2014-2015 APPIC (internship) application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in the same boat. But I gave them a deadline of 10/30 so I figure I will send an email a week or two before that. Did you give them a deadline?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. But I gave them a deadline of 10/30 so I figure I will send an email a week or two before that. Did you give them a deadline?

Not really. I think I probably mentioned that most programs have deadlines starting on 11/1 but I did not give one for my writers. I would like the letters [ideally] a week prior to the end of the month but, again, don't want to appear pushy...

Not really. I think I probably mentioned that most programs have deadlines starting on 11/1 but I did not give one for my writers. I would like the letters [ideally] a week prior to the end of the month but, again, don't want to appear pushy...

Definitely include a deadline.

I think 2-4 weeks before your first due date would be appropriate for an email reminder. So now is fine, if you're especially anxious about it.

I was curious if anyone has any advice on the type of reports state hospitals may be interested in. I have a few malingering (ILK, TOMM, SIRS) and personality reports (MMPI, MCMI, PAI) from state hospitals, but they don't integrate multiple types of assessments in one report (like malingering and personality together), and they are fairly brief (2-3 pages). I also have adhd and learning disability reports that are extensive, but seem inappropriate. I still have time to do more, so any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

I applied to a lot of state hospitals last year, and in my experience, these sites seemed to want integrated reports with at least one cognitive measure (e.g., WAIS) and at least one personality measure (e.g., MMPI). The personality reports you have – do they have a cognitive measure as well? That would be good. And your reports should be longer than what you already have (longer than 2 to 3 pages I mean). These sites like to see a solid integrated report.

Reactions: 1 user
Advice on page limit for cover letters?

Also, what's the preference for "Dear Dr. DCT and Internship Selection Committee" vs "Dear Dr. DCT"

Thoughts? Thanks

Advice on page limit for cover letters?

Also, what's the preference for "Dear Dr. DCT and Internship Selection Committee" vs "Dear Dr. DCT"

Thoughts? Thanks

I tried to limit my cover letters to one page, although a page and a half (including all the other formalities and formatting things like signature block, etc.) is likely ok. Definitely no more than two pages at the absolute most.

As for the other question, I say just go with whichever you're more comfortable writing.

So my husband asked me an interesting question today, and I thought I'd pose it to the group. I am applying to a site, that has multiple tracks, and I am planning on applying to two since they both would be great internship opportunities that fit my clinical interests. However, my husband said I should just pick the one I like best because choosing two makes me look like I am not enthusiastic enough about either one. I explained to him that it is common for people to apply for one or more tracks at a site, but now I'm wondering if he has a point. What does everyone else think? Anyone had multiple interviews at the same site for different tracks have any advice?

As others have said this is common practice. I applied to both forensic and adult tracks and at one interview it was clear several others did as well.

Question about references - my mentor is also my program's DCT. He tells me that he plans to put his letter of reference for me *within* the DCT's verification of readiness section of the application (i.e., rather than just ticking the required box saying I am eligible [which is my understanding of what this section usually consists of?], he will include a full-blown multi-paragraph letter in that space). This (he says) will then allow me to include three *additional* letters of reference from practicum supervisors (since his letter will not technically be taking up one of these spots). He seems pretty sure that this is the way to do it, but it sounds really strange to me that I would get a "free" letter of reference just because my mentor happens to be DCT. Moreover, it seems to me that this might annoy the many sites that have a 3-letter limit, since this seems to be a loopholey way of slipping in 4 letters. Or on the other hand, perhaps sites will miss my mentor's letter entirely, since the DCT verification is more often just boilerplate "yes this student is ready for internship," and perhaps reviewers don't typically look at that section.

Assuming my description of the issue is even coherent - any thoughts?

Our DCT does the same thing. I think it's pretty cool actually.

NC Department of Corrections just advertised Two openings for 14/15 if anyone is trying to start this year. Sounds like a new site.

You don't happen to have an APPIC number for them do you? I would KILL to be back in the NC prison system for internship.

Reactions: 1 users
Site: North Carolina Dept. of Public Safety, Division of Adult Corrections
Accreditation: NO
APPIC Member: NO
Website: http://www.ncdps.gov - Brochure available by email from Dr. Peiper
TD Name and Contact Info: Lewis J. Peiper, Ph.D. - [email protected] - 828-499-0858
Submit applications to: [email protected]
Date/Time Added: Sunday, September 28, 11:45 pm Eastern Time

The NC Department of Public Safety internship program consists of 2 full-time (2000 hour) internship positions for 2014-2015. Interns are exposed to a wide-range of generalist clinical experiences which form the foundation of a culturally-competent, ethical, professional psychologist. Our internship provides a platform for future work in substance abuse, trauma, severe mental illness, community mental health, and integrated healthcare settings. In addition, the NCDPS intern experience provides a wealth of corrections-specific instruction for interns wishing to find permanent employment in a correctional setting. Interns receive instruction in a variety of therapeutic modalities including but not limited to brief and solution focused strategies, crisis intervention, and cognitive-behavioral techniques. Each rotation/site provides a unique internship training experience in terms of age of offenders, length of offender sentence, severity of mental health and medical conditions, outpatient vs. residential, therapeutic opportunities, and overall facility layout. Each site includes the following activities: individual and group therapy, didactic training seminars, multidisciplinary staff consultation, crisis intervention, assessments, treatment planning, and supervision of clinical work. Built into every rotation is the opportunity to engage with staff in other healthcare disciplines including nursing, primary care, dental, among other specialities. Supervising staff have a wide variety of interests and offer training seminars on a variety of topics relevant to interns. Successful interns have a keen appreciation for complex psychopathology, critical-thinking skills, respect for cultural diversity, and good boundaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they are in the process of applying for Accreditation. Due to numbers of applicants many will have to do an unaccredited internship to graduate.

Question about letters of reference in the AAPI:

When I send the reference invitation to my letter-writers, the AAPI has me fill out several fields, such as "title" and "notes".

When I first filled these out, I assumed that only the letter-writer would see them. I didn't know what to put for title, so I put 'registered psychologist'. In 'notes' I put a personal message to the letter writer noting that I would send them other information over email.

Now I am wondering if internship sites will see this 'title' and 'notes'? If I have filled out it wrong, only one of my letters is uploaded - maybe I should cancel the original request to the other two and fill in the fields properly?

Thanks everyone!

Question about letters of reference in the AAPI:

When I send the reference invitation to my letter-writers, the AAPI has me fill out several fields, such as "title" and "notes".

When I first filled these out, I assumed that only the letter-writer would see them. I didn't know what to put for title, so I put 'registered psychologist'. In 'notes' I put a personal message to the letter writer noting that I would send them other information over email.

Now I am wondering if internship sites will see this 'title' and 'notes'? If I have filled out it wrong, only one of my letters is uploaded - maybe I should cancel the original request to the other two and fill in the fields properly?

Thanks everyone!

Things might've changed this year, but I know that over the past two years, the only two things I was able to view in submitted applications were the letters themselves; never saw mention any notes. Then again, there were certainly parts of the applications that I only glanced at/scanned, so I might've missed it.

Hi everyone,

I am having extreme writer's block with all of my essays and cover letters, and I almost wonder if I should put off applying for a year. My top choice is due November 1st, and I don't have any essays or cover letters done yet. I have brainstormed my brains out but just cannot get any of them even started. My CV still needs work. I'm in practicum two days a week, am taking two demanding classes, TAing two classes, I'm an RA on a big project, I'm giving a guest lecture next week that I really need to work on, I'm supposed to be analyzing my data because I'm presenting it all next month….I just honestly don't see how I'm going to get all this done in time for November 1st.

I guess I'm either looking for moral support or for the acknowledgment that this is just not possible. I kind of work well under pressure but it really just seems like there's no way to finish my essays and cover letters in time. On top of it all my birthday is this month so I am losing at least 2 days of work to family commitments etc.

What should I dooo?

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I am having extreme writer's block with all of my essays and cover letters, and I almost wonder if I should put off applying for a year. My top choice is due November 1st, and I don't have any essays or cover letters done yet. I have brainstormed my brains out but just cannot get any of them even started. My CV still needs work. I'm in practicum two days a week, am taking two demanding classes, TAing two classes, I'm an RA on a big project, I'm giving a guest lecture next week that I really need to work on, I'm supposed to be analyzing my data because I'm presenting it all next month….I just honestly don't see how I'm going to get all this done in time for November 1st.

I guess I'm either looking for moral support or for the acknowledgment that this is just not possible. I kind of work well under pressure but it really just seems like there's no way to finish my essays and cover letters in time. On top of it all my birthday is this month so I am losing at least 2 days of work to family commitments etc.

What should I dooo?

Thanks.

Putting off a year cause you are stuglling with 4 one page essays? Come on, man.

If you and your advisor agree that you are truly not prepared for internship, so be it. But dont delay starting your career cause you cant write 4 pages

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

What should I dooo?

Thanks.
I have.a tough time getting going on something like that myself. I scheduled a time and had my wife help me. I always feel more confident when someone I trust is helping. Besides if I screwed it all up then I could have blamed her. :)

Hi everyone,

What should I dooo?

Thanks.

Two weeks should still be plenty of time to get the essays finished. You can also then handle the cover letters on a rolling basis, which is exactly what I did, and which I actually found to be very helpful--my later letters ended up being much more focused than my earlier ones due to the continual revision process.

Thanks everyone. I guess I am putting a lot of pressure on myself for these essays to be really fantastic, which is making me unable to write them at all. Going to lower my standards and just get them done.

Question. So someone in my seminar mentioned there is a FITH optional essay? One that says something like "describe why you want to be at this site and why your are a good fit", basically a cover letter type essay. There USED to be a 5th essay (back in 2008) but they haven't had it for a while because well, it's clearly redundant since thats what we're addressing in the cover letters.
This 5th essay would be IN ADDITION to a cover letter.

Anyone know anything about this?

Last edited:
cover letters are usually required, not optional.

This alleged 5th essay would be in addition to a cover letter.
Obviously cover letters are required. I just heard a rumor that they brought back essay 5, but I can't find information on it to confirm or not.

The APPIC website says nothing about a 5th essay, so I'm guessing that the rumor you heard was fueled by outdated information.

The APPIC website says nothing about a 5th essay, so I'm guessing that the rumor you heard was fueled by outdated information.
Thanks Sardonic!
That's what I thought, because while there used to be that 5th essay it hasn't been for awhile, but suddenly several people in my cohort were worked up about it...and my sleep deprived stressed brain panicked!

Does anyone know whether forensic risk assessment (e.g., risk for violence) would fit under the psychodiagnostic category in the summary of psychologist assessment experience section? Or should I add a separate category? Some of my forensic assessments also included referral questions regarding mental health, so I am planning to add those into the psychodiagnostic category, but am not sure about the referrals that were purely examining risk.

A follow-up question re: cover letters -- and I apologize of already been asked elsewhere --: how important are they, in general, and in comparison to essays. I don't think that I want to write for instance 15 individually tailored ones and would really want to have a general form with some sentences tailored to a site. Do you guys reinvent letters for each site and tailor tailor them? Any thoughts? Thanks!

A follow-up question re: cover letters -- and I apologize of already been asked elsewhere --: how important are they, in general, and in comparison to essays. I don't think that I want to write for instance 15 individually tailored ones and would really want to have a general form with some sentences tailored to a site. Do you guys reinvent letters for each site and tailor tailor them? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Its the most important. Its should be tailored to each site.

Its the most important. Its should be tailored to each site.
Do you think it is more important than essays?? I can see that people read cover-letters first...

I know people have suggested limiting the cover letter to around 1.5 pages.. and I'm definitely personalizing them for each site.. but I'm wondering just how detailed I should be about what I like about sites (e.g., including the minor rotations I like). Can anyone advise?

also a question about cover letters...
I've seen many different versions of cover letters from multiple folks. Some are very short and concise, stating what they are interested in with regard to the particular site. Some seem to focus a lot on previous experience, including intervention hours, report numbers, etc. Others have a good blend of the two.

For those who have reviewed them, what is the most appropriate way to go about this? Also, is there an unspoken format to the cover letters - from paragraph to paragraph?

-thanks in advance

Does anyone know if we are supposed to upload all four essays together in one document or each one separately? As well, are we supposed to place our names on each page in a header or will the application do that for us at some point? Last technical question -- is it best to use PDFs or do word documents work just as well in terms of maintaining proper formatting?

Some are very short and concise, stating what they are interested in with regard to the particular site. Some seem to focus a lot on previous experience, including intervention hours, report numbers, etc. Others have a good blend of the two.

For those who have reviewed them, what is the most appropriate way to go about this? Also, is there an unspoken format to the cover letters - from paragraph to paragraph?

-thanks in advance

"previous experience, including intervention hours, report numbers, etc." is provided on the APPI. The prupose of a cover letter here is no different than it is in the rest of the job market. ItS What you want and what you can bring. Fit. Its not a rehash of your CV or APPI.

"previous experience, including intervention hours, report numbers, etc." is provided on the APPI. The prupose of a cover letter here is no different than it is in the rest of the job market. ItS What you want and what you can bring. Fit. Its not a rehash of your CV or APPI.

Agreed. I personally discussed past experiences, but in a way that directly related them to my chosen sites (e.g., why they'd made me a good fit, both in terms of what I'd already trained in and what I hadn't) and to my ultimate career goals.

Heck, I did the same for my one-page job cover letters as well. "I'm a great fit for this position because of training/accomplishments X, Y, and Z, all of which demonstrate my commitment to factors A, B, and C of your organization."

Does anyone know if we are supposed to upload all four essays together in one document or each one separately? As well, are we supposed to place our names on each page in a header or will the application do that for us at some point? Last technical question -- is it best to use PDFs or do word documents work just as well in terms of maintaining proper formatting?

They all go into 1 document. From the APPIC portal: "You are required to create only one essay document. Should you prefer to tailor your essays per internship program designation, you have the option to create multiple essay documents. Essays should be formatted in sets of four per uploaded document. Please address the following topics in order: "

I think it will include a header. On the APPIC application portal you can view the PDF version of what your application will look like when printed by the site. There is a link on the left hand side that says "view basic AAPI (pdf)." This will give you the full PDF.

Last edited:
I am currently externing at a CC but just started and have not seen that many clients. I Would like to apply to University CCs for internship but am hesitant to ask for a LOR from my current site b/c it is already late in the game and I have started started there. My question: do you guys have any thoughts about how important it would be to have a LOR from a CC supervisor IF applying to similar sites? All other LOR are from faculty or supervisors supervising me at hospital settings. Thanks!!

What's the consensus on applying to a site where you had previously completed a practicum? Do people often get interviews or do sites generally prefer students who have never completed a practicum there? I know this will vary by site but am interested if others are applying to these types of sites or had success doing so in past years.

Thanks everyone. I guess I am putting a lot of pressure on myself for these essays to be really fantastic, which is making me unable to write them at all. Going to lower my standards and just get them done.

Yes, I think lowering your standards is a great idea. I've heard a few people, including my DCT, say that the importance of the essays tends to be over-emphasized. Past applicants from our program have said they were occasionally asked about their autobiographical essay on interviews, and never about the other three. My DCT has said applicants are more likely to hurt themselves by writing an overly "creative" essay than anything else, and there's really nothing wrong with writing essays that are straightforward, and even a little "bland." Most sites will be considering your essays AFTER your CV/practicum experience and cover letter, giving them less importance.

This is all to say - the essays just have to be "good enough." This is doubly true if you feel well-prepared by your practicum and research experiences - if your training is good (and well-described in your CV and cover letter), it will speak for itself. Hopefully viewing your essays in this way will make it easier to get first drafts on paper, which is by far the hardest part.

Question on supplementary materials...I have de-identified reports to use for my applications, but one site I'm applying to says the report needs to be "co-signed by a licensed psychologist." Does this mean I need to have the actual signatures on the report, or just have the psychologist's name/license number on it? Also, they want a psychotherapy case summary that does NOT need to be co-signed. What all does this case summary need to entail? Would a discharge note type of document that outlines presenting problem, conceptualization, treatment interventions, overall improvement, and discharge recommendations be enough?

Thanks for the help!

Not saying this is recommended, but I wrote all of my essays within an hour or two, proofread them and uploaded them to the APPIC. I also wrote the cover letter for the site to which I matched the day the application was due.

I also reviewed applications last year and did not go into excruciating detail on essays. Did they answer the question? Good! That being said, I was looking for reasons to toss applications because there were so many to go through and so many similar/good ones.

Yes, I think lowering your standards is a great idea. I've heard a few people, including my DCT, say that the importance of the essays tends to be over-emphasized. Past applicants from our program have said they were occasionally asked about their autobiographical essay on interviews, and never about the other three. My DCT has said applicants are more likely to hurt themselves by writing an overly "creative" essay than anything else, and there's really nothing wrong with writing essays that are straightforward, and even a little "bland." Most sites will be considering your essays AFTER your CV/practicum experience and cover letter, giving them less importance.

This is all to say - the essays just have to be "good enough." This is doubly true if you feel well-prepared by your practicum and research experiences - if your training is good (and well-described in your CV and cover letter), it will speak for itself. Hopefully viewing your essays in this way will make it easier to get first drafts on paper, which is by far the hardest part.

With things like these, I've always found that just sitting down and writing something, even if it ends up being complete trash (unlikely), is better than staring at a screen for hours on end and trying to come up with the absolute perfect way to open the essay.

Odds are, while you may not like everything that you get down, you're going to like and keep most of it. And revising tends to be much, much easier than creating from scratch.

Can anyone explain the Other Psychological Experience with Students and/or Organizations which is under intervention experience. My understanding is that the intervention experience section should only include face-to-face hours with clients, however, the sections in "Other psychological experience with students and/or organizations" do not seem to be activities that require face-to-face hours. For example "supervision of other students performing intervention and assessment activities" Can we include our TA experiences if we supervised graduate students providing assessment to real clients?

I think that it would depend on what your role was in supervising them. In my program, during your 4th year you serve as a peer supervisor to a 2nd year student. So, you give weekly, hour-long supervision that is supplemental to their faculty supervisor. Since it is formalized supervision over those students' clients, it counts as a form of intervention. However, when I was a TA for an assessment course I primarily just checked their scoring on tests, so that wouldn't count.