2013 Postdoc Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the thoughts. I had a great UND with multiple offers. I ultimately took my first choice UCC, but it did get complicating! I'm still in shock, but look forward to happy hour with my intern cohort (who also took offers today).

Congrats, I also got an offer from one of my top two, so woo hoo! Glad for this process to be settled and excited to head back to CA!

Members don't see this ad.

I got an offer from The University of Michigan CAPS Post Doc on Thursday night. I accepted the crap out of it. Go BLUE!

jumbo_shot58590882.jpg

Congrats to everyone!!! I accepted an offer on Monday from a site on the east coast. It will mean another big move for me, but it will be an adventure and I'm pretty excited. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to you all! It must feel amazing!

Is anyone else doing multiple on-site staff interviews right now? If so, PM me!

Does anyone know how many staff position candidates sites typically bring on campus?

Anyone else out there still on the hunt for a postdoc/job? Things sure quieted down this past week!

Not sure if anyone is on here anymore but I got 2 offers for staff positions today! My head is spinning I'm so excited!

Not sure if anyone is on here anymore but I got 2 offers for staff positions today! My head is spinning I'm so excited!

:thumbup: Congrats, buddhachick, and well-deserved; very glad to hear it. Now the tough part will be deciding which offer you'll accept, which is always the kind of predicament in which we'd like to find ourselves.

Congrats! I actually turned down a position today in hopes of securing a better one. Here's hoping that was the right decision!

I got an offer from The University of Michigan CAPS Post Doc on Thursday night. I accepted the crap out of it. Go BLUE!

Congrats!

Here is an unsolicited Ann Arbor (Mostly Foodie) Bucket List on a budget:
-Watch a football game at The Big House...108k+ crazy fans never felt so cozy!
-Catch a game or two at Yost...Ice Box is ideal, but it's also an experience.
-Beezy's (in Ypsilanti) for the best french toast you'll ever eat. Great sandwiches too. "The Broken Egg" on the west side of Ann Arbor gets an honorable mention for their eggs, but on game days it is PACKED.
-Spend some time at Ashley's...one of the best beer selections anywhere. Good app specials. The Ashley's Beer Card is highly recommended.
-Blue Tractor Brewing...in the dead of winter order their Triple Mac & Cheese. Artisan pizza is good finger food.
-Grizzly Peak...Prince Edward Island Mussels w. cajun sausage. Heavenly (and can feed 2). Solid burgers too.
-Dominick's for a sangria. The food isn't much to write home about, but the atmosphere (outside patio is rec) is great.
-The Black Pearl for 1/2 price apps & speciality martinis.
-Vineology for fresh & modern dishes...froofy but great quality.
-The Ark and The Blind Pig for live music...the former can have some really gems and the latter is a bit grungy but fun.

I could go on and on....and on. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I actually turned down a position today in hopes of securing a better one. Here's hoping that was the right decision!

I'm sure it was! This is a crazy time with so many risks... Good luck and I hope you get what you're looking for! PM me if you feel comfortable disclosing which ones.

:thumbup: Congrats, buddhachick, and well-deserved; very glad to hear it. Now the tough part will be deciding which offer you'll accept, which is always the kind of predicament in which we'd like to find ourselves.

Thanks! And... agreed :)

Congrats!

Here is an unsolicited Ann Arbor (Mostly Foodie) Bucket List on a budget:
-Watch a football game at The Big House...108k+ crazy fans never felt so cozy!
-Catch a game or two at Yost...Ice Box is ideal, but it's also an experience.
-Beezy's (in Ypsilanti) for the best french toast you'll ever eat. Great sandwiches too. "The Broken Egg" on the west side of Ann Arbor gets an honorable mention for their eggs, but on game days it is PACKED.
-Spend some time at Ashley's...one of the best beer selections anywhere. Good app specials. The Ashley's Beer Card is highly recommended.
-Blue Tractor Brewing...in the dead of winter order their Triple Mac & Cheese. Artisan pizza is good finger food.
-Grizzly Peak...Prince Edward Island Mussels w. cajun sausage. Heavenly (and can feed 2). Solid burgers too.
-Dominick's for a sangria. The food isn't much to write home about, but the atmosphere (outside patio is rec) is great.
-The Black Pearl for 1/2 price apps & speciality martinis.
-Vineology for fresh & modern dishes...froofy but great quality.
-The Ark and The Blind Pig for live music...the former can have some really gems and the latter is a bit grungy but fun.

I could go on and on....and on. :D

You forgot Sidetracks in Ypsi for burgers, Comerica Park for Tigers games, The Joe for Red Wings games, Cafe Habana for Cuban, and ZINGERMAN'S!!

You forgot Sidetracks in Ypsi for burgers, Comerica Park for Tigers games, The Joe for Red Wings games, Cafe Habana for Cuban, and ZINGERMAN'S!!

:thumbup:

I need to leave some gems to search out. ;) I'm not sure if Cafe Habana is still around. I heard the Packard Pub closed down, a personal fav. for Sat. morning pancakes & bacon before kickoff.

Congratulations, hopefully both were good fits professionally and personally! Best of luck!

Thank you! I got another offer and am waiting to hear from my 4th on-site (on Monday) and will hopefully have a decision on Tuesday. I cannot WAIT to just say - done! This is where I'm going! Yay!

It's official! I will be taking a full-time Staff Psychologist position at the University of Vermont beginning in August. I couldn't be happier to be to be making Burlington my new home!!

Best of luck to all of you writers and lurkers still out there on the search. Hopefully I will not be using this board again anytime soon but will watching to see what happens for the rest of you!

CONGRATS Buddhachick. University of Vermont looks like a great program. :) :) :)

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

I am thinking about accepting a postdoc in Texas (I'm currently in North Carolina), but I need to figure out what the licensure requirements are. I looked them up on http://www.tsbep.state.tx.us/files/agencydocs/TSBEPRuleBook.pdf, but the rules don't specifically address whether a certain portion of the postdoc year is required to be face-to-face clinical hours. Does anyone know?

Just to be clear, my question is -- To be licensed in Texas, does my supervised year postdoctoral experience need to include face-to-face clinical hours, or can it all be research/consultation/etc.?

Thanks a bunch!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

I am thinking about accepting a postdoc in Texas (I'm currently in North Carolina), but I need to figure out what the licensure requirements are. I looked them up on http://www.tsbep.state.tx.us/files/agencydocs/TSBEPRuleBook.pdf, but the rules don't specifically address whether a certain portion of the postdoc year is required to be face-to-face clinical hours. Does anyone know?

Just to be clear, my question is -- To be licensed in Texas, does my supervised year postdoctoral experience need to include face-to-face clinical hours, or can it all be research/consultation/etc.?

Thanks a bunch!

I believe, as with most states, it'll need to be face-to-face clinical hours (i.e., work directly with patients/clients in a clinical role that's supervised by a licensed psychologist). I have a few friends going through the TX licensing process right now, and they've all mentioned how grueling (relative to other states) it's been. Thus, I'd suggest emailing/calling the board, as that's the best way to get a definite answer, and TX doesn't sound to be a particularly flexible state.

Thus, I'd suggest emailing/calling the board, as that's the best way to get a definite answer, and TX doesn't sound to be a particularly flexible state.

Definitely contact the board. In my state, research postdocs count as hours for licensure, but I know that this is not always the case.

Definitely contact the board. In my state, research postdocs count as hours for licensure, but I know that this is not always the case.

Oh, I definitely didn't mean to come across as saying that a research postdoc couldn't count for licensure hours, just that I believe the hours would still need to involve face-to-face clinical service delivery of some sort, even if in a research context.

Oh, I definitely didn't mean to come across as saying that a research postdoc couldn't count for licensure hours, just that I believe the hours would still need to involve face-to-face clinical service delivery of some sort, even if in a research context.

Agreed, it's such a confusing process to sort it all out!

Weirdly enough, my soon-to-be postdoc is almost entirely research, most of which will not involve any face-to-face contact of any sort, and yet those hours still count towards licensure in my state. I'm not complaining and will happily count those hours, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I will have 25% dedicated clinical time, so I suppose that could be part of it, but there are other interns in my cohort who have accepted 100% research postdocs, and they're able to count their hours towards licensure as well. Baffling.

Agreed, it's such a confusing process to sort it all out!

Weirdly enough, my soon-to-be postdoc is almost entirely research, most of which will not involve any face-to-face contact of any sort, and yet those hours still count towards licensure in my state. I'm not complaining and will happily count those hours, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I will have 25% dedicated clinical time, so I suppose that could be part of it, but there are other interns in my cohort who have accepted 100% research postdocs, and they're able to count their hours towards licensure as well. Baffling.

Very interesting indeed. I wonder if the fact that it seems to be a formal postdoc is factored into things...?

That, and as you've pointed out, it's likely going to vary significantly from state to state. Thus, contacting the board really is the only surefire way to get a definitive answer.

Hello Everyone,

If any of you are still looking for a great clinical research postdoctoral position, my old one is opening up right now at the University of Alabama. I've been working with Dr. Beverly Thorn on her research into adapting cognitive therapy for chronic pain to make it more accessible to individuals from low socioeconomic strata. The postdoc duties will be to manage her lab, primarily, although it will also include publication and grant-writing.
https://facultyjobs.ua.edu/postings/33238

Let me know if you have any questions!

Dr. Josh Eyer

There are no stipulations for what the hours must be for post-doc in Texas, other than a full year worth. However, Texas requires the EPPP, Jurisprudence examination, and an oral examination in Austin offered only twice per year.

There are no stipulations for what the hours must be for post-doc in Texas, other than a full year worth. However, Texas requires the EPPP, Jurisprudence examination, and an oral examination in Austin offered only twice per year.

I didn't know texas had an oral exam. Does anyone know what the pass rate is? In some states, I hear it is around 50%. I wonder if this is another way to deal with the oversaturation of psychologists. Some licensing boards have made it so tough to get licensed that it may take 2-3 years. My state requires 5 extra classes that are not generally offered in graduate school. Luckily, you can take them online and they are something like 10-20 hours each. Another hassle though when you are very busy and don't have extra money.

Last edited: