2013 COMLEX Level 2 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willen101383

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post your COMLEX Level 2 scores, and everything pertaining to Lvl 2 here. Took my CE on 4/24. 4 weeks out and still waiting for my score.

Members don't see this ad.

I focused on Uworld and just added on savarese and combank OMM Q's. I ended up blowing this test out of the water.

I think you should stick to the source you are learning the best from. If you are learning from Uworld stick to that no need for combank Q's.DO NOT neglect OMM easy points on the test, focus on cranial, sacral/ pelvic DX and viscerosomatics

Thanks so much! I like your advice. I'm still pretty good with the bread and butter OMM topics and continuing to review.

Any news on when the next batch of scores are supposed to come out? Took it 19th of August hopping I'll be in the next release

Members don't see this ad :)
They said The next batch of COMLEX Level 2 CE scores which was taken on the dates 8/12 – 8/26 are expected to be released between 9/17-9/20. Scores and score reports will be available via your NBOME Client Registration System.

I was just wondering if anyone took the test yesterday? Because I walked out of it thinking it was impossible. Stuff that you cant study for... I did well on Step 1 and kinda felt bad about that, but this test was brutal. As i went through every section... It did not seem to get any better... just hoping for a pass. I did uworld x1 (74%) and comquest 1.5x (76%), SUS2 and this test had Nothing in similarity to either of those q banks. Just wondering if other ppl felt like they ran into a brick wall during the test?

I was just wondering if anyone took the test yesterday? Because I walked out of it thinking it was impossible. Stuff that you cant study for... I did well on Step 1 and kinda felt bad about that, but this test was brutal. As i went through every section... It did not seem to get any better... just hoping for a pass. I did uworld x1 (74%) and comquest 1.5x (76%), SUS2 and this test had Nothing in similarity to either of those q banks. Just wondering if other ppl felt like they ran into a brick wall during the test?

I had a similar feeling on 8/12...

They said The next batch of COMLEX Level 2 CE scores which was taken on the dates 8/12 – 8/26 are expected to be released between 9/17-9/20. Scores and score reports will be available via your NBOME Client Registration System.

Let the nail biting and obsessive score release checking begin

Take my exam on Wednesday. Just did COMSAE B for level 2 with a 738...that would be dreamy. I know these things aren't very accurate predictors but a little less nervous now. Thought the COMSAE questions were for the most part ridiculously simplistic especially after having my butt kicked on UWORLD for the past month and a half.

Ugh! The waiting is making me nauseous. Took the test 13 August and felt like I got hit by that train in Inception.

Ugh! The waiting is making me nauseous. Took the test 13 August and felt like I got hit by that train in Inception.

Yea the frustrating part is they told me a three day window and it probably won't come out till the last day (Thursday) so the torture is even worse

Definitely US for cholelithiasis, cholecystitis...look for gallbladder wall thickening and possibly dilatation/obstruction of CBD. HIDA is a dynamic test for acalculous cholecystitis when the H&P and labs point to acute chole but the US is non-diagnostic.

I think pericholecystic fluid on U/S is another clue for acute cholecystitis as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my score back as well... Much lower than I was expecting... 60 point drop from step 1. :-(

I don't normally post stuff like this, but I'm feeling pretty good right now. Got my Step 2 score back and I'm happy to say that I had a HUGE improvement over Step 1.

Step 1: 441
Step 2: 550

109 point increase. Wow. Now I just hope that I see a decent increase in the USMLE...next week can't come soon enough. But until then, I'm glad I'm not as dumb as I thought (yes, I know 550 isn't that much to brag about, but considering all I've been through..sweet!)

I don't normally post stuff like this, but I'm feeling pretty good right now. Got my Step 2 score back and I'm happy to say that I had a HUGE improvement over Step 1.

109 point increase. Wow. Now I just hope that I see a decent increase in the USMLE...next week can't come soon enough. But until then, I'm glad I'm not as dumb as I thought (yes, I know 550 isn't that much to brag about, but considering all I've been through..sweet!)

Don't let anyone tell you that a 550 isn't much to brag about. It is, especially since it's such an improvement over your Level 1 score. Don't forget the national average is 500. You should be very proud of yourself. Congratulations!

Congrats on your score. Any recommendations for level 2? What did you do different compared to level 1?

Thanks!

Comlex 1 669
Comlex 2 731
Very happy and surprised I came back with that big of a jump on step 2. felt better then comming out of USMLE but still felt bad because of all the multiple question sets where I was unsure about the first question.. Did mostly UWORLD 1 and 3/4 times (66% first pass 86% second pass) then for the last week used comquest (~ 500 questions high 80s) to get a feel for the style of questions. Used step up to step 2 as primary source with step 2 secrets and DIT as the first part of my studies.

Last edited:
Just took Level 2 yesterday after four weeks of dedicated study time and a week of EM. Prep was as such:

COMLEX Level 1: 518
COMSAE A (pre-test): 426
Savarese cover-to-cover (did this all the first week, specifically for my shelf exam)
First Aid for Step 2 cover-to-cover
COMBANK ~94% completed, overall score ~71% with an upward trend over the month
COMSAE B (post-test): 604

Updated to share: COMLEX Level 2: 609

Well, I'd say that between a) having clinical experience to anchor my studies to and b) learning how to study more effectively, I managed to make Level 2 a much better experience. I heartily endorse COMBANK, although I'll say that there do appear to be certain gaps in the material covered.

Congrats to everyone else, too!

I think pericholecystic fluid on U/S is another clue for acute cholecystitis as well

Test of choice for cholecysitits is US. US will show pericholecystic fluid, wall thickening, stones, and possible "sonographic murphy's sign" ( although in clinical practice this doesn't mean much). Common bile duct diameter is also measured with dilatation of the CBD suggestive of choledocolithiasis.

A HIDA test is used when an US is equivocal. HIDA works by injecting dye ( iminodiacetic acid) intravenously. It is then taken up by hepatocytes and excreted into the biliary system. Since it is taken up into the biliary system, it should go into the gallbladder and duodenum. Failure to visualize the dye in the gallbladder is a positive HIDA. It does not show cholecystitis per say. What it does show is cystic duct obstruction, which implies cholecysitits by definition, which is very sensitive and specific for cholecysitits. You can also use a HIDA to determine the ejection fraction ( using a CCK analogue) which can be used to help diagnose biliary dyskinesia and acalculouse cholecysitits. Since there is no obstruction in the former two gallbladder diseases, you would still be able visualize the gallbladder.

Took my comlex 2 on 8/12. Very happy with the results because I was doing surgery rotations and didn't have any dedicated study time. I was only able to do questions every night. I did Uworld throughout the year for shelves with notes on important information, ( that i never got to review, but I believed writing things down helped with long term retention) and then flew through combank and comquest. I only went through the OB and GYN sections in step up to step 2 and "the green book". Felt like I was going in there taking it knowing what I already knew, and this made me nervous because I went through extensive preparation for Step 1.

I do not have any feedback regarding COMSAEs because I didn't have time to take them.

COMLEX Level 1: 642
COMLEX level 2: 717

congrats to everyone for their strong work!

Took step 2 CE on Sept 18th. Felt like it was evenly spread between subjects overall, but I did have a bit more stats than I expected, and not just sens/spec/PPV/NPV which it did have, but at least 5-7 questions where they gave studies and you had to know about p values and making statements about the hypothesis, etc. I felt using comquest again (as I did for step 1) was a solid qbank for prep and hitting the HY.

Same as in the past though, it's such a hard test to access based on gut feeling. So hopefully scores won't take too long to come out!

Yeah I took my exam on sept 9 as well and those stats questions were impossible! I know I missed probably all of them and making me nervous hopefully it's experimental and gets Thrown out!

No. I don't think they'll release 1 week apart. I think at earliest next week but likely 2 more weeks.

I guess not Oct 7th but 2nd ... Wow that was quick ! I was really surprised at my score... Did very well and all I used to study was combank and step up to medicine!

I took it 9/18 as well. Was really hoping they were gonna include our date into that batch. So I'm guessing it'll be at least 2 more weeks before another release?

Yea I am guessing sometime during the week of the 14th

Scores are up!

Step 1: 626/239

Step 2: 672/251

Used MTB 2/3, UWorld as core
For comlex specific I used pure Omm questions from combank, savarese, and a cheat sheet I made for step 1 that had high yield stuff.

728/98!

Took Sept 21, got some flak at school for taking it earlier than I was supposed to (woops).

I'm pleased to say the least :)