2013 Postdoc Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are things especially bad this year because there's no uniform notification date, or is the postdoc process always this insane?

Based on the experiences I've heard, it seems like some programs have behaved very poorly: last minute/inflexible interview invites, swooping in with early offers in order to pressure people into accepting, not notifying applicants that they didn't get a position, refusing to respond to emails/phone calls from applicants even after an interview, etc. I'm honestly embarrassed by the behavior of a couple of tracks at my own internship program - I didn't apply to them myself, but I was mortified to hear others' stories.

The tracks at my current site seem to have handled things admirably this year, but from what I hear, things are indeed pretty rough compared to last year (admittedly I don't have first-hand knowledge of last year for comparison, as I went neuro).

I suppose I can understand some of the resistance against a UND, particularly if there's really no binding clause...but still, for the sake of applicants and just overall fairness, it's hard for me to mentally justify the lack of a uniform date.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone else doing the neuro match have any sites that, following an interview, do not to your knowledge have your applicant code for the match? I have one such site, and I guess I'm just curious how others may have handled that.

At the end of last week I received an interview offer from Cambridge Eating Disorder Center (adult, non-neuro), so that means I've heard back from all the non-UCC positions I applied to. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few UCCs that haven't been posted to the list yet. Not sure whether they're still in the process of making decisions, or whether they've gone ahead and offered the positions to current interns, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the end of last week I received an interview offer from Cambridge Eating Disorder Center (adult, non-neuro), so that means I've heard back from all the non-UCC positions I applied to. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few UCCs that haven't been posted to the list yet. Not sure whether they're still in the process of making decisions, or whether they've gone ahead and offered the positions to current interns, etc.

Which UCC's are you waiting for?

just curious, have sites been responding to your thank you emails?

Does anyone else doing the neuro match have any sites that, following an interview, do not to your knowledge have your applicant code for the match? I have one such site, and I guess I'm just curious how others may have handled that.
Regarding applicant codes, a site emailed requesting my code, however adding that my code could be accessed through the system and not to worry if I am unable to reply in a timely manner. Not sure if that helps.

For those participating in neuro match, anyone have non-match sites that have not yet made a decision? I had a site reach out that decisions are not yet made, however still no word. Thoughts on if I should contact them and if so, how should I approach it?

Regarding applicant codes, a site emailed requesting my code, however adding that my code could be accessed through the system and not to worry if I am unable to reply in a timely manner. Not sure if that helps.

For those participating in neuro match, anyone have non-match sites that have not yet made a decision? I had a site reach out that decisions are not yet made, however still no word. Thoughts on if I should contact them and if so, how should I approach it?

If it's a place you'd accept over any of the match ones, there's no harm in calling and asking what your status is. I find that at the post-doctoral level, you really have a bit more leeway to advocate yourself, show interest, etc. Sites take you much more seriously at this point.

Just be mindful of how you portray yourself. If you'd accept an offer from the site right away, then it's fine to say that. However, if you are not certain, just explain that you remain interested and are inquiring about the status of your application, without suggesting that you'd commit right away.

Personally, I knew where I wanted to end up. I told them during the interview they were my #1, and emailed them a few weeks later asking if they made a decision. They offered it to me right away.

If it's a place you'd accept over any of the match ones, there's no harm in calling and asking what your status is. I find that at the post-doctoral level, you really have a bit more leeway to advocate yourself, show interest, etc. Sites take you much more seriously at this point.

Just be mindful of how you portray yourself. If you'd accept an offer from the site right away, then it's fine to say that. However, if you are not certain, just explain that you remain interested and are inquiring about the status of your application, without suggesting that you'd commit right away.

Personally, I knew where I wanted to end up. I told them during the interview they were my #1, and emailed them a few weeks later asking if they made a decision. They offered it to me right away.

I would agree--given that rank order lists are due in tomorrow night (or is it actually midnight tonight?), I'd imagine they need to be planning to either get their offer out today, or at least gauge who will and won't be participating in the match.

BOOM! I accepted an offer for a (adult non-neuro) postdoc yesterday. Sending good vibes to everyone waiting to hear.

ps-Does anyone know if we can defer govt loans in the postdoc year?

BOOM! I accepted an offer for a (adult non-neuro) postdoc yesterday. Sending good vibes to everyone waiting to hear.

Congrats!!!!:D

And I believe you can as I have heard of people doing that, but I am not sure of the process.

Congrats :)

As for the loans, in general, no--unless you're enrolled at least half-time as a student somewhere, you can't (to my knowledge) defer loans beyond any grace period you might receive (typically 6 months for gubmint loans). You likely can work out a period of forebearance, although that may only buy you a few extra months.

Members don't see this ad :)

Awesome, congrats! Thanks for the good vibes, too - still waiting to hear even a peep from 7 sites! And, deferring might be hard. I had some mix-ups with registration from my program last semester, and couldn't even defer my loans on internship (I think they've gotten more strict about them), so I had to go into forbearance for a few months. The forbearance process wasn't difficult, but it stinks to accrue interest while still in a training position.....

Yes, you can absolutely defer your loan payments during postdoc and during internship if you are below half time. PM me if you would like a link to the form to send in. The one thing is that you cannot request deferment until the 6 month grace period is up. So, for me, because I was only enrolled for 1 credit for internship, and I technically was no longer a full time student as of May 2012, I applied for deferment in November of 2012 and received deferment until August 2013. Now, if I receive a post-doc, I will re-apply for deferment come August 2013. There are some stipulations, however, for what qualifies as allowing for deferment.

Congratulations!!

For those that accepted offers, are you informing other sites right away even if you have not gotten an official letter from the site you accepted?

Congratulations! I am really happy with my offer as well!

Last edited:
You can get a forbearance for the whole length of your postdoc. Deferment requires more specific documentation....and I believe the loans have to be pretty old.

Yes, you can absolutely defer your loan payments during postdoc and during internship if you are below half time. PM me if you would like a link to the form to send in. The one thing is that you cannot request deferment until the 6 month grace period is up. So, for me, because I was only enrolled for 1 credit for internship, and I technically was no longer a full time student as of May 2012, I applied for deferment in November of 2012 and received deferment until August 2013. Now, if I receive a post-doc, I will re-apply for deferment come August 2013. There are some stipulations, however, for what qualifies as allowing for deferment.

Ahh yes, looks like you're right, at least theoretically: according to this chart, you're eligible when participating in "an approved graduate fellowship program or in an approved rehabilitation training program for the disabled." So I'd imagine you just need to apply and have the feds give the ok for your fellowship.

No clue how this might work for informal postdocs, though.

You can get a forbearance for the whole length of your postdoc. Deferment requires more specific documentation....and I believe the loans have to be pretty old.

Yep, I think this was the issue with mine - I tried to apply for the "education related deferment" and was denied because my loans were dispersed after 1993. I was also denied the internship/residency forbearance, with the reason being that I supposedly did not qualify for a non-medical internship forbearance (and I'm at an APA-accredited internship). So, who knows?! If someone finds about a way to actually defer on postdoc, I'd love to know!

Because our clinical psych internships are an approved graduate fellowship program, you would check that box (as long as you see that it fits the criteria stipulated). Do not mark it as an internship/residency on the form because the loan people don't understand that our internships are different from medical doctors' internship (i.e., we do not have our degrees before doing an internship so it does qualify as a graduate fellowship program). I was really confused too but I was told to check off approved graduate fellowship program box when applying and sent in the materials supporting it as such and was approved.

Because our clinical psych internships are an approved graduate fellowship program, you would check that box (as long as you see that it fits the criteria stipulated). Do not mark it as an internship/residency on the form because the loan people don't understand that our internships are different from medical doctors' internship (i.e., we do not have our degrees before doing an internship so it does qualify as a graduate fellowship program). I was really confused too but I was told to check off approved graduate fellowship program box when applying and sent in the materials supporting it as such and was approved.

Ahhh, makes sense. Thanks!

That makes sense for internship (if the individual doesn't have the credit hours to count as half-time), but were you able to ask if this same process applies to post-doc fellowship?

Yep, I think this was the issue with mine - I tried to apply for the "education related deferment" and was denied because my loans were dispersed after 1993. I was also denied the internship/residency forbearance, with the reason being that I supposedly did not qualify for a non-medical internship forbearance (and I'm at an APA-accredited internship). So, who knows?! If someone finds about a way to actually defer on postdoc, I'd love to know!

Yeah I am not sure that people always read the fine print with this part. But one should be able to still get a forbearance if needed (I was able to very easily).

Ya'll are a wealth of knowledge re: loans - thank you!

As far as letting other sites know that I accepted an offer elsewhere, I just completed that but only once I had an official letter in my hand.

For people who really want to check this out for your postdoc, read the fine print on the Education-related deferment forms.

https://www.myedaccount.com/Forms.aspx

If you use the internship/residency form, you'll notice that you need to have borrowed prior to 1993. Most people, I would imagine, will need to go with the forbearance option.

Hi everyone, I've been following this thread religiously since interview season kicked off. Thankfully, my postdoc search is over--I accepted an offer today. Phew!! GOOD LUCK to everyone still waiting to interview or hear back from programs! It's almost over!

I feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster! And it's so hard to keep up with the crazy level of internship demands and job hunt. Tomorrow I am giving a 2 hour seminar to the entire staff and doing 2 phone interviews (on top of the regular clinical work of course). Does anyone else feel like they're drowning??

I feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster! And it's so hard to keep up with the crazy level of internship demands and job hunt. Tomorrow I am giving a 2 hour seminar to the entire staff and doing 2 phone interviews (on top of the regular clinical work of course). Does anyone else feel like they're drowning??

Absolutely. I've been excited one day, then feeling discouraged/almost crying the next day. Add dissertation drama to the mix and you're in for a real ride. I honestly feel like we have more stressors than most of our patients. Barely making enough to live on this year, having to take out extra $ you don't have for interviews, not knowing if you will have a paycheck come September, managing loans, possibly moving again.....etc. etc. You know you are losing it when you are envious of your patients for having a steady paycheck (even if its a disability payment; some of the veterans get $3100 per month). I recently landed a position, which was a good thing because I was starting to go crazy.

I definitely hear ya! I am sick and have to prep for a job talk and I don't want to take more days off from internship. This is definitely stressful. I hope it'll be over soon.

I definitely hear ya! I am sick and have to prep for a job talk and I don't want to take more days off from internship. This is definitely stressful. I hope it'll be over soon.
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way! PhD12 - congratulations! citygurl - best of luck and you're not in it alone! it'll all be worth it and one day we'll look back and laugh at these days :)

Hi everyone, I've been following this thread religiously since interview season kicked off. Thankfully, my postdoc search is over--I accepted an offer today. Phew!! GOOD LUCK to everyone still waiting to interview or hear back from programs! It's almost over!
Like HomeworkHelper I have been reading this thread religiously since I submitted my applications. It's been a great support and source of encouragement. I accepted an offer today, too, and am so glad to be done. I wish everyone well getting through this last stage of interviewing and waiting. Fingers crossed!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way! PhD12 - congratulations! citygurl - best of luck and you're not in it alone! it'll all be worth it and one day we'll look back and laugh at these days :)

You are right! We will get through this!

Anyone else stiiiiilllllll waiting to hear from UCCs? Of 9 applications (6 postdocs/3 jobs), I've only heard back from 3 (2 postdoc interviews/1 job rejection).

Anyone else stiiiiilllllll waiting to hear from UCCs? Of 9 applications (6 postdocs/3 jobs), I've only heard back from 3 (2 postdoc interviews/1 job rejection).

Yeah, still waiting on 1 UCC postdoc and 3 jobs. Well, 2 postdocs technically. I never did receive a rejection from BC, though other people posted interview invites over a month ago. I received an invite yesterday (PM me if anyone wants the details). So, it looks like things just operate behind the VA and other hospital systems.

Yup, me too! I know some places I'm waiting on have sent invites, but there are some I have not heard about period. It sometimes is frustrating that UCC is always later than other places. This process has come at the worst possible time for me on Internship and I feel more overwhelmed everyday and just want this process over. :scared:

Yup, me too! I know some places I'm waiting on have sent invites, but there are some I have not heard about period. It sometimes is frustrating that UCC is always later than other places. This process has come at the worst possible time for me on Internship and I feel more overwhelmed everyday and just want this process over. :scared:

Agreed! I'm hoping that since match day was today that maybe they'll get moving on post-docs/staff positions. Hang in there! It's going to be amazing when we're finally all set!

For anyone who was worried about the implications of the DSM V on the EPPP (I know I was!) Good news:

Notice: Implications of DSM-V Publication on EPPP Content

The fifth edition of the American Psychiatric Association (APA) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) is scheduled for publication in May 2013. All questions on the EPPP through July 31, 2014 related to the DSM will refer to the DSM-IV. Beginning August 1, 2014, all DSM questions on the EPPP will refer to the DSM-V.

Exam administrations through July 31, 2014: DSM-IV
Exam administrations August 1, 2014 and after: DSM-V

Did anyone here apply to Missouri's neuropsych/rehab pyshc position? Hear anything yet?

On site interview to a UCC I am really excited about! Staff position. PM if you want deets!

To those who have done VA post-doc interviews....did you wear a suit?
Also, does anyone know if VA post-docs offer maternity leave?

I wore a suit to all of my postdoc interviews, yes; although I'm male, so that likely factored heavily into the decision.

As for maternity leave, I'm not sure. I'd imagine they'd give you the time you needed, it just might be partially unpaid if you don't have enough leave saved up.

I interviewed at VAs and AMCs and wore a suit for all of them. I alternated between a navy and a black suit and underneath wore button-downs or blouses that were one color and simple in design. I was advised, by many in the field, to keep my presentation as modest as possible for the VA.

I am unsure about availability of maternity leave since I did not ask.

When is the right time to ask staff positions about including supervision for post doc hours? During the phone, on-site, or negotiation process? Also, do you negotiate moving costs for staff positions? Thanks!

When is the right time to ask staff positions about including supervision for post doc hours? During the phone, on-site, or negotiation process? Also, do you negotiate moving costs for staff positions? Thanks!

I'm in the same boat, wondering the same thing. I'm planning to ask my TD and others tomorrow, so I will post the information I get from them if it seems it will be helpful!

I'm in the same boat, wondering the same thing. I'm planning to ask my TD and others tomorrow, so I will post the information I get from them if it seems it will be helpful!

Ok great, I'll ask and do the same! Thanks!

I interviewed at VAs and AMCs and wore a suit for all of them. I alternated between a navy and a black suit and underneath wore button-downs or blouses that were one color and simple in design. I was advised, by many in the field, to keep my presentation as modest as possible for the VA.

I am unsure about availability of maternity leave since I did not ask.

I don't know about VA maternity leave for post docs, but it is not offered to employees so my guess is that they don't offer it. You have to use sick or vacation. Maybe they'd let you make up the time.

I think I'm struggling with a new disorder called IAS. Interview Addiction Syndrome. If a day goes without an interview offer or follow-up call I feel empty and deflated. I need a fix!

I think I'm struggling with a new disorder called IAS. Interview Addiction Syndrome. If a day goes without an interview offer or follow-up call I feel empty and deflated. I need a fix!

Hahaha, I wish that was my problem! I think I'm suffering from Non-Notification Anxiety. These days and weeks of hearing nothing are really messing with me! :scared:

OMG I adore this quote! Thank you, my deflated ego needed a laugh today. Many of my sites I interviewed at said they are contacting this week and I'm a bit stressed as I have heard silence since Tuesday.