2013 applicant roll call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not everyone applying has a 4.0, worked at a clinic since they were born, is a published researcher, and is a world champion horse racer all while holding down a full time job, pulling kittens out of trees, and working for world peace.
:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard not be disheartened by this process. We all want to be vets so bad that the thought of failing and having to give up the dream can be really overwhelming. As stupid as it sounds, sometimes I just wish my heart could talk to an admissions committee and tell them just how passionate I am about this. Silly, I know.

All we can do is our best and see what happens. A vet I work with once said that I overestimate other vet applicants. Not everyone applying has a 4.0, worked at a clinic since they were born, is a published researcher, and is a world champion horse racer all while holding down a full time job, pulling kittens out of trees, and working for world peace. It is possible! Even though it's hard we have to have a little faith... at least that's what I keep telling myself!

I think I overestimate everyone too. Maybe it'll make me work harder.
Seriously though, we need more people pulling kittens out of trees! :)

Looks like I will be joining all of you for 2013! I'm almost 24, non-traditional, first-time applicant.

Western is my first choice - I live in CA with my SO of 9+ years who is in school in LA as well.

I'll probably also apply to CSU, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

Sadly my undergrad major is inapplicable (psychology) and I am working my butt off to finish science pre-reqs in time. I'm a little worried about experience, as I don't have the crazy number of hours that most of the applicants have - I currently have 200+ hours at a shelter vet clinic and I will probably be interning the entire summer to bring my hours up even more, but it's still scary. I hope the committees will be understanding since I'm a non-traditional applicant.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've changed my mind like 20 times about where to apply! I'm on my 16th personal statement draft. I think I just need to walk away and wait for the darn application to come out...

Revised list:
Illinois
Florida
California
Colorado
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Washington

But who knows. :( It changes relative to my confidence level on any given day. So many factors to consider.

I'm thinking I'll aim for these this time:
Western
Davis
Cornell
Wisconsin
Ross
Maybe LSU &/or CSU--??

Well, kids, here we go again! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Nyanko! And good luck to you on all of your research--it sounds like you're excited about that! That's awesome!:luck:

Hey everyone.. this summer will be my first time applying for vet school, and I'm already nervous. So far my top choices are: Tuskegee, Kansas, Mississippi, and Wisconsin. I'm also applying to Cornell because I'm in-state, but we'll see how that goes. =\ I'm still researching schools, so I expect the list to grow. Here's to a stress free summer!

As far as the SO, I don't have the issue.. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.. haha.

:wow:I have all of about 5 sentences written (which will ultimately be erased).

I have about 5 revisions of an opening sentence leading into my decision to not pursue what my undergrad degree was in.

Had my last final for spring semester today, now I get to nervously await grades. Finished undergrad with a 3.0 and am going crazy to make up for it. Have taken 28 credits since them with roughly a 3.85 GPA, another 9 credits this summer, then another 15 or so in the fall and I should have pretty much all the classes I need done.

:wow:I have all of about 5 sentences written (which will ultimately be erased).
Well, not to downplay the value I place on my job, but I find that I can spend a lot of my free moments at work obsessing over vet school apps. This is both a good and a bad thing.

I'm a research tech. and when I don't have an experiment that needs attending to or supplies that need re-stocking (and sometimes even if I do!), I'm trying to be constructive with my pre-application jitters.

Perhaps this will make you feel better: if I were going to school or worrying about a "real job" I wouldn't have the luxury of having already completed my P.S. So don't feel behind the curve- I'm just lucky (and unlucky) in that I have time to obsess.

OK, guys - who else is starting to have the random minor panic attack here?

I'm still trying to figure out where to apply exactly - Tufts (top choice) and Wisconsin (IS) are still firmly on the list, but after a loooong talk with my husband, I've started exploring options outside of our initial geographical designation. The two that I'm most exploring now are Mizzou and CSU.

*jitter* seriously, guys - it's almost our turn!

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, guys - who else is starting to have the random minor panic attack here?

I'm still trying to figure out where to apply exactly - Tufts (top choice) and Wisconsin (IS) are still firmly on the list, but after a loooong talk with my husband, I've started exploring options outside of our initial geographical designation. The two that I'm most exploring now are Mizzou and CSU.

*jitter* seriously, guys - it's almost our turn!

I've been having minor panic attacks about it for like the past 6 months! AHHHH!!! Hopefully someone will have mercy on my animal obsessed self!

Okay, so I think I know more of the schools I'm applying to.

The short list, presently, includes:
*Va/Md (my in state school. I've had two interviews here, but haven't made it in yet.)
*Penn
*Tufts
*Missouri

I'll probably add a couple more I'm sort of considering. My current issue is that I've never taken microbiology or micro lab. My undergrad degree only required cell, and I was pretty focused on Va/Md, which doesn't require micro. Does anyone have any tips for finding a course like this offered in the evening? I've checked a few colleges near me, but couldn't find anything that would fit my work schedule.

Okay, so I think I know more of the schools I'm applying to.

The short list, presently, includes:
*Va/Md (my in state school. I've had two interviews here, but haven't made it in yet.)
*Penn
*Tufts
*Missouri

I'll probably add a couple more I'm sort of considering. My current issue is that I've never taken microbiology or micro lab. My undergrad degree only required cell, and I was pretty focused on Va/Md, which doesn't require micro. Does anyone have any tips for finding a course like this offered in the evening? I've checked a few colleges near me, but couldn't find anything that would fit my work schedule.

You might want to consider UTK. We don't require microbio, and I, personally, love it here. Here's the link to the requirements page.

http://www.vet.utk.edu/admissions/procedure.php#prevet_courses

I'm a first-timer too applying for the c/o 2013. Right now I'm looking at:
CSU (IS)
KSU
Minn
Iowa
Miss
Ill
Western
WSU
Possibly UPenn
Yeah, pretty much anyone who will let me in and who will take my prereqs:)

Thanks wi. Yeah, I was reading up on that... Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they require you to document a full time income over your first year there in order to gain residency during the next 3 years. Maybe there are some loopholes that I don't know about but working full time during 1st year vet school doesn't sound fun! :eek:

You are wrong :p You just need to show that you didn't get any out of state help with your expenses, which is not a problem if you are like most people living off of loans.

Thanks, pressmom! I'll be sure to check UTK out. I'm trying to apply to a pretty wide range of schools this year, so I'm looking into all of my options.

I'm going to try UF for the 3rd time....even after I got rejected twice in the same year. I will put off moving to Georgia for one more year. Am I nucking futs??? Dear God help me. :)

If you are, there are a bunch of us around. You know we'll be rootin' for ya, philo.

I'm going to try UF for the 3rd time....even after I got rejected twice in the same year. I will put off moving to Georgia for one more year. Am I nucking futs??? Dear God help me. :)

If you dont mind me asking.. what made you change your mind? Did you have your file review? Did they say something that made you feel like your chances will improve next cycle. Just curious.

Well, not to downplay the value I place on my job, but I find that I can spend a lot of my free moments at work obsessing over vet school apps. This is both a good and a bad thing.

I'm a research tech. and when I don't have an experiment that needs attending to or supplies that need re-stocking (and sometimes even if I do!), I'm trying to be constructive with my pre-application jitters.

Perhaps this will make you feel better: if I were going to school or worrying about a "real job" I wouldn't have the luxury of having already completed my P.S. So don't feel behind the curve- I'm just lucky (and unlucky) in that I have time to obsess.

It could be worse: you could be a biotech manufacturing drone & have even MORE free time--it's just that I spend it on this forum, Catster, and StuffonMyCat.com! I used to be a research tech, but somehow, over the years, got down-graded to manufacturing warm body.
Yeeeaawh!! :hardy:

If you dont mind me asking.. what made you change your mind? Did you have your file review? Did they say something that made you feel like your chances will improve next cycle. Just curious.

My dad died April 5th. My mom just lives a few doors down. I am going to stay one more year here to help her out.

i was thinking of applying my 3rd time this year but im scared of rejection :( i mean, has anyone gotten the wavering thought of either applying one more time or attending a carib vet school?

My dad died April 5th. My mom just lives a few doors down. I am going to stay one more year here to help her out.

Sorry to hear that philo. I think those are pretty extenuating circumstances, so you can hold off on the "nucking futs" title for at least another year. :)

Yeah, I'm sorry, Philo. I know there are lot of us here--myself included--who are rootin' for ya!! :luck:

i was thinking of applying my 3rd time this year but im scared of rejection :( i mean, has anyone gotten the wavering thought of either applying one more time or attending a carib vet school?

i put off applying because i was afraid of rejection, too. "i'm gonna apply to vet school" sounds much better than "i got rejected from vet school" but then i realized that if i wanted it i'd have to apply and take a chance. you can't get in if you don't apply. now i wish i wouldn't have waited that extra year and had just applied sooner. i told myself that i'd do it 3 times then move on. at some point, i'd get into diminishing returns. lol, i could just picture being a 10th timer in my late 30's putting off getting a real career cause "i'm gonna make it in this year", lol.
i got in on my second round and i'm convinced it was becasue i did a post-mortem interview and 'fixed' what i could.
the vet i work for is a fantastic vet and it took him 3 trys to get in. i don't think the number of times you apply indicate the quality of vet you will be.
if i'd have given up after my first try, i'd have never gotten in this year. i'm sure there are others in the same boat and as long as you're being realistic about your application and qualifications, i think you'll be fine. (ie, a 2.5 with no experience has no chance) you never know what the admissions committes are looking for from one year to the next.i'm convinced that there is a degree of randomness to the whole process.

...but then i realized that if i wanted it i'd have to apply and take a chance. you can't get in if you don't apply.

My favorite montra of late is " You can't win the lotto if you dont buy a ticket." :D

Hi!

I'm new, but have been lurking for a few months, and now that I'm committed to applying this cycle I decided to start posting :D.

I'm trying not to go TOO crazy with applications... The short list is something like this, in no particular order:

Penn
Oregon
Colorado
Davis
Wisconsin
Washington?

I am nervous but E X C I T E D. And trying not to take it all too seriously!!

I've been saying "Next year..." too much. It's finally time to commit and just apply already!

Hi fellow 2013 hopefuls :) I'll probably be on here a LOT this year.

Wow! Count me in too! I can't believe it's summer again... time to start pulling all the application stuff together :eek:. Let's hope I remember where I put it all.

My short list:
Davis
WA
Colorado

Maybe (as in yeah right :p) list:
Penn
Cornell
Texas A&M
Florida

And I need to decide soon if I want to try for the dvm/phd programs or not... yikes. I'm nervous already.

Anyone else getting "security certificate" errors when they try to access the VMCAS application site. Im assuming is just an opening day gliche, but I was curious.

https://portal.vmcas.org/

Thanks Nyanco! How've you been? I'll admit that I haven't been on the board much since the last time I applied. I can't believe it's already been 2 yrs.

Are you using Mozilla or Internet Explorer or something else? I use Mozilla predominantly and have been on VMCAS on and off all day and I haven't gotten any errors. If you are having problems with one browser, try another one to see if you still get the same errors.

Crazy that the application is out! Now I really have to get working on my PS!

I'm sure everybody's busy putting in all of their information in the VMCAS, right now.
By the time I got the kids to camp and came back, I was in the thousands.:rolleyes:

I'm sure everybody's busy putting in all of their information in the VMCAS, right now.
By the time I got the kids to camp and came back, I was in the thousands.:rolleyes:

Me too!...When I saw mine, I was hoping that was just some random number that had been assigned and not the number of people who had already set up an account. Holy Cow! Looks like a banner year.

How do you tell which number you are?

My VMCAS ID is like 2009 followed by 7 numbers. Which portion of that correlates to how many people have signed up?

Just curious, I know it doesn't make a darn bit of difference.

Haha after much re-evaluation and some hilarious phoe calls with my dad I am adding as possible schools:

TA&M
OKSU
Iowa
Illinois

I tried so hard to cut down to just a few, and then I added everything right back on! Plus, don't tell DH, but I'm also considering RCVS (He's from England but loovvvvvvvvvvvvessss California so much that he doesn't want to go back!)

:luck::luck:thinking good thoughts for everyone. good luck all!:luck::luck:

I'm hoping that the number is just random. However, last year, I was one of the first to get through to the site and was number 50 something. That's a 2008 a 07 then a bunch of zeros followed by 5X. This year, instead of zeros, there were a bunch of other numbers, so I'm assuming that I was not within the first hundred to register.

Last year, I only applied to UF and interviewed but was not accepted. I was told the major reason I wasn't accepted was I didn't have enough equine veterinary experience (I indicated I wanted to be an equine vet). This year I will be applying to UF, UGA, Illinois, Mississippi State, OK State, U of Missouri, Iowa State, K State, and possibly VMRC and Purdue.

Last year, I only applied to UF and interviewed but was not accepted. I was told the major reason I wasn't accepted was I didn't have enough equine veterinary experience (I indicated I wanted to be an equine vet). This year I will be applying to UF, UGA, Illinois, Mississippi State, OK State, U of Missouri, Iowa State, K State, and possibly VMRC and Purdue.

We're you able to get anymore equine hours since then? Did they give you an indication of how many hours they wanted you to have. Sounds like you have a pretty good shot at UF this year if you did what they suggested. UGA is sooooo picky about OSS but I wish you luck. Our lists are similar...no Purdue or Miss for me though. Hopefully, Ill be IS for UGA by August (crossing fingers).

I've volunteered at the UF Neonatal Intensive Care Unit ~4 hours/week since February, and I did about 300 hours at an equine clinic last month. I'm going to also do some more time at an equine reproduction center (which I did all of last summer as well), and two of my three letters will be from equine vets. They didn't tell me how many hours they wanted, they just said get as many as I can :rolleyes:. I figured I'd apply to UGA since I was taking the Biology GRE for OK State and it's nearby for me. Thanks for thinking I have good stats though, I was reading the successful applicant thread and feeling a little disheartened. :-/

Truth, this year's numbers could have been different because of the people given early access to VMCAS as part of the evaluation of the the new layout... just a thought.