2015-16 TMDSAS Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Were you accepted off any of these waitlists?

• Total voters
The days keep counting down with not hearing anything. Is this year unusual in the amount of people moving off the waitlists?
Have any of you guys heard about/from UTMB Galveston or UT Houston?
Still keeping the hope alive and checking my email like 5 times a day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Texas Update: yesterday a bit of southern hospitality was shown as I saw:
2 UTMB WL offers
1 Texas A&M WL offer
2 UTSA WL offers
all these happy folks were in-state applicants.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I just got accepted off the waitlist at UTHSCSA yesterday!!! I declined A&M and TCOM so spots have opened up there! Goodluck to everyone!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got off the utmb waitlist yesterday, still debating whether I am going to take it or not, if not I will be attending foster

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I got off the utmb waitlist yesterday, still debating whether I am going to take it or not, if not I will be attending foster

Keep us in the know Jav, I'm on the Foster list so I wouldn't mind if you chose to go closer to home (assuming you're IS) so I can be closer to mine =P

Last edited:
I just got accepted off the waitlist at UTHSCSA yesterday!!! I declined A&M and TCOM so spots have opened up there! Goodluck to everyone!!

Thank you!! I hope I get your spot at A&M. If you don't mind, what are your stats?

Last edited:
My girlfriend got into Lubbock at around 1:20 today! Keep the faith :)

How about you, Reggud, where did you get a spot?
I'm currently on the waitlists at Dell, UTSW, and Baylor. I've been accepted to UT Houston and am hoping to hear something by the end of the month.

Reactions: 3 users
Declined my waitlist spot at UTMB, tough decision but could not hold the position any longer knowing people are still waiting. Good luck everybody.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Texas update : The deck is shuffled and being re-dealt! Only 1 0r 2 new acceptances posted up since yesterday, both at Lubbock.
There have been some SDN members specifically stating where they are releasing their spots (or not taking a new WL offer, but staying with the hand they were dealt). I probably won't post freed spots like this again because it makes my brain hurt, but in the last 2 days people said they were letting go of:
TAMU, TCOM, UTMB, UTSA, Lubbock, and UTSW. One of each. Good luck to you if you are one of those WLs!

Texas update : The deck is shuffled and being re-dealt! Only 1 0r 2 new acceptances posted up since yesterday, both at Lubbock.
There have been some SDN members specifically stating where they are releasing their spots (or not taking a new WL offer, but staying with the hand they were dealt). I probably won't post freed spots like this again because it makes my brain hurt, but in the last 2 days people said they were letting go of:
TAMU, TCOM, UTMB, UTSA, Lubbock, and UTSW. One of each. Good luck to you if you are one of those WLs!
Who said they were letting go of a UTSW spot? I must have missed that post.

Thank you so much @wysdoc for your great posts! It has been so nice to see you sharing your info on acceptances.

Do you think it's weird that there has been so little OOS WL movement this season/month? Is this because schools want to line up their In-State students before June 1st, after which they can no longer poach high quality wait-listed applicants that may be accepted elsewhere?

Or do you think Texas schools are just being more preferential to In-State students in general this year? Or something else entirely?
If you look back there have been a good number of out of state WL offers. Remember too that the public Texas schools are required to limit their OOS admissions. I'm not on any admissions committees, just an interested observer and board scroller :)

Reactions: 1 users
Haha, unfortunately I'm all too aware of the 10% limit. The two texas school threads I have been following haven't seen (I believe) any OOS posters getting acceptances since back in 2015, which was why I was curious. At this point I suppose there isn't much else to do but wait and hope for the best!
which 2 Texas schools are you watching?

image.axd-2.jpeg
Texas finish line:
Anyone holding more than one offer now in Texas, be kind and relinquish the spots at the schools you will not attend. Give your fellow Texans a chance to move up to a school dearer to their little hearts. After June 1 the only offers from Texas WLs will be to Texan students who have no other offers, or to out-of staters as space and percentage permits.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
View attachment 204474
Texas finish line:
Anyone holding more than one offer now in Texas, be kind and relinquish the spots at the schools you will not attend. Give your fellow Texans a chance to move up to a school dearer to their little hearts. After June 1 the only offers from Texas WLs will be to Texan students who have no other offers, or to out-of staters as space and percentage permits.
Does this mean those of us already accepted elsewhere have both May 31st and June 1st to be accepted? Or is May 31st the last day we can be accepted? (Sorry if that's a stupid question)
Also, I wanted your opinion, wysdoc, do you think movement could occur today considering its Memorial Day and a holiday? Thanks for all your help!!

Does this mean those of us already accepted elsewhere have both May 31st and June 1st to be accepted? Or is May 31st the last day we can be accepted? (Sorry if that's a stupid question)
Also, I wanted your opinion, wysdoc, do you think movement could occur today considering its Memorial Day and a holiday? Thanks for all your help!!
I don't really know the answers to those questions, sorry, I want to give a gentle nudge to those still deciding or to those who have decided but have not yet notified their schools. The schools certainly know the deadline is near so may do some extra checking :)

Haha, unfortunately I'm all too aware of the 10% limit. The two texas school threads I have been following haven't seen (I believe) any OOS posters getting acceptances since back in 2015, which was why I was curious. At this point I suppose there isn't much else to do but wait and hope for the best!
In terms of the 10% rule, it looks like historically UT Southwestern is more like 15% OOS (231 total, 200 IS, 31 OOS per MSAR). Is there some caveat or limitation to the 10% rule in their case?

Any movement today? Hopefully there's a lot tomorrow for us June 1st folks!

FYI one person got in off the waitlist at TCOM today

Someone found the page with specific time and date deadline: 5 pm June 1. Till tomorrow!
http://tmdsas.com

In terms of the 10% rule, it looks like historically UT Southwestern is more like 15% OOS (231 total, 200 IS, 31 OOS per MSAR). Is there some caveat or limitation to the 10% rule in their case?

I've wondered this as well. PErhaps its 10% for the entire UT system of med schools. meaning one school could be 15% if another school was 5% to eventually average 10% across as school. Pure speculation on my part, but a theory nonetheless.

Update:

2 person were accepted from the WL at RGV and UTH yesterday, opening up slots at San Antonio

I was accepted to UTHSC today about 40 minutes before the deadline. I can safely say this was unexpected.

I am aware of the June 1 deadline but if extreme circumstances arise such as illness, is there a chance schools closer to home offer an acceptance?

June 1 wrap-up - I was expecting to see a lot more action!
I waited until the dust settled and here is what I could find on the Texas school threads. Some who got last-minute offers yesterday are still undecided whether to stay with their prior offer or switch.
5/24 1 offer from UT Houston WL (poster didn't announce on message boards till this week)
5/31 1 accepted from UTRGV WL
1 accepted from UT Houston WL
1 accepted from Texas Tech Lubbock WL
6/1 1 accepted from Dell WL
1 accepted from Texas Tech El Paso WL
1 accepted from UTSA WL
Those who got a WL offer and already had other spots will be choosing one final school, so there will be some spots released soon - these will go to Texans with no prior offers now, or to OOS applicants if the 10% OOS quota develops a gap.

June 1 wrap-up - I was expecting to see a lot more action!
I waited until the dust settled and here is what I could find on the Texas school threads. Some who got last-minute offers yesterday are still undecided whether to stay with their prior offer or switch.
5/24 1 offer from UT Houston WL (poster didn't announce on message boards till this week)
5/31 1 accepted from UTRGV WL
1 accepted from UT Houston WL
1 accepted from Texas Tech Lubbock WL
6/1 1 accepted from Dell WL
1 accepted from Texas Tech El Paso WL
1 accepted from UTSA WL
Those who got a WL offer and already had other spots will be choosing one final school, so there will be some spots released soon - these will go to Texans with no prior offers now, or to OOS applicants if the 10% OOS quota develops a gap.

Thanks for updating everyone! I'm officially headed to TCOM but it was so great keeping tabs with this thread to see where positions were available. Good luck to your son and to the rest of the people here!

Thanks for updating everyone! I'm officially headed to TCOM but it was so great keeping tabs with this thread to see where positions were available. Good luck to your son and to the rest of the people here!
Thanks @navigator, enjoy your summer before school starts!

e17ce0acdae0f2b271dd8b266887d181.jpg

As they say in Texas, you ought to "Dance with the one who brung you"
Thank ya kindly ma'am, for the TMDSAS match spot from February 1.
There will be no switching partners from the Wait-list for this cowboy.

Good luck to the rest of you who may still find your dance partner this go-round.

I know this thread has gone quiet, but any news from the rest of us who didn't match anywhere and are still waitlisted?

Maybe some success stories of acceptances to fuel the fires of hope.

First news I have seen since my last roundup on 6/2 :
6/2 1 accepted from UTRGV WL (in state no prior Texas acceptances)
6/14 1 accepted from UT Houston WL (in state no prior acceptances)

Latest Texas news:
Baylor has sent out emails to all still on WL that their class is complete. At least their letter was nicely worded!
UTRGV starts their classes/orientation on June 27 so no more switching/adding to their class after that.

Latest Texas news:
Baylor has sent out emails to all still on WL that their class is complete. At least their letter was nicely worded!
UTRGV starts their classes/orientation on June 27 so no more switching/adding to their class after that.
Dell's orientation starts June 27th as well.

Is Dell's orientation also a month long?
Is UTRGV's seriously an entire month? That's long! Dell is just one week orientation and then classes start July 5th.
To clarify though, I'm not matriculating there so the info I have is what was planned a month ago. Things may have changed.

I'm in-state and waitlisted at UT Houston and UT San Antonio with no offers. Do I still have a chance? Anybody approximately know how many people remain on the waitlists?

I'm in-state and waitlisted at UT Houston and UT San Antonio with no offers. Do I still have a chance? Anybody approximately know how many people remain on the waitlists?
There is still a small chance until the first day of orientation at each school. One person on SDN got a WL offer from UTSA on June 1 this year and UT Houston offered WL spots most recently on 5/31 and 6/14.