal who just doesn't want to leave Cali! :oops:

I too didn't take it 'til Aug of last year, but plan to retake it sometime before then this time around--my math skills are a little sub-par. I think you can take it up to 3x in a year, once per month (but you might want to check on that). My problem now is motivation to practice that math! :oops:

I'm just hoping that the file review next month will provide some illuminating advice beyond what I already know (low GPA, which will continue to stay that way).

I think you are my twin. ;)

That's mostly why I'm considering the MS. My GPA isn't going to change with more undergrad courses - I have 2 BS degrees and 200 undergrad credits. I need to distinguish myself academically some other way if that's what the biggest problem in my application was.

I'm also applying for the first time this summer.

Currently my list is
Purdue (IS)
Illinois
Wisconsin
Colorado
Tufts

I'm so nervous already! :oops:

I'm applying this year for this first time as well. I think about it every day and the apps aren't even out yet! Mostly stressing about my personal statement.

I would ultimately like to be an equine surgeon, perhaps orthopedics. I'm not completely decided yet, but my tentative list is:
U of Penn (IS)
Ohio State
Colorado U
Texas?
UC Davis?
Almost forgot North Caroline!

I think I'll sit down and go over every school today and make my official list. :)

Alright, well.

It's about 90% official now that I will not be applying for the class of 2013 and will likely be going for 2014 instead. A professor in the UCD vet school (who was one of my interviewers, incidentally) will be taking me under her tutelage in order to do a 2 year MS in Animal Biology with some really interesting research that's perfect for me. She went over my application with me a little bit and agreed that this will help out substantially (addressing 2 concerns: lackluster GPA and not enough diversity in experience), plus the research is just so cool that I couldn't pass it up. So you'll all have to be accepted without me this year. :)

Not that we dont have PLENTY of time...but for those who havent checked out the VMCAS website lately, they posted that the application cycle will go online June 4th. I keep checking in to see the updated school requirements but they havent updated those yet.

Nyanko, if you're working with Dr. Lyons I am soooo jealous (and I don't even want to go into academia but her work is so very cool!)

Nyanko, if you're working with Dr. Lyons I am soooo jealous (and I don't even want to go into academia but her work is so very cool!)

Oh oh! I liked her. She was one of my interviewers, too, and she was by far the friendliest and the most engaged. She also asked me the whackiest question I was asked in all of my interviews, but it was cool.

Yay, nyanko! Mentorship like that is so much further reaching, too, than just helping you out with vet school admissions. This is the sort of relationship that can help make your career. I think this is a really, really great move. Good for you, and best of luck!!

Okay, So I will try again but going to pick my schools a little differently this time...looking forward to the stress :D

Oregon State (I went there for two years in undergrad-waitlisted right now)
Tufts (IS)
Western (I don't have the speech class requirement- anyone every get around that- I can't find a course that fits my schedule)
Upenn
Cornell

Maybe's (have to look into OS acceptances)
Uminn
Iowa
Wisc

First time applier, I'll be taking this next year off to apply and work.

For sure: Oregon State (IS tuition=very yes)
And as many others that I meet reqs for and can afford to apply to:
Auburn University VA-Maryland
Davis Tufts
Colorado State Tennessee
Cornell U Penn
Minnesota Missouri
Illinois
Wisconsin
.Washington..

As far as SO goes, my boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years, he is going to Atlanta to get a Ph.D. in engineering and I, for at least the next year, will be in Portland so we are gonna try out the long distance thing and see how it goes : ) .

Not worried about the SO. If I move he'll follow when he's done with undergrad.

Only applying to 3 schools, and it looks like I only have a chance (and a small one :() at acceptance for one....
NCSU (IS)
UC DAVIS (top choice :()
Cornell

So disheartened guys, so disheartened.

I took mine in September last year when I applied. It worked out quite well for me since I studied during the summer. So don't stress about it! :) Take it when you feel comfortable and ready. I did make sure with every school that I was okay to take them that late (they had deadlines for taking the GRE on their websites).

Whoa, nyanko! Dr. Lyons' stuff is so cool! I was assigned PKD for a presentation in my cell bio class, and (being that vet. research is my main interest), I talked a lot about her work! very exciting.

I haven't taken the GRE yet either

So disheartened guys, so disheartened.

It's hard not be disheartened by this process. We all want to be vets so bad that the thought of failing and having to give up the dream can be really overwhelming. As stupid as it sounds, sometimes I just wish my heart could talk to an admissions committee and tell them just how passionate I am about this. Silly, I know.

All we can do is our best and see what happens. A vet I work with once said that I overestimate other vet applicants. Not everyone applying has a 4.0, worked at a clinic since they were born, is a published researcher, and is a world champion horse racer all while holding down a full time job, pulling kittens out of trees, and working for world peace. It is possible! Even though it's hard we have to have a little faith... at least that's what I keep telling myself!

You'll all be okay!!! Be EXCITED for when you hear back that you're accepted. It doesn't help anything to worry your life away - I think I would have saved myself a lot of grief if I had just chilled out. It's wierd to look back and see myself in your shoes last year. Really, I worried for nothing. Isn't that good to hear? ;)