2013 Match Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Already happened with my class. Does anyone else not get emails from their dean of students trying to get the class to finish certifying?

My dean of students...every other day...

all-the-things-meme-generator-finish-all-the-things-a263bd.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

I have my rank list basically set but I'm having trouble with the following two programs and would be interested in getting more input:

Tufts vs. Penn State?

I know the obvious differences in location and 3 vs 4 years. I'm more curious as to whether there would be significant differences in fellowship opportunities and that sort of thing...

you guys are crazy to be ranking some of these places over ccf. ccf is a powerhouse of most things not just cardiac. strong pain, strong regional, strong vasc, strong transplant. ccf is weak in trauma and peds. its not a malignant program anymore... becoming quite cush actually with the call hours restrictions.... residency there is a piece of cake compared to what it was a few years ago. the town of cleveland sucks... i think its 19 there today and its an economically depressed dirty place to be. the suburbs are nicer. the only places you should rank above ccf are for location or the ivies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm settled at this point on the first half of my list, I am trying to finalize the second half, this is the order I currently have:

Baystate
Georgia
Arkansas
NYMC
Case Metro

any input?

you guys are crazy to be ranking some of these places over ccf. ccf is a powerhouse of most things not just cardiac. strong pain, strong regional, strong vasc, strong transplant. ccf is weak in trauma and peds. its not a malignant program anymore... becoming quite cush actually with the call hours restrictions.... residency there is a piece of cake compared to what it was a few years ago. the town of cleveland sucks... i think its 19 there today and its an economically depressed dirty place to be. the suburbs are nicer. the only places you should rank above ccf are for location or the ivies.

Glad you like your choice of residency, but that's quite a bold statement that I'm having a hard time believing.

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about Oklahoma or Kentucky to help me break a tie?

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about Oklahoma or Kentucky to help me break a tie?
Oklahoma struck me as an average program on the rise with an awesome intern year. I thought Kentucky was pretty amazing all around, but I didn't care all that much for Lexington. I would (and did) rank UK above OU, but both seemed like good places to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting down to the wire here... Having trouble ranking a few, in no particular order:

NYU
UCLA
Northwestern
UChicago
UPenn
Yale

Help please?? :confused:

Getting down to the wire here... Having trouble ranking a few, in no particular order:

NYU
UCLA
Northwestern
UChicago
UPenn
Yale

Help please?? :confused:

You will be trained well at any of those programs. It comes down to fit and location. Good luck deciding!

PLEASE HELP!!!

I thought I had a number 1, but recently family has got me thinking

Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions, anything in comparing CCF vs UT Houston, that will help me make my choice. Really location isn't that imp, I really wanna go where id get better training. I have family near both areas, so that's not even an issue again. Please hell, as I clearly I'm a lost cause, and with 2 days 2 go, I could really use help with some guidance from you fellow SDN'ers!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions, anything in comparing CCF vs UT Houston, that will help me make my choice. Really location isn't that imp, I really wanna go where id get better training. I have family near both areas, so that's not even an issue again. Please hell, as I clearly I'm a lost cause, and with 2 days 2 go, I could really use help with some guidance from you fellow SDN'ers!

I would leave your top choice the way you had it, assuming you we're fairly settled before your family planted seeds of doubt. At this point you are making last minute changes based on nerves which you might ultimately regret.

I ranked both very highly, I think both are great programs.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Go to UT Houston. There. I decided it for you. :laugh:

Need help deciding between UAB, UNC, Wake, and MUSC....and more so down between MUSC and Wake. Big thanks sent to anyone who can offer wisdom/guidance on this decision.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Go to UT Houston. There. I decided it for you. :laugh:

Seconded - UT-Houston.

There are 39 CA3's, 44 CA2's respectively at CCF [at least according to the literature and schedule they gave me at my interview]. They're dropping it to 20 this year so those two huge classes shouldn't hurt your numbers appreciably as the CA3's will be gone and the CA2's will be CA3's when you're an intern.

I knew I wouldn't be happy there when the Chief at the pre-interview dinner asked me if I was a resident or an interviewee when trying to divide up the residents between tables equally. I'm looking for a more personal experience where the person that makes my schedule actually knows who I am - but that's a personal choice.

If you're looking for a "name," there's a reason Obama and Romney name-dropped CCF. Cleveland is nicer than advertised, and I can't dispute that the residents at the dinner were happy. Extremely happy at that.

You just have to pick what you're looking for.

I knew I wouldn't be happy there when the Chief at the pre-interview dinner asked me if I was a resident or an interviewee when trying to divide up the residents between tables equally.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Good one.

Need help deciding between UAB, UNC, Wake, and MUSC....and more so down between MUSC and Wake. Big thanks sent to anyone who can offer wisdom/guidance on this decision.

Like chicks? - MUSC
Bigger name - Wake

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Good one.

I'm not actually being funny or hateful, he actually did. And I think that the program has obviously recognized that 20 residents/year will be better for the resident experience, and by the time you're a CA1 all the huge classes will be gone. It just put a bad taste in my mouth before I was even interviewing. All the residents I met were happy there though.

I agree with this. No one is going to be able to convince you that Winston Salem is Charleston...they are completely different. I am a resident at Wake, my wife is from south carolina (we both went to college there) and I have been to Charleston a lot. Charleston is more fun, but it is also a lot more expensive. (Winston is the most affordable city you interviewed at, I can guarantee that).

That all being said... Wake and UAB are very comparable programs. I've shared thoughts on this in the past, you can PM if you want specifics. I think UAB has a better moonlighting policy, but Winston and Birmingham are pretty comparable IMO (Winston is cheaper, better college sports scene.. Birmingham has better restaraunts). I think that Wake's training is better than UAB's, particularly in terms of PEDS but the moonlighting policy at UAB is impressive. Wake's moonlighting policy is good, but no one would say it is as good as UAB's.

Wake and UAB are considerably better programs than MUSC and particularly UNC. Much bigger names than MUSC regionally and nationally. UNC has had back to back two year accreditations for essentially the same thing both times (hours issues and lack of ICU experience)...they were just recently visited again. Why risk that if you are interviewing at programs like Wake and UAB? Wake has had a 5 year accreditation for multiple decades. Only about 20-25 programs in the country can say that they have a 5 year accreditation, and even less can say they've had it as long as we have at Wake. UNC sells the program extremely well on interview day, I will give them that.

Last edited:
I have seen lots of allusions to UAB's moonlighting policy, but I don't ever recall seeing it spelled out. Can someone fill in of what their policy consists?

can someone chime in on UIC vs Rush vs Loyola?

UIC seems very relax and happy but I am not sure about their fellowship placement. Rush and Loyola are both workhorse program but Rush seem to be in a better location, better paid with better felloship placement. Anyone?

UIC is definitely happier, more chill, attendings are very approachable. Residents match in great fellowships across the country and in Chicago. Duke Cardiac, Cornell Peds. If you want to stay at UIC, they are always good about accepting their own too, eg. UIC Pain Med.

Rush has a brand new hospital and cool gadgets with new ORs, but it is a workhorse program... they are not shy about that.

I've heard nothing good about Loyola. Along the same vein, I haven't heard much that was terrible about the program. Just a "meh" program.

because he probably thinks being in orange county makes it a better program, the real California ranking is likely
Stanford
UCSF
Loma Linda
UC San Diego
UCLA
UCI
UC Davis
HarborUCLA

Stanford=UCSF > UCLA > the rest.

It's really a wash after UCLA, they are all in the same rung on the ladder.

UIC is definitely happier, more chill, attendings are very approachable. Residents match in great fellowships across the country and in Chicago. Duke Cardiac, Cornell Peds. If you want to stay at UIC, they are always good about accepting their own too, eg. UIC Pain Med.

Rush has a brand new hospital and cool gadgets with new ORs, but it is a workhorse program... they are not shy about that.

I've heard nothing good about Loyola. Along the same vein, I haven't heard much that was terrible about the program. Just a "meh" program.

Did you mean Columbia Peds? Cornell does not have a pediatric fellowship.

Seconded - UT-Houston.

There are 39 CA3's, 44 CA2's respectively at CCF [at least according to the literature and schedule they gave me at my interview]. They're dropping it to 20 this year so those two huge classes shouldn't hurt your numbers appreciably as the CA3's will be gone and the CA2's will be CA3's when you're an intern.

Just curious, does anyone know why CCF is cutting the number of residents from 44 to 20? Seems rather drastic

I thought Loyola was great. Strong in cardiac, ICU, peds, and regional. Residents were very happy. 600 bed hospital with a 600 bed VA next door.

I know I ranked Brown and Princeton anesthesia above CCF

Just curious, does anyone know why CCF is cutting the number of residents from 44 to 20? Seems rather drastic

They're dropping from 26 to 20. Current PGY-1 class is 26 (or so I was told when I was up there). Why the decrease at all? Probably because they've read the same stuff we all have. Criticisms regarding how impersonal their program was due to its size, etc.

I was convinced though that those issues are no longer as big of an issue since they started decreasing the size. They (the higher-ups) seemed well aware of the reputation they've had.

I agree with this assessment, and I'd add that I was really enamored with the atmosphere at UIC. It probably would've been my #1 if I didn't have so many connections in KC. Also, I met a fellow last year who trained at Loyola, and he steered me away from the place. "Meh" is the best thing I've heard about the program there.

I know I ranked Brown and Princeton anesthesia above CCF

Hey, I interviewed at these two programs as well. How would you rank Brown vs. Princeton? I really liked the PD at Brown. But the moonlighting st Princeton was unbeatable! I am so confused.:(

Here are my top choices arranged in geographical order. Location matters (need to be in a big city, like NYC or LA), but besides that, I plan on doing private practice and am undecided about fellowship. Academics matter very little in the grand scheme. Are there any red flags you guys would raise about these programs? If there's any you would immediately eliminate, please inform.

BIDMC
Brigham
Mass Gen
Cornell
NYU
Mt Sinai
Penn
Hopkins
Jackson Mem/Miami
Loma Linda
USC
UCLA
Cedars
UCSD

Is anyone prioritizing categorical spots or advanced spots over the other? I want to prioritize categorical, but I am nervous I'll miss out on some programs by doing that. I really don't want to move twice, though.

Here are my top choices arranged in geographical order. Location matters (need to be in a big city, like NYC or LA), but besides that, I plan on doing private practice and am undecided about fellowship. Academics matter very little in the grand scheme. Are there any red flags you guys would raise about these programs? If there's any you would immediately eliminate, please inform.

BIDMC
Brigham
Mass Gen
Cornell
NYU
Mt Sinai
Penn
Hopkins
Jackson Mem/Miami
Loma Linda
USC
UCLA
Cedars
UCSD

Rank Brigham, MGH, Hopkins, and maybe Penn at the top in whatever geographical order works best for you

Is anyone prioritizing categorical spots or advanced spots over the other? I want to prioritize categorical, but I am nervous I'll miss out on some programs by doing that. I really don't want to move twice, though.

For my top 6 I'm listing the cat then relisting all the adv spots if they have them in the same order. I'm not 100% sold on any over the others and I really would like to be at one place for the 4 yrs.

First, how would you go about matching the following?

MUSC
UK
UL
UT-Houston
UT-Knoxville
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
University of Cincinnati

Second, the program director at MUSC is accepting a position in a different city, meaning that there will likely be an interim program director for a while. I don't know for how long, or how it will affect the program. I'm disappointed, though, because I really liked the director there. :(

How should that bit of news affect my rank list? Am I worrying over nothing?

For my top 6 I'm listing the cat then relisting all the adv spots if they have them in the same order. I'm not 100% sold on any over the others and I really would like to be at one place for the 4 yrs.

I'm doing the same. Only the last program on my list is ranked cat/adv back to back.

First, how would you go about matching the following?

MUSC
UK
UL
UT-Houston
UT-Knoxville
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
University of Cincinnati

Second, the program director at MUSC is accepting a position in a different city, meaning that there will likely be an interim program director for a while. I don't know for how long, or how it will affect the program. I'm disappointed, though, because I really liked the director there. :(

How should that bit of news affect my rank list? Am I worrying over nothing?

I though CCF = Cincy = Kentucky. CCF may have the bigger name for future job placement and fellowships. I thought Cincy was the best overall (and the best peds by far). Thought Kentucky had the best didactics and residents. Personal preference on those 3.

I thought Loyola was great. Strong in cardiac, ICU, peds, and regional. Residents were very happy. 600 bed hospital with a 600 bed VA next door.

While I don't agree with Scudrunner's thoroughly documented love for UT-Houston, I agree here.

Loyola seemed like a fantastic place to train. By far, the coolest PD I came across on the trail and the residents and staff were super friendly.

It's ranked way above Rush on my list.

Please help decide between these--

U. Chicago
Northwestern
WashU
Cornell
Columbia

BIDMC
Brigham
Mass Gen
Cornell
NYU
Mt Sinai
Penn
Hopkins
Jackson Mem/Miami
Loma Linda
USC
UCLA
Cedars
UCSD

First decide what coast you want to be on.

As far as east coast -- I didn't find Miami as impressive as other programs on your list, but a case could be made if you really like warm weather. You really can't go wrong -- it's going to come down to very arbitrary personal preferences. Can't really rank them for you, but this is how I'd approach it. I'd consider Hopkins to be the strongest program on your list (with a grain of salt -- I was not graced with a Hopkins interview, but I've heard good things from friends there), but only if you'd be happy in Baltimore - if not, group by location preference decide if you'd like NYC vs. Boston. Then decide based on environment of the program (academic powerhouse vs. warm and fuzzy clinical experience). I've been asking around trying to get opinions on the NYC vs. Boston schools, but everyone puts them in a different order...it all comes down to what's important to you, and you are going to get good training at any of them.

BIDMC
Brigham
Mass Gen
Cornell
NYU
Mt Sinai
Penn
Hopkins
Jackson Mem/Miami
Loma Linda
USC
UCLA
Cedars
UCSD

From a private practice point of view, go to BWH. It is the best combination of training, name-branding, potential contacts, and city-life. Hopkins is also great but Baltimore sucks donkey balls. Training wise Hopkins and BWH are more similar than different.

Having a hard time with MCW vs. Wake. What can anyone relay about these programs?
Thanks