2014 Ranking of DS Based on DAT/GPA/Other

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is some information prospective applicants may want to consider before deciding on which school to keep on the list. There is no substitute for being informed and without question, the best information can be found in the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools 2015-2016

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2014 Ranking of DS Based on GPA, DAT, Other SDN 5-20-15.xls
    50 KB · Views: 3,250
Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here is some information prospective applicants may want to consider before deciding on which school to keep on the list. There is no substitute for being informed and without question, the best information can be found in the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools 2015-2016
Thanks a bunch, doc.

UOP's Average Science GPA
2012: 3.4
2013: 3.4
2014: 3.8

Wow

I know UOP always had low GPA, high DAT acceptance because of all the students accepted from their undergrad's pre-dental program.

Times have changed.

I haven't seen the new guide, but New England has 64 students/class, not 130.
The number is listed incorrectly as 130. The file has been corrected.

UOP's Average Science GPA
2012: 3.4
2013: 3.4
2014: 3.8 Wow I know UOP always had low GPA, high DAT acceptance because of all the students accepted from their undergrad's pre-dental program. Times have changed.
You probably went into syncope when you saw the numbers. Unfortunately, they actually represent the graduate means. The correct undergraduate means are 3.45/3.50.

Yeah, I'd hate to see where these numbers are in 3-4 years...
Expect them to remain relatively unchanged. The old adage: "If it is too good to be true, it is probably not true."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just my luck, a couple school's which I am very interested in increased their stats!

Thanks for the great work again, doc. We can definitely see from the trend that the GPA/DAT don't vary much. I still highly recommend people to purchase the actual book. In my opinion, looking at the out of state numbers ( not just the percentages, but exact number per school and how many from your state enrolled) is just as important when building your application portfolio. And of course, the adea book also tells you more about the school's mission, requirements, fee waiver if you're interested in that, etc.

If anyone is interested, UIC College of Dentistry will begin to accept out-of-state applicants starting this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is interested, UIC College of Dentistry will begin to accept out-of-state applicants starting this cycle!

Can you share details of how you know this?

Yeah, it's on their website. And I also don't expect the number to be high lol

Yeah, it's on their website. And I also don't expect the number to be high lol

I'm going to guess they will also look more closely at surrounding states for their OOS populations, WI would be my first guess given the number of underserved areas in WI, probably Indiana too, but that's just a guess.

West Virginia says 49% of their enrollment is OOS. How accurate is this? If this is true then I'm applying there.

West Virginia says 49% of their enrollment is OOS. How accurate is this? If this is true then I'm applying there.

I read the same. I'm sure it's accurate, Doc is pretty good at this :D. What it doesn't show, however, is where those 49% live. It might be a case where they only accept out of state from bordering states?

I read the same. I'm sure it's accurate, Doc is pretty good at this :D. What it doesn't show, however, is where those 49% live. It might be a case where they only accept out of state from bordering states?
I'd definitely like to know the specifics on this. I'm from Alabama, so West Virginia is relatively close to me versus other schools I'll be applying to. If the 49% stands true and it's not from predominantly one state, I'll be adding it to my list. I also noticed Indiana's went up as well. Too bad their prereq requirements did as well :(

AZ-1, CA-1, FL-1, IN-1, MD-5, NC-2, NJ-1, NY-1, OH-2,OK-1, PA-5, TN-1, TX-1, UT-1, VA-4.

I wonder what happened to cause that drop in applications between 2009 and 2010...

I'd say the economy. 2009-2010 were the low points for the market crash, Target was hiring 45 year olds, not 20 year olds. I'm going to guess the "lets apply and see what happens" people didn't want to spend the several thousands to do that???

Gonna bump this since I think it'll help with all the "chance me" threads

Two questions:
1) Does this still apply for 2016 apps?

2) What exactly is the 'Modified SA' formula? and how is it used in regards to the numbers listed under 'Mod SA'?

Thanks.

Two questions:
1) Does this still apply for 2016 apps?

2) What exactly is the 'Modified SA' formula? and how is it used in regards to the numbers listed under 'Mod SA'?

Thanks.
Plug and chug. It's magic.

Two questions: 1) Does this still apply for 2016 apps?
2) What exactly is the 'Modified SA' formula? and how is it used in regards to the numbers listed under 'Mod SA'? Thanks.
It will have to do until ADEA decides to publish updated data.

It will have to do until ADEA decides to publish updated data.

I have quite an average DAT (19AA 20PAT) and an above average GPA (3.77 oGPA, 3.84 sGPA). According to this data, I am qualified for a large number of schools. Many more than I originally considered.
I think what I am trying to ask is how hard and fast do you consider this data? Is my DAT/GPA combination a limiting case or is this generally a good guide to deciding where to apply?

I have quite an average DAT (19AA 20PAT) and an above average GPA (3.77 oGPA, 3.84 sGPA). According to this data, I am qualified for a large number of schools. Many more than I originally considered.
I think what I am trying to ask is how hard and fast do you consider this data? Is my DAT/GPA combination a limiting case or is this generally a good guide to deciding where to apply?
Your GPA is way above average, that's why your Mod SA is higher. Someone who has a 19 AA/3.4 is average on both accounts, and has a 12 on the scale, which seems accurate.