2013 Postdoc Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody hear from Cambridge Health Alliance? If so, which tracks?

Members don't see this ad.

UCC silence finally broken on my end - invitation to interview at Reed College's CC in Portland.

I've been interviewing like crazy. Its pretty exhausting but a good problem to have (I would complain if I didn't have enough interviews). The interviews vary dramatically. Some are more structured than internship interviews and others are more relaxed/natural. Unfortunately, some places also assume you don't know much.

Good luck everyone! I'm practicing my jujitsu moves!

I'm finding that the interviews are much more informal than on internship. It feels, for me, to be much less a test of conceptualization, tx strategies, etc and more about what I bring to the table and how the site will help me walk-out ready for independent practice. It is exhausting, though and they all seem like good spots to land. My difficulty is in post-interview ranking so if offers comes in I know how to move. Plus, I'm waiting on 3 more sites who haven't made a peep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and sorry for some of the lag-time in posting interviews on the front page. I've been on the road off and on and will try to do my best. Good luck to all!

Congratulations from a fellow UCCer! Portland is amazing!

Thanks, buddhachick! I remember seeing you on the UCC posts from internship last year! Hope you are enjoying internship, and best of luck in the next phase. I'm very excited about Portland - love the Pacific Northwest! :thumbup:

Thanks, buddhachick! I remember seeing you on the UCC posts from internship last year! Hope you are enjoying internship, and best of luck in the next phase. I'm very excited about Portland - love the Pacific Northwest! :thumbup:

My reputation proceeds me! :)

Thanks for the well-wishes!. Have you found that most counseling centers are taking their sweet time? There are many I have yet to hear from - both for post-docs and staff. I wonder when they typically start rolling in. I have about 20 apps out and have only heard back from 2 post-docs. I have heard that some staff position places will never get back to you or sometimes it will be in like April or May to ask if you're still interested.

Another UCCer here. Have heard from almost all of the postdoc positions I've applied to out here on the east coast. Only one more left to hear from. Sent out one application for a job in December and haven't heard a peep.

I'm worried about how to prioritize offers (assuming I get more than one). Certain sites only allow candidates to hold offers for one day! I understand the reasoning behind this, but it makes the process very anxiety provoking. Guess that's the nature of the beast.

Good luck everybody!

My reputation proceeds me! :)

Thanks for the well-wishes!. Have you found that most counseling centers are taking their sweet time? There are many I have yet to hear from - both for post-docs and staff. I wonder when they typically start rolling in. I have about 20 apps out and have only heard back from 2 post-docs. I have heard that some staff position places will never get back to you or sometimes it will be in like April or May to ask if you're still interested.

Another UCCer here. Have heard from almost all of the postdoc positions I've applied to out here on the east coast. Only one more left to hear from. Sent out one application for a job in December and haven't heard a peep.

I'm worried about how to prioritize offers (assuming I get more than one). Certain sites only allow candidates to hold offers for one day! I understand the reasoning behind this, but it makes the process very anxiety provoking. Guess that's the nature of the beast.

Good luck everybody!

Yep, things feel like they are happening very slowly on the UCC end! The invite I received yesterday was my first notification either way, and I've had some apps out since early December... I have 9 apps out right now (combination of postdoc and staff positions), and I'm struggling with whether to send a bunch more (in case the silence is rejection!) or to hold out (and hope that there are some invites coming my way).

And jimmyachance, congrats on the news! The worry about prioritizing offers also has me hesitating to send out more apps. I just hope I'm fortunate enough to be in the position to choose!!!

Yep, things feel like they are happening very slowly on the UCC end! The invite I received yesterday was my first notification either way, and I've had some apps out since early December... I have 9 apps out right now (combination of postdoc and staff positions), and I'm struggling with whether to send a bunch more (in case the silence is rejection!) or to hold out (and hope that there are some invites coming my way).

And jimmyachance, congrats on the news! The worry about prioritizing offers also has me hesitating to send out more apps. I just hope I'm fortunate enough to be in the position to choose!!!

Hi guys, I am also UCC though more west coast sites. Would you all mind adding to the list of which sites you have heard from if you haven't done so already? Also, most of my sites are adhering to the March 13 notification day and will only let you hold the offer for 30 minutes! I haven't even started to think about ranking yet, but I am already assuming its going to be a very hectic day. Funny, I remember all your names from last year during the internship process too! Good luck to all!

Hi guys, I am also UCC though more west coast sites. Would you all mind adding to the list of which sites you have heard from if you haven't done so already? Also, most of my sites are adhering to the March 13 notification day and will only let you hold the offer for 30 minutes! I haven't even started to think about ranking yet, but I am already assuming its going to be a very hectic day. Funny, I remember all your names from last year during the internship process too! Good luck to all!

Ugh, March 13 seems so far off!

I also just received an invite for a phone "screening" interview with Loyola University Maryland's CC - should last 30-40 minutes, and the request was for available days/times within the next week.

I remember your name too!

I've only heard from University of Georgia CC (interview) and University of Berkeley (rejection). Waiting on University of Michigan, UNC Charlotte, Arizona State U, Tufts and George Washington as far as post-docs. My application just went into Tufts though and I see that they have offered some interviews so I may have missed my window there. Who have you heard from?

I haven't seen any that are adhering to the March 13 notification day yet. Maybe they are and I just didn't notice...

I can't believe we're back here again!!

What does everyone thing about the idea of checking in with sites that had deadlines 3 weeks - a month ago? To say you're interested and interviewing and wondering the time line for their site.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does everyone thing about the idea of checking in with sites that had deadlines 3 weeks - a month ago? To say you're interested and interviewing and wondering the time line for their site.

I'm wondering this myself. Feeling antsy and not sure if I should look for more places to apply to.

Just received an Ohio State CC phone interview offer for the Clinical Therapist staff position. :)

Just received an Ohio State CC phone interview offer for the Clinical Therapist staff position. :)

Congrats! :D Very exciting! When did you submit that application? I know it's totally variable from site to site, but I have a staff position application from 2 months ago that I have yet to hear about... I never thought I'd say it, but I think there was some comfort in the internship process, because at least the timeline was set in stone from the start.

Hello everyone,

Has anyone heard back from UCLA-Ties for Adoption Program or USC- Children's Hospital Los Angeles? The wait is killing me :eek:

Phone interview for University of Michigan CC post-doc tonight. Two in one day! I hope it keeps going like this! :)

Congrats! :D Very exciting! When did you submit that application? I know it's totally variable from site to site, but I have a staff position application from 2 months ago that I have yet to hear about... I never thought I'd say it, but I think there was some comfort in the internship process, because at least the timeline was set in stone from the start.

Thank you! I submitted it 12/21 and the due date was 1/6. Yes, how weird to say that about internship! But you're right. The ambiguity of this is crazy. I did just get 3 in one week so I think that it's starting to be the CC "season." But who knows? It could completely stop and then start up again in a few weeks.

Yep, UCCs are finally coming through. Had 4 interviews this week and 4 next week. I'm pooped. Interviews are pretty informal though. I'm just tired of wearing ties because it feels like I'm choking :scared:

I hear that many UCCs are receiving competitive pools of applicants, including my current site.

This round of interviews, like the last round for internship just feels random. I'll get a rejection from a highly competitive, name brand site (no surprise) followed by an invite to an equally respected site (very cool) followed by a rejection from a back-up site (why?). It seems like interviews for clinical fellowships have been more structured than research fellowships. Tomorrow could be a big day... or not. That's ok because I have 2 more interviews scheduled next week and 1 the following week... there's nothing like intermittent reinforcement to keep my hope alive!

Thank you! I submitted it 12/21 and the due date was 1/6. Yes, how weird to say that about internship! But you're right. The ambiguity of this is crazy. I did just get 3 in one week so I think that it's starting to be the CC "season." But who knows? It could completely stop and then start up again in a few weeks.

Wow, congrats again! I'm waiting to hear from U. of Michigan, so feeling a little less hopeful since you heard from them tonight. Ahhhh, tomorrow's another day, hoping for more news for all of us! So glad we're all at least starting to hear something.

Wow, congrats again! I'm waiting to hear from U. of Michigan, so feeling a little less hopeful since you heard from them tonight. Ahhhh, tomorrow's another day, hoping for more news for all of us! So glad we're all at least starting to hear something.

I hope good news comes your way! If they don't want you, you don't want them. It'll all work out for us all.

Yep, UCCs are finally coming through. Had 4 interviews this week and 4 next week. I'm pooped. Interviews are pretty informal though. I'm just tired of wearing ties because it feels like I'm choking :scared:

I hear that many UCCs are receiving competitive pools of applicants, including my current site.

Would you mind sharing who your interviews are with? That's so exciting!

Accepted an early offer from my top site today and couldn't be happier. So nice to cancel the rest of my interviews and just be done!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for excellent outcomes for everyone!

Accepted an early offer from my top site today and couldn't be happier. So nice to cancel the rest of my interviews and just be done!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for excellent outcomes for everyone!

Congratulations! That is awesome news! :D

Anyone who went to INS receive offers from non-match sites as of yet?

Sounds like my dream outcome. My sites are adhering to specific dates and are not providing offers until those dates so I have to wait around for a couple more weeks and keep interviewing and repeating myself. I wish I was geographically flexible since I would have a much greater chance of ending up in a really good site and not just settling.

Anyone who went to INS receive offers from non-match sites as of yet?

Yup. Im still in Hawaii now, actually. Got to explore the entire Island these last few days. I accepted a non-match offer from my top choice on wednesday, right after my last ins interview. Six of my interviews were match, six not. While I couldn't be happier with my new site, good lord this process sucked!

I don't want to leave Hawaii :( it is nice and warm.

Bex223-- Thanks! It's a little surreal. :)

PHD12-- Yeah, honestly I just lucked out. This was a site that very clearly stated they were okay with telling people where they stood in terms of the site's consideration at any point to help us with taking/not taking other offers, even though they wouldn't be making decisions until this week. I very gently asked the TD where I stood... and voila! They made me an offer on Friday. I know it was largely luck and I'm super thankful.

Serotonin-- I wouldn't want to leave Hawaii either! Congratulations on accepting your top choice. It feels so good to be done with the melee!

Staff psychologist phone interview University of Vermont CAPS

Yup. Im still in Hawaii now, actually. Got to explore the entire Island these last few days. I accepted a non-match offer from my top choice on wednesday, right after my last ins interview. Six of my interviews were match, six not. While I couldn't be happier with my new site, good lord this process sucked!

I don't want to leave Hawaii :( it is nice and warm.
serotonin-i could not agree more regarding this process. CONGRATULATIONS!

I interviewed with a similar split. I have not heard from ANY of the nonmatch sites so I am confused as to whether they are all regjections or I am still in the running.

Anyone know if sites will definitely inform you if you are no longer under consideration?

I'm not sure, either. One of my deadlines was nearly 4 weeks ago. I'm wonder if an inquiry email would hurt anything. :/

I'm not sure, either. One of my deadlines was nearly 4 weeks ago. I'm wonder if an inquiry email would hurt anything. :/

So, I inquired to two sites and one sent me an email saying they were already doing phone interviews and I had not been selected. The other for not write back and then called to offer me an interview a few days later. If the deadline was a month ago I don't think it's unreasonable to check in and say "hey! I'm really interested on your site and am wondering if I'm still being considered as I begin to interview." Or something of the like.

Emailed them tis morning and got no response so far. :(

What is te etiquette for phone interviews? Thank you email or mailed thank you card?

Just out of curiosity, how little advance interview notice can a site give before it becomes unreasonable? I'm not in this boat myself, but I've been surprised to see that several of my colleagues have been asked to drop everything to attend an out of state interview a week (or less!) later. In person, too - these are not phone interviews, and there's been little or no flexibility on the interview dates.

I get that sites want to move quickly, but booking a last minute flight is costly, rearranging your internship schedule at the drop of a hat is a pain, and it seems very unfair to put this burden on applicants. And yes, I know that applicants have the option to push for a later date, or for a phone interview, but given that we have very little power in this situation, I can see how someone would be reluctant to risk putting themselves at a disadvantage.

Is this an unusual application year, or this just how things work now?

Just out of curiosity, how little advance interview notice can a site give before it becomes unreasonable? I'm not in this boat myself, but I've been surprised to see that several of my colleagues have been asked to drop everything to attend an out of state interview a week (or less!) later. In person, too - these are not phone interviews, and there's been little or no flexibility on the interview dates.

I get that sites want to move quickly, but booking a last minute flight is costly, rearranging your internship schedule at the drop of a hat is a pain, and it seems very unfair to put this burden on applicants. And yes, I know that applicants have the option to push for a later date, or for a phone interview, but given that we have very little power in this situation, I can see how someone would be reluctant to risk putting themselves at a disadvantage.

I second this. I mostly did not have flexibility on interview dates. When I asked to move a date due to my schedule, most sites were unable to accommodate me, especially if the interviews were several hours long. At least in my state, every site easily gets over a hundred applications so they have a plethora of good candidates to chose from and can just move on to the next person if you are inflexible. I had several back to back interviews as a result, which made for a more stressful process.

Email. Cards can take forever to work their way to the POIs department mailbox.

eta: sorry thought this was the grad app thread!

Last edited:

Just my personal opinion: for in-state, I'd say a week would strike me as sufficient. For out-of-state, at least two to three weeks' notice. For anything less (particularly with out-of-state), I'd hope the site would also offer phone interviews as a viable alternative.

I received notice on a Thursday for an out-of-state interview to be held the NEXT DAY or the Monday right after. So one day's notice! I couldn't make it in person as I was in a different state already interviewing and then flying to another state, but happily phone interviewed with a good outcome :)

Has anyone heard from the University of Michigan Department of Psychiatry (Clinical Child Psychology)?

Are things especially bad this year because there's no uniform notification date, or is the postdoc process always this insane?

Based on the experiences I've heard, it seems like some programs have behaved very poorly: last minute/inflexible interview invites, swooping in with early offers in order to pressure people into accepting, not notifying applicants that they didn't get a position, refusing to respond to emails/phone calls from applicants even after an interview, etc. I'm honestly embarrassed by the behavior of a couple of tracks at my own internship program - I didn't apply to them myself, but I was mortified to hear others' stories.

Well, it's been four weeks since the app deadline to my top site and still no word. Even after sending a follow up earlier this week. Oh welll I guess.