2015 Guide to Dental School Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The 2015 Guide to Dental School Admission is now available. Please note that, as of 6-13-15, pages 1-35 reflect the information from the 2015-2016 ADEA Guide. The remaining information to be revised is in progress. For a complete daily class schedules for years 1 through 4 see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=985933

Comments/reviews on the Guide, subjects included/excluded are welcomed (via post, pm or e-mail- [email protected]).

PERSONAL STATEMENT CRITIQUE IS AVAILABLE. The ps can be sent via pm or to [email protected].

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Guide Section 1N pages 1-33 Mod 6-12-15.doc
    1.4 MB · Views: 9,863
  • Guide Section 3N pages 48-61 Mod 6-12-15.doc
    1.2 MB · Views: 5,192
  • Guide section 4N pages 62-83 6-23-13.doc
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,612
  • Guide Section 2N pages 34-48 6-13-15.doc
    1.2 MB · Views: 6,123
Last edited:
Reactions: 43 users
Thanks Doc! With predents down, your threads are really helping me out!

The Mini Guide is designed to help perspective applicants in their quest for a career in dentistry. It is not intended to be a substitute for other guides, such as the ADEA Guide Dental School.
It seems the doc's retirement from SDN is nearing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is my sincere hope that everyone applying to dental school or preparing to do so, takes full advantage of the incredible resource put together on our pre-dent forum by docT.

Thank you for being around during my own application cycle, as well as for the one before and now, and those to come; you are greatly appreciated throughout it all. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you. I am sure it will help everyone out here.

Thanks doc toothache! Greatly appreciate you help :)

An unabridged guide to dental school admission is now available.

That's a pretty bad ass CV doc! Thanks!

I see in Guide Section 2 , Table 2-4 lists what school's cut-offs are in terms of oldest DAT date accepted, etc. For LECOM, it states 2-1-12 as the oldest date they accept for this upcoming application cycle and I'm wondering where the basis of this information comes from? This is stated on LECOM Dental School's website:

"Each candidate must submit his or her most recent Dental Admission Test (DAT) scores through the American Dental Education Associate application service (ADEA AADSAS). DAT scores taken within the past three years are acceptable. LECOM will consider DATs taken up to February 11, 2013."

So obviously it's not updated yet for the upcoming cycle (which would probably change the February 11, 2013 to ~February 11, 2014) but is it true that they don't accept DAT scores within 3 years now?

I see in Guide Section 2 , Table 2-4 lists what school's cut-offs are in terms of oldest DAT date accepted, etc. For LECOM, it states 2-1-12 as the oldest date they accept for this upcoming application cycle and I'm wondering where the basis of this information comes from? This is stated on LECOM Dental School's website:

The source is listed at the bottom of the table- 2013 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

did you write all of this?

That would be a yes; ghost writers for DS admissions guides are in short supply.

The source is listed at the bottom of the table- 2013 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

That would be a yes; ghost writers for DS admissions guides are in short supply.

Whoops, guess I missed it. Thanks for responding so quickly! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Great work Doc! This is uber helpful. Thank you so much for your time and resources.

this guide is awesome, i will be coming back to consult it as i work on my application this cycle. thanks! :thumbup:

Amazing work on this. Just curious where can I get the "modified" SA formula. I've been using the one I found on their website. And does anyone know if other schools look at it.

Thanks

Amazing work on this. Just curious where can I get the "modified" SA formula. I've been using the one I found on their website. And does anyone know if other schools look at it.Thanks

The "modified" formula was used to arbitrarily rank ds in the Guide and in some of the posts. Colorado also uses/used a formula to rank their applicants.

Hi Doc,

Do the costs listed on pages 39 and 40 include living expenses?

Thank you Doc Toothache for putting this together!

Thanks so much for all this info. Trying to find it all by going through all the websites can get very stressful!

I'm finding myself in a position where I didn't take any prereqs at my undergrad, and so I took all the basic requirements at a community college without realizing that cc courses are looked down upon by many ds. I will be attending a post-bacc program at a 4-year university, and was wondering if taking upper-division courses in biology (like histology, microbiology) and chemistry (biochem) would "overwrite" the cc courses as prereqs to the admission committees (assuming I do well in those courses)? Also, would getting a high DAT score, like above 21, still make me a competitive applicant in my situation?

Since I still need to take all these upper-division courses and need more observing hours to boost my application, I don't think it is possible to make myself a good applicant for this cycle, and thus will be applying for the next cycle. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance!!

I'm finding myself in a position where I didn't take any prereqs at my undergrad, and so I took all the basic requirements at a community college without realizing that cc courses are looked down upon by many ds. I will be attending a post-bacc program at a 4-year university, and was wondering if taking upper-division courses in biology (like histology, microbiology) and chemistry (biochem) would "overwrite" the cc courses as prereqs to the admission committees (assuming I do well in those courses)? Also, would getting a high DAT score, like above 21, still make me a competitive applicant in my situation?

Since I still need to take all these upper-division courses and need more observing hours to boost my application, I don't think it is possible to make myself a good applicant for this cycle, and thus will be applying for the next cycle. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It does not appear that you are.

Thank you so much for these guides! They are of tremendous help. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Is there a tuition + fees cost list somewhere out there that excludes living expenses?

Someday I hope to meet doc toothache so that I can shake his/her hand.

According to this, only 40-50% of applicants who interviewed at UoP get accepted, but I thought that if you got an interview at UoP you are basically in...:/

According to this, only 40-50% of applicants who interviewed at UoP get accepted, but I thought that if you got an interview at UoP you are basically in...:/

The numbers given by UOP do not appear to support your theory.

The numbers given by UOP do not appear to support your theory.
According to the 2014 ADEA Guide, 194 IS students interviewed at UoP and 190 were accepted; 104 OOS students were interviewed and 102 students were accepted. How does that not support my theory?

According to the 2014 ADEA Guide, 194 IS students interviewed at UoP and 190 were accepted; 104 OOS students were interviewed and 102 students were accepted. How does that not support my theory?
Maybe we have different versions of the Guide. For ISS the Estimated Number Enrolled is 106 and for OOS it is 35.

Maybe we have different versions of the Guide. For ISS the Estimated Number Enrolled is 106 and for OOS it is 35.
Oh you are using the "number enrolled" and not the "number accepted." That would make sense. Perhaps it would be better to change the label %Aoi (percent of interviewed accepted) on the guide to "percent of interviewed enrolled"

Oh you are using the "number enrolled" and not the "number accepted." That would make sense. Perhaps it would be better to change the label %Aoi (percent of interviewed accepted) on the guide to "percent of interviewed enrolled"
Not all the information in the ADEA Guide is accurate. While the numbers listed (IS 194 interviewed/190 accepted; OOS 104/102) could reflect the actual numbers, since they appear to be out of line with the rest of the country, the less accurate number of interviewed/enrolled were used. Either UOP has an uncanny batting average on whom they select for interview or the interview is a mere formality, kind of like a la Creighton, where an interview is not mandatory.

Last edited:
When will the new mini guide be out?

The guide will be updated for 2015 pending publication of the 2015 ADEA Official Guide to DS
So will it be updated with this year's info once the book is published?
Thanks in advance!

When I google I get lot of hits for post bacc linkage programs but except one or two of them, none explicitly say that they have linkage with dental school. Is there any link on site with comprehensive list of post bacc linkage programs for dental schools ?

The 2015 Guide to Dental School Admission is now available. Please note that, as of 6-13-15, pages 1-35 reflect the information from the 2015-2016 ADEA Guide. The remaining information to be revised is in progress. For a complete daily class schedules for years 1 through 4 see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=985933

Comments/reviews on the Guide, subjects included/excluded are welcomed (via post, pm or e-mail- [email protected]).

PERSONAL STATEMENT CRITIQUE IS AVAILABLE. The ps can be sent via pm or to [email protected].
Does anyone know if doctoothdecay is still critquing personal statements?