2013 Match Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I posted a list earlier, but I haven't seen much mentioned about Indiana other than they take a lot of their own. Any other thoughts on IU's program, especially compared to say CCF? Coming down to wire and I'm still torn on my top. . .

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to keep bumping this up, but it's getting down to the wire, and I'm really torn...specifically between UTMB and MUSC #1. The ranking below is how my match list really is currently:

UTMB
MUSC
University of Arizona

UH- Case
Ohio State

Minnesota
Iowa
Texas Tech
Baystate

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who replies!

Charleston is the absolute tits....maybe you didn't get a chance to appreciate this on your interview day but the College of Charleston (two of my buddies went to undergrad there) is historically 70/30 females. On a nice spring day, you will thank me.

Charleston is the absolute tits....maybe you didn't get a chance to appreciate this on your interview day but the College of Charleston (two of my buddies went to undergrad there) is historically 70/30 females. On a nice spring day, you will thank me.

And Galveston is the absolute ****s. Decision made.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm married :laugh: . Seriously though, thoughts about the programs beyond the locations? I know that Charleston's a beautiful place. If I ended up at UTMB, we would live off the island.

Last edited:
Any advice?

NYU
UConn
Nebraska
CCF
Case-UH
Vermont
Penn State
UArizona
Tufts

Don't care about location. I actually really liked all of these programs :confused:

Any advice?

NYU
UConn
Nebraska
CCF
Case-UH
Vermont
Penn State
UArizona
Tufts

Don't care about location. I actually really liked all of these programs :confused:

you "don't care about location" people seem insane to me (i apologize, this isn't a very productive post, so be it)

but really, manhattan vs hershey or nebraska? vermont climate vs arizona? no preference on those things but you're going to decide based on someone else liking their interview day at x slightly better than y or z?

i'm not tied to a specific location either, but a close decision like UF vs NYU on my list is going to have a lot more to do with manhattan vs gainesville than whether i liked the sim lab at UF better or someone online telling me you get a better lecture on the difficult airway algorithm at NYU

to be slightly helpful after saying all that:
NYU, CCF, Vermont, Penn St sound like winners on your list

you "don't care about location" people seem insane to me (i apologize, this isn't a very productive post, so be it)

but really, manhattan vs hershey or nebraska? vermont climate vs arizona? no preference on those things but you're going to decide based on someone else liking their interview day at x slightly better than y or z?

i'm not tied to a specific location either, but a close decision like UF vs NYU on my list is going to have a lot more to do with manhattan vs gainesville than whether i liked the sim lab at UF better or someone online telling me you get a better lecture on the difficult airway algorithm at NYU

to be slightly helpful after saying all that:
NYU, CCF, Vermont, Penn St sound like winners on your list

I left out several programs based on location so it may have been more accurate if I said: Of the programs on the list, location isn't an issue. My wife and I were military kids and moved around a lot, so climate and big vs. small city aren't so important to us. We really liked the location of all the programs I listed, even though they are very different.

I wasn't going to decide anything based on what someone said here; I just wanted to get a better idea of what the general opinion was on these programs. Thanks for your recommendations. I'm surprised to see Vermont on the list though. I thought the program was solid but didn't think other people would put it in the top 4. Any particular reason?

Wanted to have someone glance at the top half of my rank list. Goals in life are fellowship, and a future in academics as a physician educator. I'd love to do substantial research [maybe 60:40 clinical/nonclinical] in the future as well so infrastructure to do resident research is important. I'm confident in my #1, but would be ecstatic if I matched pretty much anywhere on this list. But if any current residents have commentary on the research infrastructure for residents at any of the below, please chime in. I am pretty sure that none of these programs close doors with regards to my goals.

WashU
UTSW
Emory
Yale
UPMC
UW
UAB
UT Houston
Baylor
S&W
CCF
Others

Thanks!

research definitely monster at WashU and CCF
Yale research is a monster pound for pound, but smaller department
and Emory seemed to be very big on getting residents involved in research during their intrvw day

I left out several programs based on location so it may have been more accurate if I said: Of the programs on the list, location isn't an issue. My wife and I were military kids and moved around a lot, so climate and big vs. small city aren't so important to us. We really liked the location of all the programs I listed, even though they are very different.

I wasn't going to decide anything based on what someone said here; I just wanted to get a better idea of what the general opinion was on these programs. Thanks for your recommendations. I'm surprised to see Vermont on the list though. I thought the program was solid but didn't think other people would put it in the top 4. Any particular reason?

only the fact that two fellow applicants from my school can't stop yabbering about how Maine and Vermont are these awesome little-talked-about programs in the NE - i didn't wander up that far myself - so certainly you know better than me if they're full of it and it's nothing special

Im not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I didnt know where else to ask.

Seeing as interview season is over, how far apart did you guys have your interviews? Where the bulk in one month or was it like a 2-3 then wait a few weeks then more interviews?

I'm asking because I discovered that if I might be able to apply for the 2014 match instead of the 2015 match. Only catch is I won't be in the US during the 2014 interview season as I'll still be in med school. I oked taking time off with my school, but I'm wondering how feasible it is to schedule all the interviews across one month or is it inevitable that I'd have to make a couple trips if I want to attend a decent amount of interviews (say 12-15)?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Im not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I didnt know where else to ask.

Seeing as interview season is over, how far apart did you guys have your interviews? Where the bulk in one month or was it like a 2-3 then wait a few weeks then more interviews?

I'm asking because I discovered that if I might be able to apply for the 2014 match instead of the 2015 match. Only catch is I won't be in the US during the 2014 interview season as I'll still be in med school. I oked taking time off with my school, but I'm wondering how feasible it is to schedule all the interviews across one month or is it inevitable that I'd have to make a couple trips if I want to attend a decent amount of interviews (say 12-15)?

Thanks guys!

12-15 in one month is close to impossible, if not straight up impossible. The most I did in one month (granted it was december, so one week less of interviewing) is 7 and that was pretty hectic.

The most I had was 12 over the span of 3 weeks in Dec. It was exhausting but doable since most of it was in the northeast.

Hmm, that's interesting. Intake it December is the busy month for interviews

I'm trying to find the best way to approach this. I can't just fly in to interview over the weekend without incurring serious cost, and I can't take too much time off from school or I won't graduate lol. Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks for the info guys, and good luck in March.

The students that I met from the West coast that interviewed in the SE/NE where I did took a month of time and went from one interview to another in the region and then flew back. One guy hadn't been home in like 5 weeks. You could do something like that?

You may have to fly back. It is what it is.

Hmm, that's interesting. Intake it December is the busy month for interviews

I'm trying to find the best way to approach this. I can't just fly in to interview over the weekend without incurring serious cost, and I can't take too much time off from school or I won't graduate lol. Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks for the info guys, and good luck in March.

Incurring serious costs is the name of the game--you have already ponied up 6 figures for medical school, dont go cheap at the end game. Many schools allow for this in their budgets and should help you get loans for it.

I can only presume some rotations are more understanding for absences--try to schedule these during interview season. Take any vacation or other free/low commitment time you have for 4th year during Nov/Dec/Jan.

Apply for a credit card in August, one with the first year of no interest. I charged all my airlines, hotels etc to that. One month I got 5% for hotels back. It's basically an interest free loan as long as you make the minimum payment (around 30$) and pay it off within the year. I've been paying the minimum payment and will have about 4 months of residency pay checks until I ever have an interest charge. Best decision of the residency process besides buying an airplane pillow

Yeah, my biggest issue is that my school isn't in the US. That makes it harder to take some time off, then return for school and fly out for some other interviews. Obviously doable, but I'm just trying to get a grasp of how to explain things to my dean and how to budget it.

I'd obviously love to just take a month off and finish it all, but I'd probably have to make a few separate 2-3 week trips (assuming I get interviews). Oh well, it's only a 14 hr trip :p

Yeah, my biggest issue is that my school isn't in the US. That makes it harder to take some time off, then return for school and fly out for some other interviews. Obviously doable, but I'm just trying to get a grasp of how to explain things to my dean and how to budget it.

I'd obviously love to just take a month off and finish it all, but I'd probably have to make a few separate 2-3 week trips (assuming I get interviews). Oh well, it's only a 14 hr trip :p

Are you able to do aways in the states? I met some USFMGs on my interview trail and they were interviewing while doing rotations somewhere in the states. Still had to travel, but not internationally at least.

Also, I love Suits :)

Getting down to the wire for match list but still having trouble deciding top 4. Interested in academics maybe critical care or peds.

Colorado
Michigan
OHSU
Rochester (NY)

Pretty sure OHSU will be #1 but having trouble with next three. Michigan is a big program and seems to have lots of good research. The intern year seems pretty intense and there is less time for electives. Colorado seems a little less known but overall good exposure. I have a friend who is a current resident who is a bit mixed as working longer hours than expected. I have family in Rochester (have kids) so that is a big draw and the program seems solid overall. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Are you able to do aways in the states? I met some USFMGs on my interview trail and they were interviewing while doing rotations somewhere in the states. Still had to travel, but not internationally at least.

Also, I love Suits :)
I'm actually doing those in June through August so that I can get LoR and clinical experience before applying. Plus I'd feel kind of bad committing to an elective and spending it interviewing. Things will work themselves out, but I'm just trying to set up my expectations.

And yup, Suits is quite awesome. I think Harvey steals the show even through Mike is the main guy.

Last edited:
I'm actually doing those in June through August so that I can get LoR and clinical experience before applying. Plus I'd feel kind of bad committing to an elective and spending it interviewing. Things will work themselves out, but I'm just trying to set up my expectations.

And yup, Suits is quite awesome. I think Harvey steals the show even through Mike is the main guy.

Are you allowed to do aways in other areas besides anesthesiology?

During interview season, attendings know you will be gone for some interviews. It's a balancing act for sure.

I'm kind of partial to Jessica, too. My kind of woman. Did you know she's married to Lawrence Fishburne IRL? I guess they met during the Matrix III or sthg.

Are you allowed to do aways in other areas besides anesthesiology?

During interview season, attendings know you will be gone for some interviews. It's a balancing act for sure.

I'm kind of partial to Jessica, too. My kind of woman. Did you know she's married to Lawrence Fishburne IRL? I guess they met during the Matrix III or sthg.
Yeah, I am allowed.

I could always do 2 months in June and July and schedule another one during interview season. Do you think 2 months of USCE vs 3 Months of USCE make a big impact on residency chances?

I actually didn't know that about Jessica, I started watching Firefly recently and was pleasantly surprised to see her in that.

Yeah, I am allowed.

I could always do 2 months in June and July and schedule another one during interview season. Do you think 2 months of USCE vs 3 Months of USCE make a big impact on residency chances?

I actually didn't know that about Jessica, I started watching Firefly recently and was pleasantly surprised to see her in that.

It might make a difference - Maybe another IMG could answer that better?

It might make a difference - Maybe another IMG could answer that better?
Yeah. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find another non-Carib IMG that applied before graduating. Most of them take a year off after graduation to complete all the Steps.

I'll probably just take the 3 months and then work something out with my school. Heck even if I have to fly back and forth a couple times, a plane ticket is the least of my cost worries at this point in the game.

Sorry to hijack your thread guys :D

I posted a list earlier, but I haven't seen much mentioned about Indiana other than they take a lot of their own. Any other thoughts on IU's program, especially compared to say CCF? Coming down to wire and I'm still torn on my top. . .

Thanks!

So nothing about IU then?

Hey kco, I too am torn bt a few programs, Colorado being one of them. I spent a day there talking with different residents and they definitely seem happy there. My impression regarding work hours is that they are around 55-65/week with most weeks being more in the 60-65 range. In fact one of the faculty members told me without prompting that they work "less" than at most programs but probably take more call because it is a smaller program. Seems a bit contradictory to me but not necessarily I guess. Also, I think their hours are picking up because it seems like the case volume is increasing, especially CT bc they just hired a couple of new CT surgeons. They generally have to put in 2 weekends out of the month but occasionally this will only be a single day. Call seems decent as it is 3pm-7am, so you get that prior day off and the following day off. This seems to occur about once per week. Is this consistent with what you've heard? One concern I have about the program is that the majority of their grads stay in Colorado for both pp and fellowship gigs. I am not from there but I also don't know where I want to be 4 years from now so I want the highly coveted "I can go anywhere" after residency option. In talking to the residents and faculty, it seemed like everyone that wanted to leave had no issues, but the majority either have ties there or end up loving the area/program so much that they choose to stay in the region. Of course, I'm a bit skeptical, but I think it has a pretty decent reputation in the academic realm. Not a powerhouse, but I think it is well regarded. I would comment on the other programs you mentioned but I don't know anything about them.

im torn!! please help me decide. I want to do a fellowship after residency, possibly in cardiac. here it goes:

tufts,
CCF
Maine
UF
Uconn
Drexel
Penn state
Cooper
Baystate

a few more days and this will all be behind us!!!

Hey kco, I too am torn bt a few programs, Colorado being one of them. I spent a day there talking with different residents and they definitely seem happy there. My impression regarding work hours is that they are around 55-65/week with most weeks being more in the 60-65 range. In fact one of the faculty members told me without prompting that they work "less" than at most programs but probably take more call because it is a smaller program. Seems a bit contradictory to me but not necessarily I guess. Also, I think their hours are picking up because it seems like the case volume is increasing, especially CT bc they just hired a couple of new CT surgeons. They generally have to put in 2 weekends out of the month but occasionally this will only be a single day. Call seems decent as it is 3pm-7am, so you get that prior day off and the following day off. This seems to occur about once per week. Is this consistent with what you've heard? One concern I have about the program is that the majority of their grads stay in Colorado for both pp and fellowship gigs. I am not from there but I also don't know where I want to be 4 years from now so I want the highly coveted "I can go anywhere" after residency option. In talking to the residents and faculty, it seemed like everyone that wanted to leave had no issues, but the majority either have ties there or end up loving the area/program so much that they choose to stay in the region. Of course, I'm a bit skeptical, but I think it has a pretty decent reputation in the academic realm. Not a powerhouse, but I think it is well regarded. I would comment on the other programs you mentioned but I don't know anything about them.

I felt the same way when I interviewed there. It seemed very few people left Colorado (or the general vicinity).

im torn!! please help me decide. I want to do a fellowship after residency, possibly in cardiac. here it goes:

tufts,
CCF
Maine
UF
Uconn
Drexel
Penn state
Cooper
Baystate

a few more days and this will all be behind us!!!
I hear CCF is good at all things cards. Tufts/UF/Penn State are the same tier. Choose based on cold city vs. beach and humid summer vs. village with whiffs of chocolate, peanut butter, and manure. Rest are all in the same league. Why don't you make the rank list for us, tell us what else is important for you, and we poke at it?

I hear CCF is good at all things cards. Tufts/UF/Penn State are the same tier. Choose based on cold city vs. beach and humid summer vs. village with whiffs of chocolate, peanut butter, and manure. Rest are all in the same league. Why don't you make the rank list for us, tell us what else is important for you, and we poke at it?

my list looks like this:

St. lukes - Roosevelt
tufts
maine
uconn
ccf
cooper
drexel
baystate
UF
maimo
temple
nymc
UMDNJ -robert wood

the only thing im certain about it St. lukes. location is important but not at the expense of my future career, so im willing to move for a good residency program.

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my list looks like this:

St. lukes - Roosevelt
tufts
maine
uconn
ccf
cooper
drexel
baystate
UF
maimo
temple
nymc
UMDNJ -robert wood

the only thing im certain about it St. lukes. location is important but not at the expense of my future career, so im willing to move for a good residency program.

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why'd you rank SLR as #1? Disclaimer: Among these, I only interviewed at Tufts, and will only comment on other based on what I have heard about them.
The tail end is perfectly fine. From an academic standpoint (maybe also fellowships), CCF would be a stronger program than SLR. Tufts probably more than CCF. I'd put SLR below CCF. If I had to redo the top 5 I'd do it as:

Tufts
CCF
UF
Maine
SLR/Baystate
UConn
rest

But, you gotta consider that I am only basing this on how famous the program is.

If location isn't a concern with programs all across the country I'd think Michigan an UPMC are actually the clear top 2, not OHSU and UAB

With only a few days left, I am just throwing this out there to see what you guys think. Any help deciding between the top 2 would be great. I am really torn on the locations and I wonder if the cost of living in Portland (and limited moonlighting) can compete with the great hours and low cost of living UAB offers. The training seems hard to distinguish between the two.

1/2: OHSU
1/2: UAB
3: U. Michigan
4: UPMC
5: Northwestern
6: Penn State
7: UK
8: UF

Thanks!

Any feedback on Beth Israel Deaconess vs. Penn? I realize this has been done in other threads - want some thoughts from this year's season...

In my opinion OHSU is a super strong program and UAB if it were not in birmingham would be one of the most sought after programs b/c of how strong the clinical training along with its reputation. UofM is incredible and UPMC is good program.

With only a few days left, I am just throwing this out there to see what you guys think. Any help deciding between the top 2 would be great. I am really torn on the locations and I wonder if the cost of living in Portland (and limited moonlighting) can compete with the great hours and low cost of living UAB offers. The training seems hard to distinguish between the two.

1/2: OHSU
1/2: UAB
3: U. Michigan
4: UPMC
5: Northwestern
6: Penn State
7: UK
8: UF

Thanks!

great list, i'm going to stay away from giving any advice since your list has most of the same top programs as mine and i'd have a hard time giving you advice that wasn't a little two-faced

but killer training at any of those, go with whichever program gave you the best vibe

I appreciate the honesty, and good luck to you man (or lady). Maybe we will see each other at the same program come July if we have similar lists.

that's going to be a fun part of this process - looking forward to seeing how many fellow residents i know from the trail, etc - good luck to you too (and i'm a man, not lady, haha)

Rank list done. Fin. No mas.

Tomorrow is d-day for the school anyway. At this point it will be knee-jerk reactions that change anything and that's not cool for me.

So, vayan con dios, amigos! Next stop is match day :)

Rank list done. Fin. No mas.

Tomorrow is d-day for the school anyway. At this point it will be knee-jerk reactions that change anything and that's not cool for me.

So, vayan con dios, amigos! Next stop is match day :)

Just out of curiosity, what happens to students at your school who don't have a list certified by tomorrow or want to changed their mind on the 19th or 20th?

Just out of curiosity, what happens to students at your school who don't have a list certified by tomorrow or want to changed their mind on the 19th or 20th?

The administration probably contacts the students and tells them to certify a list. They can see from their end of ERAS who does and who does not have a certified ROL.

Already happened with my class. Does anyone else not get emails from their dean of students trying to get the class to finish certifying?

The administration probably contacts the students and tells them to certify a list. They can see from their end of ERAS who does and who does not have a certified ROL.

Oh, yeah that happens at my school too. He made it sound like it's some sort of hard deadline... I was curious how they could possibly enforce that.